PDA

View Full Version : Canada going to the polls?

Brita
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, it looks like a very good possibility. (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/27/election-jean.html)

I, for one, am tired of minority governments. I wouldn't mind seeing a majority government, just to see some movement on Parlaiment Hill.

I don't know about the other Canadians on the board, but my area ALWAYS goes with one party. It is staunch liberal territory. It is frustrating because all other votes just get swallowed up, and it leaves me feeling unempowered. I will vote based on the candidates and the party at the time, their platforms, their history, their track record etc.- there have been times I voted Liberal, but other times, when I wanted a change, what did it matter? I might as well have drawn a pretty pony with a rainbow in the sky, and maybe some flowers scattered through the field on my ballot.

But, I always vote- who knows maybe one day my area will surprise the socks off me and we'll all vote for the Green Party :D

Gilshalos Sedai
08-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Now I really don't understand the Canadian government. ;)

tanaww
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey! I have an idea! What if Mr. Hopper and myself run for President in Canadia too! It could be like a bloodless coup!

Tana / Hopper. The only team qualified to lead ALL of North America

Davian93
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
What about Mexico?

Brita
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
LOL! With your wonderful grasp of what Canada is all about tanaww- how could you possibly fail? :p

ShadowbaneX
08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with the minority government...for conservatives they haven't managed to screw up the country completely in only a short matter of time. Then again, the Liberals were doing little better and being from Ontario, I cannot vote for the NDP after Bob Ray.

I'll vote in the next election, but I've got no idea who it will be as I just cannot trust the right-wing.

Davian93
08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with the minority government...for conservatives they haven't managed to screw up the country completely in only a short matter of time. Then again, the Liberals were doing little better and being from Ontario, I cannot vote for the NDP after Bob Ray.

I'll vote in the next election, but I've got no idea who it will be as I just cannot trust the right-wing.

I've never been more lost after reading a post...I must say none of that meant anything to me.

RogueSavior
08-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Grrr.... Dav Cranky.

Also, SBX... couldn't you solve the problem by writing the Queen and asking her who she likes as controlling interest? Seems only fair, since her predecessors let Canada have its freedom all bloodless-like.

Davian93
08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Grrr.... Dav Cranky.

Also, SBX... couldn't you solve the problem by writing the Queen and asking her who she likes as controlling interest? Seems only fair, since her predecessors let Canada have its freedom all bloodless-like.

LOL...not cranky RS...just exposing my complete lack of knowledge w/ everything to do with Canadian politics.;)

Ivhon
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I get that. Canadia has the same problem as the US with only a few voters having a vote that counts.

My vote as a Texan means squat. My vote as a North Carolinian meant squat. My vote as a Tennessean meant squat. My vote as a New Jersian meant squat. Had I been old enough to vote as a Massachussettsianer, it would have meant squat.

My vote - in the National election, at least - has never meant more than squat. It seems our subj....brothers and sisters north of the border have some of the same issues.

tanaww
08-27-2008, 08:57 PM
LOL! With your wonderful grasp of what Canada is all about tanaww- how could you possibly fail? :p

I won't fail because I will give all my favorite Canucks leadership positions :) Yes, dear, that's you, Ishara, SBX and (GOD HELP ME), Seeker. It'll be fine. Plus you'll get the entire NHL Playoff season declared a national holiday :)

Terez
08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
My Deutsch prof has been going on about the upcoming election in ÷sterreich, and sometimes he goes off on tangents about other parliamentary systems. They all seem to operate pretty much the same, which is on the surface very different from the way we do things, but in the end, not really all that different. :)

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Plus you'll get the entire NHL Playoff season declared a national holiday :)

That's enough to get my vote.

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 02:03 AM
I've never been more lost after reading a post...I must say none of that meant anything to me.

Funny, that's what my reaction is when you guys go off sprouting on American politics.

Hopper
08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
What about Mexico?

We have Mexico covered. All the Mexicans are already in California and Texas.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
We have Mexico covered. All the Mexicans are already in California and Texas.

