PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY GAIDIN!!

Zaela Sedai
01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
I guess you need clarification...

Happy Birthday DAI!!

Well... it's your birthday where you are, if not here yet ;)

Hope you enjoy it, I am sure YKS will treat you accordingly.... mwahahahha:D

This is the best I could find, you better like it, if you don't you WILL say you did.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Zaela/154_cake1lowres_smaller_1318x211.jpg

Isabel
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Happy birthday Dai :)))) Hope you have a wonderfull day.

Firseal
01-25-2012, 01:35 AM
"Happy birthday to you
We made you some stew
It was supposed to be a cake
So we put candles in too!"

Happy birthday.

Cor Shan
01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Oh right, Dai Shan and I share a birthday.
Happy Birthday!

yks 6nnetu hing
01-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Happy birthday Dai! awesome cake Zae :D

and happy birthday Cor!

Ishara
01-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Happy birthday, pal! Can't wait to buy you a drink in April! In the meantime, I'm sure yks will treat you right. ;)

SauceyBlueConfetti
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Happy Birthday Dai (glad you are back!) and Cor too!

Khoram
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

And Cor! Happy Birthday to you too! :D

WinespringBrother
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
happy birthday !!

Ivhon
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Happy Birthsday, Dai and Cor!

Zombie Sammael
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Are the Shans twins, or were they both just recycled into new usernames at the same time? Either way, happy birthday to you both!

DaiShan1981
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you, my Aes Sedai! That is a fantastic cake, even if you require me to say so ;)
Thank you, Yks, always the Yks for me :)
Happy birthday, Cor Shan, I didn't realize we shared more than the partial nickname! Add Alicia Keys to the list too, if you didn't know.

No, Zombie Sammael, we're not related in any way, it's pure happenstance. I'm pretty sure I was around first but then I was away for ages.

Thanks everyone else for all the congratulations too! It's not always fun getting older but you guys do take the sting out of it!

Zaela Sedai
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah Cor started around when I did. Except that, Sini waste original Cor Shan right?

Cor Shan
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah Cor started around when I did. Except that, Sini waste original Cor Shan right?

Yeah, Myself, Zaela, Yks all started around the same time. I have no idea what you mean about Sini.

The names and birthdays thing is just a weird coincidence.

Zombie Sammael
01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Sini was originally called Cor Sinistrum, no? Strange to think i actually remember you all starting, but Terez was after my time.

DaiShan1981
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Zombie Sammael, you remember Yks and CS and Zae starting on the boards? I was pretty active here around then, did you go by a different name? Or were you just not on the non-WoT part yet?
I think I left the WoT boards well before I did the non-WoT. Strang but I don't remember you from back then... Sorry!

Zombie Sammael
01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Zombie Sammael, you remember Yks and CS and Zae starting on the boards? I was pretty active here around then, did you go by a different name? Or were you just not on the non-WoT part yet?
I think I left the WoT boards well before I did the non-WoT. Strang but I don't remember you from back then... Sorry!

Check my Sig. Although to be honest, I was never as active on TL as I am now.

Terez
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I missed your birthday by 4 minutes, but I just found the cake that I got for my 10th birthday.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Terez27/pianocake.png

I also found one with 88 keys:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Terez27/Screenshot2012-01-25at50213PM.png

It's still your birthday here for 7 more hours. :)

Zaela Sedai
01-25-2012, 07:32 PM
That's awesome T, better than any of the piano cakes I found... though I switch my search from piano...

Terez
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I searched '88 keys birthday cake', lol.

pops taer
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
And I was one of the group Cor and Zae!!! I think we all started around Jan of 2003 plus or minus a bit.

Sarevok
01-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Happy birthday, Dai! :)

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2012, 04:03 AM
And I was one of the group Cor and Zae!!! I think we all started around Jan of 2003 plus or minus a bit.
Surely you're not that old? :eek:

DaiShan1981
01-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Those cakes are awesome Terez!
Though I'm more of a synth guy than a piano one most of the time, at least compared to most of my pro-keyboardist buddies ;)

Zombie Sammael, I do remember Gnat and I think even a Beidomon? Were you around before me then? I'm definitely not one of the "founding fathers" but I was here at least a year before Zae and Yks and that bunch. If my math is right I think it must even be 2001, though originally I wasn't really on the forums, more on the old TL part. Where I had to dodge the "Buffy" button for quite some time still, haha.

