PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Callandor!

Sei'taer
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I think this is the second theory I've posed in my 12 years at TL.

At Jcon, I was sitting outside having a smoke on saturday and Maria came out. I had already told her that I was one TLer who wouldn't bother her with questions while she was out there, so she came and sat. After a few minutes someone came up and asked her a question about Callandor and it made me start thinking about things and I came up with a theory. The question was "Does Callandor have a buffer for women when being used during a link that protects the male channeler?"

The answer was a RAFO.

Anyway, this got me thinking and I talked to Tam a bit about it and also to Dai Shan and Yks.

Now, to get into this and give you my perspective on it. I hate the idea of Rand transfering to Moridins body, or of Rand getting killed and being reborn through TaR. I think it's too easy.

Here's my theory:

Alivia and Nyn will be linked with Rand to use Callandor. A woman has to meld the flows, and since Alivia is used to and very good in battle, she will be in control. During the fight with Moridin, ALivia kills Moridin and Rand also dies because of the link between he and Mor.

Now, there is a lot of foreshadowing all through the series about healing death. It can't be healed. We all know this, it's been stated over and over to the point that you can't ignore it anymore...Rand even tries it while using Callandor. We also know that when Rand was using Callandor, he had experiences wielding new and unfamiliar weaves with the power.

What if Alivia kills Moridin, and Rand in the process, and Callandor which obviously knows the Dragon and perhaps carries some of his essence, is able to help Nyn bring Rand back? Rand may be the only person who can be healed because of the essence that Callandor carries.

Zombie Sammael
04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
A couple of initial thoughts/questions:

1. I'm not so sure about the "you can't heal death" thing being foreshadowing. It appears to just be the rules of the game. What we have seen are a couple examples of people getting around death, but not necessarily being healed; Birgitte and the resurrected Forsaken. If Rand is to come back from death, I expect it to be via something like one of these two methods, rather than being "healed" from death as such.

2. What's your evidence for their being a specific "essence" within Callandor that the Dragon is linked to? I know it was only possible for Rand to release it at first, not anyone else; is this what you're referring to?

Boberoo
04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I like this theory in part.

I could def. see Rand dying when Alivia, using Callandor, kills Moridin, which in turns kills Rand.

However, instead of being healed by callandor, what if rand is instead "brought back to life" when Mat blows the Horn?

i could totally see that happening, and would allow for him "to live, you must die"

Ishara
04-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Ah, but that leads to the issue of "Rand getting killed and being reborn through TaR" that Taer doesn't support, and is a different theory all together. ;)

After all, Heroes live in Tel'arand'rhiod when they're not busy being reborn. ;)

Sei'taer
04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Working right now, but when I get home I'll be able to reply to you all.

aleuthard
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I suspect Callandor was designed and will be used for the purpose of resealing the bore. There is no direct evidence I can find, but there is reference to many unknown flaws in it as a sa'angreal. I'm convinced it was designed without a buffer to allow The Dragon to pull a maximum amount of saidin, leading to his death. I'm guessing it was also designed to not allow blowback of the type that caused the Taint; a feature built in by women who saw the results of.the first attempt at sealing.

As for whether it allows Rand to live again or not...I think that will be more related to his dueling evil injuries

Flinn Sedai
04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
I have to say, I really like the idea of the flaw in Callandor allowing a soul to enter. It'd be a good way for Rand to come back (short of my preference of TAR), and keeps his soul safe from the Dark One. Even if Rand doesn't come back to life, it continues the whole dead but alive, which is mentioned at least 3 million times in the books.

Frenzy
04-25-2012, 01:41 AM
There's a difference between Mostly Dead and All Dead. This flaw may let Nynaeve play Miracle Max and bring Rand back to life and back to his three true loves.

It would work, but it seems almost too Scooby Doo-ish of an ending.

Lupusdeusest
04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
This is getting very close to Horcrux territory :D

Oden
04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
What chocolate coated pill will Nynaeve use?

SauceyBlueConfetti
04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
There's a difference between Mostly Dead and All Dead. This flaw may let Nynaeve play Miracle Max and bring Rand back to life and back to his three true loves.

It would work, but it seems almost too Scooby Doo-ish of an ending.