Hey, now, we are TRYING to send them back.

Ivhon
08-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Does anyone actually live in Mexico anymore? Or is that just CGI?

Brita
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Funny, that's what my reaction is when you guys go off sprouting on American politics.

Yes, that is why I thought it was our turn. Of course, our elections aren't run like the Oscars, so it's hard to compete with the hype.

And tanaww, I like your style- that is one damn good election promise :)

SBX- I can't stand how the Liberals have just excused themselves from parlaimentary votes for the last several months. As the largest opposition, I think it is ridiculous they take the easy way out and just abstain from voting. And Dion? Why did they ever choose him as party leader? I thought Harper was flat. Dion is so forgetable it's cra....what was I talking about again? Oh ya- forgetable Dion.

Let's vote for the Green Party- just to shake things up a bit!

Ishara
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Quick - very glossy - explanation.

In Canada, we have no limit on how many parties can run for government, either provincially or federally. We have, I think, about 5 parties bif enough to vote for in any substantive way: The Progressive Conservatives (the so-called right), the Liberals (right of centre), the NDP (left, or left of centre), the Green Party (way out in the outfield), and the Bloc Quebecois (really only germaine to the Quebecois, although very popular there, with some intriguing policy ideas).

Typically any election is a fight between the big two, the PCs and the Liberals, with a healthy representation of the NDP thrown into the mix, and an occassional pocket of BQ or Green support. Are you still following me?

Anytime an election is held, we can form a government of either a majority of one party holding most of the seats in Paliament, or a minority government of a slim majority by one party with the second party having enough sway to have a significant impact on policy and decisions.

That's what we have now, a minority PC government. I am firmly of the opinion that minority governments keep everyone honest and create more "movement" and action in Parliament than a majority one will.

Minority governments force the two big parties to play nice and cooperate, compromise and generally work together in the House, because if they don't, then either party can simply block the other's motions. It also creates the possibility for either one of the big two to ally themselves with the NDP (the smaller on, remember?) and create a majority of voes between the two of them.

Overall, I've been staisfied with this government. Annoyed that Harper (the leader of the PC,and our current Prime Minister) is playing games by threatening to call an election, basically the entire time he's been in office.

The problem is, non of the federal party leaders have any shred of personality, likeability or charisma - except the leader of the BQ (the Quebecois party) - he's a phenomenal politician and excatly what Canada needs in a leader, except forhis silly ideas about sepratism). Stephen Harper is a chubby robot - at best. The Liberal leader Stephane Dion is painfully academic and has great ideas and no way to get them off the ground because they scare people. Jack Layton, the leader of the NDP tries too hard to be lefty and just comes off as smarmy.

I can't in good conscience vote for Stephen Harper, or Stephane Dion, so I'll probably end up voting NDP, but we'll see....

Oh, and Dav? Bob Rae (way to spell SBX :p), was a provincial leader for the NDP who essentailly had to eat a couple of his significant campaign promises, and screwed the middle working class that voted him in - and then he turned coat and ran for the federal PC party....

Brita
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Nice summary Ishara!

My problem with minority governments is that the opposition can nix excellent motions out of spite or because they're sulking. I'd hate to accuse our elected officials of being so petty...but....

In theory minority governments can have a lot of advantages, but it seems so often that bills don't get passed because the opposition didn't get what they wanted tacked on. It's like the thought is: How could they possibly just pass an excellent bill without wrangling something for themselves out of the deal? And this can slow things down, or stop them altogether.

Annoyed that Harper (the leader of the PC,and our current Prime Minister) is playing games by threatening to call an election, basically the entire time he's been in office.

I don't know...it's kinda hard to run an effective government when the official opposition just sit's on the fence, pouting. The Liberal's are being very passive-aggressive IMO. They are sabotaging parlaiment, and then pointing fingers at Harper because he wants an election.

