PDA

View Full Version : Have you been Hermaned?

Anaiya Sedai
03-01-2012, 07:06 AM
About two weeks ago, I was handed a tub and a piece of paper.
The paper informed me that the tub contained "Herman", a german sour dough cake, that would need looking after for the next ten days.
"If you put me in the fridge, I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead."
Uhh-oh.
I kill even cacti.
But I decided to try it. I emptied Herman into a bowl, talked to him every day, fed him every few days, and watched him grow, gargle and bubble, emitting a slightly yeasty smell.
On day ten, I turned one Big Herman into four Little Hermans, gave two to friends, kept one, and put one in the oven after feeding him some more. (This did feel a bit like slaughtering a family pet....) All the effort was totally worth it, though, and the cake was delicious.

You can make your own Baby Herman by mixing the following ingredients
5oz plain flour
8oz caster sugar
1 packet of active dry yeast
Half a pint of warm milk
2 fl oz lukewarm water

What to do:

Dissolve the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes and stir.
Add the flour and sugar then mix thoroughly.
Slowly stir in the warm milk.
Cover the bowl in a clean cloth.
Leave in a cool dry place for 24 hours
Now proceed from day one of the 10 day cycle.

Day 1: Put him in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel.
Day 2: Stir well
Day 3: Stir well
Day 4: Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well.
Day 5: Stir well
Day 6: Stir well
Day 7: Stir well
Day 8: Stir well
Day 9: Hungry again. Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the 4th one.
Day 10: Herman is very hungry. Stir well and add the following:
1 cup sugar
half tsp (teaspoon) salt
2 cups plain flour
2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cooking apples cut into chunks
1 cup raisins
2 heaped tsp cinnamon
2 heaped tsp baking powder

bake at 170 degrees for about an hour.

I left out the raisins and added a topping of melted butter and brown sugar.

My next Herman is going to be cocoa, cinnamon and cocolate chunks. <drools>

The Unreasoner
03-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure I could make myself eat something that refers to itself in the first person. I mean, the cake sounds great, but...egghh. I have enough trouble with stomaching Communion.

Figbiscuit
03-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I am aware of Herman. I may have to try this...

Maybe a daft question, but how big a cup? A standard mug seems like a very big helping. How big a cake did it make?

Anaiya Sedai
03-01-2012, 07:56 AM
my instructions said that it doesn't matter how big a cup you use as long as you use the same cup every time. I used a mug, and it made a 23x23cm square cake, so fairly large. remember you only use a quarter of the mix for one cake.

Sei'taer
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
First of all, I thought this thread was going to be about Herman Cain. I thought Anaiya was losing her mind.

Second, There is no way this is German. A German Herman cake? You people aren't that creative.:D

Ivhon
03-01-2012, 08:53 AM
First of all, I thought this thread was going to be about Herman Cain. I thought Anaiya was losing her mind.

Second, There is no way this is German. A German Herman cake? You people aren't that creative.:D

Too bad that "Herman" doesnt translate the rhyme.

Deutsch Heutsch would be pretty damn funny

Anaiya Sedai
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Sei, I lost my mind a long time ago. It has since been replaced by a colourful ball of fluff pretending to be my brain. But I haven't joined the tea party yet ;)

I'm not sure the concept of Herman is german, but sour dough is. and it's delicious.

Deutsch Heutsch :D :D

The Unreasoner
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I always thought sourdough was indigenous to San Francisco.

Ivhon
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I always thought sourdough was indigenous to San Francisco.

The ten percent or so of my blood that is german is boiling at the slight!! *splutters*

Gilshalos Sedai
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Nothing like feeding and growing a yeast culture then killing it with fire.

Khoram
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Nothing like feeding and growing a yeast culture then killing it with fire.

Can't forget consuming it, too.

Alas, poor Herman! I knew him well.

The Unreasoner
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
just for kicks, I made some buttered sourdough toast with cocoa powder and cinnamon sugar on some.

It wasn't great. I don't know if a chocolate-cinnamon Herman is the way to go. The apple one looks great though.

What about some roasted peaches, or pears and dark chocolate?