PDA

View Full Version : I am stuck in system repair mode

Anaiya Sedai
01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
well, not me, my newly returned-from-repairs laptop.
I can't cancel it. I can't turn it off and back on.
system restore seems to not go anywhere but then I gave it about half an hour.

help :-(

GonzoTheGreat
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I think that I would call the repairs person and ask what had been done to the laptop, and when it would be usable again.

Anaiya Sedai
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I tried that. he wanted me to do a full format, which I am absolutely trying to avoid...

ShadowbaneX
01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
You can't turn it off? Well, if that's what you want to do, pull the battery. Actually, first try control+alt+delete. That's the universal keyboard shortcut for forcing a computer to reboot. If that doesn't work and you really want it to reboot, then you can try pulling the battery. It pretty much has to turn off at that point. All that said, I've got no idea what will happen when you put it back in and boot it up again. It should, in theory just reboot (and probably go back in to repair mode :-\) but if you want to get around being stuck in it's current mode, that's what I'd suggest. There's a chance that it will resume normal functions though.

Another option is to send it back to the shop, get them to back up your personal info, then have them wipe it and reinstall your OS, then load your personal files back on to it.

Anaiya Sedai
01-19-2012, 02:06 PM
well, I can turn it off, by holding down the power button, but when I start it up it just goes back to repair mode.
tapping f11 gets me into the menu where you can select to restore to last working settings but it doesn't go anywhere from there either.
I've turned it off and will let it cool down now, but I really wanted to watch GoT that I downloaded earlier tonight. it did work fine earlier.. then I went to the bathroom, came back and it was trying to do a startup repair.

confused at birth
01-19-2012, 02:48 PM
you are running windows?

If the copy is legit just pull the drive and copy your files onto another drive then put the windows disk in. it might be able to repair your system as long as you have the admin code, if that doesnt work you do have to format but at least your files have been saved so you will just have to copy them back over

Anaiya Sedai
01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
yeah it's a legit copy of windows, but it came preinstalled (auto correct wanted to say pre insulted :D) and without a disc. I did manage to back everything onto my external hdd, now I am trying to persuade the desktop to take on the backup, but I am not sure how happy it is about that...

confused at birth
01-19-2012, 03:08 PM
if you buy a a preinstalled version it is meant to come with a recovery disc.

I had to deal with something like that in dec(almost put it through the window before it worked again) and I used the disc that came with it I didnt install windows it was on the pc when I got it

Bryan Blaire
01-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I think if it was Windows 7, they stopped supplying the discs themselves and you had to make one yourself. :(

confused at birth
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
I think if it was Windows 7, they stopped supplying the discs themselves and you had to make one yourself.

I know they have been doing that for boot discs since people stopped using floppy discs but a licensed recovery disc should come with each one just in case it crashes so you dont have to pay for another license.

I know that some places that offer free support dont give you the disc to make you dependent on them once free help expires.

If they have done this simple apply a stiletto heel to the testicle of your choice to a member of the tech support team until he gives you the disc

DahLliA
01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
if there's no disc there's usually a button(F10?) that can be pressed that will take you into recovery/format-mode. assuming you haven't wiped the recovery partition on the HDD.

other than that you can have someone make you a USB-bootdrive

WinToFlash (http://wintoflash.com/home/en/) works like a charm

EDIT: of course you have to download the correct OEM-version of Windows so it works with the license-code you have.

someone should be shot at Microsoft for ever letting different suppliers have different Windows-versions ._.

confused at birth
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM
someone should be shot at Microsoft for ever

this sounds like a game :)

replacing windows 98, yes IE is better now yes the photo viewer and mediaplayer are cool the rest has gotten worse with every version.

Every time I have been forced to upgrade to the new version I wish I could reach through my monitor grab the fuckwit that designed this new torture and slam their face into their monitor repeatedly

ShadowbaneX
01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
yeah it's a legit copy of windows, but it came preinstalled (auto correct wanted to say pre insulted :D) and without a disc. I did manage to back everything onto my external hdd, now I am trying to persuade the desktop to take on the backup, but I am not sure how happy it is about that...
if you've got everything backed up, a format & reinstall is probably a very good idea...assuming you can get some form of boot disk that is.

this sounds like a game :)

replacing windows 98, yes IE is better now yes the photo viewer and mediaplayer are cool the rest has gotten worse with every version.

Every time I have been forced to upgrade to the new version I wish I could reach through my monitor grab the fuckwit that designed this new torture and slam their face into their monitor repeatedly

I dunno. I liked upgrading from 95 to 98, 98 to XP & XP to Win7. You'll note I skipped NT, ME, 2000 & Vista though.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I know they have been doing that for boot discs since people stopped using floppy discs but a licensed recovery disc should come with each one just in case it crashes so you dont have to pay for another license.