It is interesting though when you take into account the way Myrddraal blades are wrought at Thankan'dar...the soul of a person is used to temper the blade and give it evil and/or taint the weapon to the point of poison. The reverse could be true with Callandor; Rand's soul could be used somehow to strenghten the blade during the Last Battle.

Also calls to mind the blade Drangnipur from Malazan Book of the Fallen; souls are trapped within the actual blade (well, in simplified terms).

Weird Harold
04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Also calls to mind the blade Drangnipur from Malazan Book of the Fallen; souls are trapped within the actual blade (well, in simplified terms).

There is an older inspiration for fantasy swords that drink souls; one RJ would have been exposed to in his youth,as the elric saga was very popular with the Vietnam Era military.

Description

This powerful enchanted black blade is a member of a demon race that takes on the form of a sword, and as such is a force of Chaos. Stormbringer's edge is capable of cutting through virtually any material not protected by potent sorcery, and it can drink the soul from (and thereby kill) an unprotected human upon delivering any wound, even a scratch. Its most distinctive features are that it has a mind and will of its own, and that it feeds upon the souls of those it kills. Elric loathes the sword but is almost helpless without the strength and vitality it confers on him. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbringer)

Zombie Sammael
04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Is it then assumed that a Fade's sword kills in a similar way to Stormbringer, by draining the soul, and that Callandor, in storing the soul safely, is the opposite? I have to say I'd be more convinced if there was more apparent foreshadowing, but that's not to say I'd be overlooking it.

Good catch with Stormbringer, by the way, Weird Harold.

Flinn Sedai
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Is it then assumed that a Fade's sword kills in a similar way to Stormbringer, by draining the soul, and that Callandor, in storing the soul safely, is the opposite? I have to say I'd be more convinced if there was more apparent foreshadowing, but that's not to say I'd be overlooking it.

Good catch with Stormbringer, by the way, Weird Harold.

Do we have any evidence that a Fade's soul drains a soul? My understanding was just that it is like poison.

Zombie Sammael
04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Do we have any evidence that a Fade's soul drains a soul? My understanding was just that it is like poison.

Well, there are other things such as mashadar which kill instantly and drain the soul, so it's not a total leap. But it might just be an effect of the Shadow being destructive. I doubt Darkhounds drain the soul and they are supposedly insta-lethal as well.

Flinn Sedai
04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, there are other things such as mashadar which kill instantly and drain the soul, so it's not a total leap. But it might just be an effect of the Shadow being destructive. I doubt Darkhounds drain the soul and they are supposedly insta-lethal as well.

Well, Mashadar, definitely, and we do have evidence that Darkhounds consume souls, albeit indirectly, and only wolves.

I'm not saying that things of the Shadow can't drain souls. I'm just saying I don't know of any evidence that a Fade's blade can. For example, Mashadar victims are completely beyond healing, despite being outwardly alright. Fade's blades, though deadly, can be healed.

Zombie Sammael
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Well, Mashadar, definitely, and we do have evidence that Darkhounds consume souls, albeit indirectly, and only wolves.

I'm not saying that things of the Shadow can't drain souls. I'm just saying I don't know of any evidence that a Fade's blade can. For example, Mashadar victims are completely beyond healing, despite being outwardly alright. Fade's blades, though deadly, can be healed.

Actually, I just found a reference (whilst looking for something else) that the BWB says a Fadeblade is "seasoned with a human soul", so there's some evidence. :D

Flinn Sedai
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Actually, I just found a reference (whilst looking for something else) that the BWB says a Fadeblade is "seasoned with a human soul", so there's some evidence. :D

They sacrifice a human, while making the blade. That's what makes it deadly.

Zombie Sammael
04-25-2012, 06:05 PM
They sacrifice a human, while making the blade. That's what makes it deadly.

Doesn't that suggest to you that it is draining the soul at least at first, and that the deadliness is a result of it affecting the soul? It did to me, which may be why I thought of it in the first place.

Flinn Sedai
04-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Doesn't that suggest to you that it is draining the soul at least at first, and that the deadliness is a result of it affecting the soul? It did to me, which may be why I thought of it in the first place.

Oh, I understand now. I thought you had been saying that a Fade's blade, post-creation (the soul-seasoning being part of the creation), means it can consume a soul. That just seemed confusing, to me.

