PDA

View Full Version : Big News: Whelan to do AMOL cover

Terez
02-24-2012, 05:21 PM
So what's it about?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Terez27/Screenshot2012-02-24at43157PM.png

I'm guessing it's about cover art, since that would partly explain why they pushed the date back. They'd already asked Michael Whelan to do the ebook cover for AMOL. Whelan insists on reading the entire book, and has to have a year to complete the painting. That's why RJ decided to go with DKS. Anyway, I suppose it's possible that in this case Harriet decided that the extra time necessary to get Whelan was just more time to make sure AMOL was perfect. But we'll see on Monday.

Davian93
02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you have any examples of Whelan's art?

I'm not really up on my fantasy book cover artists to be honest.

Terez
02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
He did the cover of TWOK, but IMO it's not really one of his best. Not that I'm a huge fan or anything. Brandon is, though. :)

Here you go: http://www.glassonion.com/catalog/home.php

LadyFiona
02-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Oooh, Michael Whelan is awesome. Although, he is most know for his dragons, and WoT doesn't have any dragons in the flesh-and-blood scaly creature sense.

He did cover art for a series of Melanie Rawn books I read in middle school/Jr. high, and they were excellent. His website appears to be down for maintenance. Here is one of the Melanie Rawn covers, one of the best of the six, I think. http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4200000/Michael-Whelan-Dragons-dragons-4284182-730-805.jpg

Also, this isn't a scene from the book (that we know of, anyways) but this picture is AMAZING, and I could definitely imagine it as cover art, though I suspect it might be all digital, instead of an actual painting.
http://dem888.deviantart.com/art/Tarmon-Gaidon-188536200

Terez
02-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Oooh, Michael Whelan is awesome. Although, he is most know for his dragons, and WoT doesn't have any dragons in the flesh-and-blood scaly creature sense.
He could probably do a pretty badass version of fist-pumping Rand and his arms, though. And the banner, which is supposed be really fancy. It's possible that Whelan will do a tribute to DKS by using his sketch as a model and somewhat blending styles. Some artists enjoy doing that sort of thing. But it's possible he will do something entirely different.

He did cover art for a series of Melanie Rawn books I read in middle school/Jr. high, and they were excellent.That might be where Brandon picked up his Whelan fanboyism, since Rawn was one of his first fantasy loves.

Terez
02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
lol, I just noticed that Irene Gallo is the art director for Tor Books. I didn't know that. And here I thought I was smart!

PS, a quote

Interview: Nov 14th, 1998
TPOD Signing Report - Matthew Hunter (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/../intvmain.php?i=97) (Paraphrased)

Someone asked how he chose the cover artist, and we got a nice long spiel with some previously unknown information. Jordan and his wife went through bookstores picking out books based on their (if they liked it) cover art and finding out who did the cover. It came down to two artists, Darrell K. Sweet and Michael Whelan. The deciding factor was that Whelan wants the manuscript to read for a year before he will deliver a cover, and they just couldn't wait that long.

They are apparently considering a later reissue of the entire series with different covers, perhaps by Whelan, once it is complete.

LadyFiona
02-25-2012, 12:35 AM
This article/blog post on Tor.com, written by Brandon, describes his introduction to Michael Whelan and how it literally changed his life. Everyone should read it. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/03/michael-whelan-an-apreciation

Although, I was never a reluctant reader, I too, hated the stories of boys in the woods with dogs. I think Dragon Prince (Melanie Rawn) was my first Whelan, and then, like Brandon, I was sucked into to The Dragonbone Chair, by Tad Williams. The 3rd book in the Tad Williams trilogy, To Green Angel Tower, has an absolutely breathtaking cover. It's magnificent. I literally got chills reading that blog post because I had so many of the same experiences, except, you know, for becoming a successful author and getting my own Whelan cover...YET :)

Terez
02-25-2012, 01:25 AM
This article/blog post on Tor.com, written by Brandon, describes his introduction to Michael Whelan and how it literally changed his life. Everyone should read it. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/03/michael-whelan-an-apreciation
I added that to the interview database. Thanks! I've seen it before, but trying to keep up with Brandon is somewhat overwhelming.

sleepinghour
02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
I just noticed that a WoT poster featuring one of the ebook covers ended up going for $135 at the Con or Bust charity auction (http://con-or-bust.livejournal.com/97959.html), with lots of people (including HCFFs :D) bidding in the comments. Since there seems to be a huge demand for those posters, Tor would be crazy not to produce more of them and sell to fans. If the big announcement isn't about the AMoL cover art, that would be my second guess.

