PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bits

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I was reading EotW last night and came across one of my favorite bits in the books...the story of Manetheren, the stand of Aemon and his men and the anger and retaliation of Eldrene against the Myrddraal (did she use balefire???) I became ENTHRALLED with the characters, the history, the emotion during that bit when I first read it; it is one of the things that solidified for me that I would enjoy the book.

When you compare that part of the book to the rest of the series there is a distinct difference in the "voice" Moiraine uses. Her storytelling is almost odd there in retrospect; I would have expected it more from Thom than Moir once you get to know the characters better.

Anyhoooos...what are your favorite bits?

(edited to add: is it weird that my spell check wanted to change Myrddraal to My Dear ???? Kinda creepy!)

WinespringBrother
07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Favorite plot arc: the Battle of the Two Rivers, by far. Totally epic!

Favorite book: Knife of Dreams

Favorite returned character: Moiraine :D

Favorite antagonist punishment delivered to: Suffa

yks 6nnetu hing
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
my absolute favourite bit is when Egwene reforms the WT. The first step when she declares war and just... takes over. Then, when she's held prisoner, then the battle (which was EPIC) and lastly putting in place that whenever the Hall sits, there should be notifications and designated replacements - that's a significant change for AS!

Fav book is LoC, absolutely everything in there is awesome!

Ishara
07-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I can clearly remember the first time reading the story of Shaiel and thinking to myself that *this* was why I read WoT. That story, that revelation to Rand is still one of my favourites.

utinbaho
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Favorite Arc: Furyk Karede "rescuing" Tuon
Favorite Line: BOOTS
Least Favorite Character: Tossup between Gawyn and Faile dwarfed by Egwene
Favorite Couple: Elayne and Rand
Stupidest idea: Elayne trying to play the game.

Great Lord of the Dark
07-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Moiraine's tale of Manetheren feels different because the author is laying out the theme of the book and the series as a whole. It's more his voice than hers. Those pages sum up the stakes, the emotion and the inevitable fate that awaits the world. Aside from being awesome on its own, it is where Rand and friends draw their resolve from throughout the book, giving it further importance. It is clearly a highlight of Book 1.

In my current book, The Path of Daggers, I read about the morning Elayne wakes after testing ter'angreal with no memory of what she did over the last eight hours, and no one willing to tell her over their smiles. Little bits like that add so much life and wonder to the story.

Lupusdeusest
07-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Favourite line: A horse's head spun lazily through the air. Hence The Horse's Head as our reread blog.
Favourite bit: yep. The Manetheren bit was the part that sealed my fate so far as WoT was concerned.
Favourite arc: Um. I'm not sure. My favourite thread would likely be Mo's.

Tomp
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
(edited to add: is it weird that my spell check wanted to change Myrddraal to My Dear ???? Kinda creepy!)

Your cover's blown.
I always knew you were Shaidar Haran's mistress in disguise. :p ;)

