PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Man on Earth

Brita
08-17-2008, 10:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/trackandfield/news/story?id=3538279

The first line says it all- Imagine if he really tried. Simply amazing! He made it look easy.

irerancincpkc
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, when I saw Bolt flailing his arms around, I wanted to yell at the guy. He could have gotten a 9.55, 9.58 easily, I think, if he had remained focused.

Brita
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Ya- it seemed a little childish- I'm sure he has heard it all now. Maybe next time he'll stay focused and shatter the record.

But it does make the story a little more interesting- how he can prance across the finish line beating his chest and waving his arms and still break the record. It will make the moment more memorable to be sure.

Zaela Sedai
08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
He's young, and I'm sure its the excitement. As he said after the race, all he cared about was getting the gold for Jamaica, not world records...I'm sure he'll break it soon, lol. Lets see what he does in the 200

Brita
08-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Lets see what he does in the 200

Indeed.

irerancincpkc
08-18-2008, 06:13 AM
How about the Jamacian woman, sweeping their 100...

Davian93
08-18-2008, 07:06 AM
I remember watching the race and being seriously pissed off that he pulled up. I thought maybe he pulled something at first when I was watching it live and then when I realized he hadn't I was like "Well that was stupid...always run through the tape..."

Yuri33
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
He's only 21, and I believe this is only his 2nd international meet. I get the feeling this guy is trying to give himself a longer career. He'll just keep breaking his own record meet after meet to keep his popularity up. It's like that guy who owned the pole vault record and ended up breaking it like 13 times over the course of his career.

Beijing is likely the biggest stage he'll ever get, and who knows where his body will be 4 years from now. He should have gone 110% the whole way and let the record stand for the next 50+ years.

Also, the track and field portion of the Olympics is just getting started, but it seems like there won't be many new records broken. I get suspicious when one guy so easily smashes a record and it ends up being virtually the only one broken. Swimming was different--20 records were broken, which makes it seem more legit. The new suits and the state of the art pool are probably contributing. I just hope Bolt is not another Ben Johnson.

tanaww
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Huh... this is about track. I saw the title and thought "COOL! Tony Schumacher!"

Sorry... have been in grad school orientation all day. It's making me punchy.

Davian93
08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
So on the pool thing...can someone explain why the pool is so much faster? I've heard that several times that its a "fast" pool. What in the world does that mean?

Zaela Sedai
08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Its 9ft deep instead of 6ft,(I believe thats the difference in depth) so it reduces drag, also the lane dividers they used were made not to cause any water resistance or some such. Add that with these new Nasa designed suits and WRs get smashed, lol.

Davian93
08-20-2008, 10:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/trackandfield/news/story?id=3544110

This time he didn't pull up...and he crushed the field accordingly.

Brita
08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Woowee! Amazing.

Realnow
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Insane Bolt is sort of a cocky asshole though eh?

Not like Michael Super-Aqua-Dolphin-Man Phelps ^^

Ivhon
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
So on the pool thing...can someone explain why the pool is so much faster? I've heard that several times that its a "fast" pool. What in the world does that mean?

Lots of things go into a "fast" pool. As Zae said, any good pool is going to be at least 9 feet deep (partly this is so that water polo players can't touch bottom), as there is less turbulence in deeper water. Lane line design has also improved, Im sure - although I can't imagine how. The gutter system is also very important in reducing turbulence. Water temperature plays a role as well (I think competition temperature is 78 degrees F, but I could be misremembering). Last but not least, a good underwater PA system with disc 3 of the Zeppelin box set cranking out is absolutely essential. At least for workout purposes.

Brita
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Insane Bolt is sort of a cocky asshole though eh?

Not like Michael Super-Aqua-Dolphin-Man Phelps ^^

LOL- Bolt does appear that way. But did you notice how his competitors rallied around him after the 200? It seemed like genuine comradery. I have a feeling he is not so much arrogant as just goofy and with a gregarious personality.

Ivhon
08-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Not really Bolt related, but congrats to the Dutchie women's water polo team on a gold medal in a huge upset. They went 1 and 2 in the prelims and then marched through 3 of the 4 top teams in the medal rounds to take gold over the US in the last 27 seconds.

Ishara
08-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't know about that temp Ivhon...maybe for synchro? But 78 degrees is way too hot to swim competively in, or play waterpolo in (which you did/do, right?)

DSG, do you agree?

StrangePackage
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Here I was thinking this thread would be something Sini was saying to discredit me.

Carry on.

Cary Sedai
08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Here I was thinking this thread would be something Sini was saying to discredit me.

Carry on.

ROFL :D

Ozymandias
08-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Maybe this is American bias, but I thought the real drama was the American guy who placed bronze prancing around like an idiot for literally 5 minutes, the whole while everyone else knew he had been DQed. It was painful to watch him celebrate a little with Bolt, knowing (a) that he was nowhere in Usain's league, and (b) that he technically didn't even place in the medals!

Weird Harold
08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know about that temp Ivhon...maybe for synchro? But 78 degrees is way too hot to swim competively in, or play waterpolo in (which you did/do, right?)

DSG, do you agree?
78F is actually pretty close to what the Mnicipal Pool I swim at every day reduces temperature to for swim meets -- They let it cool from it's normal 85F to 80F according to the flyer they have posted about pool temperature.

78F is just over 20F below normal body temperature and more than cold enough to cause shivering if you're just lounging in it because immersion is a very efficent way to transfer heat out of the body.

I'd say that 78F is proably within +/- 2F of the officially recommended temperature for setting world or aolympic records.

Davian93
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
If I remember correctly from cold weather training...you lose heat 20 times faster in water than in air....

Ishara
08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh, I know! Don't forget that I used to spend entire evenings (like 4+ hours) in the swimming pools several times a week, good recipe to turn oneself into a popsicle! I'm just going by what our competititve swimmers said abuot the pool always being too hot. We'd have our patio doors wide open, even in the winter!