Terez
02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't doubt they'll do something like that. But this seems to be something bigger. Hoping we will find out within a few hours. It would be lame if they waited till the end of the day to announce it. :(

sleepinghour
02-27-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't doubt they'll do something like that. But this seems to be something bigger. Hoping we will find out within a few hours. It would be lame if they waited till the end of the day to announce it. :(
Yeah, the wait is killing me. :D I wonder if this announcement was planned or they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.

Terez
02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Although, I was never a reluctant reader, I too, hated the stories of boys in the woods with dogs.
So is this like...Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? I cried when I read those books, but I liked them more than other books we were expected to read as kids. I think sometimes that they make kids read those books to introduce them to the concept of death.

My introduction to fantasy was C.S. Lewis, and L'Engle was my introduction to science-fiction. :) I think I read Tolkien next, and after that I got into Rice and King and other mainstreamers—RJ calls them (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=114#6) the magic realists.

Terez
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah, the wait is killing me. :D I wonder if this announcement was planned or they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.
If it's about Whelan, I'm sure it was planned, and that they announced the release date first in order to separate the decision from Whelan so that we wouldn't have crazy fans suggesting they should find someone else who can do it quicker. So really, it's both. They give us a week to get the angst out of our systems about the release date, and then throw us a bone that actually probably had quite a bit to do with the release date decision.

WinespringBrother
02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I just noticed that a WoT poster featuring one of the ebook covers ended up going for $135 at the
Con or Bust charity auction (http://con-or-bust.livejournal.com/97959.html), with lots of people (including HCFFs :D) bidding in the comments. Since there seems to be a huge demand for those posters, Tor would be crazy not to produce more of them and sell to fans. If the big announcement isn't about the AMoL cover art, that would be my second guess.

That would be me with my google + avatar :D ... the bidding got a bit rich for me, however. I already won 2 of the covers at the silent auctions at JordanCon, anyway (for TFOH and TofM) and will probably bid on another one this year.

Lupusdeusest
02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I give up. I'm going to bed.

Terez
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
I was right. (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/a-memory-of-light-cover-by-michael-whelan#)

Lupusdeusest
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Precisely 2 minutes after I gave up and went to bed.
Typical.

LadyFiona
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
So is this like...Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows? I cried when I read those books, but I liked them more than other books we were expected to read as kids. I think sometimes that they make kids read those books to introduce them to the concept of death.

I don't know about Old Yeller, I was thinking more like Call of the Wild, but yeah pretty much. I tried to read Where the Red Fern Grows and couldn't do it. Most kids my age were reading stuff like The Orphan Train and Scott O'Dell books, and I was just not interested in them at all.

My introduction to fantasy was C.S. Lewis, and L'Engle was my introduction to science-fiction. :) I think I read Tolkien next, and after that I got into Rice and King and other mainstreamers—RJ calls them (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=114#6) the magic realists.

That's...weird, me too! I devoured the Chronicles of Narnia the first half of 4th grade. We moved afterwards and my dad found his old copies of The Hobbit and LoTR when we were unpacking and gave them to me. I tried to start with LoTR but couldn't do it, so I set them aside for a little while, then decided to start with The Hobbit. I read it during the 2nd half of 4th grade, then went on to LoTR in 5th grade. My Sunday School teacher gave me A Wrinkle In Time for a Christmas gift in 5th grade, so I was fully indoctrinated in fantasy/sci-fi before I left grade school :) I had a hard time reading your normal YA books after that (we didn't have Harry Potter then!) I made the jump to modern adult fantasy with David Eddings (Go Sparhawk!)

I'm super excited that Whelan is doing the cover art. I can't wait to see it.

The Unreasoner
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, the wait is killing me. :D I wonder if this announcement was planned or if they decided to throw the fans a bone to pacify people whining about the release date.
Yeah...'big' is pretty generous, but: their word, not ours.

As a general rule, most stuff is just noise. I certainly didn't expect anything.

Terez
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Unreasoner, stop being a troll.

That's...weird, me too! I devoured the Chronicles of Narnia the first half of 4th grade. We moved afterwards and my dad found his old copies of The Hobbit and LoTR when we were unpacking and gave them to me. I tried to start with LoTR but couldn't do it, so I set them aside for a little while, then decided to start with The Hobbit. I read it during the 2nd half of 4th grade, then went on to LoTR in 5th grade. My Sunday School teacher gave me A Wrinkle In Time for a Christmas gift in 5th grade, so I was fully indoctrinated in fantasy/sci-fi before I left grade school :) I had a hard time reading your normal YA books after that (we didn't have Harry Potter then!) I made the jump to modern adult fantasy with David Eddings (Go Sparhawk!)
haha, Eddings was also my first modern adult fantasy. I went from Eddings to Goodkind to WoT. I don't think there was anything else in between, except for Feist, who I found dusty. (Yes, I liked Goodkind more than Feist.) I read the first 4 books in the Magician series and then gave up. A friend of mine from work was lending me all those books, and if I liked the series I bought the books. He actually gave me a copy of Winter's Heart in hardback because his daughter (read: ex-wife) had bought him one for Christmas, and he already had it.

