PDA

View Full Version : Traits and Attributes - customizing your GW2 character

WinespringBrother
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-way-jon-peters-on-traits-and-attributes

Great article that details the specific traits by category for each profession and how they synergize.

czymann
02-28-2012, 04:17 PM
That is very cool. Even more ways to make your character feel and play more unique.

Sarevok
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
So... trait points can't be respecced on the fly... there's bound to be some ranting over that on the Guru forums.

Can't say I'm too big a fan of that either, actually. :|

czymann
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
So... trait points can't be respecced on the fly... there's bound to be some ranting over that on the Guru forums.

Can't say I'm too big a fan of that either, actually. :|

Yea it is starting to heat up on the forums. I am not too keen about this either. Before they said we could respec our traits at any time outside combat. This is a total reversal on this. And so far this is a huge let down. I am really tired right now and gonna check the guru forums later and see whats going on and then I will throw my 2 cents in.

ShadowbaneX
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
This sounds awesome, the traits themselves that is. I would have prefered a more GW1-style for respec'ing. It was nice to be able to switch characters whenever you were in town. Having to wait to find a place and spend coin to respec...yeah, I'm not to keen on that.

czymann
02-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I love what Arenanet is trying to accomplish and I love GW2 but I will not be a blind fanboi about it. I have been posting on the guru forums about what I am not liking about this system and those irritating fanbois are not even bothering to try to understand my side or anyone elses side.

Lack of flexibility when once we would have had it. That is my beef about it. I am not sure if I care that it costs, but I am more about how it is a needless time sink. We already have to go to town to repair armor but now to respec as well? Why?

I am waiting for a Dev to step in and explain why they changed it from you can swap out your traits at any time outside of combat to you have to go to town and talk to a NPC and then pay to respec and then do that each and every time you want to respec? Needless grind time sink.

czymann
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Someone on guru posted this observation. Apparently it shows this in some of the WvW videos.

Remember, you can still swap traits on the fly out of combat. You just can't redistribute the trait points. Considering how much that affects your stats, it makes sense.

If this is the case then I would feel much better about it. You would still be able to experiment with different builds to find what you are most comfortable with.

Sarevok
02-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Someone on guru posted this observation. Apparently it shows this in some of the WvW videos.

If this is the case then I would feel much better about it. You would still be able to experiment with different builds to find what you are most comfortable with.

Yeah, that's correct from what I've read. But what I don't like:
Either having the "wrong traits" active won't be a big problem, in which I wonder how much effect they actually have... and in that case, why have them at all? :confused:

Or: They do have a large enough effect, in which case you could find yourself in a situation where the ad-hoc group you find yourself in turns out to be full of characters specced for damage and no support or vice-versa. In that case, how does that work with Anet's claim that you can easily swap things around? :confused:

Edit: Someone on the Guru forum posted this:
Second, you have a quick travel system in place and with it you can pretty much instantenously travel to your trainer -> Respec -> instant travel back.
That's a good point that I previously forgot. There's probably a waypoint within a minute of where you met your group. Must say that changes my opinion. :)

czymann
02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, that's correct from what I've read. But what I don't like:
Either having the "wrong traits" active won't be a big problem, in which I wonder how much effect they actually have... and in that case, why have them at all? :confused:

Or: They do have a large enough effect, in which case you could find yourself in a situation where the ad-hoc group you find yourself in turns out to be full of characters specced for damage and no support or vice-versa. In that case, how does that work with Anet's claim that you can easily swap things around? :confused:

Yea. It is obvious they changed that idea of switching around traits for your build while outside of combat. Why exactly? Not sure. The blog says to give your character a more permanence feeling to it. I am just waiting for an update from a Dev.

Sarevok
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Very good counter argument here:
I am not bothered by the fee for respec as it will discourage people from stopping in the middle of a dungeon or a dynamic event and spending the next half hour respeccing while you twiddle your thumbs - it will encourage planning ahead.

Yes, I'm slowly reading the Guru thread at work. :p

Light Ranger
02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
That's 90+ pages that I'd rather not read. :rolleyes:

Sarevok
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
That's 90+ pages that I'd rather not read. :rolleyes:

yeah, I only read 11 pages before I went home. :)

Mostly ranting, but some interesting thoughts, as I posted. :)