Zombie Sammael
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Though I'm more of a synth guy than a piano one most of the time, at least compared to most of my pro-keyboardist buddies ;)

Zombie Sammael, I do remember Gnat and I think even a Beidomon? Were you around before me then? I'm definitely not one of the "founding fathers" but I was here at least a year before Zae and Yks and that bunch. If my math is right I think it must even be 2001, though originally I wasn't really on the forums, more on the old TL part. Where I had to dodge the "Buffy" button for quite some time still, haha.

I was Beidomon before I was Gnat, back in the days of the White Tower board. I'm not sure if i was ever registered as Beidomon here, but I've always been more of a message boards guy than a front pager. As for the reasons for the name changes.... I'm sure you can find out if you ask the right people. I was a dumb kid back then (and... cue!).

Terez
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Though I'm more of a synth guy than a piano one most of the time, at least compared to most of my pro-keyboardist buddies ;)Well sure, but all the electronic keyboard cakes had names on them. And surely you enjoy an acoustic every now and then? I am personally very picky about having my 88 keys even if I'm playing a synthesizer...

Zaela Sedai
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm sure you can find out if you ask the right people. I was a dumb kid back then (and... cue!).

Yeah - I remember everyone saying how fitting it was that your handle was Gnat ;)

DaiShan1981
01-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Well sure, but all the electronic keyboard cakes had names on them. And surely you enjoy an acoustic every now and then? I am personally very picky about having my 88 keys even if I'm playing a synthesizer...
Oh I play a grand at least twice a week for work, and am happy I get the chance since I don't own one. I enjoy it and it keeps my touché in shape.
But I just love sound design and twisting knobs and such, and I think I'm comparatively better at it than my colleagues, who are for instance better at hardcore jazz piano. They were practicing bebop licks while I was practicing differentiating between oscillators, that kind of thing.

God I'm such a geek.

Terez
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Oh I play a grand at least twice a week for work, and am happy I get the chance since I don't own one. I enjoy it and it keeps my touché in shape.
But I just love sound design and twisting knobs and such, and I think I'm comparatively better at it than my colleagues, who are for instance better at hardcore jazz piano. They were practicing bebop licks while I was practicing differentiating between oscillators, that kind of thing.

God I'm such a geek.I am pretty stupid when it comes to the technical side of it. I can't even figure out good settings for my recording device, and I have friends trying to convince me to get proper external mics. And I'm like... :confused: All I can do is play. :( And while I do get to practice on a baby grand regularly, it's pretty horrible. Sometimes I have to drive an hour to my school town just to touch a Steinway. If only they didn't cost as much as a house...

I did manage to record myself doing the pedal track for Bach's organ passacaglia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3d1oX_Uno) so that I could practice the manuals over the pedal. I was rather impressed with myself for managing that.

DaiShan1981
01-27-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm pretty impressed with you for playing that, even if you pre-recorded the pedals :)

What kind of recording thingy do you have? One of those little Zoom or Boss devices? I'm more of a software guy (meaning, computer with soundcard and mics) when it comes to recording, but if you're interested, I might be able to lend a hand. Though it would be easiest be far if you came to the con ;)

Terez
01-27-2012, 04:20 AM
I'm pretty impressed with you for playing that, even if you pre-recorded the pedals :)The manual parts are not too bad actually. It's got some nifty finger-twisting challenges, but nothing like, say, Chopin etudes. The pedal part was more challenging (I've never tried to learn organ pedaling before), and I only got to practice it every now and then, always in the middle of the night when the school auditorium (where they have a real organ) was free. But then I got to the point where I just didn't have the time to sacrifice for practicing organ at all because I needed to do so much work on piano, and every time I got to go into the auditorium I was on the Steinway. So I worked up the manual parts on my keyboard but never really worked up the whole thing.
What kind of recording thingy do you have? One of those little Zoom or Boss devices?I have a Microtrack II, which annoys me because the power button is defective. (Sometimes it won't come on even when it's fully charged.) I use the rinky-dink microphone that came with it. I don't even know how to set recording levels properly; I think this is mostly because I don't have the patience to experiment with things when I have no clue really what I'm doing. My friends all tell me that I have to catch the 'sweet spot' for the concert grand, which is about 4' out and 6' up from the curve of the piano, and I'm thinking, how am I supposed to rig it to where my microphone is right at that spot??
I'm more of a software guy (meaning, computer with soundcard and mics) when it comes to recording, but if you're interested, I might be able to lend a hand. Though it would be easiest be far if you came to the con ;)I am definitely interested in learning more about recording. I have to make some good recordings by the end of the semester (when I'll have to turn in my keys), so anything I can do to improve the recording quality will be helpful. I just don't have a lot of money to be spending on equipment and software. :( Also, I will probably be at JordanCon so long as there are no major fallouts before then, lol. With me, you can never tell when that's going to happen. I just don't post in the threads because I assume people don't care whether or not I will be there. :p