Also, who wants some soul-seasoning on their steak? Mmmmm

Tomp
04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Isn't it that they quench the blade in a human?

Ivhon
04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
There is an older inspiration for fantasy swords that drink souls; one RJ would have been exposed to in his youth,as the elric saga was very popular with the Vietnam Era military.

I miss Elric.....

Time for another re-read

Sei'taer
04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm not saying that Callandor carries a part of the Dragons soul. I'm saying that it knows him, remember, it calls to him in his dreams before he goes to the stone and takes it. Something in the sword, call it his essence (because that's the only way I can think to describe it) knows who the Dragon is. The same way the other sword in the stone knew who Arthur was.

Flinn Sedai
04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm not saying that Callandor carries a part of the Dragons soul. I'm saying that it knows him, remember, it calls to him in his dreams before he goes to the stone and takes it. Something in the sword, call it his essence (because that's the only way I can think to describe it) knows who the Dragon is. The same way the other sword in the stone knew who Arthur was.

Did Rand hear LTT before he took the sword?

neurotopia
04-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Is seizing the Eye of the World what allows Callandor to be grasped? Do we really know for sure if it was attuned to the dragon soul?

Do not taunt The Sword That Is Not A Sword.

Ivhon
04-25-2012, 08:26 PM

I thought Be'lal was calling Rand in his dreams.

Either way, I have always had a problem with how the dynamic of the Dragon Reborn and only the Dragon Reborn can draw the sword.

Seeker
04-25-2012, 08:32 PM
I think this is the second theory I've posed in my 12 years at TL.

At Jcon, I was sitting outside having a smoke on saturday and Maria came out. I had already told her that I was one TLer who wouldn't bother her with questions while she was out there, so she came and sat. After a few minutes someone came up and asked her a question about Callandor and it made me start thinking about things and I came up with a theory. The question was "Does Callandor have a buffer for women when being used during a link that protects the male channeler?"

The answer was a RAFO.

Anyway, this got me thinking and I talked to Tam a bit about it and also to Dai Shan and Yks.

Now, to get into this and give you my perspective on it. I hate the idea of Rand transfering to Moridins body, or of Rand getting killed and being reborn through TaR. I think it's too easy.

Here's my theory:

Alivia and Nyn will be linked with Rand to use Callandor. A woman has to meld the flows, and since Alivia is used to and very good in battle, she will be in control. During the fight with Moridin, ALivia kills Moridin and Rand also dies because of the link between he and Mor.

Now, there is a lot of foreshadowing all through the series about healing death. It can't be healed. We all know this, it's been stated over and over to the point that you can't ignore it anymore...Rand even tries it while using Callandor. We also know that when Rand was using Callandor, he had experiences wielding new and unfamiliar weaves with the power.

What if Alivia kills Moridin, and Rand in the process, and Callandor which obviously knows the Dragon and perhaps carries some of his essence, is able to help Nyn bring Rand back? Rand may be the only person who can be healed because of the essence that Callandor carries.

There is one really strong point in favour of this theory. If Callandor contains a small piece of Rand's soul (no doubt acquired from Lews Therin during the War of Power) then it would explain how the Aes Sedai were able to craft a weave that would keep everyone out but Rand when Rand would not be born for 3000 years.

phil01
04-26-2012, 05:43 AM
What if the flaw allows it to act as a sa'angreal for the true power (dark one can't remember which power it is) and it is moridin that uses it and draws all of the dark one into it (mins prophesy about the onyx hand and it holding all of his essence) which makes him vulnerable as Moridin can't handle that much of him and goes gaga and burns out then he is trapped in the sword.

Flinn Sedai
04-26-2012, 07:39 AM
What if the flaw allows it to act as a sa'angreal for the true power (dark one can't remember which power it is) and it is moridin that uses it and draws all of the dark one into it (mins prophesy about the onyx hand and it holding all of his essence) which makes him vulnerable as Moridin can't handle that much of him and goes gaga and burns out then he is trapped in the sword.

Personal feeling is that is probably not what will happen. For one, the Dark One seems to have direct control over how much of the TP (and you did get the Power right) you can access. A sa'angreal allows for you to hold more of the Power than you otherwise could. In order for it to work the way you describe, it would have to essentially wrest control of the True Power away from the Dark One.

