PDA

View Full Version : mmmmm Coffee

Sei'taer
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Ok, I need some help. I've been thru every coffee that world market carries, plus some of the local coffee house brands, I hate Starbucks and refuse to try their stuff...We have a local coffee house here that has hooked me up with some pretty good coffee.

I like my coffee like I like my beer.

My favorite is sumatran coffee, medium and dark. Mornings it must be bold and strong and bitter to kick me awake. At night I like it a little lighter and more of a sippin' type coffee with maybe a dab of cream. I was told to try a hawaiian blend, but I didn't like it very much, it was too mellow. Anybody got any good coffee I can try?

Zaela Sedai
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
DUNKIN DONUTS ALL THE WAY

But only from DD not the bagged.

:p

Davian93
08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
~shudders~

YOu know they never clean their filters right?

Zaela Sedai
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Part of the reason you have to get it from DD and not their bagged version ;P

Sei'taer
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
tbh, I didn't like DD coffee very much...course we don't have any here so I have to get the bagged kind.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
08-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Dunkin Donuts is the ONLY coffee worth drinking.

Davian93
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Green Mountain Coffee is really good...I'm not sure where you can get it outside of Vermont.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Doesn't McDonald's serve that?

JSUCamel
08-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Dunkin' Donuts is a terrorist organization!

psychomusician
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Dunkin' Donuts is a terrorist organization!
huh? i'm afraid i dont follow

Matoyak
08-14-2008, 01:48 AM
huh? i'm afraid i dont follow It's ok, Bush just h4xx0r3d Camel's computer, no big deal. :p :eek: :p

The only coffee I can drink, ever, is Starbucks Frappachinos. (sp) So really...it's more ice cream than coffee, or more milkshake. Coffee is just too...tooo...hell, I dunno what it is. I just dun like it.

Terez
08-14-2008, 02:18 AM
huh? i'm afraid i dont followhalp 4 de lawst (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=185)

I can't believe you guys drink that $4 coffee stuff. I drink coffee at the house. It's always Colombian. Strong, but smooth and tasty. 8 o'clock bean is the best, but Maxwell House will do.

1Powerslave
08-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Powerslave's Coffee Rules: :)

1. Make sure the coffee is made from 100% arabica beans. Coffea arabica beans are more expensive, but better than Robusta beans.

2. Remember coffee is a perishable foodstuff. It tastes best fresh and loses it's freshness fast, so store it in your fridge. This is easily determined with how it loses its odour after a week or so in the cupboard, whereas did you store it in the fridge, its still there. Use an airtight container.

3. Ground your own beans? Relating to point no. 2, freshly grounded beans tastes even better. I don't do it personally, but I do like to once in a while go to a special tea/coffee shop and have a freshly grounded bag of coffee that they recommend. As you seem to have a pretty good idea of what you like your coffee to be, tell them and they'll recommend something.

4. From such a tea/coffee store, I got recommended to take one extra spoon of coffee to the original dosage. Since I usually take my coffee with a little milk. That have only backfired once, so normally I add that extra coffee. Use trial and error there.

As for brands, I can't recommend any since I doubt I drink any forreign ones. There just isn't any I've found in the supermarkets.
I haven't found my perfect coffee yet. I vary between two brands and mostly in the dark roast spectrum. French roast is dark and good. Sometimes medium roast.
As for the origin of the beans, I haven't gotten that far yet in my experimentations. I've only been drinking for 5 or 6 years. But I think I have developed an addiction. I go without coffee, I got lots more headaches. :confused: :D

Purple Dragon
08-14-2008, 05:57 AM
1. Do
2. Not
3. Do
4. It

JSUCamel
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
but Petey! Rules 1 and 3 are the same!

Mort
08-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Powerslave's Coffee Rules: :)

Oh no! You are one of those! Or soon to be :D

The hard questions is, how do you make it? Brew? Perculate? Espresso? One of those glas containers where you push down the rod and the coffee has to sit for like 2 minutes? (There MUST be an easier way to say all of that!)

I had a work collegue who is a real coffee enthusiast, he bought an espresso maker for about 1200-1300 bucks. One of those computer scientiests with funny/weird interests :D

tanaww
08-14-2008, 07:37 AM
? One of those glas containers where you push down the rod and the coffee has to sit for like 2 minutes? (There MUST be an easier way to say all of that!)

A French Press.

I prefer Columbian or the Gevalia that Herr Danish Dragon has been known to send me sometimes. Gevalia Gold, I believe it's called. However, my memory is fading...

Ishara
08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Coffee makes me really sick. My tummy oesn't like it, so sorry I'm no help there. But tea! Oh, tea. I never fail to start my day with a big cup of chai tea (black tea with cardamom and cinnamon, mostly). The aroma is just divine....

I do love me a good espresso though. We have one of those stovetop pressure thingies that's perfect for two very bitty cups. Yum.

Brita
08-14-2008, 07:58 AM
OK- at the risk of sounding ridiculously Canadian- my favourite coffee is Tim Horton's coffee, which is a national addiction here.

But that might have something to do with lacing all their coffee products with nicotine...

