PDA

View Full Version : Happy Fat Tuesday!

Mort
02-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Today is Fat Tuesday, as we all know (? :) ) is the day before the fasting starts, or Lent. This is the day we overindulge!

Some call it Shrove Tuesday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday), others call it Pancake Day.

What is Fat Tuesday in french you say? Mardi Gras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras)!

How do you celebrate this important day? Here in Sweden, we celebrate by eathing these:

http://www.swea.org/webarchive/data_foreningar/barcelona/Semla.jpg

Called a Semla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla).

I think I would prefer doing it this way:

http://ride.myairporttrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/mardigras.jpg
:)

Ishara
02-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Finnish Pancakes for dinner!

Fin
02-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Aye Mardi Gras. I was at a parade saturday. I need to grab some king cake before they stop selling them.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Our area has a large Polish community...Fat Tuesday in these parts is allllll about the Paczki (pronounced sort of like Poooon-ch-key)

so yep, big day. Paczki Day! (http://www.absolutemichigan.com/dig/)

The Unreasoner
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I made a bunch of quiche lorraine last night...just took two out of the oven and ate almost half of one. the others to bring to work
and I have 2 more in the freezer.
double bacon, double cheese

yks 6nnetu hing
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Happy pea soup and pigs feet day!

Somehow that sounds less appetizing than the Rio carnival

Sarevok
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
The South half of the country celebrates like the 2nd picture.
The other half just goes to work. :(

pops taer
02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
So happy for Fat Tuesday cause the Lenton Catfish Fries start this Friday and end the last Friday of Lent. All you care to eat and all the trimmings. MMMMMM MMMMM GOOD!!!!!

yks 6nnetu hing
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM

And that is why the country's in a financially sound: consumerism AND work ethic

Terez
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I thought that was Amsterdam, but I wasn't sure. (It's not; I just noticed the signs are in English. But I don't know anywhere in New Orleans with buildings close together like that, though I'm sure there is somewhere. Or palm trees.) Most people around here get Fat Tuesday off, and schools typically get Monday and Tuesday off, or maybe even Monday-Wednesday. But I got bored with the celebrations years ago. I got my dad to take me to Bourbon Street when I was about 12 on Fat Tuesday at around 10pm, just to see what it was like. He and his brother (who was studying at New Orleans seminary) ended up talking to the crazy people who were in the middle of all that passing out tracts. We have all the parades and whatnot in MS, but they bore me.

Crispin's Crispian
02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought that was Amsterdam, but I wasn't sure. (It's not; I just noticed the signs are in English. But I don't know anywhere in New Orleans with buildings close together like that, though I'm sure there is somewhere. Or palm trees.) Most people around here get Fat Tuesday off, and schools typically get Monday and Tuesday off, or maybe even Monday-Wednesday. But I got bored with the celebrations years ago. I got my dad to take me to Bourbon Street when I was about 12 on Fat Tuesday at around 10pm, just to see what it was like. He and his brother (who was studying at New Orleans seminary) ended up talking to the crazy people who were in the middle of all that passing out tracts. We have all the parades and whatnot in MS, but they bore me.

I liked Fat Tuesday before it was cool.

Anyway, I totally forgot we had gumbo in the freezer. I pre-made some french toast casserole last night, so I guess I can sprinkle confectioners sugar on it and pretend it's beignets. :cool:

Khoram
02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I'll be eating pancakes and sausages to ight - it's what we do every year. What's good about this year is that my mom's making tge pancakes. What's bad: I won't be eating until 8 pm because of reffing. :(

Terez
02-21-2012, 03:02 PM
I liked Fat Tuesday before it was cool.
I'm not sure if I ever really liked it. Pretty early on in my life it became a Waffle House thing, because the biggest parades on the coast all go past a certain WH in Biloxi (3 of them on FT) and that WH pulls in more in one day than most WHs do in two weeks (about one week for that one). It's crazy, half-dressed drunk people all day long. (And all night too.) I started working there when I was 16, but my dad always had to be there on FT when I was a kid. He was the maintenance man, and if something went wrong they needed him there because you can't get a car within a mile of it once the festivities begin. Other maintenance men had to watch the rest of his stores on that day, cause he couldn't get out. My parents divorced around the time he began working there, and my mom would be down the street with her friends getting drunk, and dad would be at work, so I would generally go back and forth between the two.

