PDA

View Full Version : What's really important in life...

Khoram
01-20-2012, 12:55 AM
... is this (http://www.universetoday.com/92746/could-a-death-star-really-destroy-a-planet/). Forget about Egwene-bashing in the General WoT threads, forget about what's happening in next week's game, forget even about that kid you usually feed. This article, and the subsequent paper, are what really matter in life.

Who's with me? :D

ShadowbaneX
01-20-2012, 03:48 AM
Oh, god...they actually mentioned the sun crusher? They just lost any points they just gained.

DahLliA
01-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Oh, god...they actually mentioned the sun crusher? They just lost any points they just gained.

lol. yeah. EU takes a few things too far :p

interesting analysis on the Death Star though

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 05:15 AM
Why not simply use miniature black holes?
Drop one into a planet, and the planet goes boom. Drop it into a star, and the star goes boom.
Sure, it may take a bit longer than the Death Star did, but still, I would be surprised if it were more than a week.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Why not simply use miniature black holes?
Drop one into a planet, and the planet goes boom. Drop it into a star, and the star goes boom.
Sure, it may take a bit longer than the Death Star did, but still, I would be surprised if it were more than a week.

Enough time evacuate a small but significant portion of the planet's population, even if the planet becomes uninhabitable after a few days. The power of the Death Star, both as a weapon and a propaganda tool, is in its ability to destroy a planet instantly and without warning. It's one of the few things in Star Wars that actually just outright works as a storytelling device; it really is terrifying. Even Galactus takes longer to devour a world.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 05:31 AM
And how do you know that you have to evacuate?
By the time the black hole is big enough to really become noticeable, you won't have days, probably not even hours.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 06:31 AM
And how do you know that you have to evacuate?
By the time the black hole is big enough to really become noticeable, you won't have days, probably not even hours.

It still takes time. For a planet to upset the Empire, than a week or so later to be consumed by a black hole, then the Empire to suddenly say "we did that", does not have the propaganda value of simply turning up with the Death Star, firing a laser beam, and looking smug while the planet's wiped out. Everyone can see straight away that that's the work of the Empire and it's supposedly invincible battle station. If the goal was to wipe out the enemy, then sure, the black hole technique would be just as effective. But the goal of the Death Star is not to wipe out the enemy; it's to intimidate the enemy into submission. The Death Star can also be used as a far more direct weapon in that sense; if it shows up in your system, your choices are simply surrender and submit or die (and even if you do the former, you might still die).

Plus, you're missing the greatest advantage of the Death Star: Jar Jar was on Alderan. The beam was targetted on Jar Jar.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Plus, you're missing the greatest advantage of the Death Star: Jar Jar was on Alderan. The beam was targetted on Jar Jar.
Point. Does mean that Darth Vader was the good guy, doesn't it?

Bryan Blaire
01-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Vader's always been the good guy! He went Dark Side for true wuv and came back again for his kid's pain! :p

This is a very funny analysis. The comments were equally funny though: one guy said in response to the Suncrusher comment: "Or you could just have Samantha Carther."

fdsaf3
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
People who posted the comments on this article are like the Theoryland of Star Wars.

Davian93
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
What is good in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, to hear the lamentations of the women!

Also, Sun Crusher? Ugh, those books were like really bad fanfic. Up there with Truce of Bakura...which reads like a 5 year old wrote it.

frenchie
01-20-2012, 08:37 AM
What is good in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, to hear the lamentations of the women!

Also, Sun Crusher? Ugh, those books were like really bad fanfic. Up there with Truce of Bakura...which reads like a 5 year old wrote it.

What, no love for "The Crystal Star"?

Bryan Blaire
01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
That's too funny that you guys like the after episode 6 books so little, because several of my conversations on the Star Wars: the Old Republic game have been with people claiming that those book series were how everything in Star Wars should be and it made me go "Huh!?"

Davian93
01-20-2012, 09:28 AM
That's too funny that you guys like the after episode 6 books so little, because several of my conversations on the Star Wars: the Old Republic game have been with people claiming that those book series were how everything in Star Wars should be and it made me go "Huh!?"

Some have been good...like all the Timothy Zahn ones. Some have been brutally bad fanfic (the Sun Crusher trilogy, Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, etc)

Gilshalos Sedai
01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Vader's always been the good guy! He went Dark Side for true wuv and came back again for his kid's pain! :p

This is a very funny analysis. The comments were equally funny though: one guy said in response to the Suncrusher comment: "Or you could just have Samantha Carther."

She did destroy three solar systems....

Gilshalos Sedai
01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Some have been good...like all the Timothy Zahn ones. Some have been brutally bad fanfic (the Sun Crusher trilogy, Truce at Bakura, Courtship of Princess Leia, etc)

You are dead to me.

Davian93
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
You are dead to me.

What's wrong with them? Sure, there are some stupid parts:

The extra vowel in the clone's names
Furry anti-force treeworms

But overall, Thrawn is the best character in the entire expanded universe and we have Zahn to thank for it.

