PDA

View Full Version : Password Security

Terez
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Apparently al-Assad didn't take password security lessons (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/08/anonymous-hacks-syrian-presidents-email-with-12345-password/). 12345? Really?

fdsaf3
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
One, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Terez
02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
One, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!lol. I assume your password is not so predictable as your handle.

tworiverswoman
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
One, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!Well, there goes the planet!

DahLliA
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
politicians: our best and brightest...

Tomp
02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
One, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

No sir, I didn't see you playing with your dolls again. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMxTFqPET5I) :D

Sei'taer
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't understand why people have shitty passwords. It's not that hard to come up with a combination of characters that make sense to you but not to anyone else.

fdsaf3
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't understand why people have shitty passwords. It's not that hard to come up with a combination of characters that make sense to you but not to anyone else.

I once got into a huge argument with my dad where I tried to convince him not to use his social security number as his password.

Parents...wtf are going to do with them?

Sei'taer
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I once got into a huge argument with my dad where I tried to convince him not to use his social security number as his password.

Lmao!

Davian93
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/downloadsquad.switched.com/media/2010/09/skroob.jpg

Tomp
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/downloadsquad.switched.com/media/2010/09/skroob.jpg

Keep firing assholes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4)

tworiverswoman
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
As a semi-serious post on ID theft...

I've been getting two or three calls a week for the last month or two from a company based in Texas that tells me that ID Theft Prevention training is "federally mandated" for companies over x size. No two callers have had the same voice, as far as I can tell, and I've been asking them for verification on this "federal mandate" they talk about from the very first call.

Telemarketing at its "best," as far as I can see. A Google search did turn up a hint that TEXAS may have made this kind of training a requirement, but since I don't work in Texas, for them to keep calling me is beginning to irritate the crap out of me.

What I'm uncertain of it what level of scam this is... Is it just a way to try to drum up additional business by dishonest (well... extremely carefully worded at least) claims? Should I be reporting these calls to someone? Are they trying to get me to show them my employee database? No telling. They want to set up a conference call between me and some "free advisors"....

Yeah....

I told today's caller that I was tired of them wasting my time answering these calls and to stop bothering me. Next time I'm thinking of threatening to report them to some kind of "fraud" hotline or something. There is an actual ID Theft hotline - maybe I should contact THEM.

Davian93
02-08-2012, 09:12 PM

I've been getting two or three calls a week for the last month or two from a company based in Texas that tells me that ID Theft Prevention training is "federally mandated" for companies over x size. No two callers have had the same voice, as far as I can tell, and I've been asking them for verification on this "federal mandate" they talk about from the very first call.

Telemarketing at its "best," as far as I can see. A Google search did turn up a hint that TEXAS may have made this kind of training a requirement, but since I don't work in Texas, for them to keep calling me is beginning to irritate the crap out of me.

What I'm uncertain of it what level of scam this is... Is it just a way to try to drum up additional business by dishonest (well... extremely carefully worded at least) claims? Should I be reporting these calls to someone? Are they trying to get me to show them my employee database? No telling. They want to set up a conference call between me and some "free advisors"....

Yeah....

I told today's caller that I was tired of them wasting my time answering these calls and to stop bothering me. Next time I'm thinking of threatening to report them to some kind of "fraud" hotline or something. There is an actual ID Theft hotline - maybe I should contact THEM.

I know a guy that works for that task force at FBI...if you PM me your SS# and maiden name, I'll make sure you get on their no-call list.

Oh, and I need your account number so he can verify who you are.

Sei'taer
02-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Yeah....

I woe tell them you contacted the fraud hotline, the BBB, and the ID theft hotline and could they please give you a call back number and a name to contact because the fraud hotline and the theft hotline told you that you needed those to make a comprehensive report.

It usually works for me.

eht slat meit
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM

It sounds like they're working the social engineering angle by establishing a relationship with you that will eventually work its way around to asking for something from you... either money, or data that will allow them to phish for material they can exploit.

You're better served severing that right now, tell them to put you on their no-call list, and then report it to one of the agencies Terez mentioned.

Figbiscuit
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

It's not that hard to come up with one. My personal problem is then remembering that combination the next time I need to use it...

Firseal
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Nursing homes.

Crispin's Crispian
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
It's not that hard to come up with one. My personal problem is then remembering that combination the next time I need to use it...

I am no longer amazed at how ridiculously easy some folks' passwords are. "But I put a '1' at the end."

