PDA

View Full Version : Padan Fain

Fin
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
i was doing a re read of TGH and I came across the chapter where Rand is trapped in that loop with the flies. Then I remembered something akin to that happening when he faced him in Far Madding. Is this a skill of Fain, the DO, or a channeler? almost like a vacuole and then again not.

Terez
02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
RJ said it was Fain, and though he didn't give any detail, it seems somewhat in line with some of the skills he picks up from the merge with Mordeth but doesn't really understand.

Ishara
02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
GLotD actually had a really interesting take on it (http://greatlordofthedark.blogspot.com/2012/01/great-hunt-chapters-10-12.html) during his bloggy re-read. I'll post that bit in its entirety, but strongly suggest clicking through and reading the whole post:

The Great Hunt - Chapters 10-12

Many of the channeling sections in this book and the previous one left readers confused, partly because we have no frame of reference to know this is channeling, partly because they are written to portray the confusion of the characters. I’ll analyze the infamous House of Flies scene:
We’ve already had one abandoned village where a woman in white mysteriously disappeared. They say Uno is jumping at curtains. A second abandoned village is entered. Curtains beat in an open window. The curtains are a cue to the reader to make the association with the previous village, to note that the situation is exactly the same, so they should expect… a woman in white who can’t be found. Instead, when Rand enters the dining room…
He blinks, and sees a scene from the recent past.
He blinks, and is in the present, cold, with louder flies on the table.
He blinks, and the scene from the past repeats.
He blinks, and is in the present, colder, with a lot more flies on the table. He seeks the void.
He blinks, and the scene from the past repeats.
He blinks, and is freezing, flies crawl into his mouth. He touches saidin.
The weave is destroyed.
It won’t be until Egwene dreams of the Woman in White a chapter later that the reader can confirm any suspicion that she was involved in the House of Flies scene.
This technique of gradual revelation builds suspense. It allows for a quick build-up as seen here, or a camouflaged longer term build-up as when Rand gradually began to channel in the Eye of the World. First, a danger is mentioned; second, a strong reminder; third, an immediate threat. A similar example is the unseen eyes on Rand, then Liandrin, and finally a fleeting image of the owner of those eyes. It’s like a variant of a joke in which you repeat the principal situation twice, and the listener knows that the third time you say it will be the time something funny happens. The material between each bit of revelation is less important than the space it provides between them, so that it is not as obvious as in the joke that there will be a third time, when the third time will be, and that a noteworthy event will take place on the third time.

Fin
02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
was following glotd for a while. Sometimes i just catch up on a few days at a time in one day. havent seen one since sunday i think.

suttree
02-10-2012, 01:10 AM
But according to RJ it was Fain right?