PDA

View Full Version : Most offensive title

Tomp
02-18-2012, 04:15 AM
What is the most offensive book title, that you can think of, if you remove or add one letter to it?

GonzoTheGreat
02-18-2012, 04:43 AM
I'm not sure, but I suspect that you could offend quite a lot of people if you leave out the second 'b' from "The Bible".

Tomp
02-18-2012, 05:00 AM
I'm not sure, but I suspect that you could offend quite a lot of people if you leave out the second 'b' from "The Bible".

Good one.

I reply with "The count of Monte Cristo"

Zombie Sammael
02-18-2012, 06:31 AM
In the same vein, The Great Hunt.

The Unreasoner
02-18-2012, 06:34 AM
In the same vein, The Great Hunt.

add or remove, not add and remove.

The Ugly Duckling

Terez
02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Men Who Love Men

The Unreasoner
02-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Men Who Love Men

I don't get it...what letter are you adding or removing? If you do both, I guess it could be 'Men Who Love Hen', but that's more silly than offensive.

ETA:
I guess gay-rights people would get offended if you add a 'd' in there...
'Men Who'd Love Men' or 'Men Who Loved Men'
implying homosexuality is a choice/is curable

GonzoTheGreat
02-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I think it would be clearest if you also indicate what change you suggest, as I did. Otherwise people would just be guessing, or they might not bother to guess and give up on it.

The Unreasoner
02-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I think it would be clearest if you also indicate what change you suggest, as I did. Otherwise people would just be guessing, or they might not bother to guess and give up on it.

The Ugly Fuckling.

I thought mine was pretty clear.
I put forward a few guesses on Terez's.

GonzoTheGreat
02-18-2012, 07:18 AM
But that one requires both an addition and a removal, while the OP asks for either one of those.

Terez
02-18-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't get it...what letter are you adding or removing? If you do both, I guess it could be 'Men Who Love Hen', but that's more silly than offensive.

ETA:
I guess gay-rights people would get offended if you add a 'd' in there...
'Men Who'd Love Men' or 'Men Who Loved Men'
implying homosexuality is a choice/is curableIt's an academic book, so the point is moot. Academic queer studies folks believe that homosexuality is a social construct, and that the whole "I was born this way" argument is misguided.

The Unreasoner
02-18-2012, 07:20 AM
But that one requires both an addition and a removal, while the OP asks for either one of those.

And after I torched Zombie's ass for doing the same thing...

I'm tired, cranky, and stupid. atm.

...I won't be tired forever.

Tomp
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
My suggestion in the third post is a removal of a letter.

Tomp
02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Here's another one

"Pass creek valley: A western duo"

(remove the P)

Lupusdeusest
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
In some circumstances, The Silver Chair, minus the C, could be considered offensive.

I don't think Chamber of Secretes quite works.

Zombie Sammael
02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
My apologies for focusing more on a humorous result than sticking stringently to the rules. I'll try to remember to check my sense of humour at the door in future. :p

ETA: For a moment I thought The Unreasoner said he touched my ass. With that and the whole Daddy thing, I dunno whether to be worried or flattered...

1Powerslave
02-18-2012, 11:33 AM
The Bible? THIS is serious:
Ey of the World
Eye of the Word

Kimon
02-18-2012, 02:23 PM
The Shadow Brising

Can one circumcise the shadow?

bowlwoman
02-18-2012, 02:47 PM
C[l]ock Repairing as a Hobby: An Illustrated How-To Guide for the Beginner

Frenzy
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
A (P)assage to India?
The (W)hole Nine Yards?

this isn't anywhere near as amusing as replacing quotes with "pants": "I find your lack of pants disturbing." --Darth Vader

Zombie Sammael
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
A Clockwork Orange
Lord of the Rings - although to be fair, this one's already filthy:

Sam came heavily on his hands

bowlwoman
02-18-2012, 03:16 PM
this isn't anywhere near as amusing as replacing quotes with "pants": "I find your lack of pants disturbing." --Darth Vader

At church when we were teenagers we'd go through the hymnal and append "between the sheets" to hymnal titles, much like "in bed" with fortune cookie fortunes. The Easter and Christmas hymns were the best.

"Christ the Lord is Risen Today"
"Christ Arose"
"I Serve a Risen Savior"
"Joy to the World! The Lord is come"
"Angels We Have Heard on High"
"Oh Come, All Ye Faithful"
"It Came upon a Midnight Clear"
"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"
"What Child is This?"

The Unreasoner
02-18-2012, 03:41 PM
It seems like it's pretty difficult to make a good one within the rules. It just seems like all-too-often it is just inserting a random curse word that doesn't necessarily create a funny new meaning.

Still wondering what Terez's was (or did I guess right?)

bowlwoman and Frenzy seem to be on the right track to raise the bar.

@Zombie
I originally called you puff daddy. (because R looks like P and s looks like the integral sign which kind of looks like a lowercase f). Somehow it shortened to just 'daddy' in my mind without thinking it at all creepy. My bad.

As for the ass touching...that one's on you. It's like a rorschach test. although I may have been responsible for setting the mood, lol.

'night Daddy...

Zombie Sammael
02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
A (P)assage to India?
The (W)hole Nine Yards?

My favourite variation on this is going through the Harry Potter book of your choice and replacing the word "wand" with "wang". It leads to such gems as "Ron's wang was still broken, so he had to borrow Hermione's."

It seems like it's pretty difficult to make a good one within the rules. It just seems like all-too-often it is just inserting a random curse word that doesn't necessarily create a funny new meaning.

Still wondering what Terez's was (or did I guess right?)

bowlwoman and Frenzy seem to be on the right track to raise the bar.

@Zombie
I originally called you puff daddy. (because R looks like P and s looks like the integral sign which kind of looks like a lowercase f). Somehow it shortened to just 'daddy' in my mind without thinking it at all creepy. My bad.

As for the ass touching...that one's on you. It's like a rorschach test. although I may have been responsible for setting the mood, lol.

'night Daddy...

When me and my friends decided to become Gangsta Rap Stars, my Rapper name was R Diddy. I was originally known as Puff Dady, but changed it for obvious reasons.