PDA

View Full Version : So we're screwed anyways

DahLliA
01-26-2012, 05:37 AM
http://www.webpronews.com/president-obama-doesnt-support-sopa-but-signs-acta-2012-01

you stopped SOPA, but it didn't help all that much.

not that ACTA is news to me, but even I didn't know that the US had already signed.

the EU will sign today. so we might wanna stop posting links to other pages soon...

Davian93
01-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Doesnt particularly sound as if he actually has that authority under our Constitution...so much ado about nothing perhaps.

DahLliA
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Doesnt particularly sound as if he actually has that authority under our Constitution...so much ado about nothing perhaps.

still something to think about. he publicly opposes SOPA while signing ACTA "under the table".

GonzoTheGreat
01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
That's the whole point of ACTA, isn't it: that it is a secret law which can be used to start persecuting people all over the world. It's the same here in Europe: we weren't really (or at all, come to that) informed about it either.

yks 6nnetu hing
01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
That's the whole point of ACTA, isn't it: that it is a secret law which can be used to start persecuting people all over the world. It's the same here in Europe: we weren't really (or at all, come to that) informed about it either.

Speak for yourself, Estonian media is buzzing with indignation. Though, true, a bit later than would have been useful.

in other news, there's a new Press Freedom index (http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2011-2012,1043.html) A bit shocking that US is down to 47 :eek:

Bryan Blaire
01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I think that ACTA and it's Constitionality in the States probably has everything to do with how it would be applied here. I'm not 100% familiar with what it says, but if it is about anti-counterfeiting as the title suggests, US Customs has been able to enforce certain levels of compliance with this sort of product for a long time now. Now, depending on how this was pursued and under who's regulations, the President would have some authority to incorporate concepts found in various international anti-counterfeiting plans without necessarily having to have Congress' consent, as his managing of the Executive branch is directly his purvue, provided any new measures do not step outside the bounds established by our current law in this regard.

Would his signature mean anything if he tried to directly alter legislation to incorporate new international legalities without Congress agreeing, probably not, but if it happened and Congress was made to care, I would think they'd have to impeach him before they could revoke any instructions given by him directly to the Executive Branch.

TBH, I'm not surprised that our press has a low freedom number: 1) try are owned by corporations who, no matter how hands off they are with the press dept, have their own interests that surely influence stories run and 2) our press has never been quite as "free" as people really think it has, heck, they helped hide certain scandalous information from the American people in the past.

DahLliA
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM

true.

they've pretty much done everything possible to hide it. and it's worked.

and I don't get that press freedom list. why did they go from -10 to 0 and then up?

why not go from 0 and up?

and one can discuss at length how "free" the Norwegian press is when 80-90% of the people who work in it admit they lean far left.

EDIT: I need to learn to read: "In order to have a bigger spread in the scores and increase the differentiation between countries, this year’s questionnaire had more answers assigning negative points. That is why countries at the top of the index have negative scores this year."

Terez
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Speak for yourself, Estonian media is buzzing with indignation. Though, true, a bit later than would have been useful.

in other news, there's a new Press Freedom index (http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2011-2012,1043.html) A bit shocking that US is down to 47 :eek:The article suggests it's because of the horrible coverage of OWS (which was often just non-coverage).

Abbaaddon
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
France is 38 yay !
Just kidding, if find it shocking too.
As for Sopa/Pipa/Acta, there has been a huge contestation in France, but there had been some foreshadowing of these events.
For instance, a meeting took place some months ago in which the big companies such as Apple, Orange or Microsoft almost secretely talked with EU deputies in order to set up a new way to dirstibute the Internet access for EU citizens. They want to put up some forfaits in which you have access to restricted content. Let me explain: the basic internet access will be 29.9$ a month. But you'll only be able to get open:blank on your navigator. Youtube, google and some others will cost 5$ more per month and so on.
With some friends we made the calculation based on our current use of the Internet (surfing, playing,...) and the result is quite shocking: 70$ per month...
Adding that to the Acta will only lead to the explosion of pirates networks IMO

SonofElvis
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
The good news is that the people who try to enforce this kind of thing will always be one step behind the pirates and hackers and pretty much everyone else.

As for press freedom and bias, I get my news from AlJazeera English. Phenomenal, just check it out. Be warned, though, many of the images are uncensored.

Check it out here. (http://www.aljazeera.com/) Kill a few minutes.