PDA

View Full Version : IT-question

yks 6nnetu hing
01-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Ok, so I know there are lots of IT people here, maybe one of you can help me:

My company is looking for an application where you can have a list which is visible depending on the login credentials (e.g. user 1 only sees what they themselves have entered, user 2 only sees what they themselves have entered and what their team has entered) - the list needs to be modifiable by the users in real time and needs to be online with minimal installing/certificates necessary for the users.

Now, I know that there are lots of options out there: I oculd build a simple website that's linked to a small database or go for a Microsoft SharePoint-like solution but the thing is, I don't want to go for an option that's a huge overkill. Any suggestions for a simple and easy to use/set up thingy?

Davian93
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Other than the online part, Access can be used for such an application.

Sharepoint works quite well for such things in my experience at least. We use it for almost everything in my office...with Access databases set up for internal tracking with the same log-in/credentialing requirements.

Mort
01-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Is it supposed to just be a simple list with items on a sheet of paper, or cell-like as in excel or something else?

I don't know of any simple application or web service that does what you want, not on a item by item basis anyway. Except the database solutions that is.

Google Docs has sharing capability where you can share a document between different people, edit it real-time with multiple people logged in and using the document. But it doesn't let you pick what the other users gets to see in that document. Is that enough or does it really have to be invisible and secret to all the others?
If it's about knowing what is your list items or not, what about color coding the items?

And if you are only gonna be able to see your own items, why not use separate lists?

yks 6nnetu hing
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
And if you are only gonna be able to see your own items, why not use separate lists?

because some stuff is (temporarily) management level only.

I was afraid of that: database development for a stupid simple list....