I am satisfied with the current administration, and with Harper in general. I'm not convinced the PC Party is as far right wing as they are accused of being. I prefer fiscally responsible governments to free-spending governments. The PC Party has done a good job financially- without raping our social programs. And he didn't run off and ban gay marriage or send all our troops to Iraq like people said he would. And he doesn't promise what he can't deliver. He did a good job keeping most of his campaign promises, despite having to work in a minority situation.

However, Harper's tight control on what is given to the media and his penchant for needing to appear perfect is a little disturbing, I admit. And if he was given a majority goverment, then maybe the far right would come out, I don't know.

I am undecided, I will be following the campaign very closely.

Mort
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
My problem with minority governments is that the opposition can nix excellent motions out of spite or because they're sulking. I'd hate to accuse our elected officials of being so petty...but....

In theory minority governments can have a lot of advantages, but it seems so often that bills don't get passed because the opposition didn't get what they wanted tacked on. It's like the thought is: How could they possibly just pass an excellent bill without wrangling something for themselves out of the deal? And this can slow things down, or stop them altogether.

Same problem as with dictatorship and democracy. Dictatorships aren't bad if all decisions that are being made are good ones :)
Democracy provides that you will never hit rock bottom with it. It doesn't guarantee any utopia either since the whole idea is based on compromising ideas.

I like change. If one or two parties has been sitting a long time on the throne I would like to see them loose after a while just to make them know they shouldn't get too comfortable, even if I agree 100% with their ideas (as long as no extremist party takes the throne instead).

Sei'taer
08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
The problem is, non of the federal party leaders have any shred of personality, likeability or charisma - except the leader of the BQ (the Quebecois party) - he's a phenomenal politician and excatly what Canada needs in a leader, except forhis silly ideas about sepratism). Stephen Harper is a chubby robot - at best. The Liberal leader Stephane Dion is painfully academic and has great ideas and no way to get them off the ground because they scare people. Jack Layton, the leader of the NDP tries too hard to be lefty and just comes off as smarmy.

Wow, that sounds like a very good synopsis of what we got runnin to your south.

I still barely understand what you said, but it sounds like y'all are cool with it...

Brita
08-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Same problem as with dictatorship and democracy. Dictatorships aren't bad if all decisions that are being made are good ones :)
Democracy provides that you will never hit rock bottom with it. It doesn't guarantee any utopia either since the whole idea is based on compromising ideas.

Yes, good point Mort.

Ivhon
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
And this is the advantage of a multiparty system. You can get around gridlock by forming alliances in a minority government that force action.

We can't get diddly done when the parties are even. And its hard to say if that is better or worse than when the majority can do whatever it wants (I would say that the current gridlock getting nothing done is better than the destruction that existed before it).

I would love to see America with 3 or 4 legitimate parties and a popular vote. Doubt the either party will want to allow others and certainly the Republicans will fight popular votes and paper trails as hard as they can.

JSUCamel
08-28-2008, 10:54 AM
And he didn't run off and ban gay marriage or send all our troops to Iraq like people said he would.

Canadia has troops?!

Davian93
08-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Canadia has troops?!

Yes and they're both very upset about being in Iraq.;)

JSUCamel
08-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes and they're both very upset about being in Iraq.

Well then send them both home!

Brita
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Hardee-har-har.

You guys are hilarious!

Ishara
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, not sure how funny that is, given who's leading the front in Afghanistan right now. Whatever, I'm not getting into it.

My problem with Harper Brita is that he's just so fake - I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't trust him, at all. I'm generally satisfied by the job that he's done, but am I inspired? Am I excited? No. He's just m'eh. All around. He's done a mediocre job at staying on top, plus I'm really not comfortable with his stance on climate change (among other things). Also, he's very weak in terms of an international presence. I can just see the other Prime Minister's/ Presidents groaning internally about having to hang out with him, you know?

Also, if the Liberals are being passive agressive it's because they've got crap for leadership. They passed up on Gerrard Kennedy, who was admittedly young for the job, but with a background, practical experience and clear passion. Ridiculous. They deserve what they get...

