PDA

View Full Version : Bored

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Non of the conversations/arguments on here interest me. So let's have a food discussion again.

Whatcha all doin' for Valentines Day?

We had pulled pork sammys yesterday, today will either be pasta carbonara at home or bar burgers out. Nothing fancy.

Davian93
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
My SO is in class until 830 pm so I will put together the IKEA cabinet we bought over the weekend and have dinner ready when she gets home...dinner being center-cut filets with red potatoes cooked in butter/seasonings and some sort of easy side vegetable.

I might do somethign a bit more complicated but it depends when i get out of work.

Sei'taer
02-14-2012, 04:05 PM
My SO is in class until 830 pm so I will put together the IKEA cabinet we bought over the weekend and have dinner ready when she gets home...dinner being center-cut filets with red potatoes cooked in butter/seasonings and some sort of easy side vegetable.

I might do somethign a bit more complicated but it depends when i get out of work.

Poppyseed chicken casserole here. Nothing fancy.

Ivhon
02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
MrsIvhon made truffles last night. YUMMMMM

Ishara
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
We'll probably get Mexican take-out for dinner! Am excited!

But the best part is the delicious cupcakes that I picked up after an appointment. Can't WAIT to nom on those for dessert!

Basel Gill
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Might just do grilled cheese, but no one here likes those...;)

fdsaf3
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Turkey sandwich. Yep.

bowlwoman
02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
MrsIvhon made truffles last night. YUMMMMM

I'll PM you my address. I assume you do free local delivery? :D

Lupusdeusest
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I had steamed vegies. The dog got the leftovers. :|

Davian93
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
IKEA cabinets suck...to put together.

Rand al'Fain
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Wondering how my future step-father will be. He was rushed to the ER last night at about 8:00 pm. At first it sounded like a heart attack or stroke. Turned out it was pancriatitus (have no idea how it is spelled), but since he has to do dialisis (probably spelled that wrong too), he had to be droven down to either Fort Collins or Loveland, Colorado. They gave him morphine for the pain, but it sounds like he'll only have to spend a few days to a week in the hospital taking anti-biotics and fluids, and he'll be alright.

fdsaf3
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Pancreatitis? (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002129/)

Zaela Sedai
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Nothing at all.

After Xmas, Anniversary, His birthday... who needs a 4th card LOL

Fin
02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Took my wife to The Melting Pot. I love that place.

bowlwoman
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

I did a girls' night out with my two friends at the MP on Friday. It was tasty. :) We also usually go there for our birthday.

We had planned to go to a newish local bar & grill near our house with the girls. Hubby got there first while I was picking up the kiddos from preschool, and he called and said it looked like it was closed down. They have another location in downtown Austin (which opened after our North location), and they said that they had decided to close that location down, and today was the first day it was closed. Seriously. Who closes a restaurant ON Valentine's Day, especially if you've got two locations? Wait until the 15th and cart everything 20 miles to the other place.

Anyway, we wound up going to Razzoo's, a cajun place. It was so yummy. Hurricanes were on special. I would have gotten two, since Hubby drove, but I'm back and work and need to be somewhat sober. :) Hubby took the girls to get ice cream.

Fin
02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
a hurricane :) oooh pat o'briens. I am cajun and the closest thing to cajun i had recently would be boudin. I saw something on Tv about a restaurant in austin that i will go to when im ever out in TX again. Something like Magnolia place. It looked really good!

bowlwoman
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
a hurricane :) oooh pat o'briens. I am cajun and the closest thing to cajun i had recently would be boudin. I saw something on Tv about a restaurant in austin that i will go to when im ever out in TX again. Something like Magnolia place. It looked really good!

Magnolia Cafe. And yes, it's quite tasty. :) There are a lot of good local landmarks in the South Congress/Riverside area.

I do like Pat O'Briens the best of any hurricane mix I've found. The last time I had any with POB mix was right before Katrina hit New Orleans. I made up a batch and we toasted the city before it all went down.

Ishara
02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
I love me a good Hurricane, but we make then from scratch! I didn't know you could get a mix...

The Mexican place was also closed (which is wierd, right?), so we ended up having V-Day poutine, and watching the Big Bang Theory. Sadly, there was no room for cupcakes. Ha ha. Dessert after dinner tonight, I guess.

Davian93
02-15-2012, 08:55 AM

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4134/4899429947_b60fb08e94.jpg

I had a grilled cheese at a Melting Pot once...oh, and the food is good too.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
I was sick with a borderline asthma attack yesterday (thanks to high mold/tree pollen count and the lack of wind and humidity and cool temps). Bryan took time off work to come get me and take me home (he had to go back to work, though). And then on his way home from work later, he stopped off and got chicken noodle soup from Chick-fil-A and picked up a dozen roses for Valentine's Day.

