PDA

View Full Version : California secede from the Union? Don't be

John Snow
08-27-2008, 04:33 PM
ridiculous!!
but wait....what is that little cloud on the horizon, the size of a man's hand (biblical reference for you scholars)....Schwarzenegger (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/08/schwarzenegger.html)

Birgitte
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it. I don't think I'd go the the Republican convention if the budget for the state I'm the governor of was two months overdue.

John Snow
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
It's a good excuse for Arnold to continue dissociating himself from the current national republican leadership. If he really wanted to go he would.

tworiverswoman
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm with B... what are you seeing here, Professor, that's zooming over our heads?

Sinistrum
08-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Seems fairly responsible to me...well as responsible as any governor of California really can be with regards to the budget anyways.

Frenzy
08-28-2008, 03:10 AM
i think it's a reasonable & plausible excuse to skip out on having to tow a political party he's not too terribly aligned with. State Republicans in the Assembly & Senate have pretty-much washed their hands of him after he glaringly pointed out 2 years ago how dysfunctional the legislature was. Too bad the populace wasn't ready to hear that.

i'd guess that in Ahnuld's mind the Republicans have lost the upcoming election, no matter how likable McCain is (compared to other Republicans like, say, Romney). Why associate yourself with a loser?

Arnold doesn't need national policial buzz. The Party sure could use his clout, though. They'll be pissed. But he's probably the party's best bet to oust either Boxer or Feinstein, and if the party thinks long-term, that's more valuable to them than this upcoming election. The only reason they haven't written it off is that the Democratic Party's so fumble-fingered that they might actually drop the ball.

But the state seceding because the Governator doesn't go to the convention? Naaah. i think we're more pissed at the Feds in general than at the Republicans, and that'd be a stronger reason. i think the state splitting in two is more likely, but that noise hasn't resurfaced in years.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Anyone else think of Demolition Man when hearing about Schwarzenegger's political career? I keep waiting for that amendment to be proposed.

Davian93
08-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Anyone else think of Demolition Man when hearing about Schwarzenegger's political career? I keep waiting for that amendment to be proposed.

Yeah...that was a great very underrated movie...that just happened to be on Cinemax 8,405,294 times back in 1997.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-28-2008, 07:47 AM
I REALLY want to find it on DVD.

4Alethinos
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I could not care less what the Rhino Scwartzenkennedy does. This state has become a zoo because of the Dems. Rdidiculous taxes that drive businesses away. The 47th worst school system in the country due to the NEA and the Calif, Teach. Assn. and dumbed down tests. Whee! What a workers paradise this is! Our roads are in sad disrepair. We are billions in debt which is against the constitution of the state. Oh yeah, I can hardly wait for succession, as if we were capable of going it alone. What a sad joke. Whee!

Animal Farm is alive and well in Kalifornia.

Never forget that some of us are more equal than others. It will help you when you see the pigs ruling over the Farm.

Frenzy
08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
that's one thing i don't get. Over half of the state's gazillion-dollar budget goes to education, and we have an arguably crappy system. Obviously throwing money at the problem isn't working.

Sinistrum
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah Frenzy, but it sure does play well at the voting booth.