It is a mild, smooth coffee so it might be too mild for you Sei- and making it at home isn't the same as getting it from the coffee shop of course.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, I absolutely adore Gevalia's coffee. However, it costs an arm and a leg, even if I'm the only one drinking it and having to pay a mortgage, I cancelled my subscription.

Now, I buy Starbucks, the bagged stuff. I used to get it ground at the store, but now I just grab it at the grocery store already ground, again, due to budgetary constraints. (Yes, I know, Starbucks is Teh Evul.)

I'd go back to Gevalia in hearbeat though when we have the money.

Mort
08-14-2008, 08:10 AM
A French Press.

I prefer Columbian or the Gevalia that Herr Danish Dragon has been known to send me sometimes. Gevalia Gold, I believe it's called. However, my memory is fading...
I'm pretty sure French Press isn't what we call it. But I'll take it! :)

Gevalia, yeah, I drink that too. Probably one of the most common coffee brands in Sweden. Dunno about the Gold variant though, what's special about it?

Mort
08-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, I absolutely adore Gevalia's coffee. However, it costs an arm and a leg, even if I'm the only one drinking it and having to pay a mortgage, I cancelled my subscription.

I'd go back to Gevalia in hearbeat though when we have the money.
It's an expensive item in the US? Here it's probably one of the cheapest coffees there is I think, at least one of the most common.

Since I actually should be studying, I instead wikipediated (hehe) Gevalia coffee. The brand started out in Sweden and then sold to Kraft Foods, still being made in Sweden it seems. Maybe that's why it's cheaper here.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Yep, it's an import here. BUT it's the cheapest way to get Kona Coffee, oddly enough. (Other than having Tru ship it to you, that is.)

Terez
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Yes, Tru is a dear like that. :)

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty sure French Press isn't what we call it. But I'll take it! :)

Oddly enough, I use a press like that and it's called...get this...ready...a Swedish press. I'm gonna have to try Gevalia, I suppose...if I can find it.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Mail order (http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/) only in the States, Sei.

Crispin's Crispian
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Is Gevalia a Kona bean? Kona is supposed to be wonderful, but I find it pretty nasty. It's like drinking the water you used to clean out the coffee pot. I much prefer the rich, dark stuff. (Yes, ST, just like my beer.)

I have to admit to some unmanly coffee practices--I use half and half and sweetener (whatever I have, sugar, Splenda, Equal). I can drink it black and it doesn't bother me that much, but I just prefer it a little sweeter. Really strong dark coffee with cream and sugar is awesome.

I also have become a snob, in that I now grind the coffee every morning and use filtered (yes, the Brita) water. That said, I do buy whatever is on sale at the supermarket...

Terez
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Is Gevalia a Kona bean? Kona is supposed to be wonderful, but I find it pretty nasty. It's like drinking the water you used to clean out the coffee pot. I much prefer the rich, dark stuff. (Yes, ST, just like my beer.) Kona doesn't just make one kind of coffee - Tru sent me some dark stuff that was fabulous. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Kona Dark is AWESOME. It's not really a brand though.

From Wiki:

Kona coffee is the market name for a variety of coffee (Coffea arabica) cultivated on the slopes of Mount Hualalai and Mauna Loa in the North and South Kona Districts of the Big Island of Hawaii. This coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world. Only coffee from the Kona Districts can be legally described as "Kona". The Kona weather pattern of bright sunny mornings, humid rainy afternoons and mild nights create favorable coffee growing conditions.

Kinda like only sparkling wine grown/developed in the Chapaigne region of France can be called Champaigne. I'd bet what you had, Muttley was a Kona Blend. Those suck and are downright blasphemous.

Terez
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes, Tru sent a variety pack. The dark was gone quickly, but the others hung around for a while. :)

Crispin's Crispian
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Kona Dark is AWESOME. It's not really a brand though.

I'd bet what you had, Muttley was a Kona Blend. Those suck and are downright blasphemous.

I know it's not brand. I've actually had Kona coffee in Kona, HI, and it was the same flavor. It's possible that they just made it weak to conserve it.

All the Kona I've had does have a distinct flavor though, different from any other coffee I've ever had. It just so happens that the particular flavor is gross. LOL

Maybe I'll look for Kona Dark and see what I find.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 11:14 AM
It's the volcanic soil.

Davian93
08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Kona coffee is SO GOOD!!!

Cary Sedai
08-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Gaevalia for me, and it's all PD's fault. Silly Dragon, does not drink coffee, yet addicts his friends and family.

Oh, and, dear dragon, your rules say to do, then not, then do, then it. So you drink, stop, drink...but I'm confused about "it". What exactly are you saying? :eek:

Mort
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
but I'm confused about "it". What exactly are you saying? :eek:

Oh you know what he's saying, don't try to act naive ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 11:49 AM
That he has no clue. ;)

Cary Sedai
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh you know what he's saying, don't try to act naive ;)

~whistles innocently~

Ivhon
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Hmm.

1. No need to restate your unmanliness with your coffee additives, Muttley, we all know you are a tree-hugging hippy-freak girly-man when it comes to coffee. Always have been. Although, that bit about dark rich roasts makes me think there may be hope for you yet.

2. For me, there is economic coffee (because I drink up to two pots a day...can't afford the good stuff in those quantities): Folger's Gourmet Supreme roast. Its the darkest stuff they make. I dump but do rarely clean my filters, no cream, no sugar. Thats what gets me through the day.

