PDA

View Full Version : Favorite WOT Detail?

clarett
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
There are many tiny details in the WOT books that vastly differ for our world and at the same time feel ...familiar? Somehow? What is your favorite?

For instance, mine is "Spit Dogs". Every time it comes up I smile a little and think "No way could you trust my dogs to that task." LOL

Cortar
03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Peaches being poisonous... LOL

NaeffOfDreams
03-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Jordan's play on the virgin birth trope with "the son of a Maiden" always gives me a chuckle.

WinespringBrother
03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Tuon making fun of Mat's "superstitions" while basing decisions on how many ants cross her path or if a bird flies widdershins :D

Cortar
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Tuon making fun of Mat's "superstitions" while basing decisions on how many ants cross her path or if a bird flies widdershins :D

But her "supersitions" have shown themselves to be at least somewhat accurate

WinespringBrother
03-28-2012, 02:37 PM
But her "supersitions" have shown themselves to be at least somewhat accurate

Any omens that unfolded as Tuon predicted were probably due to Mat's ta'veren influence (such as the following:

Knife of Dreams CH: 26 - As If the World Were Fog
"Thank you," she told him politely. "I think I've heard enough." Ta'veren. Ridiculous. These people and their endless superstitions! A small brown bird, surely a finch, flew out of a tall oak and circled widdershins three times above Toy's head before flying on. She had found her omen. Stay close to Toy. Not that she had any intention of doing otherwise. She had given her word, playing the game as it had to be played, and she had never broken her word in her life.

I do remember her rationalizing one of the premonitions that didn't come true, however:

Knife of Dreams CHAPTER: 8 - Dragons' Eggs
They would see a flight of birds circle more than once and predict a storm, or draw a finger through a line of marching ants, count how long it took for the ants to rejoin their line, and predict how many days of fair weather lay ahead, and never mind that it did not work out that way. Oh, there was rain three days after the birds - crows, disturbingly enough - but it was nowhere near a storm, just a gray, drizzling day.

Meanwhile, Tuon dismissed the Finns and ta'veren as lies and children's tales, and believes a version of the Karatheon Cycle that is likely corrupted. It's a funny contrast.

Cortar
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Any omens that unfolded as Tuon predicted were probably due to Mat's ta'veren influence (such as the following:

I do remember her rationalizing one of the premonitions that didn't come true, however:

Meanwhile, Tuon dismissed the Finns and ta'veren as lies and children's tales, and believes a version of the Karatheon Cycle that is likely corrupted. It's a funny contrast.

I do find it funny how they have crazy superstitions while at the same time critising the Randlanders for believing in those things you mentioned, BUT I think there is something to their superstitions. Tuon had correct readings from several events (not all tied to Matt), look at the one before she met Rand. You can't argue that was Rand's tavern twisted that because its twisting it the wrong way.

Seth Baker
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
This is because the way RJ wrote has made us, as observers, effectively Randlanders. We don't see our own cultural bias because we've been brought up in Randland, just like Mat. The way the story's been presented has made us far from disinterested, objective observers.

Oden
03-30-2012, 07:28 AM
When I first read of their omens, I thought that they were superstitions, but then I started thinking that they might be a part of the Pattern's way of steering people or they might be like déjà vu in The Matrix, a side effect of the Pattern working.

That their omens have as much merit as everything else that resembles the effects of ta'veren is not something I like

Flinn Sedai
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
When I first read of their omens, I thought that they were superstitions, but then I started thinking that they might be a part of the Pattern's way of steering people or they might be like déjà vu in The Matrix, a side effect of the Pattern working.

That their omens have as much merit as everything else that resembles the effects of ta'veren is not something I like

I went through exactly the same thing, but I went in a slightly different direction.

Actually, I got the inspiration from Douglas Adams. Basically, it's their way of reading the Pattern. They pay attention to little things, and coming up with relatively consistent rules for meaningless phenomena.

In our world, this wouldn't come up with any real information. However, in a world where every little thing is designed, reading a minor detail, can give you an idea of certain other things. In our world, it's impossible that ants walking in a line, could be telling you to go climb a tree. However, since both actions were done by the same thing (the Wheel), it's entirely possible that the Seanchan are right.

(Having a bit of trouble explaining it, so I hope that made sense.)

GonzoTheGreat
04-08-2012, 04:02 AM
You're basically saying that because of the interconnectedness of all things, a change in one place would of necessity mean a change in a second place, and if you observe and then correctly interpret that second change, then you can figure out what the first change is, and take the appropriate action.
Which makes sense, apart from the detail that in order to do that, you would need to have all the data of the Wheel available to you. But ignoring that detail (which Douglas Adams did, and which Tuon also seems to be doing) may work, if you have a sufficient friendly author.

Frenzy
04-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I chuckle at the six-toed cats in the Two Rivers, and wonder if it's an homage to Hemingway.