PDA

View Full Version : Wiki leads several sites in blackout

Rand al'Fain
01-18-2012, 02:18 AM
over protest of the bills going through congress as we speak.

For example, the below link would normally lead to wiki's page on WOT, but for the next 24 hours, it will lead to their blackout page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_time

Sarevok
01-18-2012, 03:58 AM
That was weird.. first, it loaded properly, and about 1 minute later the page decided that it was supposed to be blacked out and redirected to the black-out page.
Btw, that page was about the wheel of time as used in Buddhism etc. :p

Figbiscuit
01-18-2012, 04:57 AM
And I can still access the Wiki app off my phone.

DahLliA
01-18-2012, 06:20 AM
And I can still access the Wiki app off my phone.

the app isn't blacked out. only the main english page.

but yeah. to all of you actually in the US. go spam your politicians and get this crime against humanity stopped(for good).

or else you can kiss the internet goodbye.

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Why would those politicians listen? You're not the ones with the deep pockets for campaign contributions and such, so they don't have any obvious reason to be willing to pay attention to you.

ShadowbaneX
01-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Money will buy the votes of people that probably aren't pissed at you. You can have all the campaign contributions you can imagine but if you've done something they hate, you're screwed.

Sei'taer
01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Just called and emailed my senator and congressman. Turns out, Lamar Alexander, who is my senator, is a co-sponsor of the bill. I made sure to give my name and address clearly for the woman I talked to as I argued about the stupidity of this bill and asked that he withdraw his support.

My congressman hasn't decided how to vote yet. I did make sure the man knew my name and address and told him I expected Mr. Cohen to vote against the bill in the house.

Then I emailed both of them and restated my position on the bill and told Mr. Alexander I couldn't believe he was this stupid to co-sponsor a bill that was this ignorant.

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned

Davian93
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
This bill is a travesty but hopefully Google's money can stop it.

Sad that we're back to the Gilded Age and nobody realizes it.

GonzoTheGreat
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Sad that we're back to the Gilded Age and nobody realizes it.
Except of course for those who keep saying it, but obviously they don't count.

Terez
01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Some progress:

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/204773-rubio-reverses-support-of-piracy-bill-as-web-protests

Which is good, because Rubio is pretty influential among conservatives.

Sinistrum
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Yanno what strikes me about this is that I was looking over the list of supporters of the bill and there really is no clear demarcation between the parties. People on both sides are coming out for and against this. That just patently reinforces my douchebag v. turdsammich analogy with regard to the choices of political parties out there.

Terez
01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that this was a lib vs conservative issue...just that Rubio can influence some conservatives. I emailed my representatives (all Republicans, of course) on this a month or so ago, and I got form emails in response assuring me that they were doing their best to protect my internet privacy and my copyrighted material. So I figured I wouldn't bother emailing them again.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that this was a lib vs conservative issue...just that Rubio can influence some conservatives. I emailed my representatives (all Republicans, of course) on this a month or so ago, and I got form emails in response assuring me that they were doing their best to protect my internet privacy and my copyrighted material. So I figured I wouldn't bother emailing them again.

Political doublespeak for "We didn't read it before filing in it the circular file?"

One of the reasons I don't write my congresspeople. I assume that's where everything I'd write would go.

Terez
01-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Political doublespeak for "We didn't read it before filing in it the circular file?"

One of the reasons I don't write my congresspeople. I assume that's where everything I'd write would go.What's funny is that I emailed them via a petition website which had a form email prepared for me, but I deliberately erased the form email and wrote a personalized one.

Davian93
01-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Yanno what strikes me about this is that I was looking over the list of supporters of the bill and there really is no clear demarcation between the parties. People on both sides are coming out for and against this. That just patently reinforces my douchebag v. turdsammich analogy with regard to the choices of political parties out there.

I believe there was some person out there that once said something along the lines of the following: The easiest way to have a successful dictatorship is the allow the appearance of a two party system.

In this case, Corporate interests simply bought both sides to ensure support regardless...and they have been doing so repeatedly in the current era. The same thing happened in the Gilded Age and nobody thought anything of it until finally people like Teddy Roosevelt fought back.

Bryan Blaire
01-18-2012, 01:22 PM
It's not going to stop anything anyway. People are more clever than lawmakers give them credit for, especially when it comes to getting something for nothing. It's sad how much time people will devote to doing that, rather than using the same time to help others (and without giving mind to how much time they are taking to do it that they could be using on other things). We are a selfish people all around. BTW, there's no free market like the all-free market. I do think there's a funny little economic sticking point lost on companies and the gov't here.

Davian93
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
The saddest part of all concerning the new-found opposition to SOPA? It is being led by simply another Corporate interest and not by any sort of actual grass-roots political movement. Google (and its allies) is simply using its corporate leverage/money to oppose the music/movie industry and their reasoning is that it will effect their own profits.