3. There is also weekend coffee. I try to keep some Jamaica Blue around for super-special occasions, but at tens of dollars a pound it is only for company. Standard weekend coffee I get from Dominica Joe's, which is a shop here that uses its proceeds to help with working conditions and education for coffee farmers in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. I let whim decide which coffee to buy.

Edit. Weekend coffee is ground in a burr grinder (blades heat the beans up, causing them to release flavors, oils and aromas too early) and brewed in a French Press.

Terez
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh god Folger's is so nasty...Maxwell House is cheaper than Folger's! And it's actually good!

Brita
08-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Edit. Weekend coffee is ground in a burr grinder (blades heat the beans up, causing them to release flavors, oils and aromas too early) and brewed in a French Press.

well La Tee Da!

(when can I come over for a weekend coffee?)

Crispin's Crispian
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh god Folger's is so nasty...Maxwell House is cheaper than Folger's! And it's actually good!
I've always thought Chock Full o'Nuts was the best...um...canned coffee. It never has the gross canned taste.

For some reason Ivhon is under the impression that I drink espresso froo-froo stuff all the time. Some people up here are like that, but really--I don't know how they afford it. Why would I pay $3.50 for a teaspoon of espresso and 15.5 oz of milk when I can pay $6 a pound for home brew? Even if I could afford it, I don't want to haul my tired ass to the coffee shop first thing in the morning, and I'm sure as hell not waiting until I am on my way to work to have coffee.

Terez
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, making coffee is usually the first thing I do when I get out of bed. I used to be able to wait until I got to work to have coffee, but not any more.

Ishara
08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I usually wait until I get into the office for my tea (about 2 hours after I wake up), but after that, it's tea all day. Strangely, I don't need it on the weekends, but that could be because I sleep in at least 4-6 hours later...;)

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
For some reason Ivhon is under the impression that I drink espresso froo-froo stuff all the time. Some people up here are like that,

Don't worry Ivhon...I met him and he's on the up and up. He did hide the wheat grass smoothie thing he was drinking as we approached though. Maybe he was just preparing for the Texas barnyard massacre pizza we ate for lunch...but hey, he ate meat...at least I don't think that was a faux cheese ladies special. Hm, now that I think about it, maybe he didn't eat the same thing I did...:p

tanaww
08-14-2008, 04:05 PM
The Gevalia PD sends me isn't the same kind as the stuff you buy here. Here, for you Europeans, Gevalia is sold through this subscription type thing that is both expensive and annoying.

The Gevalia PD sends me is Gold Dark? I think. I wish he'd send me some more so I could remember ;)

Cary Sedai
08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
The Gevalia PD sends me is Gold Dark? I think. I wish he'd send me some more so I could remember ;)

I think you're right, Tana. However, I think he should send us both some more, just to be on the safe side! ;)

tworiverswoman
08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
~makes mental note to add a bag of Kona Coffee to box for m'sis -- BOTH m'sis's~

My opinions about coffee aren't trustworthy, because basically I'm like Mato -- I like my coffee to taste like coffee ice cream. One of those flavored creamers is a cinnamon vanilla flavor which I just LOVE -- plus I add ground cinnamon to my cup. The office uses Folger's -- which isn't awful, Terez.

At home we buy Arabica ground coffee from Costco -- though I've been known to buy the beans that they have, too. There's a pack that I understand is actually Starbucks coffee beans but labelled with the Costco brand name -- those were pretty good.

PD's shipments of coffee are too few and far between to remember the taste...

Until we recently replaced our coffee maker I refused to drink coffee made at my house because my husband is a lunatic. He's been known to add WEIRD stuff to the grounds before brewing. I'm not talking about Vanilla or salt -- but GARLIC PEPPER? Ewwwwww! Plus he NEVER washed out the decanter -- or any other part of it. So I avoided it like the plague. The new one hasn't had time to get polluted yet. And I try to keep it clean in spite of him.

Crispy... Kona-grown coffee is supposed to rank up there in the top 10 coffees in the world. So I'm not sure but what the problem isn't in your TASTE BUDS. Hmph!

Incidentally -- who else remembers the old tag line from the Folger's commercials; Mrs. Olsen saying "mountain grown, the richest kind..." Is coffee grown anywhere else?

Ivhon
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I've always thought Chock Full o'Nuts was the best...um...canned coffee. It never has the gross canned taste.

For some reason Ivhon is under the impression that I drink espresso froo-froo stuff all the time. Some people up here are like that, but really--I don't know how they afford it. Why would I pay $3.50 for a teaspoon of espresso and 15.5 oz of milk when I can pay $6 a pound for home brew? Even if I could afford it, I don't want to haul my tired ass to the coffee shop first thing in the morning, and I'm sure as hell not waiting until I am on my way to work to have coffee.

Bah. Stupid post-eating.... grr.

Anyway. Saved you a rant on how Im sure the Archives have you on record as being all about whatever the Y2K equivalent of a double-froth choco-rasberry latte with just the right amount of Fijian coconut shavings was. However, since Im too lazy to dig through the Archives Ill let it slide. You still dilute your heavenly nectar with cream, though, which is both an affront to the gods and the environment - since that cow you have to milk for the cream farts enough methane to fuel a rocket engine.