Mort
02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Finnish Pancakes for dinner!

What is that? Do they look something like this?

http://www.recept.nu/polopoly_fs/1.133509.1315906456!image/313948565.jpg_gen/derivatives/w450/313948565.jpg

In that case they are about the same as swedish pancakes :)

Figbiscuit
02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

http://www.recept.nu/polopoly_fs/1.133509.1315906456!image/313948565.jpg_gen/derivatives/w450/313948565.jpg

And Fig's pancakes :D Which I eat with golden syrup and lemon juice. I used to also include sugar on that but even my sweet tooth can't handle that now. It's amazing the differences in my life which came about simply by turning 30 :rolleyes:

As for Lent, I'm not giving anything up. Last year I gave up all sweet stuff but that took me about a month to mentally prepare and this year it's kind of snuck up on me - I can't put myself through that kind of torture at such short notice. I might try give up about a stone in weight tho, that'd be good :D

Ishara
02-22-2012, 08:11 AM

LOL - I didn't start calling them that until last year, but yes. A *little* thicker than a crepe, and not your standard biscuit-y American pancake.

My family is all from Chile and that's how my grandfather made them and taught me to make them. It wasn't until I went on a business trip last year to Thunder Bay and was introduced to a hole-in-the-wall Finnish restaurant in the basement of a church that I found out they were considered to be Scandinavian. Go figure, LOL.

I eat mine with either plain honey, or a very thin layer of strawberry jam, roll them up and much away happily. Mmmmm.

Terez
02-22-2012, 08:14 AM
LOL - I didn't start calling them that until last year, but yes. A *little* thicker than a crepe, and not your standard biscuit-y American pancake.
Homemade American pancakes are a little more versatile than the restaurant kind. Those look really good. Needs maple syrup. (Honey is gross.)

Ishara
02-22-2012, 08:17 AM
They're just too thick and bread-y for my liking, they absorb liquid like maple syrup too quickly, until they all at once become soggy. Blech. And good honey is so lovely...mmmmm. But then, so is real maple syrup, which frankly is not cheap, so we go with honey.

Terez
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
And good honey is so lovely...mmmmm. But then, so is real maple syrup, which frankly is not cheap...
Even in Canada? :confused:

Ishara
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
LOL - Yeah, even in Canada. I'm not spending (a minumum of) $15 for the good stuff, when I can get fresh honey from the market in the same size for $8.

Besides which, this hasn't been a great year for maple syrup, and the prices will only go up. While bees are mysteriously disappearing, the beekeepers at the market still have their hives.

Khoram
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
We make our own maple syrup - from existing, real maple syrup, of course. :rolleyes: We just make it thinner and add brown sugar to it. This is, of course, after finishing most of the maple syrup.

Davian93
02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
LOL - Yeah, even in Canada. I'm not spending (a minumum of) $15 for the good stuff, when I can get fresh honey from the market in the same size for $8.

Besides which, this hasn't been a great year for maple syrup, and the prices will only go up. While bees are mysteriously disappearing, the beekeepers at the market still have their hives.

For VT, last spring was a record year for Maple syrup production...I take it, Canada didn't do so well?

And as they say, maple syrup is no cheaper here than it is anywhere else. The cheapest I've ever seen it is around $50 a gallon. The price goes up exponentially if you dont buy it in bulk but rather by the pint/quart.

Mort
02-22-2012, 11:21 AM

My family is all from Chile and that's how my grandfather made them and taught me to make them. It wasn't until I went on a business trip last year to Thunder Bay and was introduced to a hole-in-the-wall Finnish restaurant in the basement of a church that I found out they were considered to be Scandinavian. Go figure, LOL.

I eat mine with either plain honey, or a very thin layer of strawberry jam, roll them up and much away happily. Mmmmm.

