PDA

View Full Version : Correct Theories

Boli
03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Long time lurker here first time poster :) I used to be active on WOTmania like 10 years ago or something tho :P I'm currently on my well overdue re-read of the books at home and browsing the theories on this site.

One thing which has come to my attention is not all the silly downright hillarious theories its the ones dead on target or agonisingly close to the solution.

Seventy-Year Shake Up (http://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=23&theo=796)

This may not be so much a theory as a question, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of things happened seventy years ago? Verin made her last big mistake and commited to a plan. Adeles and Vandene retired from the White Tower. All the new sitters for the SAS are younger than 70 years old. Garenia Rosoinde of the kin ran away from the Tower (then known as Zarya Alkaese) and was never caught, which is suposed to be highly unusual. It seems kind of coincidental to me that all this happened at the same time. Just a thought.

Soooo close!

Mesanna and Danelle (http://www.theoryland.com/theories.php?func=5&rec=40&theo=612)
...long text...

BAMN dead on!

I'm sure there are plenty more in the archives but it would be nice to try and dig them all out and put them in their own section : Theories (proved correct) or something, remember some of these theories are close to 14 years old!

-=-=-=-=-

NB: its a shame no-one picked it up (that I know of) but it is possible to guess Rand would weild Hawkwings sword in book 1 and pretty much confirm it by book2. That is why I was browsing the archives to see if anyone *did* work it out.

Book 1

* The word justice is mentioned only a few times throughout the book. All in paragraphs which contain the phrase "high king's peace and justice", "his justice within his hand" (where the sword was found) or whilst morgase is discussing it in reference to tam's sword and her believing him.

* quote after prologue uses the line "dragon's great sword of justice" and is cited from the FOURTH age.

book 2

* hawkwing's defintly sword is called justice in the text.

So it *was* possible to guess the dragon would weild it in the future.

NB: whilst I'm one book down I did find it amusing the word "soothsayer" (in reference to Min) was never mentioned again.

Now onwards to Book2 and other madcap theories! :D

Tamyrlin
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I've thought about doing this...and have just failed in implementing it. It would be great to be able to mark theories that way so we can query and list them out.

Let me see what I can do...of course, putting a manual list together as you have started works too...but there are 1500. But either way, they have to be read and found.

Are you signing up to do it? :) Welcome btw!

Boli
03-27-2012, 10:22 AM
me signing up?.. not officially but I like others will prob be scouring the archives right now. to link possible contenders in this thread.

Thankfully 50% of the archive theories is deamndred/taim so that's only 750 :)

Tamyrlin
03-27-2012, 10:32 AM
me signing up?.. not officially but I like others will prob be scouring the archives right now. to link possible contenders in this thread.

Thankfully 50% of the archive theories is deamndred/taim so that's only 750 :)

True enough. Plus, lots of those are old school theories...like short speculations that I posted because well...I had lower standards back in the day about what I'd post. Heh. :)

Wotmania, damn, still bummed that Mike left.

Ishara
03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey, I'd say at LEAST 100 of those are Asmodean-related theories too, so that narrows it down as well!

Welcome, Boli!

Boli
03-27-2012, 11:06 AM
aye was shame when the site died :/

nb: after a prelimiary browse it looks like 99% of the theories are either for stuff prooved incorrect or the obvious ones like the identity of Jain farstridder as Noal.

I remember reading mad theories of rand channeling true power of weirmon being a DF and of saiden being cleansed by using Anihol's second darkness (ala wounds in rand's side)

*sigh* they were all laughed down and never saved :/

Tamyrlin
03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Might be the location where we'll find some ideas that were proved correct. I'm noticing there a bunch of unknowns that could turn out to be right...but that appear loony now.

Heh, I remember deleting a Verin is Black Ajah faction in about 1999 because no one joined that faction.