The people dont matter in the least for this debate as they are merely pawns between the two real power brokers here...as is Congress which is bought and paid for.

Sei'taer
01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

One of the reasons I don't write my congresspeople. I assume that's where everything I'd write would go.

That's the reason why I call and then email. I figure that if they hear my voice and get my name, and have to make note of a request to call back with information about how so and so will be voting, that I get more behind it. Then I follow it with an email saying I spoke with Mr. Shithead in your office and here's what we talked about. Now do the duty your constituency put you up there to do.

I could tell that the person I talked to this morning was not in any way happy with me when I was supposed to just hang up after I was told he was a co-sponsor of the bill. I kept her on the phone a good 20 minutes. The trick of it is, don't curse. They can't hang up on you unless you say something nasty to them, so as long as you don't cuss them or call them names, then they have to sit there, even if you don't say a word beyond your name.

Maybe it's useless, but I feel like I'm taking up someones time and they are at least going to bitch about it and remember my name.

Davian93
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Enjoy your stay at the FEMA death camps, 'taer.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah... he's on a list now, isn't he.

Sei'taer
01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Enjoy your stay at the FEMA death camps, 'taer.

Fuck'em. We'll just play Risk on a gameboard instead of online, since the gov't probably wouldn't like that game much anyway.

Bryan Blaire
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Well, yeah, and you aren't supposed to tell them you love it during a security review, it makes them look at you funny. I mean, I'd have figured someone would have gone "Score, patsy!" but No. No one ever even wants to play a game when you call up any more. :(

Anyway, isn't the burden of enforcement of copyright on the producer or other associated business partners by the filing of suits? Maybe they need to work on ways to better protect their crap and not violate the law themselves (such as copy-protection keeping you from making the allowed single copy back-up for video games).

I still think everyone involved has missed the economic underlining here.

Sei'taer
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Well, yeah, and you aren't supposed to tell them you love it during a security review, it makes them look at you funny. I mean, I'd have figured someone would have gone "Score, patsy!" but No. No one ever even wants to play a game when you call up any more. :(

Anyway, isn't the burden of enforcement of copyright on the producer or other associated business partners by the filing of suits? Maybe they need to work on ways to better protect their crap and not violate the law themselves (such as copy-protection keeping you from making the allowed single copy back-up for video games).

I still think everyone involved has missed the economic underlining here.

If you want to play risk online, send me your email and we'll put you in the next game. You'll have to sign up but it's really fun!

Crispin's Crispian
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Sure, Google and Facebook stand to lose if this bill is implemented. It stands to reason that they would take a stand. But I don't understand how that takes away from the underlying public's motivation to fight the bill. Most people who understand what it does see the fundamental problem; thankfully we have a few huge organizations (Mozilla, Wikipedia, and Reddit included) who can be mouthpieces.

Crispin's Crispian
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Well, yeah, and you aren't supposed to tell them you love it during a security review, it makes them look at you funny. I mean, I'd have figured someone would have gone "Score, patsy!" but No. No one ever even wants to play a game when you call up any more.
Not sure why, but for most of this paragraph, I was picturing a security "review" by the TSA when you board a plane. I thought, "that's a fun strategy--say you love it!" but then I wondered why you'd expect them to call you back.

Davian93
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah... he's on a list now, isn't he.

It all goes on your permanent record.

Davian93
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Sure, Google and Facebook stand to lose if this bill is implemented. It stands to reason that they would take a stand. But I don't understand how that takes away from the underlying public's motivation to fight the bill. Most people who understand what it does see the fundamental problem; thankfully we have a few huge organizations (Mozilla, Wikipedia, and Reddit included) who can be mouthpieces.

Most people understand the fundamental problem or at least understand it when someone explains the ramications of the proposed legislation but it is the corporations that are leading the counter-attack against its passage, not the people themselves. The people are simply listening to one corporation in lieu of another. The end result might be the same but the overlying problem of corporate influence is still there.

Firseal
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
FEMA death camps? Please. We all know the death camps are going to be run by the Department of Fish and Game.

And, yes, I am going to be in them too.

Bryan Blaire
01-18-2012, 03:12 PM
There's no Federal Fish and Game, but there is the Dept of Interior, Bureau of Law Enforcement's Fish and Wild Rice! ;) okay, okay, Wildlife. I like mine better.

SDog, I refuse to make my allusion any less oblique! It's right there... It even involved modems and government computer systems, so it's relevant! (probably the only time I get to make that happen)

Davian93
01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
There's no Federal Fish and Game

The first rule of Federal Fish and Game is that we DO NOT TALK ABOUT FEDERAL FISH AND GAME.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
There's no Federal Fish and Game, but there is the Dept of Interior, Bureau of Law Enforcement's Fish and Wild Rice! ;) okay, okay, Wildlife. I like mine better.