Yeah you usually eat them with either strawberry or raspberry jam. Some add some sugar for more sweetness, at this point the line between a real meal and a dessert gets a little blurry :)

Funny unrelated thing: I have a swedish friend who's family is from Chile. Her name is the same as your. A very common first and surname? :)

Ishara
02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah you usually eat them with either strawberry or raspberry jam. Some add some sugar for more sweetness, at this point the line between a real meal and a dessert gets a little blurry :)

Funny unrelated thing: I have a swedish friend who's family is from Chile. Her name is the same as your. A very common first and surname? :)

LOL - random! Um, not really to the first, and pretty much to the second. I actually have a second cousin with the exact same name (minus middle) as well. She's younger, and my Mum was *pissed* for a long time. LOL.

Figbiscuit
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

This was a hot topic of conversation in the office this year - sweet or savoury pancakes. As a kid we always had them sweet (and still just as a meal in themselves), I never even knew you could have them savoury until a few years ago. Some of the popular fillings seemed to be: spinach and ricotta; bacon & eggs or to make a kind of enchilada type thing with spicy chicken or beef.

I appreciate pancake batter is basically exactly the same as used to make Yorkshire Puddings, which are traditionally served as a savoury accompaniment, but still, it seems odd to me.

Davian93
02-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Why can't it be both? I like both personally...and I make a wicked good Yorkshire pudding FWIW.

Terez
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I never had savory pancakes until I went to Amsterdam. Sare and Gonzo felt like I should eat some. :p

Ishara
02-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Savoury crepes are the best hangover cure if you're ever in Paris...

Fried egg, ham and cheese. Mmmmmm.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-23-2012, 01:45 AM

aww, those are my grandma's pancakes. Or mom's... though mom's pancakes' speciality was actually how we (me and siblings) would be as sneaky as possible and try and steal them HOT, while she was still baking them, with the jam dribbling everywhere, then run away squealing and laughing when she would pretend to notice us "just that little bit too late".

Terez
02-23-2012, 02:15 AM
aww, those are my grandma's pancakes. Or mom's... though mom's pancakes' speciality was actually how we (me and siblings) would be as sneaky as possible and try and steal them HOT, while she was still baking them, with the jam dribbling everywhere, then run away squealing and laughing when she would pretend to notice us "just that little bit too late".
That reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPklYj7gYLo).

Figbiscuit
02-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Why can't it be both? I like both personally...and I make a wicked good Yorkshire pudding FWIW.

I don't know...it just seems odd. Plus an awful lot of faff. You make the pancakes...then the filling...then put together...then cook again if required....yawn..

Or you could just make the pancakes, drizzle some syrup and lemon on them straight out of the pan, roll, and eat. Lush.

Figbiscuit
02-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Although these sound amazing. Note, I have no problem with savoury pancakes if someone else is making them :D

Ishara
02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
I also like to add shredded cheddar to my pancakes sometimes. Just that, roll them up and let them get a bit melty....mmmm. Way quicker than preparing a savoury filling.

Figbiscuit
02-23-2012, 08:46 AM
*wants more pancakes now*

Khoram
02-23-2012, 08:57 AM
If I had to think of a food that brings back memories of my childhood, it'd have to be my mom's pancakes. They aren't the crappy pre-mix that you buy at you grocery store - they're purely homemade. And they're awesome. Whether you eat them hot, or the next day cold, they always taste great. They aren't thin like crepes, nor are they thick like flapjacks. They're in between; so you can't roll them up - I classify anything you can roll as a crepe.

In fact, I might have some leftovers right from Tuesday right now. :D

Mort
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Mmm, crepes. Pancakes' delicious cousin. I like to make them with some chopped walnuts, goat cheese and drizzle some honey on there, roll em up, cook in the oven and then just indulge heaven.

Lupusdeusest
02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
I remember learning how to make pancakes on the Trangia (portable camping stove) when i was about 3 or so. We used to eat them with lemon juice. If we had someone else camping with us, we would have sugar too. It was a great change from porridge, which was our usual camping breakfast.

Ishara
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Mmm, crepes. Pancakes' delicious cousin. I like to make them with some chopped walnuts, goat cheese and drizzle some honey on there, roll em up, cook in the oven and then just indulge heaven.

Oh, all that's holy in heaven that sounds delicious...