PDA

View Full Version : Since it is after noon...

tanaww
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
And almost Friday, let us turn our thoughts to Canadia's favorite sport: Drinking.

What's your favorite cocktail and how to you make it?

My fave is probably a Pomegranate Martini. Pama Liqueur and good vodka mixed 1:1; shaken, not stirred; and poured into a lovely martini glass.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I love mojitos and margaritas, but a good run and diet coke is always welcome.

tanaww
08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I love mojitos and margaritas, but a good run and diet coke is always welcome.

Funny, I'd have expected RUM and diet coke ;) AKA a Diet Cuba Libre unlike the Virgin Cuba Libres Mr. Couch Lizard should get tonight for his misbehavior.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Apparently someone slipped some into my diet coke at work, preventing me from spelling.

tanaww
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Apparently someone slipped some into my diet coke at work, preventing me from spelling.

Funny, I was blaming the I-don't-give-a-shit-itis... Have you found a cure for that?

Cary Sedai
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I dont' know if this has a name, my oldest sister made one for me when I was visiting her at college. (Yes, I was WAY underage)

Pink lemonade and Tequila. The best is just kool-aid brand pink lemonade and Patron Silver Tequila.

After that my favorite is a Mexican Martini: olive juice, orange juice, lemon juice, triple sec (of some top shelf kind), tequila (huera duera silver - maybe spelled wrong), salt on the rim and extra olives!

:D I love Tequila!

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Funny, I was blaming the I-don't-give-a-shit-itis... Have you found a cure for that?

Going home early from work is the only cure I know.

Cary: I can't believe I forgot a Mexican Martini! But then, I have no clue how to make one myself.

Terez
08-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Tom Collins. Tanqueray, mix, bit of Sprite, NO grenadine, and cherries. Lots of yummy gin-soaked cherries...

I also like Black Russians (Kahlua and vodka, NO milk).

Matoyak
08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
root beer and vanilla ice cream :D :p

I'll pass on the alcohol...bleck

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I was gonna say, Mato.. are you even old enough to drink? LOL

Cary Sedai
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Cary: I can't believe I forgot a Mexican Martini! But then, I have no clue how to make one myself.

Luckily, I waited tables at several mexican resturaunts and if there is no bartender on shift you must make your own drinks! :D

Sinistrum
08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Guinness, Blue Moon, Jager bombs, and margarita's with top shelf patron when I'm feeling indulgent.

Ishara
08-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Champagne mojitos are crazy delicious.

Also, apple juice and vodka.

Last night I had dark rum and apricot nectar.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
How on earth does one make a champagne mojito?

Brita
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I like a boring old rum and coke, or rye and coke- I'm not picky.

I DO NOT like fruity vodka coolers.

tanaww- you are going to take over Dav's place on my list of people obsessed with Canadia ;)

ShadowbaneX
08-21-2008, 02:02 PM
How on earth does one make a champagne mojito?
My google-fu is strong (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=champagne+mojito&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Ooh, interesting, champagne instead of rum... must add it to my list of things to experiment with.

tanaww
08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
tanaww- you are going to take over Dav's place on my list of people obsessed with Canadia ;)

Hardly. Davian is irreplaceable. To paraphrase Remember the Titans: "You cannot replace a Davian".

Mort
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Two of my fav drinks are P2 and Snowball. Dunno if they have them in the states or if they have the same names.

P2: Vodka and apple sourz then mixed with sprite.

Snowball: Vanilla Vodka and Advocaat (dutch liquor, it's an egg liqueur) then mix with sprite or similar.

Other than that I can drink a lot of different drinks and liquors. Martini I have a hard time drinking though.

StrangePackage
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
The Creme Soda

1 part Ginger Ale
1 part Vanilla Vodka.

Tastes just like creme soda. Great for getting girls who don't like to drink blotto beyond words. Easy sipper.

Of course, if I'm drinking, the standard double Goose and tonic with lime works just fine for me.

Oh, and Borg Spheres. Lots and lots of Borg Spheres. They're so good they even make Klingon women attractive.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh, and Borg Spheres. Lots and lots of Borg Spheres. They're so good they even make Klingon women attractive.

Yes, we noticed.

What, no Gatorade and McCormick's?

Cary Sedai
08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Great for getting girls who don't like to drink blotto beyond words.

And just why would you want to do that?

Sei'taer
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, if I can't have beer (Bass, super frosty mug)(Guiness, cold mug...no frost)(Dos equus bottle)(I had a good German..or Dutch marzen the other day, but I forgot the name. Actually, I'm not sure where it came from because I didn't read whatever language was on the bottle, but it sounded like the dutch/german type) (beer, as long is tastes good and it's cold)( A little body is good too).

