PDA

View Full Version : Weather thread

Brita
08-18-2008, 01:17 PM
A couple of reasons I want to post this thread:

1. After all my complaining about winter weather, I just wanted to say our summers are beautiful, and yesterday it was a scorching 35 degrees (celcius) and gorgeous!

2. There hasn't been a weather related thread in at least two weeks, so I thought I better post one :)

Weird Harold
08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
A couple of reasons I want to post this thread:

1. After all my complaining about winter weather, I just wanted to say our summers are beautiful, and yesterday it was a scorching 35 degrees (celcius) and gorgeous!

2. There hasn't been a weather related thread in at least two weeks, so I thought I better post one :)
You beat me to a weather related thread by just a few minutes. :D

I don't remember how many T'Landers are in Florida, but the next five days don't seem like a good time to visit them:

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200806_5day.gif
http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200806_model.gif

ETA: The graphics update every time you refresh the thread if they've changed, so you can just check back in every so often to keep track.

Ishara
08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Really Brita? We haven't had ONE scorcher down here, let alone one day without some sort of precipitation. It's been a generally crappy summer for me, no tan to speak of! This weekend was the nicest it's been in weeks, and it was only 26 degrees! I feel like we're into September weather with the distinct chill in the air that I'm feeling in the evenings...

Brita
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
WH Said: You beat me to a weather related thread by just a few minutes.
lol- I knew we were itching for a weather thread! That looks miserable for Florida.

Ishara Said:It's been a generally crappy summer for me, no tan to speak of!
Yes, I heard the news that Toronto is now the wettest city in Canada- Congratulations!

Terez
08-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't remember how many T'Landers are in Florida, but the next five days don't seem like a good time to visit them
Why not? Tropical storms are fun. :D

Ivhon
08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Finally getting some rain here. And the temperature is below 100.

Cary Sedai
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

It's lovely, and about damn time, too!

Though mysteriously about 45 minutes after the rain stopped on Saturday night, my power went out. Stayed out for about 45 minutes, shortly after it came back on, it started to sprinkle...:confused:

Birgitte
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
It's raining for as far as my google homepage can see here. And it's gonna be relatively cool, too. 85 is the high for the next three days.

Weird Harold
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Why not? Tropical storms are fun. :D
Tropical Depressions can be fun, Tropical Storms arelesslikely to be fun, but no big deal if you're prepared, but...

Those graphics were showing Fay as a cat 1 Hurricane as it crossed central Florida and making landfall in or near Tampa Bay -- neither situation by itself would be fun, but combined would likey make Tampa/Ybor City look like New Orleans for a day or two == NOT fun.

(Tampa Bay is a place that's very vulnerable to storm surge if even a moderate tropical storm hits at the right angle and time of day.)

Terez
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Tropical Depressions can be fun, Tropical Storms arelesslikely to be fun, but no big deal if you're prepared, but...
Bah, hurricanes are fun too. :D

Matoyak
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Brita, 95 Fahrenheit (35 Celsius) is average here.

Last week it hit 103 Fahrenheit (39.4 Celsius) at 10:15 AM...and it got HOTTER from there, hit 108 Fahrenheit (42.2 Celsius) three days last week. I've got a nice tan, and the wonderful lifeguard tan-lines to boot! :D

Ishara
08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Thank goodness my parents cut their trip to Florida short! They just got home, and I couldn't be happier. The next couple of days look pretty ugly for that part of the world.

Uncle Fisty
08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Fay is due to make landfall somewhere in the Punta Gorda area, just like Charley back in 04. Just a few miles south is a little city called Fort Myers. In this little city called Fort Myers is... my house. It's been overcast almost all day, started raining lightly around 3pm and hasn't stopped.

No one I know is worried about this storm. Me included. They did close the schools though...

Weird Harold
08-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Bah, hurricanes are fun too. :D
Natural disasters -- even potential natural disasters -- aren't something that I find much humor in.

It won't surprise me to hear that somebody died in Florida over the next three days as a direct result of thinking "Storms are fun."

Weird Harold
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, Fay is due to make landfall somewhere in the Punta Gorda area, just like Charley back in 04. Just a few miles south is a little city called Fort Myers. In this little city called Fort Myers is... my house. It's been overcast almost all day, started raining lightly around 3pm and hasn't stopped.

No one I know is worried about this storm. Me included. They did close the schools though...
It has certainly fallen short of the intitial prediction of making landfall further north near Tampa as a Cat 1. I've figured all along that it would just be a wake-up call and low-intensity test of huurricane preparedness for the whole state.

Uncle Fisty
08-18-2008, 11:46 PM
It won't surprise me to hear that somebody died in Florida over the next three days as a direct result of thinking "Storms are fun."
True story: During Hurricane Charley, I watched my sister-in-law's neighbor's kids try surfing a ditch with a piece of plywood. A 3ft by 5ft plywood board. One of the kids lifted it too high and the wind tore it out of his hands and nearly took his brother's head of. A close call like that (literally 6 inches from hitting this kid in the neck) was enough to send that family back inside.

Weird Harold
08-18-2008, 11:59 PM
True story: During Hurricane Charley, I watched my sister-in-law's neighbor's kids try surfing a ditch with a piece of plywood. A 3ft by 5ft plywood board. One of the kids lifted it too high and the wind tore it out of his hands and nearly took his brother's head of. A close call like that (literally 6 inches from hitting this kid in the neck) was enough to send that family back inside.
Now if we could just get the "storm chasers" and "reporters" off the tube during big storms so 'kids' don't try to emulate them... :D

Terez
08-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Eh, that one goes the way of the violent video games argument...