Brita
08-28-2008, 12:08 PM
My problem with Harper Brita is that he's just so fake - I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't trust him, at all. I'm generally satisfied by the job that he's done, but am I inspired? Am I excited? No. He's just m'eh. All around. He's done a mediocre job at staying on top, plus I'm really not comfortable with his stance on climate change (among other things). Also, he's very weak in terms of an international presence. I can just see the other Prime Minister's/ Presidents groaning internally about having to hang out with him, you know?

Heh, I can't find one thing to argue with in that paragraph. It's always fun when it comes down to voting for the best of two evils- or should I say the best of two drabs.

Also, if the Liberals are being passive agressive it's because they've got crap for leadership. They passed up on Gerrard Kennedy, who was admittedly young for the job, but with a background, practical experience and clear passion. Ridiculous. They deserve what they get...

No argument here either. NDP or Green Party then? :D

Realnow
08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Harper is one gaffe after another and is an embarassment imo. Smear tactics and anti-Dion propaganda ("Dion's green shift is going to lose YOU your job, your money, your LIFE!!!" ..kind of stuff) when in reality its designed to not cost the majority of low to mid class income families at all, and increases taxing on the upper tax brackets. And at least one politician is putting the environment's needs above winning an election.

Dion's failing is like you guys said, inability to win over the general population with charisma, at all.

Ishara
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I kind of think that it's more than his lack of charisma though. He just doesn't strike me as a leader - he comes off as whiny and reactive to the stuff that Harper throws his way. But as I said before, Jack Leighton is not exactly a shining star among options either...

I have a colleague who was "on call" during the Days of Protest against Harris in the mid-90s. His job on protest days was to be part of a perimetre around government buildings. Not standing guard, just there to make sure that people had access into and out of the buildings, regardless of the protests. So he set up shop at about 6.15 am and some guy stops his bike and starts talking to him about the lousy government and up with workers etc, and my clooeague is like, yeah - I'm a government employee...Well didn't Leighton just hop up on his bike and take off? Douche.

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
The Progressive Conservatives (the so-called right), the Liberals (right of centre), the NDP (left, or left of centre), the Green Party (way out in the outfield), and the Bloc Quebecois (really only germaine to the Quebecois, although very popular there, with some intriguing policy ideas).

The Tories are the closest thing we have to the right-wing in Canada. I wouldn't exactly place the liberals right of center. Center or just a little left of center perhaps, with the NDP being as LEFT as you can be and not be communist and the Green party being popular amongst the pot smoking wacko college/university types. The Bloc, are just seperatist assholes, who gain the vote of every quebequois who think that that they leave* Canada, are their problems will be solved.

*Leaving Canada includes gaining something like half our armed forces...yes, that's one of those two guys currently over in Afganistan...(where's my damned rolleyes gif?), get to keep using Canadian currency, and several other teenager-isms ie "I'm living on my own, but I still have the keys to my parents place and drop by to raid the fridge and do my laundry"

Bob Rae (way to spell SBX :p)

to hell Bob Rae and and same to Bob Ray too, just because they have similar names.

My problem with Harper Brita is that he's just so fake.

Makes you feel really, really, really sad when you see clips of Mulroney and realise how much character and charisma that guy had, especially when compared to Harper and Dion.

Wow, that sounds like a very good synopsis of what we got runnin to your south.

I still barely understand what you said, but it sounds like y'all are cool with it...

That's because Harper, our Bush-light, currently only has a minority government and cannot run the country into the ground like Bush is down there. Once he gets a majority and there's nothing anyone can do to stop him, that's when we start getting a little nervous.

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 02:22 PM
SBX- I can't stand how the Liberals have just excused themselves from parlaimentary votes for the last several months. As the largest opposition, I think it is ridiculous they take the easy way out and just abstain from voting. And Dion? Why did they ever choose him as party leader? I thought Harper was flat. Dion is so forgetable it's cra....what was I talking about again? Oh ya- forgetable Dion.

