PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to get back in to the series

Fruzzlegumpf
06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Would any of you guys help me out?

I read The Eye of the World when I was in High School about 9 years ago (I can't actually believe it's been that long!)

After that I started the Great Hunt but only got about 100 pages in before I put it down. After about a year I picked it back up and read The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, and The Shadow Rising all within a few weeks, and started The Fires of Heaven. I have had periodic reading sessions of the Fires of Heaven since then, but haven't actually made it through the whole book.

One of the reasons why it's hard for me to make it through the entire series is because I am already a detail-oriented person, and Robert Jordan's exorbitant and dizzying attention to detail has me reading in to details that don't matter and so I lose sight of the main story.

When I heard that the final book was coming out next year, it really made me want to finish the series (I figure it will take me about a year to get to that spot)

I need help though.

Many of the events of EoTW are largely lost on me due to the fact that I read it so long ago. Likewise, my reading of Fires of Heaven has been so disjointed over the past several years that I have no idea where the book is going. I know some people's advice (and it is good advice) would be to read all the books again up to the point that I'm at. I'm taking the easier way out. Would anyone be willing to help me re-cap?

The last scene I read in the Fires of Heaven was when the women met Galad as a Whitecloak in the city where there were a ton of riots going on and the man who was cursing in front of Nynaeve. The last thing I remember was Galad carving his way through the angry people with his sword.

Zombie Sammael
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
There are some quite detailed plot summaries over at eWOT (http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/). That's a great place to start. I would say that if you make it all the way through - which you might struggle with a bit given how heavy the detail becomes - you'll want to go back and read the books you read a while back anyway, but most of the books as of around TFOH are written with it in mind that the reader may be someone who hasn't read the preceding volumes at all, let alone for a while, so you'll probably be okay. I'd also advise that a lot of that detail you feel bogged down by can actually be quite important later on, so don't feel bad about spending a bit of time over it if that's how you prefer to read.

Fruzzlegumpf
06-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Dude thank you so much!!! This Encyclopedia wheel of time is awesome!!! IT is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!!!

Weiramon
06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Burn my soul, don't let this young lad know about anything else (http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm).

Random Man
07-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Burn my soul, don't let this young lad know about anything else (http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm).

Ah yes, the site that makes note of the lunar bubble of evil. Best forget that, indeed.

tmikel
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Then there is my method. I have all of the books from audible on my ipod. It's all I listen to. I just keep going from the first book all the way through, when I get to the last, I start over. I have actually "read" everything up to and including KOD, but after that I have listened only. I just love how the readers bring the characters to life.