SDog, I refuse to make my allusion any less oblique! It's right there... It even involved modems and government computer systems, so it's relevant! (probably the only time I get to make that happen)

Hell, hon. *I* didn't even get it till this post.

Sei'taer
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
The first rule of Federal Fish and Game is that we DO NOT TALK ABOUT FEDERAL FISH AND GAME.

I bet they love monitoring my chat on FB with my friend in Lebanon. I'll keep talking to him too.

Firseal
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Actually, that was a reference to Sci-Fi's Invisible Man TV show, where the super secret agency's cover organization was 'the Department of Fish and Game'. Forgive for the obscure reference.

Terez
01-18-2012, 11:52 PM
That's the reason why I call and then email. I figure that if they hear my voice and get my name, and have to make note of a request to call back with information about how so and so will be voting, that I get more behind it. Then I follow it with an email saying I spoke with Mr. Shithead in your office and here's what we talked about. Now do the duty your constituency put you up there to do.

I could tell that the person I talked to this morning was not in any way happy with me when I was supposed to just hang up after I was told he was a co-sponsor of the bill. I kept her on the phone a good 20 minutes. The trick of it is, don't curse. They can't hang up on you unless you say something nasty to them, so as long as you don't cuss them or call them names, then they have to sit there, even if you don't say a word beyond your name.

Maybe it's useless, but I feel like I'm taking up someones time and they are at least going to bitch about it and remember my name.Doesn't look like he was one of the sponsors that dropped (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars).

GonzoTheGreat
01-19-2012, 03:48 AM
Doesn't look like he was one of the sponsors that dropped (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars).
Perhaps Hollywood can make a movie out of this: Flip Flopping Pipa.

fdsaf3
01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
The saddest part of all concerning the new-found opposition to SOPA? It is being led by simply another Corporate interest and not by any sort of actual grass-roots political movement. Google (and its allies) is simply using its corporate leverage/money to oppose the music/movie industry and their reasoning is that it will effect their own profits.

The people dont matter in the least for this debate as they are merely pawns between the two real power brokers here...as is Congress which is bought and paid for.

I agree...sort of.

At the end of the day, the political gain here is that these bills probably won't pass in their current form. They might come back under a new guise in the future, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, I find it slightly positive that the general public can be rallied to oppose something like this. As you say, we're all being jerked around by this corporation or that one, but that's no more true with this issue than with others.

Khoram
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Fuck'em. We'll just play Risk on a gameboard instead of online, since the gov't probably wouldn't like that game much anyway.

I hope this is you inviting us to your place for a massive game of Risk. ;)

Mort
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

I thought you were going with a Matrix reference, but I guess that one is more appropriate :)

Sopa = "garbage" in swedish

Terez
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Sopa = "garbage" in swedishlol. I bet the Pirate Party loves that little coincidence.

Terez
01-19-2012, 02:01 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly26lyBUqR1qzs5cqo1_500.png

fdsaf3
01-19-2012, 02:03 PM
No high res version of the pic?

Terez
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Best I can do (http://s3.amazonaws.com/propublica/assets/images/sopa-opera-count.png).

PS - If you want to see the current supporters/opponents, go here (http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/).

Tomp
01-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Sopa = "garbage" in swedish

Just to clarify for our international friends (or enemies) here.

Sopa is garbage in a descriptive term.
The meaning is usually that a person is worthless at something.

The noun for "garbage" is sopor (pl).

frenchie
01-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Just to clarify for our international friends (or enemies) here.

Sopa is garbage in a descriptive term.
The meaning is usually that a person is worthless at something.

The noun for "garbage" is sopor (pl).

Sounds like the Italian word gavone. It means pig, but it is used to describe a person that is absolute filth.

Sei'taer
01-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Somebody posted this on FB. Looks like Hollywood is going to fight back over the piracy bill. Nice threat, Chris, hit him where it hurts. This is what it's going to come down to...can Obama be threatened like he was on NDAA?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19/exclusive-hollywood-lobbyist-threatens-to-cut-off-obama-2012-money-over-anti/

Tomp
01-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Fry's reaction to SOPA & PIPA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7FKEuxqZE :)

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Fry's reaction to SOPA & PIPA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7FKEuxqZE :)
Don't worry, as soon as those are signed into law, youtube will be blocked and this violation of copyright won't be available to unpaying parasites anymore.

