PDA

View Full Version : GRRM

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Read the Rolling Stone articles about Peter Dinklage (thumbs up!) and GRRM (thumbs down!) this weekend. I dislike the man more and more, I need to stop reading anything where he speaks about the real world.

Just to make sure everyone is in the loop, he says he is only 200 pages (if that) complete on the next book and expects it to be 1500 pages.

So don't get your hopes up for another book, at least for, uuuuuh, six years or so???

Davian93
05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Read the Rolling Stone articles about Peter Dinklage (thumbs up!) and GRRM (thumbs down!) this weekend. I dislike the man more and more, I need to stop reading anything where he speaks about the real world.

Just to make sure everyone is in the loop, he says he is only 200 pages (if that) complete on the next book and expects it to be 1500 pages.

So don't get your hopes up for another book, at least for, uuuuuh, six years or so???

Not a shock by any means. He'll die before he finishes it.

Zombie Sammael
05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
I completely agree with the sentiment that GRRM is not my bitch, but when you start writing an epic fantasy series, knowing there will be multiple prequels, not having a good work ethic to complete it could be described as treating your readers shabbily. At the end of the day, your readers are your customers, and if you treat them and your work with the contempt GRRM seems to have, then you deserve what you get, whether that's emotional outbursts or ultimately everyone giving up on the books - or a successful TV series that ends up having to make up the final direction of the story. I hope the recent health scares and TV show have led to him making more copious notes on where it goes from here than he had last time I heard about it.

Terez
05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Last time he was asked? I saw a recent interview where he said he had tons of notes.

SauceyBlueConfetti
05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Not a shock by any means. He'll die before he finishes it.

Part of what annoys me is he discusses this in almost every interview and, imo, makes snarky comments that are directed toward the RJ camp decisions.

Classless.

Davian93
05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Part of what annoys me is he discusses this in almost every interview and, imo, makes snarky comments that are directed toward the RJ camp decisions.

Classless.

He's a POS...this is known.

Terez
05-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Examples?

Dragon Thief
05-30-2012, 02:03 AM
I remember reading an article that said GRRM's (second) worst flaw was that he gives himself absolutely horrible PR. I've tried googling it, but it's been a couple (more?) years since I read it and I don't remember enough to find it. Grrr.

Parts of it mentioned that he doesn't talk about writing on his blog, nor give status updates, etc, so it appears he doesn't do any writing. Combine that with the fact that's he slow as all rhymes-with-puck, and it just exasperates the issue.

Of course, enough people either don't mind the wait and still buy his book (or do hate the wait but buy the book) that the ill will doesn't really mean much. Combine that with the surge of popularity HBO has to have given his books and it likely appears he's doing as best as he ever had.

I can only hope that the HBO show catches up to him and he contractually gets screwed, but I'm a vicious vindictive bastard.

Birgitte
05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I gave up on him before Feast of Crows came out. And then RS convinced me to read Feast of Crows and it only reinforced my decision. I just don't care where the story is going anymore. Twenty years from now when it is finally finished, some one will tell me and I'll go, "Huh. So that's what happened," and that will be all there is for me. The first few books weren't all that good to begin with, if you ask me. I require at least one character I really like, instead of a bunch of assholes and morons with the occasional person I don't hate immediately.

DahLliA
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
if I want to get depressed reading a book I'll read something from the real world :p

Cortar
05-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Why do fandoms fight so much? Especially when the authors of them are pretty cool with each other:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/21250.html

Without RJ's help GRRM might not have ever been discovered. I have never seen any ill will from GRRM towards RJ, why do we all inject it?

On a different note, I like GRRM, because his stories are interesting and a different kind of fantasy than the WoT, but with this latest book (a dance with dragons) I am getting kind of annoyed

He keeps bringing people back from the dead..... Its really annoying. Once or twice is fine but anymore and it gets old. Dead or Alive, choose one. (if Jon comes back to life, or doesn't die I will be seriously mad). Also anything with the Dragon Lady (I cant spell her real name) is getting too obnoxious for me, her plot feels REALLY REALLY stretched out.

All of that aside I still like his stories. His characters are mean and bad, yet you still come to like many of them. You realize how much of your opinion of a character is influenced by viewpoint. I still like WoT much more and I feel like SoIaF would be much better as a 4-5 set series, not a long, drawn out epic like WoT

Terez
05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Why do fandoms fight so much? Especially when the authors of them are pretty cool with each other...
It's something like a team sports mentality. Some people dabble in multiple fandoms, but most have one they care about more than the others. I had an Erikson quote in my sig for a while at Malazan, and he commented on it, saying "It's not a competition, mates..." And he was right. I let myself get sucked into that once or twice at Malazan, but only because they made me angry, pretending like RJ's writing was objectively flawed in this way and that without recognizing that the same could be said for Erikson's writing, for different reasons. They gave up at COT (or sooner; often much sooner) and cited that as evidence that WoT is not worth keeping up with, never recognizing that many more people give up on Malazan, for different reasons. That, to them, is evidence that Malazan is not for the weak, and therefore inherently superior to WoT. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Zombie Sammael
05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
"Malazan is not for the weak". What an immature and pathetic statement. I gave up on LE Modessitt's "The Sopranao Sorceress" when I was 13; does that mean I was too "weak" for it? We all choose to read fantasy rather than constant James Joyce and Salman Rushdie; by that logic aren't we all a bit weak?

For the record, I've just finished Malazan 1. I'm a little unsure of it but I've decided I'll press on, on the basis that I've been told the middle is awesome.

Terez
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I haven't finished it yet, but that's because I need a reread. I needed it when I read book 8 and didn't have time; by the time 9 came out I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up any longer without a reread.

Mort
05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
They gave up at COT (or sooner; often much sooner) and cited that as evidence that WoT is not worth keeping up with, never recognizing that many more people give up on Malazan, for different reasons. That, to them, is evidence that Malazan is not for the weak, and therefore inherently superior to WoT. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Everyone needs to confirm to themselves (damn it, I want to use another word than confirm but can't think of it) why they are doing what they do. Set them apart from the "others". Some WoT fan freaks probably have similar mindsets towards those who dislike or have given up on WoT, and are preaching to another "god". :)

Figbiscuit
05-31-2012, 11:13 AM

He should never have let the plot get away from him *shakes head*

Terez
06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Everyone needs to confirm to themselves (damn it, I want to use another word than confirm but can't think of it)
Probably 'validate'. They essentially mean the same thing, but 'validate' is more often used in this context.