PDA

View Full Version : Dune and WoT

The Unreasoner
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
So, as many people have noted before me, there are a shitton of similarities between Dune and WoT. (the first few. The rest...a bit of lazy writing)

But honestly, the similarities are so apparent and many that I think RJ flat out lied when he said he hadn't done it intentionally.

I mean, Bene Geserrit/Aes Sedai, Fremen/Aiel, Fedaykin/Siswai-aman, Arrakis/Three-fold Land, Kwisatz Haderach/Dragon Reborn, Lisan al-Gaib/Car'a'carn Melange/Power and withdrawal/severing. Paul/Rand even gets blinded.

From Dune:
Paul raised his voice: “Observe her, comrades! This is a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother, patient in a patient cause. She could wait with her sisters—ninety generations for the proper combination of genes and environment to produce the one person their schemes required. Observe her! She knows now that the ninety generations have produced that person. Here I stand... but... I ... will ... never... do ... her... bidding!”

Was RJ lying? If so, is there some hint in Dune for the ending of WoT he wanted to hide?

GonzoTheGreat
03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Was RJ lying? If so, is there some hint in Dune for the ending of WoT he wanted to hide?
Maybe Egwene is secretly Paul's ... ehr, I mean ... Rand's sister, and she'll rule as regent until his children are mature enough to be taken seriously. Then in the next series, she'll go mad as a result of strange memories that were inserted into her mind when ...

You may be on to something here.

finn
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
^ Heh, the ending could have Rand "dying" so Egwene takes over command of those who would follow him only for him to come back and undermine her authority, causing her to jump from the tower. Thom then strums on his harp and produces the proper quotation for the event. Mat is sent off to Seanchan to turn the empire's remnants into a peaceful place full of gentle things. Perrin has Aram resurrected as a Gholam. There may even be a scheme to rid the Blight of worms.

Another WoT-Dune similarity that deserves mention:

Chani/Aviendha who makes a trip (hajra/Rhuidean) to become sayyadina/Wise One apprentice and sees her own future (Waters of Life/Rings ter'angreal), in love with Paul/Rand which initially makes her afraid, not to mention having children with him who are unusual.

Mort
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
*the sound of a mind being blown*

I've never even considered the similarities between Dune and WoT. Thanks a lot! :(

Speaking of Dune. Did anyone enjoy the sequals to Dune? I've tried started reading the second book but I stop 50 pages in or so. If I'm supposed to know who those ppl they are mentioning and the objects and events they talk of, I have clearly forgotten them. It seems very dense, in no way in a positive fashion :)

Figbiscuit
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I read them, but it was a long time ago, and I remember my mind being pretty mashed by the time I got to book six. And I have some vague recollection of thinking it might be good to read them in reverse order. I expect I will read them again at some time.

I'd never thought of the similarities, but then I read the Dune series way before WoT, and I was probably only 14 or 15 at the time.

ETA: And now I want to read them again just to see. And maybe in reverse order...

Matoyak
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
*the sound of a mind being blown*

I've never even considered the similarities between Dune and WoT. Thanks a lot! :(

Speaking of Dune. Did anyone enjoy the sequels to Dune? I've tried started reading the second book but I stop 50 pages in or so. If I'm supposed to know who those ppl they are mentioning and the objects and events they talk of, I have clearly forgotten them. It seems very dense, in no way in a positive fashion :)I loved the first two books...got to the third book, and couldn't get past the first full chapter. Something changed, dunno whether it was the writing or me, but it became impossible to read at book 3 for me. I've reread the first one, and enjoyed it in the time since, so... ~shrug~

EDIT: I read Dune after WoT, and didn't notice much of similarities, but then I wasn't really looking for 'em.

The Unreasoner
03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I read the first one and then posted in one thread, read the next two and started this thread, started to continue but then just stopped. The quality makes a steep drop after #2.

But, the similarities are apparent. I wonder if RJ thought WoT Dune (the original) would be inspired by TSR and TFoH.

Terez
03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Doubt it. He evaded the truth when it came to hiding stuff, but he didn't lie as far as we know. Dune and WoT draw from some of the same sources, hence the similarities in certain respects.

The Unreasoner
03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Doubt it. He evaded the truth when it came to hiding stuff, but he didn't lie as far as we know. Dune and WoT draw from some of the same sources, hence the similarities in certain respects.
lol. Like I said, maybe in RJ's mind, in the WoT universe, Dune was based on WoT.

I love circular time...