Gimme a vodka martini, dirty with jalapeno. A good top shelf margarita with Patron and triple sec and don't use that crummy mix. I want a barkeep that can mix the damn thing. Mojito's are good, but I really like a good cold Caipirinha. Or, some of the expensive Irish whiskey that SoE adores and some ice on the side...2 cubes.

Birgitte
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I would never ever drink illegally, but strictly hypothetically speaking, if I did, I would like Gil's mojitos, Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss (I'm a chick, I can hypothetically drink chick beer if I want to :p), Shiner Bock, and I've always wanted one of Mom's pomegranate martinis.

StrangePackage
08-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes, we noticed.

What, no Gatorade and McCormick's?

That's only for when I'm feeling REALLY froggy.

tanaww
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I would never ever drink illegally,

You, mademoiselle, are a filthy liar.

but strictly hypothetically speaking, if I did, I would like Gil's mojitos, Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss (I'm a chick, I can hypothetically drink chick beer if I want to :p), Shiner Bock, and I've always wanted one of Mom's pomegranate martinis.

But you have great taste in alcoholic beverages. I will make you a pom-tini as soon as I can figure out where to buy hard liquor in this hick town. The class VI doesn't have Pama and Sam's doesn't sell spirits.

Uncle Fisty
08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Usually when I drink it is rum and coke. Captain Morgan Private Stock on the rocks if I just want to sip on something. Occasionally I'll mix it up with some Mountain Don't (2-3 shot Jager to 1 can Mountain Dew). Tastes like rootbeer :D

Ishara
08-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Dude, you live in Florida - like 10 minutes away from Cuba - and you drink Captain Morgan?! Ewww! Why the hell wouldn't you drink Havana Club or Brugal?

Davian93
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Johnny Walker Blue Label is worth the price if you love scotch.

tanaww
08-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Dude, you live in Florida - like 10 minutes away from Cuba - and you drink Captain Morgan?! Ewww! Why the hell wouldn't you drink Havana Club or Brugal?

Ishara, Cuban Rum is illegal in the States. Stupid, ineffective trade embargo deprives Sarge of his Cuban cigars as well.

Ivhon
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Beer: I like a good Sammy. Maybe a Blue Moon in the summer heat.

Sophisticated: Top-shelf vodka martini. Dusty (so dry that you just blow over the vermouth) with a twist. Don't much like olives.

To get blacked-out-don't-know-what-century-it-is-drunk: Screaming Dead Nazi's - 151 + Jager + Rumpleminz

Summer Cocktail: "Health Drink" - Top-shelf dark rum and pink grapefruit juice.

ShadowbaneX
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh, and Borg Spheres. Lots and lots of Borg Spheres. They're so good they even make Klingon women and Borg males attractive.

you seemed to have left something out...don't worry, I fixed it for you.

RogueSavior
08-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Gorilla Milk.

1/3 Vanilla Vodka, 1/3 Kahlua, 1/3 Bailey's Original Irish cream. As big as you desire.

Entirely hypothetically, of course. Also, just grab a bottle of Caramel Baileys and a glass with some ice in it, and drink it right down. Again, hypothetically.

I don't know if they have Pete's Wicked Brew where any of you guys are, but it's a relatively new discovery of... my friend's... and HE says it's delicious.

Hypothetically, I may be entirely capable of drinking almost anything...

tanaww
08-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Gorilla Milk.

1/3 Vanilla Vodka, 1/3 Kahlua, 1/3 Bailey's Original Irish cream. As big as you desire.

Entirely hypothetically, of course. Also, just grab a bottle of Caramel Baileys and a glass with some ice in it, and drink it right down. Again, hypothetically.

I don't know if they have Pete's Wicked Brew where any of you guys are, but it's a relatively new discovery of... my friend's... and HE says it's delicious.

Hypothetically, I may be entirely capable of drinking almost anything...

You, good sir, are also a filthy liar. I have heard tales of your poor mates having to carry your Ogre-sized drunk ass back up to the third floor of your dorm. Which, for the record, I would not do. I'd have left you sleeping on the bench out front.

Caramel Bailey's eh? I could have sworn you were a dude. And you might as well call the "friend" with the Pete's Wicked Brew your girlfriend as I'm pretty sure this "friend" is your right hand (or your left if you're going for some strange).

Weird.

Davian93
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Caramel Bailey's eh? I could have sworn you were a dude. And you might as well call the "friend" with the Pete's Wicked Brew your girlfriend as I'm pretty sure this "friend" is your right hand (or your left if you're going for some strange).

Weird.

