PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Damane

Fin
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I believe its in winters heart where we encounter Tuon and she mentions her damane telling the future. Is this A) a channeler who has the foretelling being forced into it or b)is this some other effect of the a'dam ?

maleshub
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
My impression is that it is a Talent that some damane show.

GonzoTheGreat
01-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Some damane have this Talent, just as some AS (and other channelers) have it. But the Seanchan have a superstition that all damane have the Talent, hence Tuon's assumption that she can just order a random damane to tell her future. Of course, in that case, it actually worked.

Dajoran
01-24-2012, 05:11 AM
The question is - which one of the fortelling talents is it?

It sound's like Tuon can have this damane brought her to 'read her fortune' whenever she wishes.

"You know that damane can tell fortunes?" She gave him a stern look, likely expecting him to call it superstition, but he nodded curtly.
Some Aes Sedai could Foretell the future. Why not a damane.
"I asked Lidya to tell mine just before I landed at Ebou Dar. This is what she said.

For Perrin and Egwene to fortell they need to be asleep.

An Aes Sedai with Foretelling, this seems to be a random occurance. (Although I am still out on whether some of Elaida's foretellings were fortunately placed or just placed.)

We have Min who can read the pattern, but this negates her speciallity if there are dozens of damane with a similar talent.

Is this a new method of fortelling or can it fall into one of the above.

Zombie Sammael
01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
The question is - which one of the fortelling talents is it?

It sound's like Tuon can have this damane brought her to 'read her fortune' whenever she wishes.

For Perrin and Egwene to fortell they need to be asleep.

An Aes Sedai with Foretelling, this seems to be a random occurance. (Although I am still out on whether some of Elaida's foretellings were fortunately placed or just placed.)

We have Min who can read the pattern, but this negates her speciallity if there are dozens of damane with a similar talent.

Is this a new method of fortelling or can it fall into one of the above.

In one of the early books - TGH I think (don't have my books with me) - Moiraine asks "Has any sister been able to do a foretelling?". I think there's an implication that those who are strongly able to foretell have some control over it, and that in fact Elaida is relatively weak in this area (possibly Gitara as well). All that matters, therefore, is that the damane in question is slightly stronger and able to do it at will. Well, her sul'dam's will.

GonzoTheGreat
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM
What RJ said about this:
RJ's blog 22 November 2005 "I'M BAAAA-AAACK"

Tuon is stating a misbelief [that damane can tell fortunes], really, a Seanchan urban folk tale, if you will. The Seanchan no longer know about Foretelling — though they are beginning to hear reports – but they have memories of the knowledge, you might say. There memories have gotten twisted into the widespread belief that any damane can tell your fortune. This belief is strengthened by the fact that some damane actually can Foretell, and more of them than on "this" side of the Aryth Ocean, a facet of sul'dam remaining in the breeding pool with the result that there are a higher percentage of women who potentially could channel among the Seanchan than on the Eastern side of the ocean. And also a higher percentage of many Talents.

Dajoran
01-24-2012, 08:49 AM
In one of the early books - TGH I think (don't have my books with me) - Moiraine asks "Has any sister been able to do a foretelling?". I think there's an implication that those who are strongly able to foretell have some control over it, and that in fact Elaida is relatively weak in this area (possibly Gitara as well). All that matters, therefore, is that the damane in question is slightly stronger and able to do it at will. Well, her sul'dam's will.

Here's your quote:

“Still,” Moiraine said, “three at the same time cannot be ignored. Has any sister been able to do a Foretelling?” It was a slight chance-few Aes Sedai had manifested any part of that Talent, even the smallest part, in centuries-so she was not surprised when Anaiya shook her head. Not surprised, but a little relieved.

But I'm going to half agree with you above - I like instead the idea that a person with a strong Talent in Foretelling is the one who would have the least control in it. i.e. Gitara - and maybe the AoL Aes Sedai who I can't recall at the moment that both fortold the rebirth. Smack - major dragon foretellage - dead.

EDIT: Sorry Gonzo, I didn't see your reply there... I keep leaving my reply screen open without hitting post >_<