PDA

View Full Version : Board Game Glory!

The Great Serpent
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Ahoy, folks.

You may not know this... but I'm obsessed with board games. We used to play 3 or 4 nights a week in college (usually whilst pre-gaming for other adult activities), and, since, I've spent more money than you need to know on board games.

Personally, my absolute favorite is Small World, a game of (S)laughter. I own every expansion for it , and the Underground version which is a standalone game. It's a completely diceless area control game where battles are decided entirely by combat strength with essentially no dice rolling. Thought it does have its flaws (Unkillable Elves? Really?), it's always fun, and incredibly easy to pick up the rules.

Our game of choice in college was A Game of Thrones, which recently came out with a second edition which has kept all of the good and fixed nearly all of the bad. Like Small World, combat is largely decided entirely by player skill, though there is occasionally a bit of poor luck to ruin your day in the new version.

Of course, I also enjoy a few deckbuilding games, such as Dominion and Ascension, and a few other card-based civilization-building games, such as Race for the Galaxy and 7 Wonders.

And, on the more classic Euro-gaming front, it's hard to beat Agricola.

So I was wondering what were some of your favorites? Obviously, I'll be elitist and derisory towards most Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers games, but feel free to fire back - if they're your favorite, you must love them for a reason, right?

fdsaf3
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm big on card games: cribbage is a favorite, but I enjoy almost every card game I've ever played.

I tend to enjoy strategic games like Risk, Axis and Allies, etc.

I'm also really into Settlers of Catan.

Cor Shan
02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah, Risk is a lot of fun.

DahLliA
02-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Axis & Allies is my favorite.

I also really enjoy Zombies!!!!! and the one I'll never be able to spell correctly, Carcasonne.

in addition I've also played quite a bit of RoboRally lately

ShadowbaneX
02-13-2012, 07:52 AM
I've got two words for you RS: Twilight Imperium.

Figbiscuit
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, Risk is a lot of fun.

Seconded

and the one I'll never be able to spell correctly, Carcasonne.

I play Carcasonne on the Xbox, or at least, I went through a phase of it for a while.

Funny you should mention board games - on Saturday night I sat with the OH and two other friends and played through the Discworld Ankh-Morpork game the OH bought me for my birthday. Excellently enjoyable. Kind of a cross between Risk and Monopoly (very loosely based), not required to be a DW fan (I am obsessive, my friends not so much), and although it seemed complicated when reading the rules, once we'd played a couple of rounds it was very straight-forward, very enjoyable, and also ended well (I do like Monopoly, but it gets a bit wearing when a game drags on for hours and hours...)
10/10 from me :D

Isabel
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I also play board games with friends. One of my favourites is Order of the stick.
I have played small world once (and I did like it).

Other games I have played:
-endeaver
- seven wonders
- and many more. (whose names I have forgotten)

ShadowbaneX
02-13-2012, 12:49 PM
So now that I've got a bit more time.

Twilight Imperial. If you cannot claim to love board games if you aren't familiar with it.

I was having a similar conversation with Frenzy last week. For the people that are saying Monopoly & Life or any game where the primary mechanic is rolling dice, there are so many better things out there. Some of my friends love board games and has introduced me to the following.

Citadels (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels), Carcassonne (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne), Pandemic (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30549/pandemic), Power Grid (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid), Betrayal at House on the Hill (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-at-house-on-the-hill), Dominion (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion), Battlestar Galactica (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37111/battlestar-galactica), Puerto Rico (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3076/puerto-rico) & probably more.

I know of Diplomacy (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/483/diplomacy), but I've never played it as I like my friends. If you've got a bunch of friends that like board games, but you don't like them, then Diplomacy is the game for you!

I've also played a variety of SJ Games like Zombies, Ninja Burger & Munchkin, but those are more in the dice rolling side of things and less on the strategy. Also played the other "well known new games" like Axis & Allies & Settlers of Catan. Those games do feature more dice rolling but those seem to be much more balanced with the strategy involved. Monopoly & Life don't really have strategy, just dice rolling.

Betrayal, Battlestar & Pandemic are fun games in that they're largely co-operative, the games are designed so that you're working together to battle the board. Betrayal & Battlestar have traitor mechanics to make things more interesting.