We also don't really have any evidence (or maybe I missed it), that there is a limit on how much of the TP you can hold, except the limits that the Dark One imposes.

Moreover, how would Moridin get Callandor? Rand keeps it with him, and he's guarded all the time, usually with Aes Sedai too. With Randesus prepping for TG, it seems unlikely that Moridin is getting Callandor in any way, except prying it from Rand's cold, balefired, un-written-from-existence hand.

The onyx hand would almost certainly seem to be Rand's replacement hand.

yks 6nnetu hing
04-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Personal feeling is that is probably not what will happen. For one, the Dark One seems to have direct control over how much of the TP (and you did get the Power right) you can access. A sa'angreal allows for you to hold more of the Power than you otherwise could. In order for it to work the way you describe, it would have to essentially wrest control of the True Power away from the Dark One.

We also don't really have any evidence (or maybe I missed it), that there is a limit on how much of the TP you can hold, except the limits that the Dark One imposes.

Moreover, how would Moridin get Callandor? Rand keeps it with him, and he's guarded all the time, usually with Aes Sedai too. With Randesus prepping for TG, it seems unlikely that Moridin is getting Callandor in any way, except prying it from Rand's cold, balefired, un-written-from-existence hand.

The onyx hand would almost certainly seem to be Rand's replacement hand.

remember that (one of) Callandor's flaw is that it doesn't have the safeguard against drawing too much of the OP.

Flinn Sedai
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
remember that (one of) Callandor's flaw is that it doesn't have the safeguard against drawing too much of the OP.

Of course, but I don't see how that relates to what I said (I can be a bit blind sometimes).

Frenzy
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Either way, I have always had a problem with how the dynamic of the Dragon Reborn and only the Dragon Reborn can draw the sword.
Probably the same mechanics that let Rand and only Rand be marked with two tattoos by Rhuidean.

Ivhon
04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Probably the same mechanics that let Rand and only Rand be marked with two tattoos by Rhuidean.

Not sure I like those either, but at least with them we see that the markings can be made by anyone with the knowledge and power. Millennia-old weaves/ters specifically attuned to one person must rely on either the weavers/constructors knowing the genetic code of someone thousands of years in the future OR be able to attune to a specific soul hundreds of years dead (admittedly WAY behind on my knowledge and not very far into my reread, but I don't recall other evidence that this is possible, particularly by the light). Both seem kindof messy to me.

GonzoTheGreat
04-27-2012, 05:05 AM
LTT may not have been dead all that long (relatively speaking) when Callandor was locked away.
We know that it wasn't done yet a little under 80 years after the Sealing (from one of Rand's ancestral visions). But we also know from that same vision that a bunch of AS had the sword then, and were planning on doing what had to be done with it.

For AOL AS, 80 years (or a hundred) is a lot less than a lifetime, so it is likely that at least some of them could actually have known LTT while he was still alive. We also know that part of the wards were done with saidin, so they used at least one male AS, which once again puts it in the first part of the Breaking.

Oneirist
04-27-2012, 05:32 AM
I always assumed what allowed Rand specifically to take Callandor was something akin to the mechanism channelers employ to attune wards to themselves, like how Alviarin amd Siuan had some of their private notes and such warded to be destroyed should anyone but them try to read them.

Regarding Callandor's flaw, the onyx hand, Min believing it'll be used against him: I predict either Moridin or Demandred will steal it -- leaning toward Demandred, since it would mesh well with Mordred stealing Arthur's sword to use it against him at Camlann -- and I figure he'll have a few moments of glory before being undone by the effects of not using it in a ring and deferring to a woman.

GonzoTheGreat
04-27-2012, 06:01 AM
It is possible to use two (or more) angreal or sa'angreal at once. (Rand did that while fighting Asmodean for the Choedan Kal.)

So if someone were to use a buffered angreal and Callandor both, would that protect against overdrawing or not?
Could be a fairly relevant question here, if Demandred is the one who nicked the fat little man angreal.

Weird Harold
04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
LTT may not have been dead all that long (relatively speaking) when Callandor was locked away.
For AOL AS, 80 years (or a hundred) is a lot less than a lifetime, so it is likely that at least some of them could actually have known LTT while he was still alive.

