PDA

View Full Version : How many copies of the series have you bought?

Seth Baker
03-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I have been thinking recently about exactly how much money I've spent on the Wheel of Time. To the best of my recollection, here's all of the copies I've owned:

Eye of the World:

Trade Paperback
Mass-market Paperback
Hardcover
Mass-market Library Binding
Kindle Edition
iBook Edition
Audiobook CD

The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, Winter's Heart:

Mass-market Paperback
Mass-market Library Binding
Kindle Edition
iBook Edition

The Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams

Hardcover
Kindle Edition
iBook Edition

The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight

Hardcover
Kindle Edition

New Spring

Hardcover

...so, by that count, A Memory of Light will be my 50th purchased copy of The Wheel of Time! Oh, and I have the old school computer game too, for what it's worth. :D

So how about the rest of you? I'm sure many of you have sunk absurd amounts of money into the series, just like I have. Who has the most?

Zombie Sammael
03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I have the Orbit slipcase TEOTW, and a copy of Legends (the anthology in which the short story version of New Spring was published). Other than that, I have bought each book in the series exactly once. I also used to own the BWB, but disposed of it.

Lupusdeusest
03-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Pre-floods I had TEotW-WH in DKS Orbit covers and CoT-ToM in Orbit Wheel-and-Serpent. I had TPoD, ACoS, LoC, and TGH in Wheel-and-Serpent too, as well as an extra TEotW DKS Orbit for loaning.
Of course, all that went -
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/169047_496821944428_732519428_5740767_8226695_n.jp g

- but 2 days after the floods, David bought me 3 DKS from one of the few stores in my town that actually sells them. I have been slowly collecting back up again since then and now have up to WH in DKS again, with CoT as a wheel-and-serpent. I diverted some funds to some Fallon books as they are damned hard to find here. I have two copies of the limited ed hardcover TEotW, as Book Depository packed the first one so poorly that it got gouged badly. I won a Tor DKS (A Tor! I was so gleeful!) in the Tor TEotW Sweeps - they failed to exclude people outside the USA... I JUMPED on that mofo.
I also have Kindle and Mobi formats of the complete set, mostly for the fan covers :p
I have stated elsewhere that my intention is to have one set each of small DKS Orbit, large DKS Orbit, small W+S Orbit, large W+S Orbit, DKS Tor, trad eBooks, fancover eBooks, fancover paperbacks, and whatever limited edition ones they release. After seeing the French covers here the other day, I kind of want them too.

Zombie Sammael
03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Pre-floods I had TEotW-WH in DKS Orbit covers and CoT-ToM in Orbit Wheel-and-Serpent. I had TPoD, ACoS, LoC, and TGH in Wheel-and-Serpent too, as well as an extra TEotW DKS Orbit for loaning.
Of course, all that went -

- but 2 days after the floods, David bought me 3 DKS from one of the few stores in my town that actually sells them. I have been slowly collecting back up again since then and now have up to WH in DKS again, with CoT as a wheel-and-serpent. I diverted some funds to some Fallon books as they are damned hard to find here. I have two copies of the limited ed hardcover TEotW, as Book Depository packed the first one so poorly that it got gouged badly. I won a Tor DKS (A Tor! I was so gleeful!) in the Tor TEotW Sweeps - they failed to exclude people outside the USA... I JUMPED on that mofo.
I also have Kindle and Mobi formats of the complete set, mostly for the fan covers :p
I have stated elsewhere that my intention is to have one set each of small DKS Orbit, large DKS Orbit, small W+S Orbit, large W+S Orbit, DKS Tor, trad eBooks, fancover eBooks, fancover paperbacks, and whatever limited edition ones they release. After seeing the French covers here the other day, I kind of want them too.

Every time you write "DKS" I think you mean Dick King-Smith instead of Darrell K Sweet.

Terez
03-11-2012, 04:17 PM
TEOTW - I've lost several mmpbs of this one to lending, and I have no idea how many. As of now I have one mmpb, one trade, and one hardcover, and I'll probably purchase the new trade when it comes out.