Zaela Sedai
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Somebody posted this on FB. Looks like Hollywood is going to fight back over the piracy bill. Nice threat, Chris, hit him where it hurts. This is what it's going to come down to...can Obama be threatened like he was on NDAA?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19/exclusive-hollywood-lobbyist-threatens-to-cut-off-obama-2012-money-over-anti/

So that is what our former senator is off doing.... Interesting...,

fdsaf3
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Here's what I don't get: no one, at least that I've heard of, is saying that piracy is good. No one thinks that. The legislation put together in SOPA/PIPA was just awful legislation, pure and simple. I think Hollywood should accept the fact that they helped draft crappy legislation, learn from their mistakes, and try a narrower, more specific law that might actually do something. I honestly think that this is a case where the defeat of a proposed piece of legislation should be viewed as a win for Hollywood - in the long run. Now the conversation about piracy has started. The momentum is there to get a bill passed which addresses some of these issues; it just depends on Congress to see how they'll handle it moving forward.

Davian93
01-20-2012, 11:48 AM
SOPA is Dead (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46072484/ns/technology_and_science-security/)

Nice.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Here's what I don't get: no one, at least that I've heard of, is saying that piracy is good. No one thinks that.
There's the Pirate Party. :p

SOPA is Dead (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46072484/ns/technology_and_science-security/)

It's not dead, it is merely pining for the fjords:
Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid postponed a showdown vote in his chamber on the Protect Intellectual Property Act, or PIPA for short, that had been scheduled for January 24.
Lamar Smith, the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, followed suit, saying his panel would delay action on similar legislation called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, until there is wider agreement on the legislation.

"Criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy," Leahy said.
Is he speaking about Google here? :confused:

Davian93
01-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Postponed in that manner means its dead.

Also, Leahy, my Senator actually, is being a real a$$ about this.

Sei'taer
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Postponed in that manner means its dead.

Also, Leahy, my Senator actually, is being a real a$$ about this.

He got beat by the american public. Don't you know he "RUNS THIS FUCKING PLACE! THEY LISTEN TO ME I DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO THEM! FUCKING PEONS!"

Davian93
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
He got beat by the american public. Don't you know he "RUNS THIS FUCKING PLACE! THEY LISTEN TO ME I DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO THEM! FUCKING PEONS!"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

He looks kinda sad...maybe someone should put a smile on that face.

ShadowbaneX
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
That's awesome! Get the Munchkins ready and queue up "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!" time for the finalé!

Also, someone get control of the flying monkeys before they shit on the audience some more.

Terez
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Here's what I don't get: no one, at least that I've heard of, is saying that piracy is good.
You must not hang out on reddit. Many people argue that it helps sales by giving the artist a wider range of distribution than s/he could have hoped for without piracy. I've even seen Brandon make that argument.

Davian93
01-20-2012, 02:24 PM
I think the number typically given is that more than 80% of people that pirate that item would never have bought it anyway and it acts as free advertising.

Zaela Sedai
01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I think the number typically given is that more than 80% of people that pirate that item would never have bought it anyway and it acts as free advertising.

THIS

at least its the case for me.

Cor Shan
01-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Also that people who pirate music buy more music than people who dont.

The money I save on CDs tends to go to concerts, so its a wash.

And how is it really any different if I use an antenna and a PVR to watch TV compared to Torrenting it?

DahLliA
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM

not sure about the 80%, but I'm willing to bet that the free advertising by far outweighs the lost sales

THIS

at least its the case for me.

this. if it's good, I buy it(music is the slight exception. I've been boicotting CDs for years now(due to the greedy copyright-mob). so if it isn't on Spotify(the greatest thing since sliced bread, and most likely the only reason piracy of music has gone down) if it's good. but I do want to test stuff first(which I should have done with Skyrim on the PS3. last time I preorder a Bethesda game)

Also that people who pirate music buy more music than people who dont.

The money I save on CDs tends to go to concerts, so its a wash.

this. in adition the actual artis make way more money from concerts than from a CD.

Nice.

now we just need your help on this side of the pond to stop ACTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement) and we might for the first time (I've noticed in years) actually have given the corporate dictators a global punch in the face in the name of freedom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JU9N50G3w)

Terez
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Dav, at least your other senator is alright. I wonder if they get along...

Davian93
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Dav, at least your other senator is alright. I wonder if they get along...

From all accounts I've heard....no, they dont particularly care for each other going all the way back to when Sanders was the wacky Socialist mayor of Burlington.

Terez
01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
From all accounts I've heard....no, they dont particularly care for each other going all the way back to when Sanders was the wacky Socialist mayor of Burlington.
In my lifetime, MS senators have always been more or less on the same page. That goes for most MS politicians, I suppose. Of course, for most of my life it was Cochran and Lott. Cochran wanted to retire, but then Lott (who is much younger) retired early so he could get ahead of the revolving door rules. So now Cochran is apparently reluctant to retire because he doesn't want to leave MS with two freshies. Wicker has been in for a while now; he was elected in 2006 after having been appointed to finish Lott's term. So I imagine that Cochran is not too happy with Lott since I'm sure he would like to get on with retirement.