Now, in all seriousness, I don't think I have questioned your manhood (outside of the Book - for which all bets are off) regarding anything other than coffee. What beer you drink, pizza, meat, etc is none of my beeswax.

Terez
08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Folger's IS nasty...

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
You still dilute your heavenly nectar with cream, though, which is both an affront to the gods and the environment - since that cow you have to milk for the cream farts enough methane to fuel a rocket engine.

Kangaroo milk, Doggity Dog? I don't know for sure, but I've heard it's mighty tasty...and gets you hoppin' in the morning.

Uno
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I don't care much. I don't drink Starbuck, as it tastes like tea brewed with a used tampon instead of a tea bag, but otherwise my only requirement is that it's black and strong. I'm not exactly a connoisseur.

RogueSavior
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Do they have Pepsi-flavored coffee? Because Soda is super-expensive to be addicted to. I think Meth would actually be cheaper.

tworiverswoman
08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't care much. I don't drink Starbuck, as it tastes like tea brewed with a used tampon instead of a tea bag, but otherwise my only requirement is that it's black and strong. I'm not exactly a connoisseur.Uno, I could have lived a LONG TIME without that image floating around in my head...

And I LOVE Caramel Macchiatos. Can't AFFORD them, either monetarily OR calorie-wise, but I still love them...

Crispin's Crispian
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Kangaroo milk, Doggity Dog? I don't know for sure, but I've heard it's mighty tasty...and gets you hoppin' in the morning.

I haven't tried it, but I heard it's high maintenance. You have to keep it down under all the other stuff in the fridge.

Cary Sedai
08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

~groan~

I haven't tried it, but I heard it's high maintenance. You have to keep it down under all the other stuff in the fridge.

~buries face in hands and groans again~

Terez
08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
It took me a minute cause my brain immediately jumped to health department rules...

Sei'taer
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM

It gets jumpy, huh?

Crispin's Crispian
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
It gets jumpy, huh?

You have to keep boxing it up.

Crispin's Crispian
08-15-2008, 05:28 PM
It took me a minute cause my brain immediately jumped to health department rules...
Which makes sense, since we're talking about Australia and all...

Terez
08-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey, I didn't say it made sense. I'm just brainwashed by the restaurant business...

Zaela Sedai
08-15-2008, 05:33 PM
gouge my eyes out with a spoon

LOL

Sei'taer
08-15-2008, 08:41 PM
You have to keep boxing it up.

Or keep it in a pouch.

Frenzy
08-16-2008, 12:08 AM
You were drinking plenty of the Dark Father's Kona coffee when you were here, Uno. Out of my Maleficent mug too.

Mr. Frenzy found a place in Hawaii called Paradise Found and buys coffee from there. It isn't cheap, but surprisingly the shipping isn't bad. They just stuff the bags o' beans in a flat rate box from the USPS and let'er rip.

i'm with Petey, i can not stand coffee. ~gags~ i, like Ishara, am a tea drinker. i like chai, but i prefer chinese & japanese varieties over indian. i start every day with a big cup of somethign called Chinese Restaurant tea, which is oolong + green + jasmine tea. Someone brought in some japanese tea that i have no clue what it is cuz i don't read kanji, but it's very good. i need to find out where she got it so i can get more.

Terez
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Ugh, I'd rather drink Folgers than any variety of tea...

Uno
08-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I know you don't drink coffee, sis, and it often makes me sad to think of it. It's not that I don't like fancy coffees, or can't tell the difference between the good and the more mundane stuff. I'm just not very picky with these things. Also, I'm chemically addicted to caffeine, so I take what I can get.

tanaww
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
~makes mental note to add a bag of Kona Coffee to box for m'sis -- BOTH m'sis's~

Oooh! I hope you mean me!! (and, uh, mele macs? I've been good!)

PD's shipments of coffee are too few and far between to remember the taste...

I wholeheartedly agree. Can't you control your dragon miss? I've been out of coffee for a year and Superior for a month!

Incidentally -- who else remembers the old tag line from the Folger's commercials; Mrs. Olsen saying "mountain grown, the richest kind..." Is coffee grown anywhere else?

I only remember Juan Valdez

tanaww
08-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Also, I'm chemically addicted to caffeine, so I take what I can get.

Uno, I don't know of any Norwegian that doesn't drink coffee and I know plenty. I think it's a genetic addiction rather than a chemical one.

John Snow
08-16-2008, 09:40 AM
so many ways. Prevents Parkinson's Disease (Grantelli et al, 2001) type 2 diabetes (in women who drink more then 5 cups a day) (Willet et al, 2003), reduces your risk of car crashes (ummm, don't remember citations), and so on. Many coffee-hating epidemiologists (there are a few(but none of the good ones)) have tried over the years to prove something bad about coffee, but have failed miserably. Including the most recent botch job from my otherwise friend, DiKun Li, up there in Oakland.