TGH - One trade, one hardcover. Never had an mmpb for this one. People who return the mmpb for the first one generally also return the others because they want to read them (I loan them one at a time). Will also buy the new trade for this one.

TDR - one mmpb, one trade, one hardcover. Will buy new trade, which will be the last one to come out for a while (they're starting with 1-3).

TSR - One mmpb, one hardcover. Really looking forward to the trades coming out for these, because my mmpb has been falling apart for a while.

TFOH - One mmpb, one hardcover. (Have replaced the mmpb.)

LOC - One mmpb, one hardcover, which I got in a used book store and later discovered (thanks to Harriet pointing it out) that it was signed by RJ.

ACOS - One mmpb, one hardcover.

TPOD - One mmpb, one hardcover.

WH - One mmpb, one hardcover (my first WoT hardcover, by the way).

COT - One mmpb, one hardcover. Have replaced both, so I bought two copies of each. Zae got a good deal on the hardbacks and shared, so I was happy to replace the tattered copy, which I donated to a friend.

KOD - one mmpb, one hardcover. Have replaced both, again, and the hardcover twice. Actually, there's a story here. I ordered it from Amazon, but this was just after Hurricane Katrina, so our post was slow, and I drove an hour north to buy it at a bookstore on release day, and so I had two copies. Both of them fell apart. One of them, I sent to Frenzy to be sacrificed for the WoT Genome Project, which ended up being rather unnecessary, but oh well. When the other copy started falling apart, I gave it to a friend of mine, and bought a new one.

TGS - One mmpb, one hardcover.

TOM - One mmpb, one hardcover.

NS - One copy.

Total: At least 35 copies purchased so far, not counting the BWB, graphic novels, etc. or the uncounted replacement copies of TEOTW.

Terez
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I feel your pain, except that when my house was flooded, all my WoT books were on the very top shelf of a very heavy bookcase, near the ceiling, so they survived. I lost my VHS collection of DBZ, though, and a bunch of other books...most sadly, my signed yearbooks from school.

sleepinghour
03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I have:

The Swedish edition of TEotW, TGH, and TDR in hardcover. They've been collecting dust in the basement for 15+ years now, but I don't have the heart to get rid of them.
US edition of TEotW-LoC and NS in paperback. Most of them are falling apart, so I'll probably replace them with Tor's upcoming reprint.
US edition of ACoS-ToM in hardcover.
The BWB.
The Legends anthology where New Spring originally appeared.
Orbit's limited edition of TEotW with slipcase.
Kindle edition of TEotW-ToM.

Wishlist:

AMoL, of course!
The Hungarian edition of Winter's Heart with Nynaeve on the cover (http://www.boros-szikszai.com/picture/36/). Maybe the Moiraine one (http://www.boros-szikszai.com/picture/39/) too.
The Japanese edition since I like many of the covers and the books also seem to have interior illustrations.
The uncorrected proofs. I found someone willing to part with his collection for $100 a book, which is much less than what the copies on eBay are selling for, but still more than I can justify spending on them. So I might just get one copy to see what it looks like. Still haven't decided which (the seller's collection goes up to TFoH).

Terez
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
The Legends anthology where New Spring originally appeared.

That's one of the things I lost in the flood. :(

Lupusdeusest
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I feel your pain, except that when my house was flooded, all my WoT books were on the very top shelf of a very heavy bookcase, near the ceiling, so they survived. I lost my VHS collection of DBZ, though, and a bunch of other books...most sadly, my signed yearbooks from school.
We would have had another dayor two's warning had they not suddenly decided to do a dam release during the king tide. We knew we'd flood, but without the release, it would have been later and about a meter lower, meaning some stuff at least would have survived.
ToM did float the length of the house, from my study into the kitchen, though. Most impressive.

Wunderwaffe
03-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Entire series in hard and soft cover, including New Spring and TBWB.

WinespringBrother
03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Just a few...