Terez
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
aye was shame when the site died :/

nb: after a prelimiary browse it looks like 99% of the theories are either for stuff prooved incorrect or the obvious ones like the identity of Jain farstridder as Noal.
Danelle/Mesaana was considered obvious too, and the 70-year plan was a topic of much discussion. The bit you posted is probably fairly representative of that discussion.

I remember reading mad theories of rand channeling true power of weirmon being a DF and of saiden being cleansed by using Anihol's second darkness (ala wounds in rand's side)

I don't believe Weiramon was ever laughed down in my time here. Perhaps way back in the day it was. Rand channeling the True Power wasn't exactly foreshadowed, so it was less of a theory and more of a prediction. There was a fairly recent post when TGS came out about Rand channeling it, but the reasoning was all wrong.

Weiramon
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM

Aye, as they should be.

The Lord Dragon, channelling the True Power? Purely ludicrous! Next you'll be saying he shares the thoughts of one of the Forsaken. Burn my soul, you might as well paint a Dragon's fang on your doorway and be done with it.

Heinz
03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
The only Weiramon theory that I remember that seemed more far-fetched to be laughed down was the 'Weiramon is Moridin/Demandred' theory.

And I wish you'd saved the Verin is Black Ajah one, I might have joined it had I seen it. :-P I called that one with my friend who reads WoT a lot too. Might be the only thing I've been right in with WoT...ever, and I kick myself for not posting it on here.

I must have missed the 70-year plan though. I know there were references to things happening all about that same time, but I never formed it into a theory. Was there something that came up and was confirmed, or am I just missing the obvious?

frenchie
03-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Here is a good thread that I found looking through the archives.

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=193&highlight=shadowspawn

Terez
03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Here is a good thread that I found looking through the archives.

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=193&highlight=shadowspawn
Incidentally, thread-starter is the same one who wrote the 'Rand will channel the True Power' post.

frenchie
03-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Looking back at the threads before TGS and ToM, you, WH, and Dav got quite a few right. Here is another one I found with some accurate speculation.

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3488&highlight=shadowspawn

GonzoTheGreat
03-28-2012, 04:36 AM
And I wish you'd saved the Verin is Black Ajah one, I might have joined it had I seen it.
I have conclusively proven that Verin couldn't be Black.

Heinz
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I have conclusively proven that Verin couldn't be Black.

Link?

Verin Mathwin
03-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I've been saying the Verin was Black from the time I joined TL... I never wrote a theory on it though.

Terez
03-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Every noob thought Verin was Black. But none of them could explain why it didn't add up (any more than those who insisted she wasn't Black could explain it).

Verin Mathwin
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Every noob thought Verin was Black. But none of them could explain why it didn't add up (any more than those who insisted she wasn't Black could explain it).

Haha... very true.

Lupusdeusest
04-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I used to love with a passion the Purple Ajah theory.

GonzoTheGreat
04-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Link?
Good question. There should be a thread where I posted this, but I just plain can't find it. It should be somewhere on the old board (http://theoryland.yuku.com/directory), and the title I probably intended to use was "Verin, a different approach". I've just looked through the archives there, checking every thread with Verin in the title, and I did not find it. Which just goes to show how good Verin is at covering her tracks.

frenchie
04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Here is a thread where WH pretty much only missed the infiltration method of the Seanchan, and Greatwolf was , er, not correct.

http://theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2103&highlight=Roedran

Flinn Sedai
04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Good question. There should be a thread where I posted this, but I just plain can't find it. It should be somewhere on the old board (http://theoryland.yuku.com/directory), and the title I probably intended to use was "Verin, a different approach". I've just looked through the archives there, checking every thread with Verin in the title, and I did not find it. Which just goes to show how good Verin is at covering her tracks.

Holy crap. Gonzo, you're the king.

I *knew* I had been checking Theoryland longer than it showed on here. Now that you mentioned it, and as soon as I saw yuku, I was like, "That's where I posted!"

Do you know how I'd be able to find my old posts? It's driving me mad, not knowing.

Terez
04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately, none of us can any more, since the search feature seems to be completely broken. You used to be able to find the posts of anyone.