PDA

View Full Version : Wolfbrothers

Davidus Tertius Rex
06-05-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm partway through EotW as part of my pre-AMoL reread; specifically, when Perrin and Egwene first meet Elyas. During their conversation, Elyas mentions that it's been a long time since the last Wolfbrother.

From TEotW, Chapter 23: Wolfbrother
"They [the wolves] were glad to find me. They say it's been a long time since they hunted with men, and when they say a long time, the feeling I get is like a cold wind howling all the way down from the First Day."

That got me thinking. By 'a long time', do the wolves simply mean that the last Wolfbrothers existed back in the last Third Age, or do they mean an era even further back? Is this something that hasn't happened in a great many Turnings, something that distinguishes this Turning from ones that have come before?

GonzoTheGreat
06-05-2012, 05:54 AM
I think that it happens every Turn of the Wheel, but not in every Age. The last Wolfbrother may have died somewhere in the previous Fourth or Fifth Age, which would mean that thousands, or more likely tens of thousands, of generations of wolfs had passed since then.

If either Perrin or Elyas survives TG, then at least one Wolfbrother would exist in the Fourth Age.

Aulis Vaara
06-06-2012, 02:50 AM
"Since the First Day" may imply there's some truth to the whole "dreaming up a new world in T'A'R" theory.

But yeah, since this age is no different from any other third age, wolfbrothers probably only exist at the end of the third age and a maybe a little beyond.

Frenzy
06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
If either Perrin or Elyas survives TG, then at least one Wolfbrother would exist in the Fourth Age.
They're not the only ones. There is another.

GonzoTheGreat
06-13-2012, 03:34 AM
They're not the only ones. There is another.
Yeah, but I don't think that one would stand much chance against a Trolloc, let alone a Myrddraal, so I'm not counting on Noam surviving TG.

Boli
06-13-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm pretty sure Noam is dead; he lives on in the wolf dream, yes but he died.