And then held me while I coughed all night.

Davian93
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Chick-Fil-a is awesome...except for their "closed on Sunday" thing. I respect it but I always hated it when I worked in a mall and wanted Chick-Fil-a on Sunday.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Think of it this way: makes it that much better when you get it on Monday. LOL

Davian93
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Think of it this way: makes it that much better when you get it on Monday. LOL

The closest Chick-fil-a for me is in the Boston area. Its more of a "once every year or so" type of thing. Which probably makes it taste better than it really is. As far as fast food chicken sandwiches go, I think they are the best with Popeyes being right behind them.

The Unreasoner
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
I love Popeyes.
I was sick with a borderline asthma attack yesterday (thanks to high mold/tree pollen count and the lack of wind and humidity and cool temps). Bryan took time off work to come get me and take me home (he had to go back to work, though). And then on his way home from work later, he stopped off and got chicken noodle soup from Chick-fil-A and picked up a dozen roses for Valentine's Day.

The best husbands bring steroids.

jk, Bryan is great.

I cooked. Fondue with a mess of stuff to dip in. She didn't seem all that into it. creme brulee for dessert, she inhaled that.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I had an albuterol sulfate inhaler and double anti-histamines. As close as I could get. Almost made me sicker than the asthma, too.

And yes, Bryan is.

Davian93
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
There's a french bakery/pastry shop near my work that makes a ridiculously good creme brulee. They make pretty much everything ridiculously good but I'm hooked on the creme brulee.

http://www.chefscornervt.com/

Davian93
02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I had an albuterol sulfate inhaler and double anti-histamines. As close as I could get. Almost made me sicker than the asthma, too.

And yes, Bryan is.

I think it has something to do with the name Bryan. All people named Bryan are typically stupendously awesome people.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I think it has something to do with the name Bryan. All people named Bryan are typically stupendously awesome people.

Actually... my friend's ex-husband was named Bryan. He hit her.

So, no.

Davian93
02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Actually... my friend's ex-husband was named Bryan. He hit her.

So, no.

Which is why I said "typically". There are some that sully the name obviously and they are the exception to said rule.;)

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Which is why I said "typically". There are some that sully the name obviously and they are the exception to said rule.;)

LOL, I guess you did at that.

I'm making chicken quesadillas tonight for Bryan.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
My first love was named Brian, I believed we were meant to be together. But then I shot up over the summer of 4th grade to 5'7 and he was too short forever after for me.

My V Day was grand. I got roses at work, pretty. We had a plumber visit for a measly $700...and had to wait for him to finish up before we went to dinner so I was starving. I was tired and a bit cranky, so we went to Zach's Hot Dogs and I had a Uptown Buffalo Dog. Huzzzzah!

The plumber looked like Animal from The Muppets. I tried to sneak a picture, but couldn't.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
My first love was named Brian, I believed we were meant to be together. But then I shot up over the summer of 4th grade to 5'7 and he was too short forever after for me.

My V Day was grand. I got roses at work, pretty. We had a plumber visit for a measly $700...and had to wait for him to finish up before we went to dinner so I was starving. I was tired and a bit cranky, so we went to Zach's Hot Dogs and I had a Uptown Buffalo Dog. Huzzzzah!

The plumber looked like Animal from The Muppets. I tried to sneak a picture, but couldn't.

The image of Animal with a plumber's crack just made me laugh so hard I went into a coughing spasm. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY!

Figbiscuit
02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I bragged about this on FB so might as well do it here too...

The OH left for work at 05:30; drove a 600 mile round trip - 5 hours to site, 2 hours on site, 5 hours back, and STILL brought me flowers.

Yes, yes he is awesome :D

I made beef rendang curry (I say made, I cheated and used a sauce cos we've never had it before), and bought some posh caramel shortbreads from the supermarket. The tea wasn't anything special, but we don't often have pudding so that was our concession to romanticism :)

Khoram
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I spent the night working on a paper, reffing, working out, and playing XBox. Ahhhh, the life of a Bachelor. :D I ate some phenomenal leftovers, too. :D

Tonight it'll be more or less the same - study for a midterm tomorrow, ref, work out, and if I'm really lucky, catch the end of the Habs-Bruins game. I'm not aiming to be able to do that, though. :(

bowlwoman
02-15-2012, 02:11 PM

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Your night sounds like Part 2 of our night. Damn Texas mold! I should really go pick up my inhaler from Walgreens tonight, thanks for the reminder of the asthma issue I've just developed. :)

bowlwoman
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM

And yes, Bryan is.

Seriously. It's like one set of lungs here. I'm running on 2 Zyrtec right now and calling in my albuterol inhaler as we speak.

And yes, hubbies are the best. Mine didn't get the drugs for me, but he did let me sleep in this morning and came home at lunch to watch the kids for the rest of the day (they've got sniffles so kept them out of school today).