I always assumed what allowed Rand specifically to take Callandor was something akin to the mechanism channelers employ to attune wards to themselves, like how Alviarin and Siuan had some of their private notes and such warded to be destroyed should anyone but them try to read them.

Rand has a unique ancestry being half Aeil and half Andoran -- an ancestry Foretold in various prophecies. The wards on Callandor probably do have a functional relationship to personalized wards -- most probably having to do with Rand's unique ancestry and the markers within his blood and bone that define that ancestry.

Alternatively, the wards recognized Rand's Soul as LTT's Soul, but that would have required the
AS to know LTT more than casually.

However the Wards functioned, they were probably placed by rote -- a Foretelling that said "Place Wards thus and so" -- without any real knowledge of either LTT or Rand required by those who placed the Wards.

Weird Harold
04-27-2012, 08:09 AM
So if someone were to use a buffered angreal and Callandor both, would that protect against overdrawing or not?

Not.

GonzoTheGreat
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Not.
What evidence do you have?

Consider the limit: an angreal without a buffer that allows you to draw zero extra saidin (ie. a stick), and the fat little man angreal. If Rand tried to use both, then according to your idea he could now overdraw himself, which he couldn't do if he dropped the stick, even though that does absolutely nothing at all.

I know that example is not conclusive either, but it does show that it isn't quite as simple as you seem to be assuming.

Weird Harold
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
What evidence do you have?

Logic.

A buffer in one angreal can't control what you do with another. Each angreal can only control the flow through itself and every other angreal is a separate system.

In theory, it should be possible to draw too much OP by using two angreal whether they are buffered or not -- draw on one to the maximum and any draw from the second will be more than can be handled.

GonzoTheGreat
04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
But with that logic, using an angreal to draw more than you can draw unaided would already be lethal. So obviously, the angreal somehow already provides a buffer for the entire system (human plus angreal). Thus, it is not at all obvious that if you have a fully functional buffer (as would be in an ordinary angreal) in the system, then you couldn't also safely use Callandor.

For instance, when using it in a circle, the circle itself provides that buffer. If you were correct, then Callandor still wouldn't be safe in a circle, yet it is.

aleuthard
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
All this seems to assume the AS made Callandor. Finns. The AS bargained for the creation of answers to the Dark One, Taint, prophecy, etc. The Finn gave them a caravan load of angrael and said "There ya go. The price is that no one else can ask about the Shadow." Callandor was put where prophesy said, the rest trusted with the Aiel.

So the AS never knew what to do with any of this stuff. Callandor, the Ruinden stuff, doorways, etc. All they knew was that the solutions were there.

How's that for plausible Dues Ex Machina?

Weird Harold
04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
So obviously, the angreal somehow already provides a buffer for the entire system (human plus angreal).

An angreal buffers the power drawn through it. It has no control over power drawn through another path. I don't recall any example of a Channeler drawing OP through and angreal and through an un-aided path; with one angreal, all power used flows through the buffer.

For instance, when using it in a circle, the circle itself provides that buffer. If you were correct, then Callandor still wouldn't be safe in a circle, yet it is.

Callandor isn't safe in just any circle; Callandor is safe only in a 1M2F Circle where the male cannot lead the circle. Presumably a woman must lead the circle because the buffering of a circle doesn't apply to the leader -- the only protection explicitly stated is against involuntary drawing more than can be handled.

...The Finn gave them a caravan load of angrael

One minor problem with your idea, Rand's Trip into the history of the Aeil showed that the "caravan load of angreal" came from AS stockpiles in Paaren Disen

RJ also said that the lack of buffer in Callandor was "a manufacturing defect" caused by the press of AS making as many angreal as fast as possible.

aleuthard
04-28-2012, 12:29 PM
The caravan quote was from the point of view of an Ancient Aiel, not an omniscient or AS source. RJ's quote kills my idea. I have to read more interviews.

Figbiscuit
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
A couple of initial thoughts/questions:

2. What's your evidence for their being a specific "essence" within Callandor that the Dragon is linked to? I know it was only possible for Rand to release itat first, not anyone else; is this what you're referring to?

Without reading through the whole thread, am I really the only person who caught this?