LadyFiona
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM

haha, Eddings was also my first modern adult fantasy. I went from Eddings to Goodkind to WoT. I don't think there was anything else in between, except for Feist, who I found dusty. (Yes, I liked Goodkind more than Feist.)

I went Eddings > Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince/Dragon Star > Weiss & Hickman's Death Gate Cycle > Tad Williams' Memory, Sorry, & Thorn > WoT...I think, with some possible overlap waiting for book releases. This was all in middle school/Jr. high. I tried one Feist book my freshman year of high school. It was the only one I ever read. I read the first 3 of Goodkind's books in high school also. I think the fact that I was already well into WoT prevented me from getting as much into Goodkind as I might otherwise have. Some of what Goodkind did seemed like a pale, more twisted imitation. I think there were only 4 WoT books out when I picked up TEoTW when I was in 8th grade at our little Waldenbooks in the sorry excuse for a mall we had in Alpena, MI. I probably would have started reading them sooner if they'd had Michael Whelan cover art :D

The Unreasoner
02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
You know how it goes...
Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim.

But this was a serious point. Nowadays, with facebook, twitter, 24 hour news networks...there is more 'stuff' available than ever. But people really have lost all sense of discretion. I recently wrote about this to an e-mail group of my old CUNY friends, so maybe I came in with that mindset.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I didn't know who he was before, but I've seen and liked a lot of those covers. The cover for The Snow Queen was the only thing that made me keep that book for as long as I did. Do we know if he's going to try for something similar to Sweet's old covers? It'll be a little weird to have one book out of fifteen with a dramatically different cover.

Terez
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
They seem to be leaning toward artistic freedom, and not putting any kind of restraints on him.

Zombie Sammael
02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
I didn't know who he was before, but I've seen and liked a lot of those covers. The cover for The Snow Queen was the only thing that made me keep that book for as long as I did. Do we know if he's going to try for something similar to Sweet's old covers? It'll be a little weird to have one book out of fifteen with a dramatically different cover.

I agree. It'd be almost like getting someone else instead of the author to finish the series... oh wait.

It does seem oddly fitting when you think of it that way.

LadyFiona
02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I agree. It'd be almost like getting someone else instead of the author to finish the series... oh wait.

This made me laugh :)

It is the final book in a supremely epic series, it should have supremely epic cover art.

I don't think anyone would try to argue that the previous covers, while not bad, were "supremely epic"

Ishara
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
DUDE. EotW and CoS are both supremely epic. LOL I for one love to judge books by their covers, and tEotW was the one that sucked me IN, so clearly he was doing something right! CoS is just great with the biceps and the giant hole in the ground...LOL.

Davian93
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
DUDE. EotW and CoS are both supremely epic. LOL I for one love to judge books by their covers, and tEotW was the one that sucked me, so clearly he was doing something right! CoS is just great with the biceps and the giant hole in the ground...LOL.

I also loved the EotW cover...though I am sad to say it didnt suck me.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
The Path of Daggers cover is great. Crossroads of Twilight, too.

Terez
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Agreed on the former, meh on the latter. TPOD was great mostly because of the wrap-around with the statue on the back.

Terez
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
So...does anyone have a guess as to WTF this is supposed to represent?

http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/modules/public/images/livres/livres-l-il-du-monde-160-2.jpg

Zombie Sammael
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/modules/public/images/livres/livres-l-il-du-monde-160-2.jpg

Well, uh... I'd say it's ummm.... yeah, that's definitely French!

Terez
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
It occurs to me that it's kind of a weird interpretation of the Wheel/Spears thing. Like, the Aiel chapter icon combined with the seven-spoke'd Wheel. Or something.

PS—If it helps, it's The Eye of the World Part II: The Invasion of Darkness.

Zombie Sammael
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
It occurs to me that it's kind of a weird interpretation of the Wheel/Spears thing. Like, the Aiel chapter icon combined with the seven-spoke'd Wheel. Or something.

I think you're looking for a connection where there is none.

sleepinghour
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Most likely it depicts the "Ba'alzamon tortures Rand and Mat with nightmares of giant pointy wooden dildos" scene which for unknown reasons was censored from the US edition of WoT (but not the French, of course).

Which is still not nearly as risqué as the scene where Rand...does something...to what looks like a giant eye in the sky.

http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/modules/public/images/livres/livres-l-invasion-des-tenebres-160-1.jpg

Now let's never complain about Sweet again.