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Mold sucks. It and ragweed are the worst.

Damned drought has made both worse.

bowlwoman
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Mold sucks. It and ragweed are the worst.

Damned drought has made both worse.

Okay. Now you're just scaring me with the ragweed allergy too. If you're allergic to two different kinds of dust mites, we'll need to talk to our parents about some sort of twin splitting/sibling swapping thing. :D

Ivhon
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Chick-Fil-a is awesome...except for their "closed on Sunday" thing. I respect it but I always hated it when I worked in a mall and wanted Chick-Fil-a on Sunday.

I have CFA on my boycott list.

bowlwoman
02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I have CFA on my boycott list.

Why? Politics, religion, or the fact they use MSG in their batter?

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Okay. Now you're just scaring me with the ragweed allergy too. If you're allergic to two different kinds of dust mites, we'll need to talk to our parents about some sort of twin splitting/sibling swapping thing. :D

ALL dust mites. I'm indiscriminate that way.

Also: (all) trees, (all) pollen, cats, dogs, feathers, hay, sulfur (incl. wine), mildew, roaches, ant bites, certain detergents, most fabric softeners. And I'm probably forgetting something somewhere.

bowlwoman
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Also: (all) trees, (all) pollen, cats, dogs, feathers, hay, sulfur (incl. wine), mildew, roaches, ant bites, certain detergents, most fabric softeners. And I'm probably forgetting something somewhere.

You win. :P

Gilshalos Sedai
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Didn't know I was playing? LOL

ETA: Grass! I forgot grass!

GonzoTheGreat
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

As I was going to say: it'll come to you.

ETA: Grass! I forgot grass!
But you found out yourself, already.

Still, you don't seem to be allergic to fresh paint, which means that there's something you can handle.

Cor Shan
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Gil is as allergic to everything as my girlfriend.

Yesterday we had brunch (at noon ;)), went to a park and watched the sunset, then picked up burgers and beer (Unibroue "Trois Pistoles") and had dinner at home. Plus stuff like the usual chocolates, cinnamon hearts, etc.

The Unreasoner
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
ragweed and dustmites? look no further (than me).

my cousin is allergic to light.

Khoram
02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
ragweed and dustmites? look no further (than me).

my cousin is allergic to light.

That's gotta be the hardest of all. And I'm serious, too.

I have a friend who's pretty much allergic to everything, from pollen to eggs and milk and the such.

I, however, am not allergic to anything known to Man. :D *knock on wood*

Rand al'Fain
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Pancreatitis? (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002129/)
Yep. Just heard earlier today that he should be on his way home tomorrow sometime.

Figbiscuit
02-16-2012, 05:29 AM
That's gotta be the hardest of all. And I'm serious, too.

I have a friend who's pretty much allergic to everything, from pollen to eggs and milk and the such.

I, however, am not allergic to anything known to Man. :D *knock on wood*

*holds hand up* Nickel

However, my mum is allergic to dairy, and I live in fear of developing that. A life without chocolate and cheese would not be worth living :eek:

Tomp
02-16-2012, 05:47 AM
I have no allergies that I know of, but my brother and my mother are allergic to a bunch of stuff.

Lupusdeusest
02-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Mother has difficulties with products that have at some stage been over 40 degrees, but she will live unless it is a sustained diet. I have issues with cocoa products, soy, most colourings and flavours, and wheat. The only one of these I can't get away with eating is the colours and flavours one (and possibly the soy; I have not checked that one in a while, mostly because I do not like soy very much anyway.) As a female, it is sometimes necessary to consume chocolate and to hell with the consequences.
There are also certain other things I am not meant to have due to my thyroid problem - most of my favourite vegies! - but sometimes I just go to hell with the damned thing and eat them.
My father is built like a brick dunny and has the bowel tolerance of one too.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-16-2012, 06:38 AM
mildly allergic to oranges and progressively allergic to dairy: the less processed it is, the more allergic I am. I'm fine with 0%-fat long-term-storage thermonuclear milk and Activia yoghurts and even most cheeses but anything fresh, mild and organic... no. My body also dislikes calcium supplement pills so Activia yoghurts it is!

Zombie Sammael
02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm allergic to aloe vera. That which is intended to soothe skin instead inflames it. This gets very embarrassing if I buy the wrong kind of toilet paper.

Khoram
02-16-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm allergic to aloe vera. That which is intended to soothe skin instead inflames it. This gets very embarrassing if I buy the wrong kind of toilet paper.

Isn't it only embarassing if you walk around with no pants? :confused:

Davian93
02-16-2012, 07:24 AM
On the dairy, are you actually allergic to it or just lactose intolerant? There's a huge difference between the two.

