PDA

View Full Version : Would Asmodean Have Betrayed Rand If He Survived?

Cortar
01-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Pretend for a moment that Asmodean WASN'T killed in book 5. Also suspend disbelief and pretend nothing else in the book changed drastically.

If so, then would Asmodean have betrayed Rand further on in the series? Would he have gone back to the Darkside of the Force? Even after his shield was supposed to have dissolved?

PS: I tried making a poll but I couldn't find it....

Davian93
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Personally I doubt it simply because he was still the weak man on the totem poll for the Forsaken even without the shield and he would have been horribly punished for his initial betrayal. I think Rand was his final option all along.

Green Man 22
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Also, when Asmodean is brought back to life after Rand balefires Rahvin, doesn't he say something to the effect that his link to the DO was gone?

After betraying the DO by helping Rand (forced or not), I can't see him risking going back to the DO and trying to get his position back. I think he would have fully thrown his lot in with Rand and helped him against the other Forsaken.

Alas, it was not to be, as when he went into the storeroom and found Graendal, he only had time to say "You! No!" before she crushed his head with her ample bosom.

This answers the method and location issue for Asmodean's death and why the DO couldn't bring him back. The location was near a battle that had just occured, which would have provided lots of dead DF to transmigrate should he so choose (assuming many of Rahvin's recruits were DF). Because she killed him without channeling, his death wasn't even a blip on the DO's radar, since the direct link to the DO was no longer there.

Rand al'Fain
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Probably not. He really had no where else to go. Better to hook up with the Dragon Reborn and help him out, try to repent for past sins, teach him what you can, and hope for a Dragon Reborn victory rather than crawl on your hands and knees to the other Forsaken and hope against all odds that they don't just roast you (literally, in this case) on the spot.

To Rand, he was a valueable (if not exactly trusted) teacher, spy, and ally. To those loyal to the DO, he was a liability best dealt with lethality.

Kimon
01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Pretend for a moment that Asmodean WASN'T killed in book 5. Also suspend disbelief and pretend nothing else in the book changed drastically.

If so, then would Asmodean have betrayed Rand further on in the series? Would he have gone back to the Darkside of the Force? Even after his shield was supposed to have dissolved?

PS: I tried making a poll but I couldn't find it....

Doubtful, but if you are really interested in hypotheticals, how about this one - had Asmodean not accidentally interrupted Graendal's scavenging, would he, rather than Taim, have become the M'Hael of the Black Tower? Rand already was setting in motion his plans for gathering men who could channel, but he clearly didn't have time, nor likely even the ability to train them himself. Logain at the time was still severed, and Taim just conveniently fell/was placed into his lap. Might not Rand's initial plan have been to use Asmodean as his asha'man trainer?

eht slat meit
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I suspect that the moment the screws had been put to old Asmodean, pressuring him to switch sides once more and betray Rand, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

Because it's his nature to do anything necessary to save his ass.

Davian93
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Doubtful, but if you are really interested in hypotheticals, how about this one - had Asmodean not accidentally interrupted Graendal's scavenging, would he, rather than Taim, have become the M'Hael of the Black Tower? Rand already was setting in motion his plans for gathering men who could channel, but he clearly didn't have time, nor likely even the ability to train them himself. Logain at the time was still severed, and Taim just conveniently fell/was placed into his lap. Might not Rand's initial plan have been to use Asmodean as his asha'man trainer?

Rand never would have let him out of his site like that. He barely liked to let him roam the palace alone. Zero chance he ends up as the M'Hael unless of course he has the entire Black Tower travel around with him at all times.

Kimon
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Rand never would have let him out of his site like that. He barely liked to let him roam the palace alone. Zero chance he ends up as the M'Hael unless of course he has the entire Black Tower travel around with him at all times.

He gave Taim quite a bit of leeway despite both his imaginary friend taking an instant murderous dislike to the guy, and Min having a string of very ominous viewings of the man, not to mention being noticeably scared of Taim after the Wells. He can't seem to see Taim without resisting the urge to kill him, yet there was never that with Asmodean. Asmodean moreover never seemed to bring out Lews Therin. There was the occasional slip of the tongue, like his comments about Sammael and Culan Cuhan during the Battle of Cairhien, but at times he seemed to trust Asmodean more than even Moiraine. Certainly Asmodean could have been no worse in the long run than Taim, but the bottom line is could Rand have done the training himself? If he couldn't, would there have been any choice but to delegate the matter to Asmodean, just as he delegated it to Taim?

maleshub
01-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Lanfear screwed Asmodean beyond repair; and not in the way he would have liked.

She tied him to Rand; then went to the rest of the Foresaken to announce that he was a traitor who went back to LTT.

I don't think any of the Foresaken needed further proof or excuse to kill him on site. They work against each other without that extra bit of motivation.