Lupusdeusest
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
It's bringing the fanartist's obsession with Shirtless Rand to a whole new level.

eht slat meit
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

That's actually a cool cover if you can get past the nudity - it looks like a story-specific artist's rendition of the Vetruvian Man, reversed (minus the randy bits) combined with the added dimension of (atomic) power. I can't place a connection to the landscape, but there's something about that too.

LadyFiona
02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Which is still not nearly as risqué as the scene where Rand...does something...to what looks like a giant eye in the sky.

http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/modules/public/images/livres/livres-l-invasion-des-tenebres-160-1.jpg

o.O

What is this...I don't even...

Agreed.

I never really had a beef with DKS, unlike some people who mercilessly bash him. I mean, it was enticing enough to get me to pick the book up and think "Hmm, that looks interesting..."

If the US version of tEoTW had a cover like that one above, I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole.

I just never had the feeling that he read the whole book (in tEotW one or two of the boys are wearing pointy robin hood hats with feathers in them, among other problems), and the characters' facial expressions always seem bored. He's not a bad artist, I just don't think he goes the extra mile to make them as accurate as possible.

eht slat meit
02-28-2012, 08:27 PM

The Fall of Icarus, as painted by Rubens?

There's a certain symmetry to it, if the man depicted is supposed to be LTT.

Kimon
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Both of these covers seem more fitting for Sci-Fi than for Fantasy. This one looks like the artist decided to turn the wheel into a battlestar, with a second battlestar-wheel strangely in the background falling apart. I'd almost hazard that perhaps those things were supposed to be seals, and one in the background then is a broken seal, with the DO's taint oozing out of the seal?

LadyFiona
02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Both of these covers seem more fitting for Sci-Fi than for Fantasy.

That was my first thought as well. They wouldn't be bad at all as sci-fi covers. Maybe publishers/artists in France don't distinguish between the two? I thought it kind of looked like a pod racer engine. Maybe it's supposed to be from one of the dreams where they are running around a bizarre landscape with impossible architecture.

eht slat meit
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Both of these covers seem more fitting for Sci-Fi than for Fantasy. This one looks like the artist decided to turn the wheel into a battlestar, with a second battlestar-wheel strangely in the background falling apart. I'd almost hazard that perhaps those things were supposed to be seals, and one in the background then is a broken seal, with the DO's taint oozing out of the seal?

True enough, though often the line between sci-fi and fantasy is blurred, like in the AoL, where there seems to be a correlation between highly developed op usage and highly developed tech.

I'd venture to guess that the covers are meant to be entirely symbolic - the turning of the Wheel, disintegrating society from what it was, to what it is, and in the process, bringing madness.

LadyFiona
02-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Symbolic? Probably.

Wheel? Eh...not so sure. The base of it is round, but it looks more like the broken off top of a cathedral or other gothic building than anything else I can think of.

eht slat meit
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Symbolic? Probably.

Wheel? Eh...not so sure. The base of it is round, but it looks more like the broken off top of a cathedral or other gothic building than anything else I can think of.

Cathedrals and other buildings can be exceptionally beautiful in the prime of their construction. That's an accurate portrayal what the modern age of Randland is, I'd say... the once beautiful Age of Legends, gone to ruin, with only a few remnants and wonders of what was, left behind.

Lupusdeusest
02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
I'd venture to guess that the covers are meant to be entirely symbolic - the turning of the Wheel, disintegrating society from what it was, to what it is, and in the process, bringing madness.

Of what is the other symbolic? :p

eht slat meit
02-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Of what is the other symbolic? :p

Already mentioned, I think, but I'd say that's the artist's rendition of the Vitruvian Man, with the added dimension of the (atomic) Power at what might be OP Ground Zero.

In other words Rand bathed in the power, preparing to take on the DO, the land around him bathed in the fallout of that power.

Lupusdeusest
02-29-2012, 01:02 AM
In other words Rand bathed in the power, preparing to take on the DO, the land around him bathed in the fallout of that power.

Is being bathed in the Power anything like being bathed in the Light?

eht slat meit
02-29-2012, 01:44 AM
Is being bathed in the Power anything like being bathed in the Light?

*clad in the Light?

Not just for female Aes Sedai anymore, I guess.

Lupusdeusest
02-29-2012, 03:36 AM
*clad in the Light?

Not just for female Aes Sedai anymore, I guess.

Dithered between "clad" and "bathed"... makes you wonder as to the difference. Clad seems like you are just sort of naked and it's not too important, bathed sounds like you're reveling in your nudity.

(Apologies about the inanity of recent posts; I was apparently stressed enough for my pills to stop working 3 weeks ago, so I am in a puddle of hormones, eating licorice, and watching cheesy movies (hello, "Salaam Namaste"...). I will be fluffy for a few more days yet. (I'M SO FLUFFY.))