Ewww....thanks for that "wonderful" graphic Tana.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by StrangePackage
Oh, and Borg Spheres. Lots and lots of Borg Spheres. They're so good they even make Klingon women and Borg males attractive.

Nah, SBX... that wasn't him.

tanaww
08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Ewww....thanks for that "wonderful" graphic Tana.

You're welcome. I am coming to terms with the fact that my beloved children are both drunks and, apparently, filthy liars.

Since B didn't drink until she got to Houston, I blame Bryan and the lizard. Isn't that right Gil?

Gilshalos Sedai
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Uh, yeah... that's right. Entirely.

~walks away whistling, hands in pockets~

tanaww
08-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Uh, yeah... that's right. Entirely.

~walks away whistling, hands in pockets~

You've got a bit of a smudge on that halo, sweetie ;) And I think your wings fell off.

Ishara
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Ishara, Cuban Rum is illegal in the States. Stupid, ineffective trade embargo deprives Sarge of his Cuban cigars as well. Ah, but he lives in Florida, which is where Miami is, so I'm thinking he could his hands on some if really wanted to.

Trust me Fisty - you really want to. ;)

Ozymandias
08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Johnny Walker Blue Label is worth the price if you love scotch.

You know, I prefer Green Label. Nice glass of that with anything from Arturo Fuente... thats a good time. I'm an addict to that stuff. And for a birthday, a friend bought me a glass of straight Stoli Elite... now THAT is good vodka.

As for mixed drinks... mojito, Captain Morgan and sprite is really good... and all frozen drinks are amazing. Sugar AND alcohol, all in one? Bring it on.

Sei'taer
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
As for mixed drinks... mojito, Captain Morgan and sprite is really good... and all frozen drinks are amazing. Sugar AND alcohol, all in one? Bring it on.

If it's too sweet I can't handle it. A rum and coke will have me selling buicks after the second round. I have to have a little sour or no sweet at all and I'm good.

To all of you who said something about Blue Moon...lemme say that it is by far the nastiest beer I have ever had. Yuck. To date, I have had one mug of the dirty pisswater and thats only because I didn't know it was wheat beer until I got it and then the sorry bartender wouldn't let me trade it out. I had to drink it and then order a much better beer to wash the taste out of my mouth. Wheat beers and flavored beers are right up there with smirnoff ice and jolly rancher plop.

Everytime I go to the store and see the bud/clamato mix it makes my stomach churn...I can't think of anything more disgusting than that, I suppose if it was a choice between that and Blue Moon, I'd have to drink Blue Moon, but hopefully that situation never arises.

Sinistrum
08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
To get blacked-out-don't-know-what-century-it-is-drunk: Screaming Dead Nazi's - 151 + Jager + Rumpleminz

Ivhon that is just nasty. But then again, anything with Rumpleminz in it is nasty. It's like downing a shot glass full of Scope.

Ozymandias
08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
To all of you who said something about Blue Moon...lemme say that it is by far the nastiest beer I have ever had. Yuck. To date, I have had one mug of the dirty pisswater and thats only because I didn't know it was wheat beer until I got it and then the sorry bartender wouldn't let me trade it out. I had to drink it and then order a much better beer to wash the taste out of my mouth. Wheat beers and flavored beers are right up there with smirnoff ice and jolly rancher plop.

How do you not like Blue Moon? It ranks up there with Newcastle on tap, and Hoegaarden, for beer of choice for all discerning people.

Davian93
08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Blue Moon is okay...nothing special though. I'd much rather have something like Paulaner.

Sinistrum
08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Dav are you kidding me? Their Hefeweizen is one of the skunkiest I've ever tasted. The only one that has ever beaten it out in terms of skunk butt taste is Franziskaner. And of course, Heineken.

Ivhon
08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Ivhon that is just nasty. But then again, anything with Rumpleminz in it is nasty. It's like downing a shot glass full of Scope.

Oh, it's horrible. Makes you grimace with every shot. But that only serves as a reminder of WHY you are drinking that in the first place. Also, each shot grows three chest hairs.

Davian93
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Dav are you kidding me? Their Hefeweizen is one of the skunkiest I've ever tasted. The only one that has ever beaten it out in terms of skunk butt taste is Franziskaner. And of course, Heineken.

Try it fresh in Europe...or on tap. Its delicious. In the states its hard to get it fresh and it would be somewhat skunky at that point.

Cary Sedai
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Beer makes me sick! All beer. I take one sip, nevermind the taste, and it makes my tummy twist. I don't know why, the taste of some beers really isn't horrible. I've tried just about every kind. Dark is the worst, for me.

Good thing I can drink liqour!