Gilshalos Sedai
01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
What's wrong with them? Sure, there are some stupid parts:

The extra vowel in the clone's names
Furry anti-force treeworms

But overall, Thrawn is the best character in the entire expanded universe and we have Zahn to thank for it.

Thrawn is a mustache twirling B-Movie villain. And he made Han a moron, Leia a bitch, and Luke Superman.

I hated that trilogy. I stopped reading Star Wars books till Bryan talked me into trying them again.

Sei'taer
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Sun Crusher. That made me laugh.

God, those books were terrible.

Just had to tell you all, a guy where I work part-time is 21 years old. We were talking about Star wars because he bought the new SW game recently. I asked him how he felt about the Han v. Greedo thing being changed and he said "What?" I had to bring him to the house, fire up the old VCR and play the original for him. It blew his mind! LmAO. Kids...

Davian93
01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Thrawn is a mustache twirling B-Movie villain. And he made Han a moron, Leia a bitch, and Luke Superman.

I hated that trilogy. I stopped reading Star Wars books till Bryan talked me into trying them again.

Take it back.

frenchie
01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Sun Crusher. That made me laugh.

God, those books were terrible.

Just had to tell you all, a guy where I work part-time is 21 years old. We were talking about Star wars because he bought the new SW game recently. I asked him how he felt about the Han v. Greedo thing being changed and he said "What?" I had to bring him to the house, fire up the old VCR and play the original for him. It blew his mind! LmAO. Kids...

In one of the more recent EU books, one of the authors commented on this by having Han get into a sticky situation, and a character asked Leia if he was ok, to which Leia responded" Don't worry, Han shot first".

Gilshalos Sedai
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Take it back.

No.

Khoram
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM

The only ones I really read were Rogue Squadron books. I liked getting into the head of Wedge. And other people. I haven't read them all, but I read quite a few of them back in the day.

Crispin's Crispian
01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
The problem with using black holes as weapons is that they are a real logistical bitch. You have to find a way to initiate their existence, contain them in transport until you can plant them where you want them, then activate the density augmentation remotely.

In my experience, the energy requirements for containment alone (dampening the gravity field, creating a perfect vacuum to hinder growth, etc.) make black hole weaponry cost-prohibitive.

GonzoTheGreat
01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
The problem with using black holes as weapons is that they are a real logistical bitch. You have to find a way to initiate their existence, contain them in transport until you can plant them where you want them, then activate the density augmentation remotely.

In my experience, the energy requirements for containment alone (dampening the gravity field, creating a perfect vacuum to hinder growth, etc.) make black hole weaponry cost-prohibitive.
Technical details are for technicians to solve. If they don't, then hokey religions and ancient weapons can be used to teach them their place, which is solving this sort of trivia without bothering their betters with them.

Zombie Sammael
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Technical details are for technicians to solve. If they don't, then hokey religions and ancient weapons can be used to teach them their place, which is solving this sort of trivia without bothering their betters with them.

That sounds exactly like the thinking of a machine to me.

...wait, sorry, wrong disappointing trilogy.

ShadowbaneX
01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
The Rogues & the Wraiths were pretty good. Most of the rest? Yeah, not so much. Especially NJO...that pretty much killed Star Wars for me. :(

Davian93
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
There was one where the Hutts tried to build a Death Star along with what I think was called the Corellian Trilogy that killed it for me. I havent read them since outside the very very occasional reread of the original Thrawn trilogy just for old times sake.

Khoram
01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
There was one where the Hutts tried to build a Death Star along with what I think was called the Corellian Trilogy that killed it for me. I havent read them since outside the very very occasional reread of the original Thrawn trilogy just for old times sake.

The Hutts tried to build a Death Star!? :eek:

Obviously I didn't read those books. -_-

Tomp
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I like several types of music and among them are probably blues and soul music closest to my heart.

One of the worlds greatest blues/soul singers passed away today at the age of 73. She died from Leuchemia.

Ladies & Gentlemen
From a live performance in 2001 of two of her hits, here is Etta James: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2NqUdNH_w&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eKdQ3qh7Y&feature=related

R.I.P. and jam it out with Marvin and Muddy.

Frenzy
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Tomp, you have to be more subtle with your thread derailing attempts. Though kudos for trying to derail a Star Wars thread. Go big or go home, eh?

Ivhon
01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Tomp, you have to be more subtle with your thread derailing attempts. Though kudos for trying to derail a Star Wars thread. Go big or go home, eh?

Seriously. Reach down, get a firm grip on your titty sprinkles and start a new thread with this.

confused at birth
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Reach down, get a firm grip on your titty sprinkles

Why would someone have to reach down for something with the word titty in it...

never mind that made a nasty image appear in my mind

frenchie
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

I don't know what was worse, The Crystal Star or Dark Sabre, but they were both fucking terrible.

Tomp
01-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Why would someone have to reach down for something with the word titty in it...

never mind that made a nasty image appear in my mind

Well there are cows and sheep...;)

Tomp
01-21-2012, 05:25 AM
start a new thread with this.

I didn't think the interest was out there for a whole thread, so I thought I'd sneak it in here.