The only thing I'm allergic to is penicillin....which kinda sucks.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
*holds hand up* Nickel

However, my mum is allergic to dairy, and I live in fear of developing that. A life without chocolate and cheese would not be worth living :eek:

Another one I forgot.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
On the dairy, are you actually allergic to it or just lactose intolerant? There's a huge difference between the two.

if they remove lactose as part of processing, then I'm lactose intolerant. I think it's some other component than lactose that's causing me discomfort though.

Davian93
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
if they remove lactose as part of processing, then I'm lactose intolerant. I think it's some other component than lactose that's causing me discomfort though.

Good question...I dont know. For example, I have trouble with regular milk but have no issues with cheese/yogurt (unless I have a ton of it) as I'm mildly lactose intolerant.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Good question...I dont know. For example, I have trouble with regular milk but have no issues with cheese/yogurt (unless I have a ton of it) as I'm mildly lactose intolerant.

yes.... Ben&Jerry's ice cream: no problem. Fresh warm milk straight out of the cow: instant violent diarrhea. I mean... maybe I get 30 seconds, maybe a bit less for a head start.

Khoram
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
yes.... Ben&Jerry's ice cream: no problem. Fresh warm milk straight out of the cow: instant violent diarrhea. I mean... maybe I get 30 seconds, maybe a bit less for a head start.

That's... pleasant... :(

Davian93
02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Yeah, you're lactose intolerant...and pretty severely so from the sounds of it.

Which goes to reason as tolerance to milk sugar is an acquired thing for human populations with northern European dairy cultures (and their descendants) having the most natural immunity (90%+)

Khoram
02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah, you're lactose intolerant...and pretty severely so from the sounds of it.

Which goes to reason as tolerance to milk sugar is an acquired thing for human populations with northern European dairy cultures (and their descendants) having the most natural immunity (90%+)

I guess it's the Luck o' the Irish for me, then. :D

Tomp
02-16-2012, 09:25 AM

As a person with a masters degree in food chemistry maybe I can help.

When you are lactose intolerant it means you are alergic to the sugar typr called lactose. If you are allergic to milk you are allergic to the proteins in milk.

There are lactose free or low-lactose milks and creams. In that case the lactose sugar has been removed by processing.

In yoghurt, sour cream, sour milk and cheese the lactose have been broken down by lactic acid bacteria which produce lactic acid from the lactose. The lactic acid works as a form of presevative. Some cultures (mongoles for example) don't have refrigerators and don't use milk. Instead they produce yoghurt which they can store for a while and then consume, this is why that many from such cultures are lactose intolerant.

The L.A. bacteria also brake down some of the fat in the cheese to produce the ketones that gives the cheese its flavour. That is why cheese with long riping periods tastes stronger.

(Lactic acid is the same substance that forms in your muscles with extensive exorcise and make them work less effective. It is because the muscles demand more oxygen than what's available and that's when it forms. I won't get into the how)

When the Vikings discovered America (called Vinland). There's a written story (don't know the source now) of how the Vikings reached what is now Manhattan. They met the natives (indians) and exchanged gifts and gave the natives food and drink (including milk(they had livestock with them)). The next day the natives attacked the Vikings because they thought that they had been poisoned (lactose intolerance).

Many people become lactose intolerant when they grow up. The exception is the people whose origin is from my part of the world who's lived with fresh milk for thousands of years and have that as a basic food also in adult age.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
hmm, that makes sense.

However, this
the same substance that forms in your muscles with extensive exorcise
http://crapaganda.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Exorcist.jpg

Khoram
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
hmm, that makes sense.

However, this

http://crapaganda.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Exorcist.jpg

Well THERE'S your problem!

Wouldn't excessive exorcise leave you as an empty shell?

Tomp
02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Mark my spoiling and mousetakes why doin't yuck.

Zombie Sammael
02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Isn't it only embarassing if you walk around with no pants? :confused:

The effect of the inflammation is severe itching. I'll let you think about that for a second. Some say it's where the phrase "ants in your pants" comes from.

Tomp
02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Clarification lactose intolerance is not a form of allergy. It is an intolerance. The auto immunic system isn't involved.

It is an inability to absorb the lactose in the intestines and often results in stomache pains and running stool (Yeah yeah a wandering chair, I get it).
It can destroy some of the fine filament hairs in your intestines, which help absorb different nutrients.

Khoram
02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
The effect of the inflammation is severe itching. I'll let you think about that for a second. Some say it's where the phrase "ants in your pants" comes from.

Yeah, well...

There'd be a lot of squirming, no?

ETA: Guys! Google rainymood and click on the first hit. Then listem to something (or, better yet, listen to what they have playing on the page itself). It's true - rain really DOES make everything better. :)

And now, back to your regular derailment of a food thread. :D

bowlwoman
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
As a person with a masters degree in food chemistry maybe I can help.

