PDA

View Full Version : Spambot protection:

The Unreasoner
02-28-2012, 04:51 AM
there are tons of spambots on TL. I have an idea that may cut that down somewhat...

A simple, ten-question quiz on WoT. You only need 50% to pass. But you need to pass to register.

If nothing else, coming up with lists of questions should be entertaining.

Here's mine:

Who killed Asmodean? (Bela, Demandred, Rand, fuck if I know/none of the above)
What is Narg? (an overused joke, a WoT character, a WoT place) two possible answers here
Where is Demandred? (this one's short answer, anything's acceptable but Murandy)
Kin Tovere>Gareth Bryne (true, false)
What is the name of the last WoT book you read? (anything, as long as it really is one)
What is The Dusty Wheel? (a bar, a secret society of Caemlyn intelligentsia, Theoryland, Demandred's hideout) anything goes
Name two of the Forsaken
Egwene (love her!, hate her!, christ not this again, who?, Demandred's hideout) anything but the last two
What is Theoryland's definition of 'troll'? this one must be left blank
Fill in the blank: The Dr_g_n Re_or_

yks 6nnetu hing
02-28-2012, 05:37 AM
why is this here?

FYI, we already have a spambot protection. Those few that get past anyways are taken care of by the mods. if the mods can't access the botposts, Nae'blis is notified. Trust me, you're only seeing a fraction of bot action.

The Unreasoner
02-28-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm bored, depressed, and alone at the moment. I got overly irritated by a spambot and tried to cheer myself up with a humorous mock solution to spambots.

It didn't work. So delete at will, if you wish.

yks 6nnetu hing
02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm bored, depressed, and alone at the moment. I got overly irritated by a spambot and tried to cheer myself up with a humorous mock solution to spambots.

It didn't work. So delete at will, if you wish.

This being one of the fora that need Nae'blis intervention, I can't. So just... stop spamming everywhere. put your jokes (I did think it was amusing, just somewhat wrongly placed) on the Non board or something?

Ishara
02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Agreed. Save your boredom, depression and loneliness for the Non-Board, where it belongs.

Terez
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
In case it's not clear, this thread was moved to a more appropriate location. Spam away...

The Unreasoner
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
In case it's not clear, this thread was moved to a more appropriate location. Spam away...
Many thanks.

but imagine my horror when I realized I became the very evil I sought to destroy...

yks 6nnetu hing
02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Agreed. Save your boredom, depression and loneliness for the Non-Board, where it belongs.

...along with everybody else's boredom, depression and loneliness. At least on Non they can throw a party together...

Khoram
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
...along with everybody else's boredom, depression and loneliness. At least on Non they can throw a party together...

A party of boredom, depression and loneliness? Sounds counterproductive. :/

yks 6nnetu hing
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM

to the party or loneliness and depression?

Zombie Sammael
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Over here we call it "The Conservative Party".

BOOM!

Khoram
02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
to the party or loneliness and depression?

c) All of the above. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM
That's why god invented booze.

Ishara
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM

On the ESC Couch! Pull up a chair, Unreasoner. All the good seats are taken, but no reason you can't join us. Just watch out, Ivhon drools occassionally.

SauceyBlueConfetti
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
What is Theoryland's definition of 'troll'? this one must be left blank

we need a smiley for snorting laughter, cuz this caused it :D

Figbiscuit
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Over here we call it "The Conservative Party".

BOOM!

*high five* :D

*pours wine*

*joins party*

Terez
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Many thanks.

but imagine my horror when I realized I became the very evil I sought to destroy...
To be fair, it was more trolling than spamming. I mean, come on. What kind of noob would post stupid crap in the Theoryland News forum for chrissake?

The Unreasoner
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
To be fair, it was more trolling than spamming. I mean, come on. What kind of noob would post stupid crap in the Theoryland News forum for chrissake?
Well, not to defend the indefensible, but

Theoryland News and Stuff (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)

seemed sufficiently vague to me. But sure, Non-WoT. Love Non-WoT. I am thrilled that my thread is welcome here. Fittingly, as it seems this thread seems to have some of the very essence of Non-WoT (I certainly lost track).

Does anyone want to, idk, post a questions list instead of talk about misery loving company? Not that I'm not laughing it up here as it is.

Terez
02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, not to defend the indefensible, but

Theoryland News and Stuff (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5)

seemed sufficiently vague to me.
That is because you are a troll. You saw it not in terms of logic, but in terms of doing something to piss people off. The very definition of trolling, despite your pretense of confusion.

Lupusdeusest
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
That is because you are a troll. You saw it not in terms of logic, but in terms of doing something to piss people off. The very definition of trolling, despite your pretense of confusion.

I don't know - the first time I ever braved posting something that was not simply a reply I went in there originally because of the "and stuff".

Verin Mathwin
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I've been here for like 8 years and I didn't even know there was a Theoryland News and Stuff board...

GonzoTheGreat
02-29-2012, 03:18 AM
I've been here for like 8 years and I didn't even know there was a Theoryland News and Stuff board...
So it was news to you?
That proves that it works. Truth in advertising, and all that.