Games like Dominion (and there's a similar Space version? Quest for the Galaxy? That aren't bad, but I'm not too high on as they get somewhat repetitive.

Twilight Imperium is like the ultimate game. It's like most of the games I mentioned above, combined together and then with elements of Magic the Gathering added in as well. The reason why I don't play more of it is that you cannot play it in an evening, you need most of a day.

Heinz
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Settlers is probably my favorite 'all around' game. I'm more of a military strategy board gamer, but I find Settlers good for crowds that include people who have no interest in military strategy. I learned Settlers when I was in Germany, brought my game with its 6-player expansion back with me to the States, and snicker every time someone scrunches their face when they pick up an 'Entwiklungkarten' and they can't read wtf the card says. Sadly 'Siegespunkt' are pretty self-explanatory with a giant '1' on them as well.

Carcassonne (sp?) was also good fun in Germany.

I enjoy a good game of Axis&Allies, old school version or the Europe/Pacific maps. Don't like the individual battle ones. I prefer 'hex'-style board games.. more advanced. But its hard finding opponents for that even among my military strategy friends, so Axis&Allies it often is. Sticking with basic board games, Shogun is also good fun.

But yea, all time favorite would have to be Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

Davian93
02-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I enjoy a good game of Axis&Allies, old school version or the Europe/Pacific maps. Don't like the individual battle ones. I prefer 'hex'-style board games.. more advanced. But its hard finding opponents for that even among my military strategy friends, so Axis&Allies it often is. Sticking with basic board games, Shogun is also good fun.

Do you have an account at Warlight (Warlight.net)?

If so, PM me so we can set up a game. If not, you should join. Its fun.

Heinz
02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't, but I'll take a look when I get home from work. Thanks!

Fin
02-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Nightmare board game for the win. I still have it i think.

Khoram
02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you have an account at Warlight (Warlight.net)?

If so, PM me so we can set up a game. If not, you should join. Its fun.

Definitely join in. It's very fun, and if you're good enough, you'll gain bragging rights (obviously, I haven't gained bragging rights, yet. :().

On the OP, I very much enjoy the classic Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit. There's this video/boardgame from a while back (it uses a VHS :eek:) called Nightmare, which I enjoyed as a kid. I have fond memories of the game, being played in my basement in the middle of the night, all the lights off, and then, all of a sudden, a flash of lightning, the crash of thunder, and the Gatekeeper comes on the screen, scaring all of us sitting around the board. :D

ETA: Nightmare board game for the win. I still have it i think.

Fin beat me to it. Darn. But awesome. :D

The Great Serpent
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I've got two words for you RS: Twilight Imperium.

That Behemoth's on my shelf. Gollum-frogs with fast transports to start forever!

Citadels, Carcassonne, Pandemic, Power Grid, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Dominion, Battlestar Galactica, Puerto Rico & probably more.

I know of Diplomacy, but I've never played it as I like my friends

Played it (Loved it), Played it (Quite simple, but enjoyable), Played it (Stupid Easy.), Haven't played it, Own it, Own it, Played it (Loved it), and played it (My friend Peter's a dickwad).

I'll also toss up Shadows of Camelot as a co-operative game, which only occasionally has a traitor, though it, too, is quite simple to beat if there's NOT a traitor.

For those of you saying you love Settlers of Catan, I must recommend Agricola. It has none of the card nonsense, and all of the Farming and "Why you little...[muttered insult]" action of that game. And it's also a much, much better game.

I recommend Eurogames for those of you who're loving Monopoly, as well - Agricola, Le Havre, Puerto Rico, are all largely economics and "I own more than you! MUWAHAHAHA!" based.

Sei'taer
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I love card games. Poker, rummy, gin that kind of thing. I like scrabble and upwords and any kind of crosswords. I also like dominoes. Mexican train being my favorite right now.

I play a lot of other board games but you asked that I not mention them.

ShadowbaneX
02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
That's one of the great things about Settlers, it pretty much doesn't matter what the language it's in...I guess, unless you're stuck going the development card route, or you've got Knights & Cities.

A friend of mine, a WW2 enthusiast and gun nut set about reworking the rules for Axis & Allies because he thought the game wasn't complex enough.