Anyway, I absolutely do not understand Starbucks hate - yeah, they're a big company, yadayada, but I didn't see any coffee shops in Omaha until Starbucks opened one shop on the west side. Then, we saw locals opening their own shops, and small chains - was it Caribou? - don't think so - anyway, small chains getting going. And if you don't like the sweet coffee drinks, don't drink them. And their regular cuppa joes run about the same as everybody else....so, what's with the hate?

Anyway, what I drink is Bay Blend from Trader Joe's. Take a look at that stuff, Sei'taer. They have some other roasts that aren't quite so dark, but the price is good and so is the flavor. I just grind it and throw it into your basic Melitta pot to brew - totally manual drip.

Also, Frenzy, that was good coffee at your place - didn't realize it was Kona, otherwise I'd've sniffed and slurped with more appreciation.

Frenzy
08-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Also, Frenzy, that was good coffee at your place - didn't realize it was Kona, otherwise I'd've sniffed and slurped with more appreciation.
Yah, 100% Kona. i've been told that means something. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Terez, there are some teas that have more caffeine than coffee. Coffee & beer are two beverages i just can't force myself to choke down. i get by just fine without them, and more for everyone else. Aren't i nice? :lol

Terez
08-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I know tea is usually loaded with caffeine. I just hate the way it tastes, Indian, green, hot, iced, whatever. More for you - and aren't I sweet? :D

Davian93
08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
I like Starbucks...I just hate the prices...but I do really like it. Coffee, Tea, whatever its all good to me.

Sei'taer
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I like Starbucks...I just hate the prices...but I do really like it. Coffee, Tea, whatever its all good to me.

I don't like starbucks because I don't like their coffee. To the other...yup

Davian93
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't like starbucks because I don't like their coffee. To the other...yup

Their regular coffee is okay (I DO like getting the bag of unground Starbucks beans at Costco and using that at home) but I'm a big fan of their White Choculate Mocha and the Gingerbread Latte they have in the fall.

Uno
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I think Starbucks coffee tastes a bit like instant coffee, which I don't care for. I'll drink it, but I don't really like it much. Also, I find the entire coffee bar culture a bit pretentious and vaguely annoying, but, of course, I get annoyed by a lot of things, so that's hardly surprising.

jason wolfbrother
08-16-2008, 05:54 PM
if I need a caffeine fix I can always rely on my Mt. Dew :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Davian93
08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
I think Starbucks coffee tastes a bit like instant coffee, which I don't care for. I'll drink it, but I don't really like it much. Also, I find the entire coffee bar culture a bit pretentious and vaguely annoying, but, of course, I get annoyed by a lot of things, so that's hardly surprising.

What's it like getting annoyed by a lot of things? I don't know that I could be like that...:rolleyes:

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
1PS rules are onnnnnnn target!!!

I have one of the fancy schmancy coffee makers that grinds the beans for you...the ONE wedding present I actually did not feel guilty about!!

Gevalia rocks, but as was mentioned, costly and not easy to come by on a regular basis...can't just walk into a store and get it.

I use Dunkin Donutes fresh beans (agreed, MUST come from the DD, NOT the already ground bagged crap at the grocer) or Starbucks beans (same store issue).

I like mine strong with real cream. What the heck, ya only live once.

If anyone finds a US coffee the equivalent of Gevalia, POST IT!!!

EDIT: oh, and yeah, I have a french press too...it makes fabulous coffee but is a bit too time consuming and hard to clean on a daily basis. I save it for leisurely Saturday mornings. Ish...I have found it makes amazing tea as well if you are in to the loose leaves.

Cary Sedai
08-17-2008, 02:18 PM
I bought me some chock full o'nuts this morning. Made my self a nice strong pot (accidently, i'll use less next time).

I like it. It's yummy! Oh, and JW, I bought some mt. dew for later! :p

ETA: First time trying chock full o'nuts :)

Terez
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I hate nuts.

Ishara
08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
EDIT: oh, and yeah, I have a french press too...it makes fabulous coffee but is a bit too time consuming and hard to clean on a daily basis. I save it for leisurely Saturday mornings. Ish...I have found it makes amazing tea as well if you are in to the loose leaves.
You're totally right! We do loose leaf jasmine tea in it on weekends after big dinners. But yes, a pain to clean. Looks pretty though.

Davian93
08-18-2008, 08:04 AM
I love my flatpress...tastes better that way.

I also have an Turkish coffee maker that I bought in Bosnia...makes great espresso.

Sei'taer
08-18-2008, 08:26 AM

You're supposed to clean it? I thought it was supposed to keep everything flavored!

Seriously, I just pour out the coffee grinds, dump in some dish soap and fun the press up and down a few times and I'm good to go. It's easier, I think...or at least about the same.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-18-2008, 10:28 AM
now, let's be frank: without coffee there is no morning, and without morning there is no day.

If given the choice, I like my french press. Dai, being the gadget freak that he is, also aquired an electronic grinder and milk foamifier (he likes cappuccino - like coffee, with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. mmm... or would be, if I drank milk). As for quantity, I don't really drink that much, maybe 3-4 small cups a day, possibly another one after dinner. But as for taste: it should be a little bit stronger than the average but not quite as tarry as Turkish coffee (I also adhere to the one extra spoon rule), with -depending on the size of the cup - one or two spoonfuls of sugar.

tanaww
08-18-2008, 08:16 PM
now, let's be frank: without coffee there is no morning, and without morning there is no day.

