PDA

View Full Version : TGH: Ch. 12 - Verin Manipulations Cont'

Tamyrlin
05-13-2012, 01:03 PM
TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 12 - Woven in the Pattern
"Is there one? A pit, I mean?" "Obviously not so far," Verin said, tilting her head. "But the next step?" She shrugged. "You see, child, the more you try to touch the True Source, the more you try to channel the One Power, the easier it becomes to actually do it. Yes, in the beginning, you stretch out to the Source and more often than not it is like grasping at air. Or you actually to channel saidar, but even when you feel the One Power flowing through you, you find you can do nothing with it. Or you do something, and it isn't what you intended at all. That is the danger. Usually, with guidance and training - and the girl's own fear slowing her down - the ability to touch the Source and the ability to channel the Power come together with the ability to control what she is doing. But you began trying to channel without anyone there to teach you any control at all of what you do. I know you don't think you're very far along, and you are not, but you are like someone who has taught herself to run up hills-sometimes, at least-without ever learning how to run down the other side, or to walk. Sooner or later you are going to fall, if you don't learn the rest of it. Now, I am not talking about anything like what happens when one of those poor men begins channeling-you will not go mad; you won't die, not with sisters to teach and guide you-but what might you do entirely by accident, never meaning to?" For an instant the vagueness had dropped from Verin's eyes. For an instant, it seemed, the Aes Sedai's gaze had flicked from Egwene to Nynaeve as sharply as the Amyrlin's had. "Your innate abilities are strong, child, and they will grow stronger. You must learn to control them before you harm yourself, or someone else, or a great many people. That is what Moiraine was trying to teach you. That is what I will try to help you with tonight, and what a sister will help you with every night until we put you into Sheriam's most capable hands. She is Mistress of Novices."

TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 12 - Woven in the Pattern
Egwene thought, Can she know about Rand? It isn't possible. She'd never have let him leave Fal Dara if she even suspected. But she was sure she had not imagined what she saw. "Thank you, Verin Sedai. I will try."

Verin does this vagueness to sharpness on purpose, as in, when she wants the observer to pay attention to her. She is actively telling Egwene she knows about Rand, I'd assume, for a variety of reasons. She wants her to think, she wants her to question Verin's loyalties.

But most importantly: If she knows about Rand and Rand is still free, then Verin is a friend.

Ishara
05-14-2012, 06:59 AM
You brought this up at the Con, and I really liked the angle - that Verin deliberately created mistrust with the girls (and with Moiraine and Suian) in situations such as these to try to encourage them to trust no one but themselves, to raise suspicions abuot Aes Sedai, even those in positions of trust and power - all in an attempt to ensure that they safeguarded themselves from her and from people like her (other Blacks with less noble intentions).

She *was* a friend to them, but protected herself and them from her having to act against them by planting these little seeds...

Tamyrlin
07-31-2012, 11:32 AM
TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 27 - Tel'aran'rhiod
Verin had come into the kitchens after the midday meal, blinking as if she were not sure why she was there. When she saw Egwene and the other two on their knees among the cauldrons and kettles, she looked surprised for a moment, then walked over and asked, loud enough for anyone to hear, "Have you found anything?"

TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 27 - Tel'aran'rhiod
Verin nodded as if that were the answer she had been seeking. "Well, keep looking." She peered around the kitchen again, frowning as though puzzled to find herself there, and left.

I wonder if she felt as though the girls were too trusting of her still, because this one is pretty blatant.