PDA

View Full Version : Dark One's Left Hand?

LawnchairSoda
03-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, I was just rereading a bit of Towers of Midnight and I came upon this line in "Choosing Enemies".

"All right," Birgitte said as the door to the smaller chamber closed. "What in the name of the Dark Ones bloody left hand just happened."

So, do you guys think this is just innocent or do you think this could be some type of foreshadowing or something? Not quite sure what I'm getting at, but I feel like there may be something there. Whatcha think? I mean, bloody left hand? come on...could be nothing though

Cortar
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Hey guys, I was just rereading a bit of Towers of Midnight and I came upon this line in "Choosing Enemies".

"All right," Birgitte said as the door to the smaller chamber closed. "What in the name of the Dark Ones bloody left hand just happened."

So, do you guys think this is just innocent or do you think this could be some type of foreshadowing or something? Not quite sure what I'm getting at, but I feel like there may be something there. Whatcha think? I mean, bloody left hand? come on...could be nothing though

tbh I think it was Sanderson experimenting with new curses. I think he thought Jordan's typical ones were getting old

GonzoTheGreat
03-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Maybe the DO used to have a ring on that hand?

"A little ring, the least of rings, just a trifle that Shai'tan fancies, an earnest of your good will. Find it and three rings that the Seanchan possessed of old shall be returned to you, and the realm of Andor shall be yours forever."

BobH
03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
It might also be a nod to Ursula K. Le Guin's novel "The Left Hand of Darkness" (assmuing it doesn't have any real plot significance).

Zombie Sammael
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Considering that it's Birgitte saying it, it might be a relic of another age. "Bloody left hand" is a clear reference to Rand. Perhaps in another time, the loss of his hand sent him over the edge, and he became the DO's left hand, as Shaidar Haran is his right.