If given the choice, I like my french press. Dai, being the gadget freak that he is, also aquired an electronic grinder and milk foamifier (he likes cappuccino - like coffee, with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. mmm... or would be, if I drank milk). As for quantity, I don't really drink that much, maybe 3-4 small cups a day, possibly another one after dinner. But as for taste: it should be a little bit stronger than the average but not quite as tarry as Turkish coffee (I also adhere to the one extra spoon rule), with -depending on the size of the cup - one or two spoonfuls of sugar.

Yks? If I make waffles can I come to your house for coffee?

Mort
08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Yks? If I make waffles can I come to your house for coffee?

I think it's coded into our spines to serve coffee if someone just brings waffles. :D Same thing with pie.

mmmmmm-mmmmm!

I think Twin Peaks made me addicted to pie. Actually, that's now one of my sigs!

Davian93
08-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Mmm....pie.

Zaela Sedai
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
mmmm....Key Lime Pie.....yummmmmmmm

tanaww
08-19-2008, 08:36 AM
mmmm....Key Lime Pie.....yummmmmmmm

No dear. The only kind of Pie is PECAN.

Davian93
08-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Mmm...apple pie;)

Key lime ~Shudders~

Cary Sedai
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie is the only way to go!

Sei'taer
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie is the only way to go!

Ew, strawberry...the one and only food I willl absolutely NOT eat. Bring on any other kind of food and I'm game.

Cary Sedai
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I love strawberries!

There must be something wrong with you Sei! ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
The list is long. Not enough space here, Cary.

Chocolate mousse pie. Though technically, a cheesecake is still a pie and I infinitely prefer those.

Sei'taer
08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
The list is long. Not enough space here, Cary.

You couldn't even begin to the list. There's way more than you can ever imagine. Might be better and easier to list the things that are right.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM
There aren't enough to make a "list."

Sei'taer
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
There aren't enough to make a "list."

Thus...easier

pops taer
08-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Coffee, hot, black and no foo foo stuff. Don't like Starbucks cuz it's bitter. I'm no conneusieuriileaaaaile hmm got lost on spelling there, sorry, and I don't intend to become one. My coffee extent is about 2 or 3 cups a week. Those folks would go broke on me.

Pie - fav is Peach Cobbler, then step down to any kind of pie/cobbler except one that has shredded coconut in or on it. Coconut flavor is great but the shredded stuff reminds me of finger nails and makes my gag reflex kick in.

Cary Sedai
08-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Coconut flavor is great but the shredded stuff reminds me of finger nails and makes my gag reflex kick in.

LOL - I've never heard that before. That's funny, Pops!

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
if anyone wants to become a benefactor I have an excellent business plan ready to go for a pie company. I just need cashola. my dream. if ya can't dream big, dream pie!!

anyway, no contest on the best...
sour
cream
apple
pie

with a flaky butter crust almost like shortbread

mmmmm piiiiiiie

Ishara
08-20-2008, 07:43 AM
So, in other words, you're Jenna Hunterson, the best pie maker ever? But with a way better husband?

Gilshalos Sedai
08-20-2008, 07:48 AM
I dunno if we can automatically assume she's better, Ishara. I think we need samples.

Mort
08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Strawberry pie
Blueberry pie
Rubarb pie

Those are the favorites. Served with coffee black as a moonless night (quote from Twin Peaks).

Ishara
08-20-2008, 08:36 AM
I didn't say she was better - just that her husband was!

Gilshalos Sedai
08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Shhh! You're ruining my attempt to get free pie!

Terez
08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Thread necromancy, because I've been spending a lot of time in the library (at least I didn't resurrect that thread) since I got back to the main campus of my school, and there's a Starbucks in it, and I have a certain amount of points that I can spend there over the semester whether or not I want them, and I don't really have anything else to use them for, and it's been FUCKING HOT and HUMID here, so....I've become addicted to Café Vanilla Frappuccini, with added espresso. It's all y'alls fault.

Ozymandias
08-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Thread necromancy, because I've been spending a lot of time in the library (at least I didn't resurrect that thread) since I got back to the main campus of my school, and there's a Starbucks in it, and I have a certain amount of points that I can spend there over the semester whether or not I want them, and I don't really have anything else to use them for, and it's been FUCKING HOT and HUMID here, so....I've become addicted to Café Vanilla Frappuccini, with added espresso. It's all y'alls fault.

Starbucks and all the chain coffee shops I've been to are excellent at making sweet, delicious coffee treats. The problem is, objectively and without all that sugar, they tend to serve pretty poor coffee. At least I think so. Dunkin Donuts has the best tasting coffee on the planet, because its like 9 parts sugar. Its just not good coffee

tanaww
08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Starbucks and all the chain coffee shops I've been to are excellent at making sweet, delicious coffee treats. The problem is, objectively and without all that sugar, they tend to serve pretty poor coffee. At least I think so. Dunkin Donuts has the best tasting coffee on the planet, because its like 9 parts sugar. Its just not good coffee

I don't know about straight up DD coffee, but I will agree (and I feel like a bumpkin for saying so) Starbucks always tastes burnt and gross to me. We just bought some whole bean stuff from Sam's (Fair trade, medium roast, yada yada yada) that's really good. I can't remember the name, but it's in a red foil bag.

