PDA

View Full Version : Reddit and their Education on WoT

Chazle
06-23-2012, 03:40 PM
First, this might be on the wrong board. My bad, move as needed.

Second, I'd like to mention something to you wonderful Theorylanders....I am a lurker, have been for a really long time. I've learned a lot from reading these boards and threads and theories. I feel like I understand WoT much better because of you guys and girls.

There exists this land called Reddit. If you're familiar with it, awesome, if not...well, what it is isn't really important.

www.reddit.com/r/wot

There's a community on reddit that discusses WoT pretty constantly, but I continually find their lack of knowledge astounding. Every chance I get, I try to direct people to come to Theoryland. But honestly, I feel like it would be a bigger help if some of you were active over there.

The post that prompted me to finally post over here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/vgy9r/theres_a_blank_in_the_blight_probable_spoilers/

But ya. It'd be cool if there were some more knowledgable people around there.

Terez
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I thought about it briefly because it would make it easier for me to stalk Brandon's activities there for the interview database...but Reddit is really counterintuitive for me, and the people there mostly annoy me. It seems like there are more trolls on Reddit than most places.

Zombie Sammael
06-24-2012, 06:30 AM
I thought about it briefly because it would make it easier for me to stalk Brandon's activities there for the interview database...but Reddit is really counterintuitive for me, and the people there mostly annoy me. It seems like there are more trolls on Reddit than most places.

I've noticed that the more mainstream a site is, the more trolls it attracts. Places which fit a smaller, "niche" community like TL, or where you're free to create your own network like Twitter or Facebook, are relatively "safe" from at least the new definition of trolling if not the old. Given Reddit has a much wider user base than fansites, I wouldn't be surprised to find it has more of both kinds of troll.

Terez
06-24-2012, 06:46 AM
I've noticed that the more mainstream a site is, the more trolls it attracts.
Yes, I noticed that as well. YouTube is worse.

Crispin's Crispian
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
One of my favorite things about reddit is the tendency for threads to go hilariously off-track. I guess it could get annoying, but I think most people understand that it's just expected. Plus any unpleasant trolls are downvoted pretty quickly.

I'm not a redditor, at least not registered. I just got there to read funny stuff. :p

Heinz
06-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Talk about being different from TL. Not sure I ever saw a quote or other bit of substantiation for ideas. And some are out there enough I'd really like to know where the heck they got the idea from. Closest one came was to refer to a Jordan quote, but not to provide it.

Lots of newbies to WoT too, which is kind of interesting to see. We don't get many of them here. Even the lurkers/occasional posters like myself have generally been through the series many times before, and have read a lot on here.

In light of the recent discussions over Demandred, this thread was really.. interesting. http://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/v772g/theories_on_demandred/?sort=old

Terez
06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
See, if I were to respond at all to that thread, there would be at least 10 things I'd have to correct, and somehow I get the feeling that it wouldn't be appreciated.

frenchie
06-28-2012, 09:46 PM
That thing is worse than the one Facebook group I'm in. I want no parts of that debacle.