PDA

View Full Version : The first law, and the power of audiobooks

Mort
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I've recently picked up The first Law series by Joe Abercrombie. I like it a lot. Very grim, very dark humor. Like it a lot. The story overall is pretty good, not the best I guess but the series definetly has some really nice qualities.

Something I learned was that I think I enjoy the series more just because I'm listening to it as an audiobook (http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B003LZ8PMG&qid=1330976390&sr=1-1). The guy reading the books is awesome. A dude named Steven Pacey. He get's Gloktas lisp just right and combined with other things it brings the story to life in a way I never would have thought about myself by reading the books.

I highly recommend the series (I'm about halfway through the third and last book now) and highly recommend you to listen to it.

Figbiscuit
03-06-2012, 05:45 AM
So did you buy the hard copy Audiobooks or have you downloaded them via Audible? I've had a look at Audible but I can't really figure out whether it's a good idea or not - if you could just buy a book as often as you liked then fair enough, but it seems to be some kind of subscription service and it doesn't appear to be good value for money. However I am willing to be talked around from that way of thinking...

Mort
03-06-2012, 06:16 AM
You download the books to either your desktop application or your smartphone.

You can do as you wish, either you pay what it says it costs, or you use subscription credits from your gold or platinum membership. A gold membership costs 14.95/month and gives you one credit to buy one book . Some books are less or more expensive than 14.95 so it all depends on what books you are interested in.

I started using it when I got a offer code from a podcast I listen to, TWiT. It got me a platinum membership free trial for 14 days, and two credits. So I used those two and cancelled the membership, but got a gold one instead. :)

Tomp
03-06-2012, 06:29 AM
With audiobooks the enjoyment of it depends just as much on who is reading the book as on the quality of the book itself.

A bad reader may totally ruin a good book.

Mort
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
I have finished the series and I can't decide if the ending was a disappointment or if it was actually quite brilliant. Or something inbetween.

suttree
03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I have finished the series and I can't decide if the ending was a disappointment or if it was actually quite brilliant. Or something inbetween.

I was of the same mind when I finished. I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg with Abercrombies world. That series was just a very small part in the overall story. I'm actually on a second reread and eager to see how I view it this time around.

Zombie Sammael
03-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I read "Best Served Cold", which I think is a standalone book set in the same universe. It was readable but I felt the characters and world lacked a bit of depth. They felt more like caricatures than real characters.

Mort
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
I read "Best Served Cold", which I think is a standalone book set in the same universe. It was readable but I felt the characters and world lacked a bit of depth. They felt more like caricatures than real characters.

He has written a book called Heroes that's supposed to be standalone as well, taking place sometime after the trilogy in the North. I havn't yet found any of them tempting to dig into straight away, maybe because of how Abercrombie ended the series.

WinespringBrother
03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
The audio book for The Blade Itself was awesome, agreed that the narrator did a good job with Glokta and Logen and the others. I enjoyed the series and stand alones, except for the "quest" sequence which seemed to drag on :eek: somewhat (trying to avoid spoilers).

I used to buy audiobooks on CD to have a physical hard copy, but they are such a pain to rip to my iPhone, so I switched to Audible, 2 credits a month which is a good deal (I think $11 per book for 99% of books). I've been mainly using it to read first books of series that I haven't read or to re-read my old favorites like Mistborn, Abercrombie, PV Brett. Definitely worth it!