PDA

View Full Version : So I bought two books today

Fin
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Mistborn the Final Empire and Glen Cook's Black Company. Anyone out here read any of glen cook's books? He seems to have quite a few out there. The only thing about Mistborn so far i noticed is that it seems to have a quick learning curve. Its not bad but a glossary would help. Also i noticed several books by a woman Mercedes Lackey i want to say. Has anyone read anything from her and if so what are your thoughts. Im really just looking into books that are parts of series.

Davian93
02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I got Black Company as a gift but have yet to read it.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I have Black Company also, it is sitting underneath GRRM and above Way of Kings. I need to find time to read my new stuff again. (see that is a joke, cuz this stuff isn't even NEW anymore)

Figbiscuit
02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I have Black Company also, it is sitting underneath GRRM and above Way of Kings. I need to find time to read my new stuff again. (see that is a joke, cuz this stuff isn't even NEW anymore)

Them damn babies! ;)

Fin
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
I am now about half way finished with Final Empire and already plan on buying Well of Ascension. I really like this book.

LadyFiona
02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
I have read some Mercedes Lackey, though mostly only books she co-wrote with another author. My husband has always told me he doesn't like her because he tried to read one of her books where the main characters were non-humans--cat people or some such.

The first trilogy she wrote with James Mallory, The Obsidian Trilogy, was quite good and I enjoyed it. The first book is "The Outstretched Shadow"

She also wrote a book with Andre Norton called "Elvenbane" that I loved so much I think I read it 3 times when I was a teenager until the book literally fell apart. I don't know if I would love it as much now...I'll have to try it again someday and find out. They wrote two more books after it, but they were spaced incredibly far apart, so much so that I had forgotten there were supposed to be more books after the first--as it is satisfying as a stand alone novel--and never got around to reading them.

I also read one of her fairy tale books, "Fairy Godmother". It was entertaining, but is definitely light reading, and heavy on the harlequin-ish romance.

Fin
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I finished Final Empire last night and picked up Well of Ascension today.

Figbiscuit
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
What did you think? I am staying away from BS's work until he's finished WoT, as I don't want to be swayed into wondering who wrote which bit (any more than it's already obvious), but I think I may pick it up after.

Fin
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Once you figure out a few key points in the series its much easier to follow the book. IMO it picks up right quick at Chapter 3.

Figbiscuit
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Cool, cheers :)