PDA

View Full Version : I'll take mine medium rare with onions and mushrooms

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 03:48 PM
um..yum...maybe..Anybody ever had any?

Kangaroos Could Be the Answer to Global Warming, Australian Scientists Believe .

Global warming is a fallout of the greenhouse effect, and hence controlling greenhouse gas emissions is a major task before the scientific community.

Australian researchers believe kangaroos, their national animal, could come in handy. For kangaroo flatulence contains no methane and scientists want to transfer that bacteria to cattle and sheep.

Kangaroos produce virtually no methane because their digestive systems are different.

Scientists say the bacteria found in kangaroo’s stomachs makes the digestive process much more efficient and could potentially save millions of dollars in feed costs for farmers.

"Not only would they not produce the methane, they would actually get something like 10 to 15 percent more energy out of the feed they are eating," said Klieve.

Even farmers who laugh at the idea of environmentally friendly kangaroo farts say that's nothing to joke about, particularly given the devastating drought Australia is suffering periodically.

Dr George Wilson, of the Australian Wildlife Services, urges farming them.

He also points out that kangaroo meat tastes better, “…excellent, not unlike venison - only a different flavour."

The country already produces 30 million kangaroos farmed by landholders in the outback.

But Dr Wilson is keen to see that population dramatically increased to produce the same amount of kangaroo meat as that currently produced by conventional livestock.

MMMMMmmmm no more cow farts. sounds great!

Cary Sedai
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I suppose I'd be willing to try kangaroo meat. Shock says it tastes good. I just have one problem, the little joeys look so darn cute in thier momma's pouches. How can I eat an animal that carries it's young around like that!?

Plus, has anyone determined the environmental impact of raising kangaroos on a large scale outside of thier natural environment?

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I suppose I'd be willing to try kangaroo meat. Shock says it tastes good. I just have one problem, the little joeys look so darn cute in thier momma's pouches. How can I eat an animal that carries it's young around like that!?

Plus, has anyone determined the environmental impact of raising kangaroos on a large scale outside of thier natural environment?

Oh, i'd try it...and probably like it too. And the little Joey's would prolly be just like Veal.

Cary Sedai
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Ack, no veal! :p

I'm not a vegetarian. I do eat meat, I don't eat veal though, that makes me too sad.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
What if you don't like venison?

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
What if you don't like venison?

Then you eat something else. They never mentioned chicken...or fish

caladanbrood
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I've had kanagaroo, it's very nice :D

cottillion
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I've had Kangaroo jerky and its pretty good.

irerancincpkc
08-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmm... after your previous tricks, Sei, should I ask for a link? :D

I've never had kangeroo, and I don't want to. It would be horrible, thinking I was eating Roo or his mom...

Davian93
08-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Are Kangeroos red meat?

I would think they'd be pretty gamey unless you domesticate them and raise them...kinda like Ostrich (which is delicious BTW).

I'd definitely try it...but then I'm pretty open about eating animals other than cows, chicken and pigs.

Goat is also really good.;)

cottillion
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Are Kangeroos red meat?

I would think they'd be pretty gamey unless you domesticate them and raise them...kinda like Ostrich (which is delicious BTW).

I'd definitely try it...but then I'm pretty open about eating animals other than cows, chicken and pigs.

Goat is also really good.;)
It's been a while but I remember it as closer to venison then any of the birds. It has a pretty strong flavour and pretty low in fat.

Ivhon
08-14-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm game.

Get it? Game? Game-y? Huh?

*sigh*

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Hmm... after your previous tricks, Sei, should I ask for a link? :D

Wha'? My poo link didn't meet your high standards? You can google the title on this one and get the story for yourself then...

Shock Lance
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes Dav Kangaroo is Red Meat, it's really good actually as it is very low in fat being a very lean meat. It does have a slight game taste to it but not overpowering. Taste closer to beef then any other mass produced meat (ie pork, chicken turkey etc). Emu is also quite a good meat making us the only country that eats our coat of arms.

Terez
08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Who says we don't eat eagles?

Davian93
08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
So we're not supposed to be eating Bald Eagle?

Ah Crap!

tworiverswoman
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I love when I read a phrase like "just a different flavor..."

Mutton is "just a different flavor," too -- a rather unpleasant one, to my taste buds.

I had Ossa Bucco at a local restaurant, once -- it's lamb shank and for some reason always REALLY cheap on the menus. It was good but I couldn't eat more than a little of it before the flavor just became too much.

I haven't brought myself to try buffalo meat yet -- and I'd have a problem with 'roo meat, too, I suspect.

Davian93
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Buffalo tastes like lean ground beef...Go and buy 93% lean ground beef and its basically the same as buffalo. When making burgers out of buffalo you actually have to add fat into it or its too dry.

Otherwise they're basically big shaggy cows...taste wise at least.

RogueSavior
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Hold up... the coat of arms in Australia is an EMU? Don't you have all sorts of a plethora of scary critters down there?

Maybe they were just trying to embarass the folks at the Penal colony!

Sei'taer
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I've tried all kinds of stuff. Best steak I ever had was a buffalo. Rattlesnake tastes like turtle, but it has the consistency of fish...kinda flaky. Goose is greasy as hell and I don't like it, duck is good, but I like the breast the best. I like all fowl actually. Emu is tasty, and I ate ostrich and ostrich egg once and it was fine. Elk, Deer, Moose, Wild boar...ummm, I sure theres more but I can't remember it all right now...oh, alligator is awesome too.

Shock Lance
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
RS- the Australian Coat of Arms has both a Kangaroo and an Emu standing next to it. Hence we eat our coat of arms.

Birgitte
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Shocky, he got that part. He's just saying that someone should've picked some cooler animal than the emu. It's lame.

Ishara
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Osso Buccuo is cheap because it's a crap cut of meat, relatively speaking. It's all the wine that makes it oh so fancy. ;) And no, not sure I could bring myself to eat kangaroos. I'd keep thinking of Kanga and Roo.:(