I've been saying it for as long as I've been able to vote (that's a decade now) Canadian politics is the choice of the lesser evil or "who will fuck up the country the least". The Dion Liberals are forgettable at best, the Harper Conservatives are Bush-light, & Bob Rae (:p to you Ishara) makes it very difficult for me to vote NDP. I'm not in Quebec, although I'm pretty damned close, but even if I were I'd never vote for Quebec leaving.

Let's vote for the Green Party- just to shake things up a bit!

As for the Green Party, well, the 'lets just shake things up a bit' was the exact mentality for voting for Bob Rae back in the early 90s, and, well, we all know how that turned out.

Brita
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Makes you feel really, really, really sad when you see clips of Mulroney and realise how much character and charisma that guy had, especially when compared to Harper and Dion.

Even seeing clips of Chretien. It was always slightly embarassing to have him as our PM (so easy to parody), but he had character. And least he stood out from the crowd. I'm sure that is partially why he was elected for three terms.

The Liberals has a real chance to bring a leader with charisma and vision, that would blow Harper out of the water, and they went with someone even more tedious than Harper himself. I still shake my head in wonderment.

Brita
08-28-2008, 02:30 PM
As for the Green Party, well, the 'lets just shake things up a bit' was the exact mentality for voting for Bob Rae back in the early 90s, and, well, we all know how that turned out.

Ha! True- but at least there will be marijuana for everyone to ease our pain. Hell, one year into the Green Party's rule and none of us will even care what happens to our country!

Crispin's Crispian
08-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I wrote a paper on the politics of the creation of the Canadian Internet backbone under the Chretien regime. I can't for the life of me remember anything about it though. Something about claiming that the backbone would be the savior of the average Canadian citizen but in truth selling souls to corporate interests.

Are we sure that Canada and the US are actually separate countries?

Ishara
08-28-2008, 02:41 PM
with the NDP being as LEFT as you can be and not be communist I think you're being sarcastic, at least I hope you are! Fact of the matter is, the NDP walks a hard line in canada. Can't be too close to centre or you lose the endorsement of the Unions, specifically the CAW which represents a LOT of voters, and you can't be too left or you alienate the hard-working middle class who want to take home some of their wages. They're never going to please everyone.

They've grown a lot as a party since Rae, and have pretty solid plans for maintaining business while endorsing more in the way of social security I think. But in a ime of economic crisis right next door you can make a pretty good argument both ways for or against putting the NDP in power right now.

You have to spend money to protect your population during the worst of an economic downturn, and lord knows we have a big enough EI surplus to do it, but people kick and scream at the idea (unless it's them). The other end of the spectrum is to alleviate taxes even more on business to encourage economic growth which is something the NDP will never endorse (the tax cuts, not the economic growth)...

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Are we sure that Canada and the US are actually separate countries?

Canada is two parts US, two parts Britian, one part our own random stuff (hockey, Tim Hortons, etc) and one part miscellanous crap from all over the rest of the world. We're close, but we're still seperate countries.

Sei'taer
08-28-2008, 04:52 PM
That's because Harper, our Bush-light, currently only has a minority government and cannot run the country into the ground like Bush is down there. Once he gets a majority and there's nothing anyone can do to stop him, that's when we start getting a little nervous.

Ok, so...I have a question that may sound really dumb, but it's one of the main points I don't understand. Let's say Harper doesn't get a majority, so he dissolves Parliament again, and he doesn't get one the next time so he dissolves it again, and on and on. Is this not something thats possible?

Sinistrum
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
wait, we gave Canada the right to vote too? When did this happen? :p

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 05:21 PM
The PM cannot dissolve parliment. It is possible that some major items, the budget and so on, could be rejected causing parilment to dissolve, and a new election to be hold, but the PM himself cannot do it.

In the US the President is both head of state and head of government. Up here the Prime Minister is the head of goverment, but the Govenor General, the Queen's Representative, is the Head of State, if that makes things any murkier.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Not sure how the two could be separated, but ooook.

ShadowbaneX
08-28-2008, 06:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_of_State
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_of_government

Basically is mostly a ceremonial position. Meets foreign dignitaries and signs laws into being. Technically, I also think the PM goes to the Govenor General to form the Government and the like.

