PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Mistborn

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I haven't read it, so no spoilers, please.

I have read Way of Kings (about three or four times now) and love it. I also love Sanderson's writing in WoT.
Do I *need* to read Mistborn? Are there audiobooks (because I rarely get much time to just sit and read these days)?
How many books are there now?
Wasn't one of them free to download somewhere a while ago?

Zombie Sammael
06-10-2012, 09:57 AM
So far, there are three books in the main series, plus one "outrigger" set several hundred years after the main series that appears to be setting the scene for further sequels. I think Brandon said he planned a "trilogy of trilogies" set in the world.

You don't have to read it, but I would suggest that if you like Brandon's writing you ought to. They are not quite as refined as his work on WOK or on WOT, but are nevertheless a good story. There's an awful lot of the main character of Mistborn, Vin, in Shallan from WOK. And of course, there are more tidbits about the cosmere in them if you care about that.

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Oh Shallan.. She annoyed me quite a bit throughout the book, but I think she has some badass potential coming up. I need another Stormlight archives book :(

Zombie Sammael
06-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh Shallan.. She annoyed me quite a bit throughout the book, but I think she has some badass potential coming up. I need another Stormlight archives book :(

I think the general opinion is that Mistborn is a better stopover for people interested in Stormlight than Elantris or Warbreaker, but I haven't personally read the latter two yet. After Mistborn I was a bit Brandon Sanderson-d out.

Birgitte
06-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I like Mistborn a lot. I've read the trilogy a few times now. I gotta say, Vin is WAY more badass than Shallan. And Mistborn is just fun. Easy dialogue, interesting characters, neat magic... Fun.

Zombie Sammael
06-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I like Mistborn a lot. I've read the trilogy a few times now. I gotta say, Vin is WAY more badass than Shallan. And Mistborn is just fun. Easy dialogue, interesting characters, neat magic... Fun.

Vin in the first half of Mistborn 1 is about as badass as Shallan all the way through WOK. Vin gets progressively more badass as the series goes on. I expect Shallan to undergo a similar development.

utinbaho
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
too detailed magic. i like stormlight better, thats the best magic in all of fantasy.

Ieyasu
07-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I did not like the mistborn trilogy, however I did like the western outrigger. A nice tribute to steampunk... but the main trilogy felt too formula for my tastes. I think it makes a great read for the teenage demographic. If you like dragonlance/forgotten realms stories then you will love the mistborn trilogy.

WoK was great, but I thought Warbreaker was total garbage.

Never bothered with Elantris.