However, I must admit that I'm starting to get a bit curious now about the logical nature of "stuff". And, perhaps more relevant, what kind of things it would not be logical at all to classify as "stuff".

Lupusdeusest
02-29-2012, 03:37 AM
When does something stop being a "thing" and instead qualify as "stuff"? That sort of thing/stuff?

Yes, there is a sort of plural nature to "stuff"... but when does that enter into it? When do "things" become "stuff"?

The Unreasoner
02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
If I am guilty of feigning anything, it’s remorse. But I’m not. I am sorry, if not very.

Frankly, the reaction of others was far from my mind. So I’m inconsiderate too. And I never would have thought posting a thread in the wrong category would be enough to ‘piss people off’. If that was my goal, I’d probably be far more blunt and extreme.

In any case: I’m over my bout of homesickness, and my girlfriend is back from visiting her sociopathic mother. Still having trouble sleeping, but oh well. And:

So it was news to you?
That proves that it works. Truth in advertising, and all that.

However, I must admit that I'm starting to get a bit curious now about the logical nature of "stuff". And, perhaps more relevant, what kind of things it would not be logical at all to classify as "stuff".

When does something stop being a "thing" and instead qualify as "stuff"? That sort of thing/stuff?

Yes, there is a sort of plural nature to "stuff"... but when does that enter into it? When do "things" become "stuff"?
…this thread has become quite entertaining, so au revoir boredom.

Although…while I would love to debate Things v. Stuff (Things FTW!)…
Does no one have a list? I thought this would be fun. I think we did something like this before (and in the Welcome forum, of all places. We used to be able to get away with murder). Felix started it off, iirc. I’ll look for a link.

GonzoTheGreat
02-29-2012, 07:39 AM
(Things FTW!)…
Thing it!

And if you're having trouble figuring that one out, then you can consider that proof that stuff is superior.

The Unreasoner
02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
'Things' is discrete, 'stuff' is continuous.

As for 'Thing it!'...A Bing pun?

yks 6nnetu hing
02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I never would have thought posting a thread in the wrong category would be enough to ‘piss people off’. If that was my goal, I’d probably be far more blunt and extreme.
I'm crotchety about putting things in the right categories. I get annoyed when people post fanfic in anywhere other than the fanfic forum. I don't like it when non-wot discussion takes over in the WoT-forum and I get a twitch when somebody posts 6 new threads, each with a different amusing anecdote within 4 minutes of each other.

Occupational habit, I guess.

Lupusdeusest
02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Thing it!

And if you're having trouble figuring that one out, then you can consider that proof that stuff is superior.

To play devil's advocate, I'd prefer an object of unknown name to not be airless.

tworiverswoman
02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm crotchety about putting things in the right categories. I get annoyed when people post fanfic in anywhere other than the fanfic forum. I don't like it when non-wot discussion takes over in the WoT-forum and I get a twitch when somebody posts 6 new threads, each with a different amusing anecdote within 4 minutes of each other.

Occupational habit, I guess.I find I can't remember your occupation and can't BEGIN to figure it out from the clues above.

And Unreasoner, I find your list of possible questions pretty funny, actually. :)

yks 6nnetu hing
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I find I can't remember your occupation and can't BEGIN to figure it out from the clues above.

And Unreasoner, I find your list of possible questions pretty funny, actually. :)

By education historian, but working in an office. The last 3 months i've been trying to develop a functioning filing/archiving/reference system for my project while lots of people dislike any change at all from the current maelstrom of inefficiency. Just on principle.

Davian93
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
By education historian, but working in an office. The last 3 months i've been trying to develop a functioning filing/archiving/reference system for my project while lots of people dislike any change at all from the current maelstrom of inefficiency. Just on principle.

Did you ever look at Sharepoint? Personally, I think its awesome for that type of shared filing.

Zaela Sedai
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Did you ever look at Sharepoint? Personally, I think its awesome for that type of shared filing.

My life revolves around SharePoints ... oft times way too many of them.

But used correctly, a VERY useful form of sharing anything in the office world.

yks 6nnetu hing
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM

My life revolves around SharePoints ... oft times way too many of them.

But used correctly, a VERY useful form of sharing anything in the office world.

We have a version of it, however it was set up (a couple of months before I got this job) with a lot of redundancy and there's very little visibility in what people actually do. So I made some spreadsheets to see who's using what and where, and then I made a new setup to consolidate the whole thing into more logical, concise and yet flexible system... but people dislike change.

whatever. They'll do what I want eventually. I'm very good at wearing people down. It may take some more time though.

Rand al'Fain
03-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I think the Unreasoner unknowingly figured out Demandred's location though! He's inside Egwene, which would account for treating Gawyn like crap!

Anaiya Sedai
03-01-2012, 06:48 AM
You lot are fab.

Misery certainly does love company.

<plops down in her spot on the ESC>

The Unreasoner
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Thank you.
To play devil's advocate, I'd prefer an object of unknown name to not be airless.
Uhh...care to explain to those of us in the intellectual nosebleed section?

And:
Does no one have a list? I thought this would be fun. I think we did something like this before (and in the Welcome forum, of all places. We used to be able to get away with murder). Felix started it off, iirc. I’ll look for a link.
Here. (http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=159945#post159945)