The Prime Minister appoints the cabinet and just is generally runs the government.

(can ya tell I didn't pay too much attention when government and politics came up in school?...actually, come to think of it, it was only just glossed over when we went through it in elementary school and I didn't bother taking the politics course in high school)

Rune420
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Oh, so that's what you guys do up there when you're not playing hockey or making stuff from wood. hmmm

ShadowbaneX
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
building igloos, watch dog-sled races, lacross during the summer, make fun of Americans, make fun of ourselves, drink Tim Horton's Coffee, eat Tim Horton's doughnuts (and breakfast sandwiches) and we can't forget obsessively waiting for the 2 weeks of summer to be over so hockey starts again.

Brita
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
or making stuff from wood. hmmm

ROTFLMAO!

What? Are Canadians known for making wooden items or something? That's the funniest thing...I guess people are stuck with steroetypes we didn't even know we had.

Posted by SBX: building igloos, watch dog-sled races, lacross during the summer, make fun of Americans, make fun of ourselves, drink Tim Horton's Coffee, eat Tim Horton's doughnuts (and breakfast sandwiches) and we can't forget obsessively waiting for the 2 weeks of summer to be over so hockey starts again.

Northern Canada amendment: fishing, then hunting, then ice fishing, then wishing Spring Bear Hunt wasn't cancelled, then fishing- repeat until death.

tanaww
08-29-2008, 06:10 PM
So making stuff out of wood, watching hockey, drinking coffee, etc. are what Canadia is all about.

Turns out I AM an expert, eh?

Vote For Me.

Brita
09-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is expected to visit Gov. Gen. MichaŽlle Jean at 9 a.m. ET on Sunday and ask her to dissolve his minority Conservative government, the Canadian Press reported Thursday.

So we will know next week.

Realnow
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
If the Canadian populace continues being duped by Harper's attack ads and elects him again its truly pathetic.

Embarrassing on an international level to have such a lame-duck PM, as well as his inability to support the economy, destruction of national arts fundings, lack of any caring at all for auto-industry workers, lack of communication and respect for municipal and provincial governenments, and above all a clear under-handed motive..to stay in power, at any cost.

I've had enough of Harper's false claims and negative politics. If I hear one more add (falsely) claiming that the green shift is going to cost truckers, farmers, middle class workers, etc so much money I'm going to smash my radio.

The only reason Dion appears enept is he refuses to stoop to Harper's level and throw away his dignity by attacking him back. Maybe it would be helpful, but personally I'd rather have a better person and smarter leader as PM then a pandering fool. Atleast he has integrity, which is about as far from Harper as you can get.

p.s. speaking of Chretian, you know you've hit rock bottom when your attacking someone with ads saying "do you want your PM to look like this?" with a photo of him. Pretty damn disgusting. (Conservatives again with the attack ads :D)

Brita
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Did you see the ad with the "personal testimonies" of why people are voting for Harper? With lines that only come from a bad movie script. The whole ad was creepy and fake- especially when it ends with Harper smiling at the camera like a robot. What a terrible ad.

I didn't see the one with Chretien- that is terrible!

But unfortunately there is more wrong with Dion than just not stooping to a low level. That guy is off the radar. He is just not noticable. The only reason we know who he is is because he happens to lead the official opposition. He gets no screenplay, no newsbites, nothing. His party better start working on increasing his profile, majorly!

Realnow
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes thats one I mean! Well the radio version. Its hilarious because they start off saying "lets hear from REAL canadians" and proceed to play the most horribly acted soundbites I've ever heard.

Its really insulting to the average Canadian that this these are supposed to convince us of anything other than Harper being a slimy bastard.

I admit thats true, Dion is less of a public figure, but I believe there is hope. I'm guessing that once the election begins officially Dion's colors will show in debates, etc. I just hope that the average-idiot doesn't believe the ads...but who knows.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't his low profile indicate that he might actually BE working?