StrangePackage
08-22-2008, 12:24 PM

You have me confunded with XX. And he didn't need the Borg Spheres to get his assimilate on.

Sei'taer
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
How do you not like Blue Moon? It ranks up there with Newcastle on tap, and Hoegaarden, for beer of choice for all discerning people.

Sorry, don't like it. I don't like clouds in my beer. I like Paulaner too, Dav. Something about wheat beers, or raspberry ripple (name your flavor) beer just turns my stomach. You are hereby allowed to drink all of them you want.

To get blacked-out-don't-know-what-century-it-is-drunk: Screaming Dead Nazi's - 151 + Jager + Rumpleminz.

Sounds similar to a Running Screaming Shits...I don't think it has jager in it though.

tanaww
08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Sounds similar to a Running Screaming Shits...I don't think it has jager in it though.

Isn't there also some vile concoction with tequila and tabasco in it?

Shall we expand this discussion to favorite drinking games? Like "Bob" or The South Park Game?

ShadowbaneX
08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Nah, SBX... that wasn't him.
it might not have been him, but I'm pretty sure the Borg Spheres were involved.

Ishara
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Tequila and tabsco sauce is what we like to call a Prairie Fire. Yuck. I prefer liquid cocaine if I'm gonna flinch with every shot. A little jager, a little goldschlagger...and lot sauced!

Davian93
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Any wine drinkers here?

tanaww
08-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Any wine drinkers here?

Nope... nothing to see here. Just move along...

Sinistrum
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Wino. :p

tanaww
08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Wino. :p

Your point?

Davian, I love a good Cabernet with a capital L. I'm partial to the German Whites (Chardonnay is so hit or miss these days) and always open to suggestion. What about you?

Sei'taer
08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Your point?

Davian, I love a good Cabernet with a capital L. I'm partial to the German Whites (Chardonnay is so hit or miss these days) and always open to suggestion. What about you?

I like a good gewerztahoweveryaspellit. Tates good with food.

Ishara
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I love drinking it, but hate talking about it - it always sounds so pretentious.

Italian Pinot Grigio and good tri-blend from Chile are my faves.

Davian93
08-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Your point?

If you like good Cabs, try a Spanish Jumilla (its a similar grape). Its a very good deep red. I'm a big fan of German Whites as well...especially Reisling Spatleses and even just regular reislings. If you like a good white...try a Conundrum (its a Napa white that's a mix of Chardonnay and Pinot Gris I believe).

tanaww
08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I like a good gewerztahoweveryaspellit. Tates good with food.

You spell it M-I-L-L-E-R, Redneck. The Champagne of Beers (Wasn't it? You know you remember).

I kid! It's Gewurztraminer. I like it too. I usually go with that when I'm with one of my sisters-in-law and avoiding Chardonnay. Pinot Gris (Grigio) and Sauvignon Blanc are also lovely. SoE's foodie rubbing off on you or do you both get it from Pops?

Damn we need to get our families together for a food fest. Pops and Sarge can cook while you, me and SoE bartend. RS and B can do dishes!

Davian93
08-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm a big fan of Gewurztraminer. They are sometimes hard to find though I've had better luck finding them lately. There is a couple of decent Oregon grown Gewurzt and I've found several German ones...its a nice spicy white that goes really well with Asian food (especially Thai).

I like alot of Chardonnays so I can't help you there. I've always found Sauvignon Blancs a tad bland personally. Pinot Grigs are pretty good.

I think Pinot Noirs are highly overrated (thanks Sideways for making them so popular). Merlots are pretty boring too IMHO. I just finished 2 bottles of Reisling this week and another of Jumilla. (I have a bunch of both in my collection). Another good red you should try if you like Cabs is a Portugese Barco Nolo. If you want affordable Reds, look for Chilean Cabernets as you can usually get the same quality as a Napa Cab at about a quarter the price.

Locally there,s some okay cold weather varietys that are offshoots of Cab Francs and some Seyval Blancs that can handle the cold up here. There's also some good ice wines but those are a tad pricy.

I'm a big fan of Zinfandels...real zinfandels not the dumb white ones that jug wine is made...the dark red ones are great.

tanaww
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I like alot of Chardonnays so I can't help you there. I've always found Sauvignon Blancs a tad bland personally. Pinot Grigs are pretty good.

The bulk of my recent experience with Chardonnay has involved experiments that discovered Chardonnay aged in steel that tasted a bit much like the barrel. I'm not opposed to good Chardonnay. E-mail me a list of good ones.

I think Pinot Noirs are highly overrated (thanks Sideways for making them so popular).

