PDA

View Full Version : Ragu/Ragout/Rilletes Thread

The Unreasoner
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Post your recipes, debate the merits of pre-colombian bolognese vs Prego, and have fun.
But remember:
https://p.twimg.com/AkR2TmeCIAAynxg.jpg
'They' are watching.

confused at birth
01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Ragu is disgusting

Davian93
01-28-2012, 06:55 PM
This is only one true Italian chef...and his name is Boyardee.

The Unreasoner
01-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Well those guys are french. Except Keller.

No arguments on Boyardee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_Martino_of_Como) though.

Davian93
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Well those guys are french. Except Keller.

No arguments on Boyardee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_Martino_of_Como) though.

Yeah I know...I met Thomas Keller when I ate at French Laundry. Best chef in the world hands down.

The Unreasoner
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah I know...I met Thomas Keller when I ate at French Laundry. Best chef in the world hands down.

Well, we are agreed on that. He's like a Marco Pierre White on ritalin, from what I've heard.

Davian93
01-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Well, we are agreed on that. He's like a Marco Pierre White on ritalin, from what I've heard.

He is simply awesome...everything was good...strike that, everything was perfection.

I like his cookbooks too...but are great and he's a good writer (assuming they weren't ghost written).

He also has this casual place in Napa called Ad Hoc which is fantastic too.

Tomp
01-28-2012, 07:06 PM
The English cuisine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPoWGiQIhA)hasn't changed much. :D

The Unreasoner
01-28-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Ruhlman does the bulk of the writing. But it could be a Platina/Maestro sort of thing: Ruhlman put the words on paper, but Keller said them first. The little vignettes throughout are probably Keller though.

I don't know, I've read almost all of ruhlman's books, and some stuff I know is Keller, and from what I can tell, it feels more like ruhlman.

Davian93
01-28-2012, 07:12 PM
The vignettes is what I was thinking of. Whether they were dictated or written by him, he tells a good story.

Zaela Sedai
01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
The only good sauce is my sauce ;)

Khoram
01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
The only good sauce is my nonna's sauce ;)

Fixed. :D

Mort
01-29-2012, 11:12 AM

But can he do a good grilled cheese?

Tomp
01-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Oh, my mind took a turn for the gutter there. :D

Sorry

The Unreasoner
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
But can he do a good grilled cheese?

Sure (http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/grilled-cheese-recipe)
http://cdn2.menshealth.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/4-column-666px-wide/2011-03-24%2014:06/grilled-cheese-recipe.jpg

And:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LVFKS9d2bTM/SlxH3jUcHgI/AAAAAAAAD_k/QM80mutiieo/s400/Timmy+blur.jpg

But no one melts cheese like Giada:
http://foodnetworkhumor.com/img/censor-wrong-fn-3.jpg

The Unreasoner
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

The only good sauce is my nonna's sauce ;)
Fixed. :D

...Care to share?

Anyway, I'll go:
Onions carmelized to the point of candy with anise and nutmeg, pork sausage blended with chicken liver and cooked in butter, a big red bordeaux and a strong beef stock all cooked with garlic and pepper until the liquid is gone.

(this is where you can freeze it. But if not:)

a small amount of vinegar, some sugar, and a couple egg yolks are added than mixed into the meat, immediately after pour a small amount of milk into it and some grated cheese (i like gruyere here, but parm works too. stir it in then proceed) Throw in some chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about half an hour with the lid on, then stir and serve.

Sei'taer
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
...Care to share?

Anyway, I'll go:
Onions carmelized to the point of candy with anise and nutmeg, pork sausage blended with chicken liver and cooked in butter, a big red bordeaux and a strong beef stock all cooked with garlic and pepper until the liquid is gone.

(this is where you can freeze it. But if not:)

a small amount of vinegar, some sugar, and a couple egg yolks are added than mixed into the meat, immediately after pour a small amount of milk into it and some grated cheese (i like gruyere here, but parm works too. stir it in then proceed) Throw in some chopped tomatoes and let it cook for about half an hour with the lid on, then stir and serve.

Open a jar of prego and dump it in a pot. Cook noodles for a good half hour to 45 minutes until they are mush.

Thats how my ex did it anyway. That almost made me vomick just typing it.

Davian93
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Open a jar of prego and dump it in a pot. Cook noodles for a good half hour to 45 minutes until they are mush.

Thats how my ex did it anyway. That almost made me vomick just typing it.

Prego? Look at moneybags here with his fancy name brand sauce.

I prefer Hunt's tomato sauce in a can with noodles nuked in the microwave.

Sei'taer
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Prego? Look at moneybags here with his fancy name brand sauce.

I prefer Hunt's tomato sauce in a can with noodles nuked in the microwave.

If you're into that kind of thing, hamburger helper lasagna makes tasty meat tastier.

SonofElvis
02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Butternut Squash and White Bean Ragout.

1 butternut squash
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces sliced pancetta, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves of garlic
3 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained (I know, fine, soak your own then. But if you do, put a tablespoon of white vinegar in the soaking liquid. Make the beans' skin more firm. Then cook in water with pancetta or bacon until done. I'm lazy though. I use cans.)
1 can chicken broth
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Seed, peel and cut squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and roast for 15 minutes. Stir,roast soft.

While squash roasts, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add pancetta and onion, and sauté until the onion is very soft, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir in white beans and turn off heat until squash are done.

Add squash to white beans, along with the chicken broth and herbes de Provence. Simmer, uncovered, until beans are heated through, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper, if needed.

The Unreasoner
02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
@SoE That looks amazing. What about swapping sugar pumpkin for the butternut squash? Served over fresh papardelle?

Also: I'm expanding the scope of this thread to sauces in general.

So now, I can ask you about peanut sauces...
I made one with
Peanut butter
Peanut oil
Hot Dijon mustard
Ground ginger
Sugar
Vinegar
Soy sauce

But it's not working. Something to serve over grilled chicken kebabs. My boss is calling it 'thai peanut sauce' so, you know, if there's a key component to thai cuisine, maybe that's it.
I've thought about cutting the vinegar and increasing the soy sauce, as well as mixing chopped crispy garlic and crushed peanuts at the end, and substituting chili oil for some of the peanut oil.

Any thoughts?

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
every thai peanut sauce I have had/made has tahini in it...but don't overdo

SonofElvis
02-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Pumpkin works really well for it. And pumpkin can also be mixed with peanut butter and curry with sauteed onions and ginger to make a really unique puree.

As for peanut sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil are key.

1/2 Cup peanut butter
1 T soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 jalapeno pepper seeded chopped
1/2 tsp. chili oil (1/2 tsp. vegetable oil plus 1/4 tsp. cayenne)
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
rice vinegar to thin

Mix everything but rice vinegar, then drizzle in and whisk until it is saucy (usually about 1/8 cup)

The Unreasoner
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I got it to work.

@SoE
Agreed on sesame oil...but I can't justify the expense.

@SBC
Tried tahini...wasn't feeling it. Maybe you're right, and I just overdid it, but idk.

But basically the original w/chopped peanuts toasted, and chopped garlic that is fried in peanut oil.

Toss the chicken in this, and I made a spicy-sweet chili relish to serve on the side.