DaiShan1981
01-27-2012, 04:31 AM

Actually I did some looking and more math, and I myself joined the forum parts in Feb of 2003, later than I thought, but I know I was on the "regular" TL part a few months to half a year before. I think you and Yks and Zae all joined in November or December of 2003 then, or perhaps Jan 2004 in your case. I remember seeing Yks on the boards in November 2003, and talking to Zae in chat in January 2004.

Sounds like a party next year! Can't believe it's been almost ten years already!

[EDIT]: I just found you, Pops, you actually outdate me by like three weeks! :) Zaela and Cor and Yks were much later though.

DaiShan1981
01-27-2012, 04:47 AM
The manual parts are not too bad actually. It's got some nifty finger-twisting challenges, but nothing like, say, Chopin etudes. The pedal part was more challenging (I've never tried to learn organ pedaling before), and I only got to practice it every now and then, always in the middle of the night when the school auditorium (where they have a real organ) was free. But then I got to the point where I just didn't have the time to sacrifice for practicing organ at all because I needed to do so much work on piano, and every time I got to go into the auditorium I was on the Steinway. So I worked up the manual parts on my keyboard but never really worked up the whole thing.
Well honestly I just don't have the patience to study classical. I know a Chopin Nocturne (the famousest one I think) and a few simple Bach things just because I was interested in them long enough to learn them. I'm much more into pop and jazz and (partially) improv-based stuff in general. The funny thing is I actually do play "classical" stuff for the ballet lessons I comp for twice a week, but that's more improvisation that I try to make sound classical.

I have a Microtrack II, which annoys me because the power button is defective. (Sometimes it won't come on even when it's fully charged.) I use the rinky-dink microphone that came with it. I don't even know how to set recording levels properly; I think this is mostly because I don't have the patience to experiment with things when I have no clue really what I'm doing. My friends all tell me that I have to catch the 'sweet spot' for the concert grand, which is about 4' out and 6' up from the curve of the piano, and I'm thinking, how am I supposed to rig it to where my microphone is right at that spot??
Ah I think those things are pretty similar to the Zoom and Boss/Roland ones I meant. Basically a replacement of the old-school minidisc recorders. They're obviously limited in what you can achieve but I'm pretty sure I could improve on what you get so far, or at least explain where the problems are.

As for the "sweet spot", I'm not sure that you could state it like your friends do, that it's always there. It depends a lot on the room, the piano, the performance, and the sound you're going for. I usually mic a piano close, with one mic close to the high free ringing strings and one mic halfway in the wing pointing up at the lid. The mids always come through anyways. But then you get quite a "poppy" sound. I can imagine you want a little more "room" for classical stuff, so putting the thing outside of the body entirely would get you that. As for "how do I fix it in place there" - that never changes; if you can hear that that's the sweet spot, use ropes, tape, furniture (preferable something that doesn't interfere with room acoustics too much), whatever works.

I am definitely interested in learning more about recording. I have to make some good recordings by the end of the semester (when I'll have to turn in my keys), so anything I can do to improve the recording quality will be helpful. I just don't have a lot of money to be spending on equipment and software. :( Also, I will probably be at JordanCon so long as there are no major fallouts before then, lol. With me, you can never tell when that's going to happen. I just don't post in the threads because I assume people don't care whether or not I will be there. :p
The reason I prefer software is because of the big screen and the ease of editing and redoing stuff. Obviously a little recorder like you have is a lot easier to bring. But going back and redoing bits, or layering, or cutting and pasting, or putting on fx are all either impossible or really finicky. But I'll have my laptop with to the con, if you bring your Microtrack, we can look for a piano in the hotel :)
I still won't have my mics or soundcard, but it'll be enough to explain and improve I think.

Also, as long as you're not attempting to record an orchestra or produce a new broadcast charts hit, you don't actually need a crazy expensive soundcard or software. Usually you get something with the soundcard actually. If you wanted to go that route, anyway.

