PDA

View Full Version : TGH: Ch. 48 - Break all Oaths, Shatter all Ties

Tamyrlin
06-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Just a theme I want to follow as I read, the breaking of bonds, shattering ties, and forging chains. This relates to much regarding the Aiel, Aes Sedai, the Seals, the Dark One, etc.

TITLE: Great Hunt
CHAPTER: 49 - What Was Meant To Be
"It is said," the one-eyed man said carefully, "that when the Dragon is Reborn, he will break all oaths, shatter all ties. Nothing holds us, now. We would give our oaths to you." He drew his sword and laid it before him, hilt toward Rand, and the rest of the Shienarans did the same.

“And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from out of the places where we live in silence. The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.”

TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 6 - What chains has he broken, and who put into chains?

Great Lord of the Dark
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
While this theme exists in some small form throughout the series, the chaos it represents is a major part of the theme of Book 6, and that's where you'll feel like it is pervasive. So much so that you think it's prevalent throughout the series, but it is concentrated there.

The Unreasoner
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't know if anyone is still pulling for linear time, but I think this was always the strongest argument for it:
The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.
On the more general theme of 'breaking', I always interpreted this to mean a complete Breaking of the World, which Rand (and Nynaeve) remake in T'A'R. After all, what is reality/physical laws but oaths and bonds (of a sort)?

GonzoTheGreat
06-07-2012, 03:27 AM
I never before drew the conclusion that it's foretold that the DR will remove the Three Oaths. Interesting, that.

Great Lord of the Dark
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Taking that a step further, everyone could be freed from all thing sthat bind them, so that in the Last Battle, every person can look deep in thir heart and choose which side they will be on. I think the ability to choose to oppose the Dark One is an important thematic element of the series.