I know that some places that offer free support dont give you the disc to make you dependent on them once free help expires.

If they have done this simple apply a stiletto heel to the testicle of your choice to a member of the tech support team until he gives you the disc

Nope. We had to make one when we bought our laptop.

Sarevok
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
My Dell came with one, though that's almost 2 years ago by now. (Windows 7)

confused at birth
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Nope. We had to make one when we bought our laptop.

yes windows 7 tells you to make a boot disc, recovery disc and I think it ask for something to do with the registry but all the PCs I know of came with a recovery disc this includes the thousand plus my college got last year.

It must be a laptop issue not enough space in the boxes or something

For some EU countries they dont do them anymore because they have been told they cant do what they like with the computers anymore and windows is sulking

fdsaf3
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I know my way around a computer, but I'm not by any means what you'd call a power or advanced user. I did toy with the idea of dual booting Ubuntu and Windows for a while, but the idea got scrapped when I decided I didn't want the hassle.

That said, I've never really understood the problem people have with Windows. I've been in both a Linux and Windows environment, and to be honest I kind of prefer the Windows environment. Of course it's not perfect, but I just don't understand all the hate.

confused at birth
01-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Windows is a good system its just they keep screwing around with it, every time they add something they take away something good because most people didnt know how to do it anyway so they replace it.

I liked having my pics as backgrounds in my folders then I upgrade and it will not do it anymore, its like for every 2 great knew things I get they take away 1 thing about the old one I loved

Anaiya Sedai
01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
My laptop didn't come with a disc (less than 12 months old).. I did have to format in the end, but the backup saved pretty much everything.

it's always the windows updates that mess with my laptop, something always goes wrong.
how is Linux these days?

fdsaf3
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
how is Linux these days?

I'm not an expert, but in my opinion it's a good alternative if you're willing to be a bit more "hands on" and have things be a bit less straightforward.

that said, it's never been easier to be a Linux user. Maybe it's something worth checking out if you're interested.

Anaiya Sedai
01-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I used to be a software tester for KDE programmes, but that's a good ten years ago now (my god, I think I am getting old).. I haven't really had much to do with Linux since, but a quick google shows KDE are still going strong and looking good.. I just don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle of installing it all...

someone tell me it's not that hard and most definitely worth it?

Firseal
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Whether it has a recovery / boot disc or not depends not on Windows 7 or not, or the question of legitimacy, but on where she bought it. I got my Windows 7 desktop on sale and it didn't have a recovery disc. Had to make one.

So, yeah, not about laptop or memory but where you bought it. But that aside, the question isn't whether it should have one, because the answer is for whatever reason she doesn't.

Anaiya, hate to tell you this, but from what you describe I think a format is in your future. Lifeboat everything you can, preferably to two discrete locations, and prepare to suck it up. On the other hand, I know software exists that can recover, at least partially, data on the other side of a format.

As to Linux... beware the dork side... I mean, cough, ah, I don't have that much experience with the OS but my few run ins gave me just enough familiarity that I would say steer clear if you intend to be casual (at all) with your computer time.

confused at birth
01-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Linux isnt bad it can just be be a pain in the butt to get used to but at least it is better than anything apple has crapped out

DaiShan1981
01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I have to agree with Firseal - you seem to be heading towards a format. But if you have the possibility, I'd say pull the disc out and hook it up to another computer to get all your data. There are adapters for that kind of thing, may cost you like 30/40 bucks but they allow you to hook up any current SATA or IDE disc via USB. Very useful to have in a pinch.

As for OS, I think it's all in the application. Linux can be fast and stable, but you always have to keep an eye on which software is available, and it's a little more high maintenance than Windows, which is still the most widely used and programmed-for OS. OSX is nice for a few specific things. I dual-boot Win7 and OSX Leopard but definitely wouldn't recommend the hassle unless you really have to, or enjoy making computers do what they're not supposed to.

For whoever said the dual boot itself is the hassle; EasyBCD for Windows actually helps a lot with that.

Mort
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
I dunno. I liked upgrading from 95 to 98, 98 to XP & XP to Win7. You'll note I skipped NT, ME, 2000 & Vista though.

2000 wasn't bad. ME though, that was Satan's spawn.

Anaiya: If your comp doesn't work right after you've had it out for repairs, call the store who repared it and get it fixed through them. I don't know what kind of repairs was made, but let's say they changed the harddrive, and they didn't (either by mistake or wasn't supposed to) install stuff for you, that's something you need to know from them. It could also be that the HDD they installed is actually not working 100%, so it needs to be replaced etc.

Call the repair guys before you go all macgyver on the comp.

Fin
01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
i once saw a video for windows cement CE ME NT and oh was it so right except i would trade out nt for 2000 in that if it would still work