Realnow
09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Wouldn't his low profile indicate that he might actually BE working?

A politician working? Impossible. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I don't know what I was smoking there.

Ishara
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, but he's not working - not really. He's the opposition, doesn't have much of a role to play unless he's given one. The ad played last night at the gym and it's even sacrier in silence. The actors look just as fake as he does, but I particularly like the perky blonde hugging her kid as she talked. Very sincere. Christ.

The real problem is that nobody will vote NDP if the economy keeps it up the way it has. They aren't trusted to be good gatekeepers of money.

Davian93
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
The real problem is that nobody will vote NDP if the economy keeps it up the way it has. They aren't trusted to be good gatekeepers of money

Just how bad IS the Canadian economy right now? I've heard rumblings that your unemployment levels are rising like ours (up to 6.1% now...thanks Bush!) but you would think an economy that has that much natural resources to back it up would be doing better.

All in all I think the U.S and Canada should tie their currencies to each other or create something akin to the Euro. It would honestly benefit both of us in the long run...though they'd have to get rid of that old lady they have on it now.

Brita
09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Here's (http://www.canadianeconomy.gc.ca/english/economy/) out current economy in a nutshell. Most of it means nothing to me, but I see our unemployment rate is 6.1%, just like yours. And our inflation rate in July was 3.4%.

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
the only thing I agree with about that Harper ad is support for the Troops and Armed Forces, but that's about it. The 'being tough on crime' line, as you said Ishy, but the blonde hugging her kid just makes me want to howl with laughter. Harper tough on crime? And being proud of it...damn, he really wants to be a Republican.

As for the rest, yeah, Dion's a putz, & no one trusts the NDP. What I'm truly afraid of is the Bloc somehow winding up as the official opposition. That would have all sorts of non-fun consequences.

As for the economy, well, it's weird. It's gotten alot stronger, but it's been based on being the US's cheap neighbour for so long that there are growing pains now that it's being forced to change. I've been looking for a job since Feburary and haven't found anything other then minimum wage crap which I refuse to take. Another of my friends, one with an actual CS degree hasn't been able to find anything either.

Heh, 'Harper's the one with a steady hand during these difficult economic times'...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Man, I wish I could find the ad on you tube, just so you Americans could laugh at it...it's so lame.

Brita
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
What I'm truly afraid of is the Bloc somehow winding up as the official opposition. That would have all sorts of non-fun consequences.

OMG! Can you imagine! Actually I like alot of their policies and they could probably do a good job, if it wasn't for the fact that to them Canada would only be one province called Quebec.

ShadowbaneX
09-05-2008, 02:03 PM
my biggest nightmare is all of Quebec going Bloc (75 seats) and then the other 207 seats being roughly equally split between the Tories, the Liberals and the NPD (between 64-74 seats each) making Duceppe the next Prime Minister.

*shudder*

Brita
09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
my biggest nightmare is all of Quebec going Bloc (75 seats) and then the other 207 seats being roughly equally split between the Tories, the Liberals and the NPD (between 64-74 seats each) making Duceppe the next Prime Minister.

*shudder*

Ya- that's enough to keep you up at night- except that I can't imagine what extreme circumstances would prompt all of Quebec to vote for the bloc- at best they could end up being official opposition.

Ishara
09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Personally, I think that Duceppe is probably the smartest, most engaging politician we have in the country right now. Like Brita, I actually have a healthy respect for his policies - except for the one where Quebec is special.

Dav, I think it's all a matter of perception when it comes to the economy. Our dollar is the closest to par it's been in years, which is good for a lot of reason, but has its downside. Gas is more expensive here, as are almost all goods than they are in the US, but it doesn't hurt us as much as it seems to hurt you guys (or we don't complain about it as much). So far we've done pretty well despite the sinking US economy in large part because of all our exports. That being said, Ontario has recently shut down, as in eliminated completely, entire parts of the auto sector. The trades and the industries are feeling it hardest, and we all know that they just feel it first. So will it get worse, probably. Are we due for it in the natural course of economics, certainly. Doesn't mean it won't suck though.