Davian93
08-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Goood....goooooooddd. feeel the coffee flowing within you...Welcome to the Dark Side Terez! :)

Terez
08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
lol...I'm already a coffee addict, goofball. :p Have been for many years. I've just never had a thing for Starbucks before.

By the way, their whipped cream sucks. It tastes like plastic, and reminds me of that nasty whipped icing stuff...

Davian93
08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
By the way, their whipped cream sucks. It tastes like plastic, and reminds me of that nasty whipped icing stuff...

Yeah...I'll agree on that.

Its probalby like Walmart Brand whipped cream or something...

Terez
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I think it's a particular kind of whipped cream rather than a bad brand. Just like whipped icing is the same price as buttercreme - some people like it better. I don't.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Shhh! You're ruining my attempt to get free pie!

here is the deal, if I ever do get my pie empire up and running, I will have RJs birthday as a "free pie" day for those in the know. All you would have to do is come in and ask for free pie and be able to write down six character names.

Or, if I ever make it to a TL event, I could bring or make pie. That might be more feasible lololol

John Snow
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't know about straight up DD coffee, but I will agree (and I feel like a bumpkin for saying so) Starbucks always tastes burnt and gross to me.

The burnt flavor is a dark roast, favored more in places like Seattle, France, and Italy than in the US or Sweden. Starbucks historically had a competitor in Seattle, called (IIRC) Seattle's Best Coffee, who did a medium roast and ran ads asking rhetorically if the reader liked burnt toast - and if not, why drink burnt coffee? Actually, I do like burnt toast....

Davian93
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Which is ironic as Starbucks ended up buying out Seattles Best.

tanaww
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
The burnt flavor is a dark roast, favored more in places like Seattle, France, and Italy than in the US or Sweden.

Interesting. So is it possible then, Professor, that certain things ARE genetic? I have Scandinavian ancestry and prefer milder coffee like the Scandinavians. I also knit the Scandinavian way (left-handed as in the yarn is in my left hand rather than in my right which is English knitting). I don't, however, drink beer at 8:30 in the morning.

It's a conundrum. I will need to have some coffee to sort it out. And possibly some pecan pie.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I have Scandinavian ancestry and prefer milder coffee like the Scandinavians.

Doubtful, since I like the strong stuff and am about as Scandinavian as you are. ;)

John Snow
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
is largely inhabited by Scandinavians, as witness the westward-peering statue of Leif Ericson down by the waterfront, not to mention the VW bug-eating troll under one of the highway bridges. So, hmmm, apparently northern US scandinavians like the darker roast, Gevalia to the contrary.

tanaww
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Doubtful, since I like the strong stuff and am about as Scandinavian as you are. ;)

The point of this isn't really dark vs. light. We can all just get along. It is about coffee (with milk and sugar please) and pie. Pecan pie. Or, if we must (in the name of harmony of course), cheesecake.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Amen, Sistah!

Birgitte
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't, however, drink beer at 8:30 in the morning.

It's only a matter of time.

And I love warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. I don't like pecan pie; it's too sweet.

tanaww
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
And I love warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. I don't like pecan pie; it's too sweet.

Communist.

Terez
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Pecan pie is nasty. Mostly because it has pecans in it...

tanaww
08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Pecan pie is nasty. Mostly because it has pecans in it...

Terez, I will not tolerate that kind of nonsensical thinking! Pecan Pie is the best.

Davian93
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Communist.

LOL...A Tana/Hopper regime means a return to McCartyism...dissenters are blacklisted as pinko commie bastards!

tanaww
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
LOL...A Tana/Hopper regime means a return to McCartyism...dissenters are blacklisted as pinko commie bastards!

That is so not even true.
It's only that, well, I really love pecan pie and I never get it. Can I have a "pecan pie" intern?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
08-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Sorry, tana, but they're right. You know I don't hate on many foods, but pecan pie is just really, really gross.

Birgitte
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Your husband knows how to make pecan pie. And if I remember right, all you're missing is the pecans (unless you threw that nasty syrup stuff away).

Terez
08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Terez, I will not tolerate that kind of nonsensical thinking! Pecan Pie is the best.
Nuts are gross.

tanaww
08-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Your husband knows how to make pecan pie. And if I remember right, all you're missing is the pecans (unless you threw that nasty syrup stuff away).

But I really want an intern :)

Purple Dragon
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM
And who wants to?

Awesome Dragon starts new job on monday... boxes of RAOC and other assorted goodies will be sent out once again:)

Cary Sedai
08-26-2008, 03:29 PM
HOORAY!!!

I need more coffee, and chocolate. Not superior dark, though. Save that for Tana, I want milk chocolate.

Oh and B, shouldn't be too hard for your mother to find pecans now, she probably can go outside and pick them, she IS in Texas now, after all.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Cary, she's in the desert. B's more likely to find a pecan tree.