...If you are allergic to milk you are allergic to the proteins in milk.

So, what's your thought on the A1 vs A2 milk issue?

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I say it's where the phrase "ants in your pants" comes from.
That seems more accurate.

Aloe vera in toilet paper?

So, today I've learned:
TL is full of a bunch of whiners
No one seems to get the true meaning of 'allergic' except Gilshalos Sedai
^Including me*
Lupus is a girl (though I probably knew that and just forgot)
People would rather talk about food coming out than going in on a food thread

*For instance, I'm not allergic to ebola. And my cousin just gets really sick from light (hospitalized every few months, my mom gave part of her liver to him a few years ago), but never was helped by an epi pen

Tomp
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
So, what's your thought on the A1 vs A2 milk issue?

Not familiar with that.

What is A1 and A2?

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what the meaning of allergic is.

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what the meaning of allergic is.

So, today I've learned:
No one seems to get the true meaning of 'allergic' except Gilshalos Sedai
;)

Figbiscuit
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Another one I forgot.

I'm amazed you're still alive :eek:

Figbiscuit
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Aloe vera in toilet paper?

You don't get aloe vera in toilet paper where you are? Sad times.

I've never actually tried it mind, it seems a little excessive to pay the extra, I'd much rather spend my money on wine and cigarettes, but I do like the idea of it.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm amazed you're still alive :eek:

Antihistamines are a wonderful thing.

Unreasoner:

http://my.loudclick.net/Sites/5732/WWW/assets/images/dessert/raspberryoatmealsquares5.png

(Don't get it? Think Space Balls.)

bowlwoman
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Not familiar with that.

What is A1 and A2?
A2 milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk)

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
(Don't get it? Think Space Balls.)
Never seen it.

And given the probable context of that photo... Thank-God.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Never seen it.

Uncultured philistine.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Spaceballs

[Mr.Radar has just been "jammed" with raspberry.] There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry: [pulls down helmet as camera zooms in on his face] Lone Starr! [camera slams into his face and knocks him out]

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
A2 milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk)

I think it should be extensively studied before making any claims at all.

Since it is about proteins it has to do with the allergy not the intolerance and that can be dangerous if handled wrong.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I think it should be extensively studied before making any claims at all.

Since it is about proteins it has to do with the allergy not the intolerance and that can be dangerous if handled wrong.

Aren't most animal allergies based on the proteins? My allergy to cats and dogs is actually to their saliva and a protein found in that. (My dogs are trained to not lick me for the most part -- sometimes they get excited and forget. And if they get regular baths to wash their saliva off their fur, they don't bother me too much.)

Khoram
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Never seen it.

You must lead a sad, sad life if you have never seen Spaceballs. It's a classic!

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Uncultured philistine.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Spaceballs

[Mr.Radar has just been "jammed" with raspberry.] There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry: [pulls down helmet as camera zooms in on his face] Lone Starr! [camera slams into his face and knocks him out]

And here it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKOsajNZY4)

And they are surrounded by assholes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4).

While the boss entertains himself in his quarters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSYfwZpj3U).

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
You must lead a sad, sad life if you have never seen Spaceballs. It's a classic!
I'm not really old enough to have 'just seen it'. I mean, it's the sort of thing where I would have had to actively seek it out to fill a historical films quota.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I think he just called us old.

Davian93
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm not really old enough to have 'just seen it'. I mean, it's the sort of thing where I would have had to actively seek it out to fill a historical films quota.

I feel really old right now. "historical film" ?!?

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Aren't most animal allergies based on the proteins? My allergy to cats and dogs is actually to their saliva and a protein found in that. (My dogs are trained to not lick me for the most part -- sometimes they get excited and forget. And if they get regular baths to wash their saliva off their fur, they don't bother me too much.)

Yes, I think basically all allergic reactions is to proteins from different sources.

The A2 milk was from a new breed of cows. They were said to not include a type of protein and I guess claims are made that they are safe (or safer) to drink for people with milk allergy.

Since an allergic reaction potentially is MUCH more dangerous, than the reaction to lactose intolerance, I thought it should be extensively studied.

You don't want to have a picnic in the countryside with some milk in your tea and feel how your throat is closing up and it's 5 miles (see I used imperial) to the nearest road.

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM

That bastard. Shoot him.

Or use the Schwartz on him.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes, I think basically all allergic reactions is to proteins from different sources.

Well... not all. I'm not sure sulfur and nickel compounds have protein in them. :D

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM

I feel really old right now. "historical film" ?!?
I didn't exactly mean it like that. But it was produced/released/released as vhs all before I was born. So I never would have really seen it at the store or seen previews on tv or whatever. I'd already need to be searching for 80's movies to find it.