Zombie Sammael
04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Without reading through the whole thread, am I really the only person who caught this?

I'm not sure quite what you're referring to, but I don't see how the fact that only Rand could release it necessarily implies something specific within the sword itself. A complex and specific ward seems more likely to me.

Weiramon
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to,

Burn my soul, I believe you'll find the explanation to be quite a . . . catharsis.

Figbiscuit
05-01-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to, but I don't see how the fact that only Rand could release it necessarily implies something specific within the sword itself. A complex and specific ward seems more likely to me.

Ahem. Never mind then :o

Zombie Sammael
05-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Burn my soul, I believe you'll find the explanation to be quite a . . . catharsis.

Ahem. Never mind then :o

You two have filthy minds. Filthy.

GonzoTheGreat
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
As Oscar Wilde already said: a dirty mind is a joy forever.

Figbiscuit
05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
You two have filthy minds. Filthy.

:cool:

bluestar
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Thoughts on Callandor being used to re-seal the Bore:

After rereading ToM, Iíve been thinking about a few of the remarks regarding Callandor. This is purely wild speculation, but was considering if anyone had any thoughts about it.

The thing that got me thinking was the viewing Min had in ToM Chapter 51, ďA glowing sword, Callandor, being gripped in a black hand.Ē Iíve seen some question as to whether this a new forged hand for Rand or something else. One possibility I was considering is that it may be the hand of Moridin. Min seems to believe that there is a deeper flaw to Callandor and that it would be used against Rand. The first flaw that we see is that Callandor requires a circle with two women wielding Saidar to maintain control as it lacks the normal buffer as described by Cadsuane in PoD Ch27. In essence this means Callandor will be wielded with both Saidar and Saidin. What if the other flaw that Min senses is that it can also use the True Power, after all Cadsuane said that the flaw magnified the Taint on Saidin. A logical choice for someone using the True Power with Callandor against Rand would be Moridin.

Another passage that relates to this would be the Dark Prophecy from the ToM Epilogue, specifically the line ďIn that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who
will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come.Ē There has been debate whether the First Among Vermin refers to Rand or to Moridin. It could be seen as Rand breaking the seals on the Bore, after all it mentions both Perrin and Mat in this line, so one would assume the third reference would be Rand. However, if Moridin did somehow manage to wrest Callandor from Randís grip in Shayol Ghul, and instead use it to try to open the Bore further as opposed to sealing it, he would in effect be the black hand wielding the blade against Rand and the First Among Vermin lifting his hand to free the Dark One. Fainís interference may be just what causes Moridin to gain the edge and take Callandor and may also be the cause of Randís blood staining the rocks of Shayol Ghul, thus fulfilling the Gollum connection that some have made with Fain.

My thought on how this could end up resealing the Bore is in the nature of Callandorís flaw, that it requires two women channeling Saidar and a male channeling Saidin to be controlled. If Rand maintains his circle with the two Aes Sedai after losing Callandor, his strange link to Moridin may draw Moridin into the circle with them, thus creating a circle of Saidar, Saidin and the True Power, wielded through Callandor. This fulfills the other prophecy from TGS, Ch48 ďHe shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one.Ē With Callandorís flaw, as Moridin tries to open the bore, too late he discovers that control of the circle belongs to one of the women, as it did when Narishma was linked to Elza and Merise in WH Ch35. Especially if that woman is Moiraine, the woman who Min saw Rand would fail without in ACoS Ch35. This allows the woman to seal the bore with all three powers. The use of the True Power could prevent the Dark One from again tainting Saidar and Saidin as it acts as a buffer against the Dark Oneís taint. The aftermath of the sealing, whether some or all of those involved either live or die and whether or not Fain ends up sealed in the prison with the Dark One is debatable.

GonzoTheGreat
05-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Maybe Fain will get his hands on Callandor. Wouldn't it be fun if that blade also enhanced his mad power?

Zombie Sammael
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Something has to touch the Dark One... what if it is the One Power, but contained within Callandor? The known flaws could therefore actually allow this to happen safely, since only Callandor would be tainted by any counterstroke and not the source itself. This might also fulfil the Callandor in an Onyx fist prophecy. I need to look into this... Willow, fetch my books!