Cary Sedai
08-26-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah, I suppose that's true. Oh well, I tried. :D

Mort
08-26-2008, 05:53 PM
is largely inhabited by Scandinavians, as witness the westward-peering statue of Leif Ericson down by the waterfront, not to mention the VW bug-eating troll under one of the highway bridges. So, hmmm, apparently northern US scandinavians like the darker roast, Gevalia to the contrary.
Leif Ericson! Wooohooo! That's ancestry for ya :D
I personally can go both dark roast and the other stuff. If I have to choose I have to take the dark roast before the lighther stuff :D

I want my coffee black as a moonless night :D

Terez
08-26-2008, 05:57 PM
I like stuff in my coffee.

Cary Sedai
08-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I like stuff in my coffee.

You know this made my mind do the backstroke in the gutter, right? :D

I like stuff in my coffee, too. Flavored creamer is nice, not the powder stuff. I also need lots of sugar.

Davian93
08-27-2008, 10:52 AM
You know this made my mind do the backstroke in the gutter, right? :D

I like stuff in my coffee, too. Flavored creamer is nice, not the powder stuff. I also need lots of sugar.

Giggity.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
a coworker at my new job got the boss to spring for a new coffee maker that grinds fresh beans for every pot. and someone brought in Peet's coffee...yum yum. Of course the nearest Peet's is in Chicago (6 hours from me) so we are back to square one with the online ordering like Gevalia.

Oh well.

and Real Cream is required in coffee, no powders. blech.

and Pecan Pie is delicious. mmmmm mmmmm Piiiiiiiee

did I mention with my Pie Store idea...my birthday is 3-14. So, yeah, me + pie = meant to be. Even science proves it.

Terez
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I used to insist on real cream in coffee, but I've gotten attached to the powdered stuff cause it doesn't make my coffee cold.

Sei'taer
08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
mmmmm pumpkin pie with tons of whipped cream. mmmm warm pecan pie with ice cream and a nice glass of iced tea. mmmm warm apple pie with a slice of cheddar on top. mmmm chocolate pudding pie with meringue and huge glasses of freezing cold milk. mmmm death by chocolate pie nice and warm with an ice cold porter.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Sei, you've just made me really really hungry. Except for the whole cheese on apple pie thing. *gag*

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-28-2008, 04:20 PM
mmmm death by chocolate pie nice and warm with an ice cold porter.:eek: :eek:

EWWWWW

as lucy says when Snoopy kisses her....BLECH!!!!

Sei'taer
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
:eek: :eek:

EWWWWW

as lucy says when Snoopy kisses her....BLECH!!!!

LMAO...I thought the same thing til I tried it. It sounds horrid, but the porter and the chocolate go together sooo good. Not that I could even begin to say why though. I just know that its as good as Bass beer and pancakes...and thats waaay good, lemme tell ya.

Gil,
ya gotta try it or you're not a southerner.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't like cheese and unbaked apples.

Mort
08-28-2008, 05:05 PM

They do sound not being compatible :) They might even be each others archnemesises!

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-28-2008, 07:18 PM
that just screams for a Dr. Seuss rhyme

I dont like cheese and unbaked apples
I do not like them, said friend of Dapple

tworiverswoman
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
mmmm chocolate pudding pie with meringueHOLY CRAP! Do you know you are the FIRST person I've ever run across that knows this pie? My mother used to make them for me for my birthdays instead of cake.

~drools nostalgically~

And Pecan PIE is way too sweet. My mom used to make little bite-size Pecan tassies -- little bitty tarts with the same ingredients as a pecan pie -- THOSE were to die for. There's a version of them sold at Safeway. Not as good as my mother's, but adequate.

tanaww
08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
HOLY CRAP! Do you know you are the FIRST person I've ever run across that knows this pie? My mother used to make them for me for my birthdays instead of cake.

This kind is my second favorite. They're quite common in my family. I'd make them but meringue is work. Cool whip will do the trick :)

And Pecan PIE is way too sweet.

Inconceivable. You cut the sweet with some good kona or Danish coffee.

I used to know this lovely woman in Hawaii that would send me coffee sometimes and these lovely little nut things...

Sei'taer
08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
HOLY CRAP! Do you know you are the FIRST person I've ever run across that knows this pie? My mother used to make them for me for my birthdays instead of cake.

~drools nostalgically~

I used to work with a pastry chef who would make it every now and then. I got hooked on it and practiced until I could make it just like she did. Fabulous pie, but for some reason pie always tastes better when somone else makes it. She taught me how to make cheesecake too, but I'm waaaaay out of practice on that because it takes so long to do. And bread pudding...mmmmmm bread pudding....I had forgot about that until just now....mmmmm...man, she could cook..

And Pecan PIE is way too sweet. My mom used to make little bite-size Pecan tassies -- little bitty tarts with the same ingredients as a pecan pie -- THOSE were to die for. There's a version of them sold at Safeway. Not as good as my mother's, but adequate.

I love pecan pie, but some people do make it a little sweet so you have to compensate with milk or coffee.

Davian93
09-14-2008, 08:52 AM
So I was up in Canadia yesterday and all the recent talk about coffee basically forced me to seek out a Tim Horton (no easy task in Montreal). Excellent coffee and I bought a big can of it...along with a Tim Horton travel mug.

There were a bunch of Van Houton Cafes there too but I had to find the real thing so I was able to find the one Tim Horton in old town Montreal.