Pinot Noir is like the little girl with the curl. When it's good, it's very, very good and when it's bad, it's awful. They also don't have the body, IMO, to stand up to much. But, here's an awesome true story:

Long ago in La Crosse, Wisconsin there was a little liquor store downtown with a Master Sommelier for an owner. This guy had won tasting awards all over the world and, I swear, could recommend a wine that would blow your mind to go with a Big Mac. Sarge and I were in that store (back in the good old days, we had no kids every other weekend so we could cook and drink good wine and... I digress) looking for wines to serve with the Cornish Hen we planned to cook later. He walks up and we ask our question. His response? "Would you like to taste some?" Hell. Yes.

He leads us through this maze through the back of the store, out a side door, in another down to literally the cellar of the building. Sits us down on one side of the bar and sets up about seven bottles of wine. I still wish we'd taken notes and pictures but we got a mini-class on German Whites - the difference between a Reisling and a Moselle (the former is always in green bottles IIRC and the latter in brown for a quick reference) and worked our way up to some very lovely Pinot Noirs. We spent way too much on way too many bottles of wine that day. Art Soell Sr. is my hero.

Merlots are pretty boring too IMHO. I just finished 2 bottles of Reisling this week and another of Jumilla. (I have a bunch of both in my collection). Another good red you should try if you like Cabs is a Portugese Barco Nolo. If you want affordable Reds, look for Chilean Cabernets as you can usually get the same quality as a Napa Cab at about a quarter the price.

I agree on the Merlot and the Chilean Cabernets. Some of the blends from South America are quite nice also.

Locally there,s some okay cold weather varietys that are offshoots of Cab Francs and some Seyval Blancs that can handle the cold up here. There's also some good ice wines but those are a tad pricy.

Well, you did forget my birthday ;)

I'm a big fan of Zinfandels...real zinfandels not the dumb white ones that jug wine is made...the dark red ones are great.

I agree. I only drink White Zin if RS is present at the gathering and the only alternative is sobriety! :) A nice Red Zinfandel is a beautiful thing. I used to have a really good friend who owns a wine bar (http://www.bar-divani.com/). Whenever I was in there for dinner or whatever, he'd bring glasses by to try to stump me in a "guess the grape" type game. He thought he'd stumped me with Zinfandel once ('cause he knows how much I love Cabernet. Try Simi (http://www.wine.com/V6/Simi-Alexander-Valley-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2003/wine/84746/detail.aspx), you'll thank me later). No such luck. I guessed right away. But it's a fun game because the wine is ALWAYS good.

RogueSavior
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Do any of you Winos have change for a twenty?

Drinking Games? I got your drinking games right here!

Asshole, the old staple, is a favorite in our circle, as is Beer Pong (AKA Beirut, not the one involving a ping-pong paddle), and a game called Hockey, which we shall cover in today's lesson. Of course, as I never partake, I am an excellent authority on the rules.

Step 1: Take a deck of cards
Step 1a: The people sitting in every other seat (so if there're four people, the person across from you, get it?) are on your team, and are trying to score points with you, not on you.
Step 2: Deal the cards out evenly, however you choose to do so.
Step 3: Each player tries to look at everyone else's cards the whole time.
Step 4: Punch whoever you catch trying to see your cards ( I think this is a House Rule - just breast your cards so nobody sees them, and you'll do better at 'winning')
Step 4a: Dealing someone, or everyone's, cards face up , while legal, is considered a total dick move. Also, don't leave the table, or consider your cards known by everyone)
Step 5:Play proceeds to the dealer's left. Jacks and eights are considered safe cards, which cannot be scored upon. You may open play with a safe card, but cannot follow a played safe card with one of your own.
Step 6: A Point is scored when you can play a card with the same numerical value as the one played by the person to your right immediately before your turn. Upon scoring of a point, the entire team of "fucking pussies" who were scored upon must then proceed to drink until the member of the scoring team to their right allows them to stop - note that eventually, you will be counter-scored upon, and then the other team has control over you.
Step 7: Proceed to play around the table, scoring points and punching each other until all cards have been played. At this point, a period is over. Like in Hockey, there are three periods, in addition to however many overtimes are required to decide the winner.

The Immortal One
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Gee, who knew there were so many different types of booze?!

Davian93
08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Tana, have you ever had a good Chenin Blanc? Most Chenin Blancs are turned into jug wine but if you can get your hand on a good one, its a very nice experience. Its a nice sweet white (a summer evening wine essentially). Very floral. I got a case of it in Napa last year and we still have 2 bottles of it. The vineyard we got it from is called Goosecross (its a small local distribution in Rutherford (Napa valley). Also very good and affordable for a Red Blend is Girard Artistry Blend (its a mostly Cab mix with some franc and zinfandel in it...it ages well). I have a bunch of the 03 that is getting very good.

