PDA

View Full Version : Books to read until January 2013

Westof8th
04-09-2012, 08:47 AM
What books / series can you recommend to occupy us until January 2013? The books must have intricate twisting plots, careful buildups, power confrontations and satisfying conclusions. Here are some of mine:

George R. R. Martin. Start with Game of Thrones.
Patrick Rothfuss. Start with the Name of the Wind.
James Clavell. Start with Tai Pan.
Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. The first book in the series is pretty weak, but it gets much better.
Tom Clancy. Start with Without Remorse.
Raymond Feist. Start with the Riftwar Saga (good) and then the Empire trilogy (amazing.) His subsequent books are not as great.
Ken Follett. Start with Pillars of the Earth.
Brandon Sanderson. Start with Mistborn trilogy.

Zombie Sammael
04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Instead of reading other fantasy series, you could instead read up on some of RJ's source material for the series; The Bible, Arthurian Legend, whatever you can track down. Then you'd be fully immersed in the world come January!

Davian93
04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
~moved off the WoT board to a more appropriate forum~

Welcome to Theoryland.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Good background reading...

military history: anything by Keegan, though IMO his take on the Crimean War is best. If scientific stuff's not for you, I highly recommend the Sharpe series (best read in order of publication, starting with Sharpe's Rifles).

Biographies: Maria Theresia, Louis XIII and Richelieu, Peter The Great. A good study of the onset and diplomatic aftermath of the 30-year war.

Me, I'm still in my re-read of the entire WoT series....

Res_Ipsa
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Good background reading...

military history: anything by Keegan]
Myself, I like Clausewitz.

Two excellent books I read over spring break were: Quartered Safe Out Here is about the British land war in Burma.

Goodbye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War is a good memoir from a US Marine.

suttree
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
R. Scott Bakker "Prince of Nothing" and "Aspect Emperor" series. White Luck Warrior was the best fantasy book I read last year by a wide margin. He has raised the bar pretty high with excellent writing that holds up out of genre. In the author's own words...

I wrote The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor for two kinds of fantasy readers: those who love believing in secondary fantasy worlds, and those who think they have ‘outgrown’ the genre. Over and above that, they’re dark, violent, cerebral and genuinely controversial.

NaeffOfDreams
04-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Don't forget The Malazan Book of the Fallen. (Start with Gardens of the Moon)
Also, Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine series is excellent, and the concluding novel, Caine's Law, came out last week. (Start with Heroes Die) Unfortunately, Blade of Tyshalle, my favorite of the series, is out of print aside from ebook format.
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards sequence is great, but only two books are out currently. (Start with Lies of Locke Lamora)

I'll second Without Remorse. John Kelly makes Jason Bourne look silly.