For the record, I think of myself as relatively old (which I am, compared to my cousins). Hell, I remember Windows 95

Sarevok
02-16-2012, 03:45 PM

I think I may have to join him on that... I'm almost 4 months older than that movie. :p

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Remembering Windows 95 doesn't make you old.

Playing your first video games on a Commodore 64 or an original Atari does.

And apparently, now, also watching Space Balls on the original VHS or in the theater.

Dav... when did this happen? How...? I mean... it all went by so fast...

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Well... not all. I'm not sure sulfur and nickel compounds have protein in them. :D

Ok, you're correct.

But plant allergies are also reactions to the proteins.

Tomp
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Remembering Windows 95 doesn't make you old.

Playing your first video games on a Commodore 64 or an original Atari does.

And apparently, now, also watching Space Balls on the original VHS or in the theater.

Dav... when did this happen? How...? I mean... it all went by so fast...

Hey, I played on a commodore 64 with a casette station.

I remember playing Bruce Lee and wondered why I had a greenish dog following me.

I later got explained that the green dog actually was a yellow sumo wrestler. :eek:

The grafics back then were awesome :rolleyes:

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Ok, you're correct.

But plant allergies are also reactions to the proteins.

That I knew. How do you become a, what... food chemist, I think you said?

Tomp
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
That I knew. How do you become a, what... food chemist, I think you said?

Actually it's a four year studying programme in university which is directed towards the science behinds food and you get a masters in chemistry, but it is angled toward the science of food.

You have the microbiology and biotechnology (with fermentation (cheese, beer, salami)).

There's some gentechnology.

There's some foodtechnology (freezers, dryers, ovens, pipes, heat transfer and so on)

There's a whole lot that concerns food chemistry in related subjects like, for instance:
human, animal and plant physiology,
nutrition,
toxicology,
cellbiology,
immunology,
quality control in food imdustry
and a lot of other subjects.

The food chemistry courses was more about the chemical build up of different foods. Meat is basically a muscle, but other things. For instance one of the hardest foods to describe chemically is ice cream.

The first year was a solid grounding in basic, organic, bio-, and physical chemistry.

I've written this out of order and probably forgotten some stuff that should be included.

Did that answer it?

Khoram
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I didn't exactly mean it like that. But it was produced/released/released as vhs all before I was born. So I never would have really seen it at the store or seen previews on tv or whatever. I'd already need to be searching for 80's movies to find it.

For the record, I think of myself as relatively old (which I am, compared to my cousins). Hell, I remember Windows 95

Hell, you're older than I am. I wasn't actively seeking it out - I had heard so much about it that I had to see it. Then it happened to be on TV one night, and I was hooked. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Actually it's a four year studying programme in university which is directed towards the science behinds food and you get a masters in chemistry, but it is angled toward the science of food.

You have the microbiology and biotechnology (with fermentation (cheese, beer, salami)).

There's some gentechnology.

There's some foodtechnology (freezers, dryers, ovens, pipes, heat transfer and so on)

There's a whole lot that concerns food chemistry in related subjects like, for instance:
human, animal and plant physiology,
nutrition,
toxicology,
cellbiology,
immunology,
quality control in food imdustry
and a lot of other subjects.

The food chemistry courses was more about the chemical build up of different foods. Meat is basically a muscle, but other things. For instance one of the hardest foods to describe chemically is ice cream.

The first year was a solid grounding in basic, organic, bio-, and physical chemistry.

I've written this out of order and probably forgotten some stuff that should be included.

Did that answer it?

Yes. It sounds fascinating. What did your studies tell you about MSG?

Figbiscuit
02-16-2012, 04:33 PM

But do you remember a world without the internetz?

Tomp
02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Yes. It sounds fascinating. What did your studies tell you about MSG?

We didn't delve into it too much.

It was conflicting research back then and we were generally a little sceptical to it.

However, we did get to taste pure MSG, just a very small amount. It tasted like raw meat. We picked up the taste of our own tongue.

When it comes to MSG in the food industry we mentioned it and discussed it a little, but we didn't dwell on it back then.

Also, this was some years ago now and I may be forgetting some details.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. Still... it doesn't hurt to not eat stuff with that in there if you can afford it.

Davian93
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
But do you remember a world without the internetz?

Yes...very much so. I also remember a time when only rich people had cell phones and others had beepers but it was considered a sign you were a drug dealer.

I actually kind of miss those days as people seemed to be outside more. Now, we walk our dogs in the evening and the neighborhoods we walk through could be post-zombie invasion for all the people we see...insane how no kids are ever outside.

On MSG, I think it has a bad rap. Its a traditional ingredient in Chinese cooking.

Khoram
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
It's a shame that kids aren't out as much anymore. Even when I was a kid, I was out with my friends, biking around the neighbourhood, spending as much time at the park as possible, going all over the place... Nowadays, kids can't go outside unsupervised, or go to the park alone, or do any of the stuff I as a kid took part in.