On Chards:

Clos Pegase 04 and 05 were both good years. The 04 is more buttery than the 05 but both have a very developed flavor. IIRC, 04 was a great year for Napa but subpar for Sonoma when it comes to whites. 05 was decent for both. Pegase ages in french oak so its a very buttery toasty flavor.

I mentioned Conumdrum earlier (its a nice blend in the $20-25 range.

Grgich Hill Chardonnay is a favorite of mine no matter what the year.

Cakebread is good too for Chardonnay...though I like their Sauvignon as well. Both of those last 2 are in the $40 a bottle range though.

Another good white is Mondavi's Fume Blanc (the real Mondavi not his mass production crap)

On affordable wines, I like Chateau St. Michelle for some of their whites...they usually score high 80's for around $10-15 a bottle.

Davian93
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Here's some links:

Grgich Hills (http://www.wine.com/V6/Grgich-Hills--Chardonnay-2005/wine/91977/detail.aspx)

Far Niente Chard (Avail at Costco usually) (http://www.wine.com/V6/Far-Niente--Chardonnay-2006/wine/94257/detail.aspx)

Clos Pegase (Winery site...they ship :)) (http://www.securewineshop.net/clospegase/customer/home.php?cat=1)
Here's a good Zin: Neibaum-Coppola 02 was a good year I believe...may have been 03 though...can't find the link

Bryan Blaire
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Bryan likes Buttery Nipples.

Contrary to Gil's view, Bryan does not HAVE Buttery Nipples.

Buttery Nipple: 1/2 glass of Bailey's, 1/2 glass of Butterscotch Schnapps

Make as large a Nipple as you want by following this recipe. I prefer Double Old Fashioned or even Highball sized Nipples.

Sei'taer
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I prefer Double Old Fashioned or even Highball sized Nipples.

~Shitty italian accent~ Thatsa bigga nipple!

Ozymandias
08-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry, don't like it. I don't like clouds in my beer. I like Paulaner too, Dav. Something about wheat beers, or raspberry ripple (name your flavor) beer just turns my stomach. You are hereby allowed to drink all of them you want.

I take it you like the regular Paulaner, not the wheat Paulaner? Lol. And I have tons of trouble finding it (except Chimay, which is my least favorite but seems popular), but Trappist ales are freaking amazing. If anyone lives in or around Philadelphia, you MUST go to Monk's and spend a few days there. I lived there for a few weeks last spring.

uhmmm... trappist beer. delicious

Davian93
08-22-2008, 11:04 PM
I take it you like the regular Paulaner, not the wheat Paulaner? Lol. And I have tons of trouble finding it (except Chimay, which is my least favorite but seems popular), but Trappist ales are freaking amazing. If anyone lives in or around Philadelphia, you MUST go to Monk's and spend a few days there. I lived there for a few weeks last spring.

Good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't care so much for Chimay...Its pretty freaking expensive and just a bit too bitter INHO. Trappist ales are pretty good though.

Ivhon
08-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Drinking Games:

Anchorman: Two teams of 4. One cup of beer for each player. One Pitcher of beer. Two quarters.

Each team shoots quarters into the other team's cups. Your team has to pass your quarter while you drink (so the other team can keep shooting). If you are a bonehead and miss and hit your team-mate's quarter, you just dicked over your team-mate. Once you have hit each of the opposing team's cups, you shoot the pitcher. If you hit the pitcher, the other team drinks. The last person to drink, the "anchorman (who must be designated and remain so for the round)," must finish the whatever is left in the pitcher without removing his lips. It is considered very bad form to leave the anchorman with more than a token amount to drink - so really the 3rd man does the work.

At Princeton in the early 90's, Anchorman was played casually most nights (pick up games). However there were frequently organized tournaments with as many as a 64 team draw: best 4 of 7 each round. Drinking orders had to be announced at the beginning of the round and could not change during the round.

Casual "girly" drinking: Zoom, Schwartz, Perfigliano, Bitterman. Kindof a verbal/visual tag game. "Zoom" sends it to the person you are looking at. "Schwartz" sends it back to whoever gave it to you. Perfigliano sends it to the right. Bitterman sends it to the left.
1. Can't zoom a zoomer (i.e. if I "zoom" and look at you, you can't "zoom" back at me....schwartz is fine, though)
2. Can't be the person who makes the same call for the third time in a row.
3. Can't be the person who finishes the "name of the game" in sequence (i.e. I "zoom" you, you "schwartz" back to me, I "perfigliano" off to my right and that bonehead - probably ST - says "bitterman" - bonehead drinks).
4. If you are too slow, you drink. Slowness is determined by how good the players are.
5. If you fuck up three times in a row, you drink a full beer.
6. "Varsity Zoom" variant: "too slow" is anything longer than about one second. Use 16oz cups and you drink a full beer if you fuck up twice in a row.