Terez
01-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Well honestly I just don't have the patience to study classical. I know a Chopin Nocturne (the famousest one I think)Ugh, not the E-flat major one? Even Chopin thought that one was cheesy! :) (It's really quite nice, but nowhere near as profound as, say, the D-flat major or later C-minor nocturnes.)

I'm much more into pop and jazz and (partially) improv-based stuff in general.I'm into jazz, but I can't really play it, which is partly a training deficit and partly a matter of confidence. I sat in with a jazz band once, and it drove me crazy because they were so loud I couldn't hear myself, and I really depend on my ear when I'm playing (despite knowing the keyboard by sight as well as can be expected...it's just a hangup).

As for the "sweet spot", I'm not sure that you could state it like your friends do, that it's always there.To be fair to my friends, they didn't put it quite like that; that was just their estimate for where to start based on the description of the room.

The reason I prefer software is because of the big screen and the ease of editing and redoing stuff. Obviously a little recorder like you have is a lot easier to bring. But going back and redoing bits, or layering, or cutting and pasting, or putting on fx are all either impossible or really finicky.Well, I always import my audio to my laptop to edit it. Not that I have much in the way of editing skills. It usually amounts to chopping off the beginning and end. For that I use Audacity, and you can zoom in for precise editing.

But I'll have my laptop with to the con, if you bring your Microtrack, we can look for a piano in the hotel :)At the hotel we usually use, they have an old Yamaha baby grand which looks really crappy but plays surprisingly well for a piano that's obviously not maintained regularly and gets treated badly. But we're at a different hotel this year, so no telling if there will be a piano at all.

DaiShan1981
01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Ugh, not the E-flat major one? Even Chopin thought that one was cheesy! :) (It's really quite nice, but nowhere near as profound as, say, the D-flat major or later C-minor nocturnes.)

Of course that one! But that's because the only classical pieces I know are the ones I thought were pretty when I was 13. I just can't be bothered to learn all the notes that meticulously, I get bored.
I'm into jazz, but I can't really play it, which is partly a training deficit and partly a matter of confidence. I sat in with a jazz band once, and it drove me crazy because they were so loud I couldn't hear myself, and I really depend on my ear when I'm playing (despite knowing the keyboard by sight as well as can be expected...it's just a hangup).
That's funny, I don't know a single classically trained person who depends on ear, to be honest. Most of them are like fish on dry land without sheet music, in my experience. No offense intended, I couldn't do what they do either.

Well, I always import my audio to my laptop to edit it. Not that I have much in the way of editing skills. It usually amounts to chopping off the beginning and end. For that I use Audacity, and you can zoom in for precise editing.
Right, I don't use Audacity myself but I know it, should be fine for your purposes, with room to expand easily.

At the hotel we usually use, they have an old Yamaha baby grand which looks really crappy but plays surprisingly well for a piano that's obviously not maintained regularly and gets treated badly. But we're at a different hotel this year, so no telling if there will be a piano at all.
It's not a real hotel if there's no piano! :-P

Sarevok
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Hehe... You two make me feel like a noob when it comes to music. :(

Fwiw, I depend on sheet music too... I suck at improvising. Which is kinda sad, since I play saxophone. :(

Terez
01-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Of course that one! But that's because the only classical pieces I know are the ones I thought were pretty when I was 13. I just can't be bothered to learn all the notes that meticulously, I get bored.I understand. Learning notes meticulously is a pain in the ass, and honestly I suck at it. But the goals are worth working toward, so I don't get bored. Well, I would if I was working on that nocturne. :p

That's funny, I don't know a single classically trained person who depends on ear, to be honest. Most of them are like fish on dry land without sheet music, in my experience. No offense intended, I couldn't do what they do either.I think it's because I grew up with a piano in the house, but didn't start learning to read music until I was 7. So I already played by ear at that point. I had already taught myself the key signatures and everything, just using my ear. If you know some standards, we can jam at the Con, though. I just can't walk a bass or comp, so you'll have to let me do the improv. :p

Also, I'm weird because I hate reading music. I can read music well, but I like to memorize stuff really quickly so that I don't have to use the music any more. And I can memorize quickly because I half- play by ear.

It's not a real hotel if there's no piano! :-PI agree! Hopefully all the hoteliers out there are paying attention. Hotels with pianos are getting less common, though. They say the Age of the Piano is over. :( I can always bring my keyboard, though. I need to get a new power cord for it...I hope that's all that's wrong with it...