Seeker
09-06-2008, 02:01 AM
That's what we have now, a minority PC government. I am firmly of the opinion that minority governments keep everyone honest and create more "movement" and action in Parliament than a majority one will.

Minority governments force the two big parties to play nice and cooperate, compromise and generally work together in the House, because if they don't, then either party can simply block the other's motions. It also creates the possibility for either one of the big two to ally themselves with the NDP (the smaller on, remember?) and create a majority of voes between the two of them.

I very much agree.

Seeker
09-06-2008, 02:10 AM
I am satisfied with the current administration, and with Harper in general. I'm not convinced the PC Party is as far right wing as they are accused of being. I prefer fiscally responsible governments to free-spending governments. The PC Party has done a good job financially- without raping our social programs. And he didn't run off and ban gay marriage or send all our troops to Iraq like people said he would. And he doesn't promise what he can't deliver. He did a good job keeping most of his campaign promises, despite having to work in a minority situation.

The only reason Harper's government is not a total failure is BECAUSE he's in a minority government and could lose his position as PM if he does anything shaky. That fear of losing the election to the Liberals is the only thing that keeps Harper in check.

Give him real power and it'll be a disaster, you watch.

And the current Conservative party (which is not the same as the PCs) is not what I would call fiscally responsible. They're too in favour of privatizing essential services.

Brita
09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
The only reason Harper's government is not a total failure is BECAUSE he's in a minority government and could lose his position as PM if he does anything shaky. That fear of losing the election to the Liberals is the only thing that keeps Harper in check.

Give him real power and it'll be a disaster, you watch.

You are probably right. I just can't stand the stalling of perfectly reasonable bills in a minority government- but I guess the stalling results in moderation and sometimes more beneficial items being added to the bill by the opposition. OK you both have changed my mind- I will just have to learn some patience.

On the economy- the forestry sector is taking a nosedive here in NWO, and this is the industry our whole community was founded on. We have lost thousands of jobs. But fortunately mining is booming- and our new Molecular Medicine Research Centre is opening the door to innovation and knowledge based economics. Overall, after the pains of change, our community may be better off.

Seeker
09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
You are probably right. I just can't stand the stalling of perfectly reasonable bills in a minority government- but I guess the stalling results in moderation and sometimes more beneficial items being added to the bill by the opposition. OK you both have changed my mind- I will just have to learn some patience.

Minority governments do less, but more of what they DO do is sane.

Ishara
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Found the video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgh8DcTjHaE) Try not to laugh too hard.

ShadowbaneX
09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
video was removed.

tworiverswoman
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
The only thing you can find now is ads from 2006 -- curious that this was removed by the user.

Oh, well.

Davian93
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
None of this will matter after the Consolidation...though we may leave the local governments in place to quell any uprisings by the populace.

Brita
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
~~pointedly ignores Davian's wishful thinking~~

Well, it looks like an October election- let the games begin!

From Reuters Article (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080907/n_canada_reuters/canada_politics_poll_col):

The survey asked respondents who they thought would win a federal election, regardless of which party they backed. A 55 percent majority said the Conservatives, while only 24 percent thought the Liberals would prevail.

That crappy ad must be working! (groan)

Brita
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Hahahaha (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080916/national/fedelxn_main)! Hahaha! Oh man, that's funny....

ShadowbaneX
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
ugh. I know it's wrong, but I might not actually vote in this election. They're all morons.

Brita
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
In Canada, we have no limit on how many parties can run for government, either provincially or federally. We have, I think, about 5 parties bif enough to vote for in any substantive way: The Progressive Conservatives (the so-called right), the Liberals (right of centre), the NDP (left, or left of centre), the Green Party (way out in the outfield), and the Bloc Quebecois (really only germaine to the Quebecois, although very popular there, with some intriguing policy ideas).

How is this (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080917/canada/canada_vote_narcotics_law) for way out in the outfield: Green Party leader apologizes publicly for never smoking pot.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
ROTFLMAO