Strategy involves headfakes (i.e. quickly and intently staring at someone while you "schwartz"), pointing at a different player than you are passing to, baiting a "name of the game" or 3 in a row violation and the like. Fun game if the players are good and you get in a good rhythm.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
You've got a bit of a smudge on that halo, sweetie And I think your wings fell off.

Oh, that's why I'm flying in a circle. Shit. Help me, would ya?

Ozymandias
08-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Drinking Games:

Anchorman: Two teams of 4. One cup of beer for each player. One Pitcher of beer. Two quarters.

Each team shoots quarters into the other team's cups. Your team has to pass your quarter while you drink (so the other team can keep shooting). If you are a bonehead and miss and hit your team-mate's quarter, you just dicked over your team-mate. Once you have hit each of the opposing team's cups, you shoot the pitcher. If you hit the pitcher, the other team drinks. The last person to drink, the "anchorman (who must be designated and remain so for the round)," must finish the whatever is left in the pitcher without removing his lips. It is considered very bad form to leave the anchorman with more than a token amount to drink - so really the 3rd man does the work.

At Princeton in the early 90's, Anchorman was played casually most nights (pick up games). However there were frequently organized tournaments with as many as a 64 team draw: best 4 of 7 each round. Drinking orders had to be announced at the beginning of the round and could not change during the round.

Casual "girly" drinking: Zoom, Schwartz, Perfigliano, Bitterman. Kindof a verbal/visual tag game. "Zoom" sends it to the person you are looking at. "Schwartz" sends it back to whoever gave it to you. Perfigliano sends it to the right. Bitterman sends it to the left.
1. Can't zoom a zoomer (i.e. if I "zoom" and look at you, you can't "zoom" back at me....schwartz is fine, though)
2. Can't be the person who makes the same call for the third time in a row.
3. Can't be the person who finishes the "name of the game" in sequence (i.e. I "zoom" you, you "schwartz" back to me, I "perfigliano" off to my right and that bonehead - probably ST - says "bitterman" - bonehead drinks).
4. If you are too slow, you drink. Slowness is determined by how good the players are.
5. If you fuck up three times in a row, you drink a full beer.
6. "Varsity Zoom" variant: "too slow" is anything longer than about one second. Use 16oz cups and you drink a full beer if you fuck up twice in a row.

Strategy involves headfakes (i.e. quickly and intently staring at someone while you "schwartz"), pointing at a different player than you are passing to, baiting a "name of the game" or 3 in a row violation and the like. Fun game if the players are good and you get in a good rhythm.

I don't understand that game at all. However, I did learn an excellent new drinking game this year called "Baseball", which is complicated but by far the most fun I've ever had with beer (except for that one time with the Thai transsexual and the whip... yeah).

Pre-game: Two teams of 4. Line 4 cups up in a vertical line at either end of the table. Establish batting order.

The opponent's cup which is closest to you is a single, the next a double, triple, HR. Flip a coin for who shoots first. If I make a triple, then the guy at the other end has to drink the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cups of beer. Next batter is up.

Every time you miss the cup, its a strike. If it hits the rim of the cup, its a foul ball and is only considered a strike if the opposing player catches it on the fly (you need a defender from the other team behind the cups). The three players from each team not batting or defending line up on the long sides of the table. If there is a player on base, he is allowed to steal, which means the guy who got that hit has to drink 2 cups and flip them before someone on the other team drinks and flips one.

Whoever scores the most runs, wins.

Sinistrum
08-23-2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWkD7EXryU

Sei'taer
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
SoE's foodie rubbing off on you or do you both get it from Pops?

Damn we need to get our families together for a food fest. Pops and Sarge can cook while you, me and SoE bartend. RS and B can do dishes!

I think I've been a fan of food since I was old enough to eat. I love food and I love to try new things. My wife thinks it's funny that I basically use the internet for TL, news, and recipes. That's why I want to get to a point where I am able to travel to Europe and take a long vacation like SoE did. I'd love to just hop from place to place and try all the different foods...although there's not much I haven't tried. I'd just like to be able to see how it is done and tastes locally. I know here, and everywhere I assume, they put regional spins on foods so they will taste right to those that are paying for it. I want to go and see if thats really how it tastes. Ahhhh, maybe someday.

