PDA

View Full Version : Who named Dragonmount?

Great Lord of the Dark
06-12-2012, 08:20 AM
My friend 'Hateblog' is listening to the audiobooks for his reread, and asks:

Who named Dragonmount?

Lews Therin was miles away from any other living person. Ishamael was present but about to be pulled into the Seals. We have not seen the name Dragonmount in the Prophecies, but it is plausible that the name comes from there.

Any other thoughts?

Davian93
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Perhaps there were foretellings that spoke of it that we're unaware of.

Perhaps the AoL AS did some CSI Paaren Disen work on the remains of the site and it had his signature weaving pattern for saidin.

Perhaps it was strong enough that they felt the channeling even at a great distance (a good possibility) and were able to quickly reconstruct what happened...the number of male channelers who could cause that much destruction is probably counted on one hand...even back then.

The Prophecies is also a possibility.

Its also possible that its just a random name that was not so random. Afterall, we have Kinslayers Dagger to the SE of it (by a couple hundred miles). Maybe they went around naming major new mountains after him to mark the destruction caused by his decision to go ahead with the Strike.

Oneirist
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
That female Aes Sedai that took some sa'angreal from the Da'shain claimed Ishamael was still loose, and by that time the Breaking was well under way, so it could've been him.

Davian93
06-12-2012, 08:47 AM
That female Aes Sedai that took some sa'angreal from the Da'shain claimed Ishamael was still loose, and by that time the Breaking was well under way, so it could've been him.

It would make sense...it would also make sense that Ishy would advertise how LTT murdered his entire family so it wouldn't be blamed on the Shadow. It was far more destructive to the Light to have its greatest hero renamed Kinslayer afterall.

Zombie Sammael
06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Robert Jordan, duh.

Davian93
06-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Robert Jordan, duh.

Yeah, I'm going to need a quote on that. It could very well have been Harriet in the editing process.

GonzoTheGreat
06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm going to need a quote on that. It could very well have been Harriet in the editing process.
Or Asmodean in the pantry.

Tomp
06-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I'd say that someone probably had a foretelling when LTT died, similar to when Rand was born.

Since LTT drew so much of the power other male AS would sense it and tell others of the location, maybe even travel there directly afterwards.
The other male AS had not gone completely bananas yet and would probably interact with female AS.
I'd say that people would know that something big had happened with the power within a day and within a week most would have heard about LTTs death.

I can't give you a name on the person fist naming it Dragonmount. It was probably named "the Dragons mountain" for several years before being truncated into Dragonmount.

Of course this is all speculation based on logical assumptions, I hope.

DahLliA
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Perhaps the AoL AS did some CSI Paaren Disen work on the remains of the site and it had his signature weaving pattern for saidin.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/21914385.jpg

WinespringBrother
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Great Hunt CHAPTER: 8 - The Dragon Reborn
Moiraine had paused for him, but now her unchanging voice cut him off, soft and relentless. "The Karaethon Cycle, the Prophecies of the Dragon, says that the Dragon will be reborn on the slopes of Dragonmount, where he died during the Breaking of the World. Gitara Sedai had the Foretelling sometimes. She was old, her hair as white as the snow outside, but when she had the Foretelling, it was strong. The morning light through the windows was strengthening as I handed her a cup of tea. The Amyrlin Seat asked me what news there was from the field of battle. And Gitara Sedai started up out of her chair, her arms and legs rigid, trembling, her face as if she looked into the Pit of Doom at Shayol Ghul, and she cried out, 'He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slope of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!' And she fell forward into my arms, dead."
"I - am - Rand - al'Thor!" His legs trembled. "And so we knew the Dragon was Reborn," Moiraine went on. "The Amyrlin swore us to secrecy, we two, for she knew not all the sisters would see the Rebirth as it must be seen. She set us to searching. There were many fatherless children after that battle. Too many. But we found a story, that one man had found an infant on the mountain. That was all. A man and an infant boy. So we searched on. For years we searched, finding other clues, poring over the Prophecies. 'He will be of the ancient blood, and raised by the old blood.' That was one; there were others. But there are many places where the old blood, descended from the Age of Legends, remains strong. Then, in the Two Rivers, where the old blood of Manetheren seethes still like a river in flood, in Emond's Field, I found three boys whose namedays were within weeks of the battle at Dragonmount. And one of them can channel. Did you think Trollocs came after you just because you are ta'veren? You are the Dragon Reborn."

1. Moiraine knew that the Dragon Reborn would be born on the slopes of Dragonmount, according to the uncorrupted Karatheon Cycle.

2. Moiraine figured out that Rand was born on the slopes of the mountain SW of Tar Valon, after the Blood Snow, and eventually tracked him down after nearly two decades.

3. Moiraine retconned the name Dragonmount onto that mountain.

Simple!