Tor Hardback: TFOH, LOC, WH, NS, KOD, TGS, TofM (I foolishly loaned out my signed COT and never got it back), some in barely readable condition due to broken spine syndrome.

Orbit limited Hardback: TEOTW

Tor Paperback: all but TGS (multiples of TEOTW, TSR and TFOH)

Legends with New Spring

Audio: All (this saves wear and tear on all the rest lol)

New Spring graphic novel and comics
TEOTW comics

BWB

RPG rules

Heinz
03-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I must be an odd-ball to only own one copy, in one version, of each book. Paperbacks in books 1-6, and hard covers for each book after (including NS). One can see where the series was when I picked it up and began reading it, and then didn't wait for paperback versions and just bought hard covers upon their release. The paperbacks are not in good shape though, I'll likely be replacing them sometime after AMoL is released, though I was thinking to wait and see if a full set of some sort was released.

Davian93
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I have paperbacks of tEotW, TGH, TDR and FoH, hardcovers of TSR, LoC - TGS...and extra MMPBs of the first 8 that I've acquired for free or nearly to it over the years. I have 3+ copies in paperback of several of them as I tend to grab them if I see them at used book sales in the 50 cent bin. All the spines of the original paperbacks I have have been retaped/glued though as I first started reading when TSR came out on hardback. At that point, I bought the first three on MMPB and TSR in the original hardback.

They have that really crappy original map on the inside cover.

greatwolf
03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Gosh, barely got one of each and my TDR mmpb needs to be replaced. Oh yeah, had 2 of EotW but loaned out the other.

Nazbaque
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
WH, COT and KOD are orbit hardcovers NS is a TOR paperback and all others are TOR hardcovers.

SauceyBlueConfetti
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Heh. Full hardcover set plus one extra Gathering Storm autographed.

Another full hardcover set up to Crown of Swords that is sort of a mini size as it came through the sci if book club.

One full set of paperbacks plus two extra Fires of Heaven as those FELL APART and had to be replaced. One exta EotW, different cover.

One hardcover New Spring, one paperback.

One hard cover Legends sent by a London friend. One paperback.

One Each paperback of From the Two Rivers and To the Blight.

One BWB

One D&D book

A set of the trading cards

EotW has been purchased and given in paperback to 4 people. Legends was gifted to a friend too..

The first three paperbacks were my intro to the series and were a gift from a friend.

Seth Baker
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Heh. Full hardcover set plus one extra Gathering Storm autographed.

Another full hardcover set up to Crown of Swords that is sort of a mini size as it came through the sci if book club.

One full set of paperbacks plus two extra Fires of Heaven as those FELL APART and had to be replaced. One exta EotW, different cover.

One hardcover New Spring, one paperback.

One hard cover Legends sent by a London friend. One paperback.

One Each paperback of From the Two Rivers and To the Blight.

One BWB

One D&D book

A set of the trading cards

EotW has been purchased and given in paperback to 4 people. Legends was gifted to a friend too..

The first three paperbacks were my intro to the series and were a gift from a friend.

So, if I'm right, you're at 47 in possession; 51 overall? Nice!

Are the mini hardcovers the DKS cover art, and normal mass-market paperback size?

Davian93
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I forgot to list that I do have an original BWB as well as the NS novella and full length novels. I haven't opend the BWB in probably 5 years though.

Seth Baker
03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I forgot to list that I do have an original BWB as well as the NS novella and full length novels. I haven't opend the BWB in probably 5 years though.

I've always held off on picking up a BWB in the hope that they'll release another, more comprehensive one after AMOL.

Davian93
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I've always held off on picking up a BWB in the hope that they'll release another, more comprehensive one after AMOL.

When I bought it 14-15 years ago I thought the series was almost over...

Grig
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Pshaw! That's like not buying ToM because you know that eventually AMoL is going to come out! What kind of fan be you?!

The BBoBA was interesting because it was kind of a snapshot of the series at the time it was taken, with part of the fun trying to be figuring out what parts of it might end up being relevant to the story. It wasn't supposed to be a comprehensive encyclopedia, especially since it's not an omniscient author tome.