But the key is really just making it mean something to you. Take a name and add some non-letter characters instead of letters (like te4ez). Or just use a passphrase that's really long, but impossible for someone to guess.

"ijustpostedontheoryland"

(Heh...key... See what I did there?)

Davian93
02-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I tend to use long pass phrases like that myself...with a couple wildcard symbols added in. Long and impossible to guess basically.

Sei'taer
02-09-2012, 07:11 PM
When I get back from parent/teacher conferences, I'll show you how I do mine. I'm probably the only one goofy enough to it this way, but it works for me.

Fin
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
NO sir we call that MR COFFEE. But seriously, I would have thought someone like that would have people for that particular purpose.

Sei'taer
02-09-2012, 10:51 PM

Here's how I do my passwords.

I take my survey book and pick a page between 1 and 500.

In this case, it'll be page 76. I start with the last shot on the page. On this one it was just a general grade survey, so the last shot on the page 343.27 L 14.

If I'm in a hurry, then the password will be something like:

3RD.xg12!$

If I have time or if it's something important, like the stuff at work that I hope they can't ever friggin get into, then I'll use the last shot on the page and the first shot on the page.

All I have to remember is the page number. I use the same pattern every time, but if you don't know the key, then you can't figure out the password.

That's how I do it.

Cor Shan
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
There are actually really cool cards you can generate, with dingbats across the top and sides, then characters in the middle. Remember that, say, a hand is TL (because Mat is your favourite character), read across the card, put in A5dk1wW (or whatever) and victory. Get two matching cards, carry one, if one gets lost, no big deal since a) you shouldn't have any identifying marks on it b) how could you tell what each password is for? and c) you could easily do a substitution on the passwords (switch caps case or smthing)

Unfortunately, my laptop has the keys needed to decrypt it obviously more shiney than the rest due to typing in my password so much.

Figbiscuit
02-10-2012, 04:26 AM

In this case, it'll be page 76. I start with the last shot on the page. On this one it was just a general grade survey, so the last shot on the page 343.27 L 14.

3RD.xg12!$

If I have time or if it's something important, like the stuff at work that I hope they can't ever friggin get into, then I'll use the last shot on the page and the first shot on the page.

All I have to remember is the page number. I use the same pattern every time, but if you don't know the key, then you can't figure out the password.

That's how I do it.

Brilliantly simple. I likes it :)

GonzoTheGreat
02-10-2012, 05:37 AM

3RD.xg12!$

That's how I do it.
Brilliant. Then all you have to do is lose your survey book, buy a new edition of it, and none of your passwords can ever be replicated by anyone at all. Very good security, that.

Zombie Sammael
02-10-2012, 06:01 AM
One of the smartest things I've ever heard regarding password security is to pick a quote that's significant to you, e.g. "to be or not to be, that is the question" and enter as initials, replacing words with numbers where possible "2bon2btitq". So long as it's a quote that isn't widely known you're okay then.

Of course, mine is a nonsense word... spelled incorrectly.

Sei'taer
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Brilliant. Then all you have to do is lose your survey book, buy a new edition of it, and none of your passwords can ever be replicated by anyone at all. Very good security, that.

Not really, because after I type it in several times, like the one for TL, then I start to remember it without needing to look it up. As a matter of fact, I haven't even looked up a password since I got laid off last march, so the ones I use everyday are all memorized.

Ivhon
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I take a random word that only has meaning for me - say "beer" translate it to phone numbers, in this case 2337, put the original word back in front - beer2337 - and then add my random caps/numbers/symbols: Be3r2337

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
my passwords are...

PASSWORDS! So I don't intend on sharing any hints with you freaks of nature. :p

Dajoran
02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm going to leave this little link here...

XKCD for truth!! (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png)

Sei'taer
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm going to leave this little link here...

XKCD for truth!! (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png)

Just another reason why you shouldn't have a shitty password. It's not that hard to come up with one.

Crispin's Crispian
02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
You're better served severing that right now, tell them to put you on their no-call list, and then report it to one of the agencies Terez mentioned.

... the fraud hotline, the BBB, and the ID theft hotline ...

:eek: Is Sei'taer or Terez the the ID thief?!

Terez
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh come now, you know we all look alike to noobs. (Just like they all look alike to us.)

Tomp
02-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh come now, you know we all look alike to noobs. (Just like they all look alike to us.)

Yep. You're the grey mass we idolize and try to emulate.

eht slat meit
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
:eek: Is Sei'taer or Terez the the ID thief?!

Oops.