Sei'taer
08-23-2008, 10:56 AM

I think I've heard of that. Isn't only available every once in a while and that makes it hard to get. Something about monks brewing it, but they don't brew very much...I'd like to give it a try.

I've thought about trying to brew my own, but the process is so long I haven't really thought that hard about it. Anyone else ever tried it?

tanaww
08-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I've thought about trying to brew my own, but the process is so long I haven't really thought that hard about it. Anyone else ever tried it?

Sarge has made some lovely beers. It's not that long a process except the aging part. Making a batch of beer is about as complicated as making bread (not at all). It's the fermenting and aging process that takes time. I find the wait to be worth it. If you decide to give it a try, drop me an e-mail (I know you have it) and I'll point you to some suppliers and a binder full of recipes.

Sei'taer
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
except the aging part.

Thats the part I hate. And then if it takes like Sini's ass you're shit out of luck til the next batch comes thru. I'll think about it though. I may take you up on the offer.

tanaww
08-23-2008, 11:42 AM
if it tastes like Sini's ass you're shit out of luck til the next batch comes thru.

1. I don't want to know how you know what Sini's ass tastes like.

2. We've never had a batch taste as vile as that probably is.

3. That's why you have a second carboy to have a second batch in the queue. We've got a pilsner and a stout right now, I think. It's either a stout or a porter.

Davian93
08-23-2008, 12:04 PM
I've always wanted to brew my own beer....I need an actual house to do it in as my condo doesn't have the room for the equipment.

So Tana? no response on my latest wine posts?

tanaww
08-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I've always wanted to brew my own beer....I need an actual house to do it in as my condo doesn't have the room for the equipment.

So Tana? no response on my latest wine posts?

My bad. I am taking your comments under advisement. I will contact you when the research is complete.

And beer brewing equipment doesn't take up THAT much room. A big pot, a carboy or 2 and a big bucket. The tubing fits in the pot or the bucket for storage as does a funnel with a mesh filter and the bottle capper. Each batch makes a couple cases. It's really not bad. If you decide to try it, I make you the same offer I made 'Taer.

Davian93
08-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I've realized from this thread that I'm pretty much a lush...damn I drink alot of different things.

Purple Dragon
08-23-2008, 09:52 PM
DARK ALE - COLD and in a COLD glass...no lukewarm piss a thankyouverymuch

Long Island Iced Tea - 3,3,3,3,9,1 and then crushed ice for the remaining space...

I used to make something we called rotten swampmuck or something like that... looked nasty greenish brown... smelled a bit weird... but tasted great and kicked like a mule on speed:) too bad it's been so long since i last did it that i probably can't remember it... oh well... on to the drawing board:D

StrangePackage
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Viking Beer- take a good, rich lager. 2 parts lager, 1 part Meade.

Meade is fantastic. I recommend it. Liquid panty remover. Sini can attest- it can do things no other beverage can.

Sinistrum
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Viking Beer- take a good, rich lager. 2 parts lager, 1 part Meade.

I so need to try this.

Meade is fantastic. I recommend it. Liquid panty remover. Sini can attest- it can do things no other beverage can.

Damn skippy.

Mort
08-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Sini's panties were removed after he drank it!? Gosh!

StrangePackage
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Just FYI, you can buy Bunratty Meade online.

http://www.argonautliquor.com/r/products/bunratty-meade/?utm_source=google;utm_medium=base

It's also in the Desert/Sweet wine section of Total Wines, if there's one of those near you. HIGHLY recommended!

Sinistrum
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah they sell it at Specs here and another brand called Camelot which I happen to like better. Plus there is a meadery at the TX Reniassance Festival every year that tops just about anything I've ever tasted in terms of meade.

Davian93
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
I had an excellent dessert wine today after dinner. We decided to open up a apple/reisling grape mix ice wine....very tasty mix of almost apple cider and sweet ice wine strong too but still tasty. Well worth the cost of it. I believe it was an 04 from a local Vermont winery...its been on the shelf for a long time now so it was time to open it. Very good though.

Ishara
08-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I know I'm biased, but a good Chilean red will get me everytime. Maybe it's just know that the oldest grapes in the winemaking world live there. :p My latest fave is the Carmenere. Delicious!

tanaww
08-25-2008, 07:47 AM
I had an excellent dessert wine today after dinner. We decided to open up a apple/reisling grape mix ice wine....very tasty mix of almost apple cider and sweet ice wine strong too but still tasty. Well worth the cost of it. I believe it was an 04 from a local Vermont winery...its been on the shelf for a long time now so it was time to open it. Very good though.

Like I said, Dav, you forgot my birthday.

DahLliA
08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
favourite coctail? as long as it doesn't have gin it's all good :p