PDA

View Full Version : k... I don't get this...

Sarevok
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I was watching tv this evening, and I saw this commercial:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Coming to cinemas next thurday

So I checked imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185834/) to find out the movie has been out since last friday in the USA...

So... WHY hasn't ANYONE on this whole board mentioned ANYTHING about this?????? I know there are some Star Wars enthiousiasts (sp?) around here... :confused:

*is very confused*

Birgitte
08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Sinistrum and I saw it last Saturday night. It's a Star Wars kids movie. That pretty much sums it up. If you can get past the kids movie thing, it's not bad. Personally, I had trouble getting past the arguing battle droids and the clone who bleached his hair, not to mention Anakin's little girl padawan who loves nicknames like "R2-ey" and "Sky Guy". ~shudder~

But once I did, I liked it fine.

Mort
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Havn't seen but I hear the hard core fans are raving about it being blasphemous and whatever else they can think of.

Apperently it is also taking bits from the parallell universe that was created outside the movies with all the Star Wars novels etc, so I isn't 100% in line with the "real" story, or something. *shrug*

tanaww
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Sinistrum and I saw it last Saturday night.

What have I told you about hanging out with Sinistrum??

Anakin's little girl padawan

I'm not even a Star Wars nerd and I know Anakin's little girl's name is LEIA. I declare this movie LAME without even seeing it.

JSUCamel
08-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Tana, I hereby bow down to your awesomeness.

B, you've been officially pwnt.

Birgitte
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
'Cause my mom doesn't know what a padawan is?

Mort
08-19-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm not even a Star Wars nerd and I know Anakin's little girl's name is LEIA.

Why Leia? Isn't that a little.... convinient? Or did Tana just get it wrong thinking it was his daughter? :)

(Padawan means apprentice)

GonzoTheGreat
08-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Could be that the daughter was named for the apprentice. More likely, though, seems that Anakin (who was an apprentice himself at the time) didn't have an apprentice at all.

So this Leia was a spy, who had used the Jedi Mind Trick to worm her way into Anakin's confidence.

tanaww
08-19-2008, 06:52 AM
'Cause my mom doesn't know what a padawan is?

No because I'm awesome. Anakin offed all the kids. He doesn't have apprentices. I saw it myself. Episode 3. I still say this movie sounds lame.

Davian93
08-19-2008, 07:04 AM
It looked so stupid my first thought was "Doesn't Lucas have enough money that he doesn't have to make Japanimation StarWars?"

Sinistrum
08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Anakin offed all the kids. He doesn't have apprentices. I saw it myself. Episode 3.

Except that Clone Wars takes place prior to Episode III. ;)

CAUTION SPOILERS!!!!!

My review of it was a little bit more positive than B's. There were really only three things that bothered me about the film. The first was the battle droid personalities. I don't mind them having personalities, as long as they are in tune with the droids were designed to do, and that is kill. If they were programmed with personalities similar to Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket, that would have been great. Instead, they were given Daffy Duck, which was annoying. The Clone trooper personalities didn't bother me that much simply because I could see it as feasible once they got into the real world and experienced things for them to develop separate personalities. The second thing that bothered me was Anakin's padawan. I know what they were going for, in a cute spunky little girl who would play sympathetic to the kiddie audience. What they got instead was an obnoxious brat who tended to come up with stupid nicknames for people. Even in light of that, she was no where near as obnoxious as Jar Jar was and didn't ruin the film for me. The final thing that bothered me was Poofta the Hutt. Yeah, I don't think that needs any explanation there. You'd have to see it to truly understand.

As for the positives, I've got to start with Anakin himself. They ditched the whiney, angsty, brat who makes morally abhorrent choices and yet still manages to find sympathy from those close to him. In place they actually gave us *gasp* a heroic character that you could actually be sympathetic toward. In sum, this portrayal of Anakin beat the snot out of all three versions of the character in the prequels. Secondly, the battle scenes were just flat out cool and they did a great job with them. In a related point, the light saber duels were great too. Third, the plot was fairly decent and flowed very nicely. A great part of that was because it was NOT centered around Anakin and Padme's romance. In fact, that was only briefly touched on near the end of the film. Finally, I liked the main villain, Ventress as sort of a female version of Darth Maul. I know B was bothered by the violation of "their can be only two" rule for the Sith, but personally I've never bought into it. I saw it as more like the pirate's code. It is just a guideline.

Bryan Blaire
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, considering that there can never really only be two, as usually the "apprentice"/second/bitch was always training his/her own "apprentice"/second/bitch in secret as well. Hell, even Palpatine was doing that with Anakin while he had Darth Tyrannus about.

Interesting that they were weaving in some Expanded Universe stuff, but still not really enough to make me want to pay to go see the movie, regardless of how big a Star Wars fan-boy I am.

Anakin wouldn't have been an apprentice in this movie, just a Jedi, but he probably shouldn't have had an apprentice himself, unless this is taking place after his confirmation as a Jedi Knight based on the Clone Wars animated series.

RogueSavior
08-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Note - the current EU has it that the Sith ignored the 'there can only be two' doctrine, and built themselves up separate from the chain of two visible Sith, which produced Palpatine, Vader, Caedus, et. al.

There must be BALANCE to the Force. Thousands against Two =/= Balance. Unless you're crazy like Alema Rar.

The Immortal One
08-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Note - the current EU has it that the Sith ignored the 'there can only be two' doctrine, and built themselves up separate from the chain of two visible Sith, which produced Palpatine, Vader, Caedus, et. al.

Well, if you think about it, it seems that 'there can only be two' is a good way to hide your army of Sith Dark Jedi - after all, the Jedi won't be looking for them - and I never heard anyone on Vader's side say anything about such a doctrine.

Bryan Blaire
08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Actually, Darth Bane, who is the direct Sith line progenitor of Palpatine, Vader, et al., did actually institute this rule. However, being sneaky Sith (supposedly), they didn't follow their one basic and, pretty much, only stated rule.