Rand al'Fain
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow. So many people have special editions, extra copies, autographed copies, etc, that I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I have, up until the last couple of books, all papaerback novels, with a couple that had to be replaced for either falling apart or that there were some big errors. Like a copy of Winter's Heart I had, it got up to like page 370 something, and then jumped back 3 chapters, and then picked up around 576or so. Really frustrating at times, I tell you.

Terez
03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned that all of my hardbacks are signed, either by Harriet or Brandon or both. Only LOC is signed by RJ though. Brandon drew a picture of Tairy Goodkind in my TOM. :)

SauceyBlueConfetti
03-12-2012, 07:10 PM
So, if I'm right, you're at 47 in possession; 51 overall? Nice!

Are the mini hardcovers the DKS cover art, and normal mass-market paperback size?

They were Sweet, but kind of smushed in a different way. And the underlying embossed titles are all different typefaces, which is kind of cool. If I recall correctly I got that whole set for two bucks, then bought that BWB as one of my three required purchases along with a sci fi anthology and a poetry book, then cancelled my membership. 'Twas a deal. :D

Edit....and no they are smaller than normal hardcovers, but not by much.

Seth Baker
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Interesting - sounds a little bit like my library binding copies.

Sgal83
03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
I just owned 1 copy each of the series from book 1 until tower of midnight.

And they are all mass paperbacks.

Figbiscuit
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I must be an odd-ball to only own one copy, in one version, of each book.

Nope, me too. One copy of each in paperback up to Path of Daggers, of which I had to replace Fires of Heaven as it totally fell apart. They are all in the nice printed picture covers (whichever they are, Orbit?), as is my HB copy of Winter's Heart. That was the point I caught up with the series being released, and never again waited for a paperback copy. I then own one of all from Winter's Heart onwards in MASSIVE hardback, of which CoT onwards are the plainer covers with the wheel & serpent on. And I don't lend any of them to ANYONE. I have considered buying the later ones in paperback, purely due to the hardback's being so big they are hugely impractical to read anywhere except where I can rest them - no good for journeys, or in bed etc etc.

Oh. I also own NS in hardback wheel & serpent. And the BWB.

Ishara
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
I lost my VHS collection of DBZ, though, and a bunch of other books...most sadly, my signed yearbooks from school. Why do we DO that? My yearbooks are on the bottom shelf too!

I'd still buy it, honestly. There will eventually be a comprehensive encyclopedia-type book published, but that should be significantly different than the BWB, which is charming for all its faults.

Terez
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Why do we DO that? My yearbooks are on the bottom shelf too!
In this case, it was because the bottom shelf was the only one big enough to hold them. :(

Zombie Sammael
03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
In this case, it was because the bottom shelf was the only one big enough to hold them. :(

Big enough? Do/did you have a pyramid-shaped bookshelf?

Terez
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Height dimensions, not width.

Oden
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I have all the books, except tGS and ToM, in Orbit's paperback. The others are Orbit hard cover. Wheel and serpent with black background is what made me buy tEotW, the thickness and the fact that there already were several books in the series (tFoH was the newest WoT in the store) made me pick them up.
Anyone else who searches for the thickest books in the longest series when shopping for literature?

frenchie
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
All of the books in hardcover, including New Spring, the BWB. I have the Legends Anthology and TSR, TFoH, LoC, WH, CoT, KoD in paperback, plus all of the e-books for my Kindle.

Ann Kalagon
03-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Hardbacks 1-3 and 7-12 plus New Spring
Paperbacks 1, 3-7 and BWB
nook books GH, TGS and "Distinctiona" chapter from ToM

I found RJ late, right after his passing, and afer reading a tattered pb TEotW, hunted down the series at the Strand as I read it through over a couple seasons, then NS. Bought TGS and ToM new on release. Currently on 3rd reading.

Old Tolkienite I am. Happy much to have found RJ and GRRM, the only other masters of fantasy I've found and whom I'll reread many times.