PDA

View Full Version : 20/20

Sei'taer
08-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Did anyone see the episode tonight about Memphis? It was pretty good at exposing a problem that has been ongoing in my area of the world. I don't agree with some of the people (and don't like a couple on a personal level) they talked to, but they are entitled to their opinions. If you didn't get to see it you might look it up. It's titled Babyland.

It's near and dear to my heart because I've been donating money to the Med's neonatal/premature birth facility for the last ten years or so. Unfortunately, because of the hard times right now I'm sure donations will go down although I am trying very hard to keep mine at the same level it has been.

Sarevok
08-23-2008, 02:34 AM
20/20
Did anyone see the episode tonight about Memphis?
Uhm... could you translate for those that don't know what you're talking about?

GonzoTheGreat
08-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Memphis exists, that's a problem (particular in Sei's area of the world).

Didn't seem all that hard to translate, to be honest.

Sei'taer
08-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Uhm... could you translate for those that don't know what you're talking about?

There's a news magazine show on ABC called 20/20...it's sort of like 60 minutes. Last night they were talking about the high mortality rate of infants in the inner city here. I was merely asking if anyone had watched it because it was a really good show. The episode was called Babyland. Here's an article (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=5627305&page=4). There's some video, but I figured y'all could find that on your own if you wanted to watch it.

I've met Dr. Korones several times. He did some diagnosis on my daughter when she started regressing with Rett Syndrome. He's an incredibly intelligent and unbeleiveably giving man. Here's one of his quotes from the story:

"I was angry. I'm still angry," he said. "The situation hasn't changed much at all. Wherever there is a high concentration of Afro-Americans -- Washington, D.C., Memphis, Tennessee, New Orleans, you name it -- there is a higher infant mortality rate. So is it a racial issue? It seems to be preponderant among black babies, this proclivity to death."

I also know Wendi Thomas. She is a close aquaintance, I guess you could say. We agreed to disagree several years back on some issues because it was clear that our friends were getting tired of our politically charged arguments everytime we get together. She was one of the reasons I asked on here a while back if blacks could be racists. She seems to think that it's impossible, while I think that it is completely possible. One thing we do agree on is the failures of the Memphis mayor...the piece of crap who has done zero for our city, led us into a deficit bigger than the entire state of Tennessee, and believes he was a gift from God to our city (there's an actual quote stating that exact thing).

Anyway, thats what it was all about Sare.