Weird Harold
08-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Eh, that one goes the way of the violent video games argument...
I'm just waiting for the day that some intrepid reporter struggling against storm winds to dramatize how terrible a storm is gets nailed in the head by flying debris on live television. :(

Mort
08-19-2008, 05:01 AM

Here it feels like it has done almost nothing but rained :(

Had a really bad summer :/

Davian93
08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Its rained ALOT in Vermont all summer which has cut down on my hiking as I'm not a big fan of slogging through mud and crossing waist-high streams in the course of my hike/

Brita
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Brita, 95 Fahrenheit (35 Celsius) is average here.

Last week it hit 103 Fahrenheit (39.4 Celsius) at 10:15 AM...and it got HOTTER from there, hit 108 Fahrenheit (42.2 Celsius) three days last week. I've got a nice tan, and the wonderful lifeguard tan-lines to boot! :D

Blech- I couldn't handle it more than a couple of days in a row, honestly. It is a treat in small doses (head to the beach, bask in the sun), but after a few days it gets sluggish.

My absolute favourite weather is just around the corner- Autumn! I get a warm cozy feeling just thinking about it :)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Day #3 of raining like cats and dogs. And here just a few days ago I was lamenting our drought. Turns out the monsoon season was just delayed.

Cary Sedai
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm just waiting for the day that some intrepid reporter struggling against storm winds to dramatize how terrible a storm is gets nailed in the head by flying debris on live television. :(

You mean like in the movie...uhm, crud, what's the name of that movie...The day after tomorrow! (finally remembered).

There's that one part where a reporter is reporting on 3 huge tornadoes, and a billboard slams into him, then blows on and hes ... gone. Or the bus lands on that dudes car...

I like storms. I like to be prepared and in a safe place, but I still like them. Being scared during a storm is fun, for me. I don't think it's funny. Funny and fun are different. The danger factor excites me. The force of the weather, shows me how insignificant I am, and cause me to respect forces greater than myself. Just because I think storms are fun, does not mean I don't respect them and won't do what I need to do to be safe.

And it's still raining here! My yard is so happy, as am I! My cats aren't very happy, though. :p

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Have they asked you to make it stop yet?

Cary Sedai
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Have they asked you to make it stop yet?

Yes, yes they have. Bear goes to the front door. I open it. He looks at me, he looks outside, he looks back at me, then, yowls. I try not to giggle.

Brita
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I like storms. I like to be prepared and in a safe place, but I still like them. Being scared during a storm is fun, for me. I don't think it's funny. Funny and fun are different. The danger factor excites me. The force of the weather, shows me how insignificant I am, and cause me to respect forces greater than myself. Just because I think storms are fun, does not mean I don't respect them and won't do what I need to do to be safe.

Well put!

Weird Harold
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
You mean like in the movie...uhm, crud, what's the name of that movie...The day after tomorrow! (finally remembered).

There's that one part where a reporter is reporting on 3 huge tornadoes, and a billboard slams into him, then blows on and hes ... gone. Or the bus lands on that dudes car...

Actually, I was thinking more like in real life. :(

I can actually see why reporters are out in the weather during storms; I'd like to see it stop, but if only one station stops, it's just a loss of ratings for them.

The Kite Surfer in Ft Lauderdale (http://news.google.com/news?ned=tus&hl=en&ned=tus&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1238253915)may prove me prophetic yet. :(

Weird Harold
08-20-2008, 07:40 PM

So, it's been a day since Fay passed through Ft Meyers; Is everything OK or what?

Matoyak
08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't know about Ft Meyers, but the weather in Texas where I am was bipolar.

Started out raining, high of 70. 9 AM
10 AM - 79 Fahrenheit, mildly cloudy
10:30 AM - 65 Fahrenheit, raining buckets
10:40 AM - 98 Fahrenheit, pure blue sky, no clouds whatsoever
11 AM - Raining again.

The weather did crap like that all day. It was really freaking some people out.

Verin Mathwin
08-21-2008, 01:10 AM
We really need some rain in GA. All the water is dramatically down. It is really bad.

Weird Harold
08-21-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't know about Ft Meyers, but the weather in Texas where I am was bipolar.

Started out raining, high of 70. 9 AM
10 AM - 79 Fahrenheit, mildly cloudy
10:30 AM - 65 Fahrenheit, raining buckets
10:40 AM - 98 Fahrenheit, pure blue sky, no clouds whatsoever
11 AM - Raining again.

The weather did crap like that all day. It was really freaking some people out.
Biploar weather is frustrating but it's not quite the same as having a Tropical Storm make landfall right on top of you.

The odd way Fay has been acting, it may get around to visiting Texas nest week sometime.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Bite your tongue, WH. We've had downpours all week (And it's STILL RAINING). Fay hits us now, it'll make Allison look like a garden sprinkler.

Weird Harold
08-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Bite your tongue, WH. We've had downpours all week (And it's STILL RAINING). Fay hits us now, it'll make Allison look like a garden sprinkler.
You may have time to dry out before Fay decides to move again. She's been sitting inthe same place for almost 24 hours now, just pumping rain into the Daytona Beach area.