Regardless, Heinz, same thing to you as I said to RS, especially if you like hex tile based, military strategy games, Twilight Imperium.

A game under way (http://www.media-mania.de/images/UploadGrafiken/TwilightImperiumSE1.jpg). Some of the pieces (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AXLJbMV_wUI/TjsQXR1gyVI/AAAAAAAAAcA/VJjlWal8szs/s1600/pieces.jpg). A close up of some of the pieces (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2359027969_3fb44fe208.jpg).

In the close-up, clock-wise, from the top: "Doom Star", Infantry, PDS (Planetary Defense System), Fighter, Cruiser, Dreadnaught, Carrier, Frigate, Factory.

DahLliA
02-14-2012, 03:10 AM
not a board game, but if you got friends you'd like to unfriend try Axis of Evil (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22595/axis-of-evil-a-strategic-wargame)

pretty much nothing except betrayal and backstabbing :D

Figbiscuit
02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I had no idea there were so many board games!

I love em, the problem I have is getting people to play regularly with me. That's the only problem I find, they aren't much of a one person sport.

Terez
02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I looked all over for a regular version of Trivial Pursuit recently, and couldn't find it anywhere. Just specialty versions. But I didn't look online. I'm more into card games, particularly invented ones. My favorite is wild-card gin-rummy, which requires 4 jokers. When I was younger, I liked Clue and a few others.

GonzoTheGreat
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm more into card games, particularly invented ones. My favorite is wild-card gin-rummy, which requires 4 jokers. When I was younger, I liked Clue and a few others.
When I was younger, we now and then invented card games as we went along. Just shuffle a few packs of cards, give everyone some (or many), and start. Combining games like poker, bridge and such, where none of the players knew what rule would be introduced with the next card, really made things lively.

Then again, when it came to board games, combining risk with a game where you could earn money, with which you could then buy armies, also added a dimension of complexity to it.

Tomp
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
A number of years ago me and my friends combined a strategic game (Mighty empires (GW)) with a tactical game (Warhammer fantasy battle).

You moved around and explored the world with your "army banners" in the strategic game.

The battles between the different armies were fought in the tactical game with the miniatures.

The build points, for the tactical game, were noted for each army banner, in the strategic game and it was possible to gain advantages by outsmarting your opponent and thereby have a bigger (or smaller) amount of build points for the different armies in the battles.

We played about once a week and a campaign could last for several months.

Fin
02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I looked all over for a regular version of Trivial Pursuit recently, and couldn't find it anywhere. Just specialty versions. But I didn't look online. I'm more into card games, particularly invented ones. My favorite is wild-card gin-rummy, which requires 4 jokers. When I was younger, I liked Clue and a few others.

im fairly sure i have the original trivial pursuit in storage.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
One of my all time favorite blogs...from before people knew what blogs were...is defectiveyeti (http://defectiveyeti.com/)

The author is a huge board game nut with tons of great ideas for new stuff. If he likes it, you will. Click on the "I play board games. So should you" link on the right side. :)

This Darth Vader Made Me Cry post (http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000627.html)is what made me love him.

DahLliA
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
When I was younger, we now and then invented card games as we went along. Just shuffle a few packs of cards, give everyone some (or many), and start. Combining games like poker, bridge and such, where none of the players knew what rule would be introduced with the next card, really made things lively.

you should get a Deck of Dragons and a few Bridgeburners to play with :p

ShadowbaneX
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Your board gaming geek cred is affirmed RS. Seeing all the other replies I had feared that there was a severe lack amongst this board.

As for TI3, I'm a fan of The Mentak Coalition & The Naalu. The Naalu are practically broken getting to always go first. I won my first game with them. Always getting to act before everyone else regardless of which strategy you take is broken. I haven't gotten to try the Shattered Empire or Shards of the Throne races yet, although I've played against the Embers of Muaat.

As for the others, I've got to ask why you thought that Pandemic was so easy? How many players were you using and how many Outbreaks? When playing with my friends we continue to find the game challenging.

I've heard that Shadows of Camelot was similar to Battlestar Galactica with the traitor mechanic, might get around to playing it at some point. Also, it looks like you're missing one of the games I mentioned, so I'm wondering which that was.