The Unreasoner
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
To get this food thread back on track...
tonight I am making tartare with
http://shizuokasushi.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/kuromaguro-ootoro.jpg
TORO!

(and apple+walnuts, pear+roqufourt (sp?), vinegar, sriacha, avocado, lime, wasabi, red miso paste, light peanut oil, and egg yolk)
pretty much all of that is served on the side, except the lime/oil/egg

Its what I wanted to do for V -day but the tuna didnt arrive at the deli till today

eta
I forgot shallots, crispy garlic, and sesame seeds
and sour cream
and rye toast

yks 6nnetu hing
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
hey now, Spaceballs was released when I was a toddler but I've still seen it about 5 times, most recently just a few weeks ago when it was on tv. I've also seen Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights :D

Incidentally, I've seen and greatly enjoyed ALL the classic episodes of Tom & Jerry, most of the Road Runner ones, Gone With the Wind, Some Like It Hot, Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. I've never seen the Wizard of Oz though, which does mean that all of the Wicked hype just goes way over my head... and frankly I don't think I'm missing that much.

Davian93
02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
hey now, Spaceballs was released when I was a toddler but I've still seen it about 5 times, most recently just a few weeks ago when it was on tv. I've also seen Blazing Saddles and Robin Hood: Men in Tights :D

Incidentally, I've seen and greatly enjoyed ALL the classic episodes of Tom & Jerry, most of the Road Runner ones, Gone With the Wind, Some Like It Hot, Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. I've never seen the Wizard of Oz though, which does mean that all of the Wicked hype just goes way over my head... and frankly I don't think I'm missing that much.

Does anyone else watch Gone With the Wind and think to themselves "Wow, this is a ridiculously racist movie"? I mean, I appreciate it as a great work of cinema but the inherent racism in the entire plot/story (and the book its based on) is brutal.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Does anyone else watch Gone With the Wind and think to themselves "Wow, this is a ridiculously racist movie"? I mean, I appreciate it as a great work of cinema but the inherent racism in the entire plot/story (and the book its based on) is brutal.

um... look at where/when it's set and when it's made.

TBH, I was always a bit surprised at how Scarlett (a Southern slave owner) interacted with "her" blacks, both before the war, during it and in the sequals after the war. All the tolerance seemed a bit of an anachronism...

The movie itself got a best supporting actress Oscar in 1939, the first ever given to a person of colour - a few decades before the Civil Rights movement even started.

ETA: from Wikipedia:
Upon hearing of the planned film adaptation, the NAACP fought hard to require the film's producer and director to delete racial epithets from the film (in particular the offensive slur "nigger") and to alter scenes that might be incendiary and that, in their view, were historically inaccurate. One fictional scene of particular concern from the book was that in which black men attack Scarlett O'Hara and the Ku Klux Klan, which had a long history of practicing racial terrorism on black communities, responds as saviors.[21] Throughout the south black men were being lynched on shady allegations that they had harmed white women. That attack scene was altered and some offensive language was changed. Still, another epithet, "darkey," remained in the film and the film's message with respect to slavery remained essentially the same. Consistent with the book, the film's script also referred to poor whites as "white trash," and it ascribed these words to black and white characters.

The Loew's Grand Theater on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia, was selected as the theater for the premiere of Gone with the Wind, Friday, December 15, 1939. When the date of the Atlanta premiere approached, all the black actors were barred from attending and excluded from being in the souvenir program as well as southern advertising for the film. David Selznick had attempted to bring Hattie McDaniel, but MGM advised him not to because of Georgia's segregationist laws. Clark Gable angrily threatened to boycott the Atlanta premiere unless McDaniel was allowed to attend, but McDaniel convinced him to attend anyway.]

Most of Atlanta's 300,000 citizens crowded the route of the seven-mile motorcade that carried the film's other stars and executives from the airport to the Georgian Terrace Hotel, where they stayed. While the Jim Crow laws kept McDaniel from the Atlanta premiere, she did attend the Hollywood debut on December 28, 1939. This time, upon Selznick's insistence, her picture was featured prominently in the program.

It was her role as the house slave who repeatedly scolds her owner's daughter, Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh), and scoffs at Rhett Butler (Clark Gable), that won McDaniel the 1939 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, making her the first black American to win an Oscar. She was also the first black American ever to be nominated. "I loved Mammy," McDaniel said when speaking to the white press about the character. "I think I understood her because my own grandmother worked on a plantation not unlike Tara." Her role in Gone with the Wind had alarmed some whites in the Southern audience; there were complaints that in the film she had been too familiar with her white owners. However, one author has observed that McDaniel's character is not far off from the persona of Mammy that Margaret Mitchell created in the book, that in both the film and the book the much younger Scarlett speaks to Mammy in a way that would be unacceptable for a Southern teen of that era to speak to a much older white person, and that neither the book nor the film make any hint to Mammy's own children (dead or alive), her own family (dead or alive) or her desires to have anything other than her life at Tara serving on a slave plantation. Moreover, while she scolds the younger Scarlett, Mammy never crosses the senior white female in that household: Mrs. O'Hara. Some critics felt that McDaniel not only accepted the roles but in her press comments actively affirmed Hollywood's stereotypical practices as appropriate, providing fuel for critics of those who fought for black civil rights. Later, when McDaniel tried to take her "Mammy" character on a road show, black audiences did not prove receptive.

While many blacks were happy over McDaniel's personal victory, they also viewed it as bittersweet. They saw [Gone With the Wind] as a book that celebrated the slave system and condemned the forces that destroyed it. For them, the unique accolade McDaniel had won suggested that only those who did not protest Hollywood's systemic racial stereotypes would find work and success there

Not that different from Selucia, really. In fiction, strong personality but still... property.

Tomp
02-17-2012, 08:10 AM
The movies in the 60's and earlier wasn't really strong on equality between men and women.
Including James Bond (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRaDQZGFdBs).

Gilshalos Sedai
02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
We could be here forever debating an dredging up the bad old days. Finger pointing will get us nowhere

All we can do is learn from them and break the patterns.

GonzoTheGreat
02-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Yes! Break the Pattern. And then we'll make a new one in our own image.
Good plan, that. Someone should write a book about it, or something.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-17-2012, 08:44 AM

No.

Tomp
02-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Ah.

A dark friend.

Get him.

Ishara
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
We could be here forever debating an dredging up the bad old days. Finger pointing will get us nowhere

Except that Hollywood's self-aggrandizing insistence on promoting and perpetuating movies like The Help continue the cycle.

Hollywood has less than no interest in breaking the cycle of racial superiority.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Except that Hollywood's self-aggrandizing insistence on promoting and perpetuating movies like The Help continue the cycle.

Hollywood has less than no interest in breaking the cycle of racial superiority.

What do you expect from a group of people who firmly believe that aliens invaded our DNA?

Davian93
02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
What do you expect from a group of people who firmly believe that aliens invaded our DNA?

LOL...yup

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/motownmaurice/The%20Quest%20Year%202/SOUTH_PARK_SCIENTOLOGY.jpg

Ishara
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM

ROFLMAO. :D

Crispin's Crispian
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Yes...very much so. I also remember a time when only rich people had cell phones and others had beepers but it was considered a sign you were a drug dealer.
You're so young, Davian. Before drug dealers used pagers, they were popular among working and professional class people whose bosses wanted to keep track of them all the time. IOW, my Dad had a pager before they were cool.

I actually kind of miss those days as people seemed to be outside more. Now, we walk our dogs in the evening and the neighborhoods we walk through could be post-zombie invasion for all the people we see...insane how no kids are ever outside.
My wife and I have talked about this quite a bit. Our kids are at the age where they want to go out and play, but we still feel the urge to be out there with them. I'm freaked out they're going to get hit by a car, or just run off down the street somewhere and forget to tell me.

But, still, we do encourage outdoor play more than anything. Our kids only get about two or three hours of screen time per week, not including homework.

Gil, stop jumping up and down on the ESC couch.

Tomp
02-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Completely unrelated.

This (http://www.thelocal.se/39186/20120218/) is really impressive.

Gilshalos Sedai
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Gil, stop jumping up and down on the ESC couch.

No.

Figbiscuit
02-21-2012, 05:50 PM
My wife and I have talked about this quite a bit. Our kids are at the age where they want to go out and play, but we still feel the urge to be out there with them. I'm freaked out they're going to get hit by a car, or just run off down the street somewhere and forget to tell me.

This. I certainly used to do things like run off down the street and forget to tell my folks. And I used to get in trouble for it. And sometimes bad stuff happened when I was out with my mates, but I seem to have survived it all so far. I certainly learned a lot...

We seem to be developing (or have already developed) this culture whereby we won't let kids be kids, yet we also allow kids to dictate societies rules. I find it sad. Also, I don't have children, so I appreciate I have a slightly fanciful ideal in my mind of how I'd like their childhood to be.

GonzoTheGreat
02-22-2012, 03:15 AM
We seem to be developing (or have already developed) this culture whereby we won't let kids be kids, yet we also allow kids to dictate societies rules.
Figures, of course. Adults tend to forget what they were like as kids. But if kids are in charge themselves, they'll make rules intended to prevent them from doing precisely the kind of stupid things kids tend to do. So they only have themselves to blame: if they hadn't grabbed power, they would still have their freedom.