Favourite arc: Egwene's journey from follower and student to leader and teacher.
Favourite lines/rants: Surely a Mat quote. It's a tie between:
1. "Now. When the poor blind fool they've chosen out for their Amyrlin gets here, I will do the talking. She can't be very bright, or they'd never have been able to shove her into the job. Amyrlin Seat for a bloody village in the middle of bloody nowhere. You keep your mouth shut and curtsey for all you're worth, and I'll pull your bacon off the coals again." (Mat to Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve)
and
2. "Women are like goats. It's like . . . Well, reasoning with a woman is like sitting down to a friendly game of dice. Only the woman refuses to acknowledge the basic bloody rules of the game. A man, he'll cheat you - but he'll do it honestly. He'll use loaded dice, so that you think you're losing by chance. And if you aren't clever enough to spot what he's doing, then maybe he deserves to take your coin. And that's that. A woman, though, she'll sit down to that same game and she'll smile, and act like she's going to play. Only when it's her turn to throw, she'll toss a pair of her own dice that are blank on all six sides. Not a single pip showing. She'll inspect the throw, then she'll look up at you and say, 'clearly I just won.' Now, you'll scratch your head and look at the dice. Then you'll look up at her, then down at the dice again 'But there aren't any pips on these dice' you'll say." 'Yes there are,' she'll say. 'And both dice rolled a one.' 'That's exactly the number you need to win,' you'll say. 'What a coincidence,' she'll reply, then begin to scoop up your coins. And you'll sit there, trying to wrap your head 'bout what just happened. And you'll realise something. A pair of ones isn't the winning throw! Not when you threw a six on your turn. That means she needed a pair of twos instead! Excitedly you'll explain what you've discovered. Only then do you know what she'll do?" "No idea, Mat." "Then she'll reach over and rub the blank faces of her dice. And then, with a perfectly straight face, she'll say, 'I'm sorry. There was a spot of dirt on the dice. Clearly you'll see they actually came up as twos!' And she'll believe it. She'll bloody believe it!" "Incredible." "Only that's not the end of it!" "I had presumed it wouldn't be Mat." "She scoops up all of your coins. And then every other wonam in the room will come over and congratulate her on throwing that pair of twos! The more you complain, the more those bloody women will join in the argument. You'll be outnumbered in a moment, and each of those women will explain to you how those dice clearly read twos, and how you really need to stop behaving like a child. Every single flaming one of them will see the twos! even the prudish woman who has hated your woman from birth - since your woman's granny stole the other woman's granny's honeycake recipe when they were both maids - that woman will side against you." "They're nefarious creatures indeed." "By the time they're done, you'll be left with no coin, several lists worth of errands to run and what clothing to wear and a splitting headache. You'll sit there and stare at the table and begin to wonder, just maybe, if those dice didn't read twos after all. If only to preserve what's left of your sanity. That's what it's like to reason with a woman, I tell you.""

Favorite antagonist punishment delivered to: Galina
Favourite fight scene: Mat vs Galad and Gawyn
Favourite moments: I kind of like when Rand tries to get LTT to release Saidin after the battle aginst the Trollocs. (in KoD chpt 19).

irerancincpkc
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Favorite book - A Crown of Swords - So intense!
Favorite Arc - Siuan's evolution. I adore her POV's.
Favorite Character - Min duh. :D
Least Favorite Character - Egwene Egwene EGWENE! Please oh please oh please let this miserable, annoying worthless character perish. Thank you.

maleshub
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Favorite ta'veren: Mat bloody Cauthon
Favorite of Rand's trio: Aviendha
Favorite support hero: Thom Merrilin
Favorite Aes Sedai: Moiraine and Siuan (tie)
Favorite couple: Rand - Aviendha (best written of Rand's four romances)
Favorite ruler: Fortuona - trained to rule a continent and can hold her ground against the best of them
Favorite Maiden of the Spear: Sulin
Favorite Aiel Clan Chief: Bael - leads a clan, fights in battles, marries, and still having children!
Favorite Great Captain: Rodel Ituralde
Favorite Ashaman: Narishma and Logain (tie)
Favorite Warder: Alric (would have loved to get to know him better)
Favorite Randland monarch: Darlin of Tear
Favorite Aiel Wise One: Bair - cannot channel but so strong
Favorite battle scene: Battle of Cairhien (Rand and Mat parts combined)
Favorite Foresaken: Lanfear
Favorite Trolloc: Narg!!!!!!
Favorite Darkfriend: Mili Skane

Favorite Book: Knife of Dreams
Favorite Chapters: The Far Snows, A Cluster of Rosebuds, Under an Oak, A Fount of Power, The Tower Stands, A Visit from Verin Sedai

WinespringBrother
07-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Favorite couple: Rand - Aviendha (best written of Rand's four romances)

Technically speaking, Rand had more than four romances (to varying degrees, of course :P)!

Egwene
Aviendha
Elmindreda
Elayne
Lanfear
Selande
Berelain

maleshub
07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Technically speaking, Rand had more than four romances (to varying degrees, of course :P)!

Egwene
Aviendha
Elmindreda
Elayne
Lanfear
Selande
Berelain

Gotta disagree with you. He traumatized Selande with his "madness" tactic to a degree that she seems to have forgotten about seduction and prefers to run around doing Faile's bidding.

And he never had a relationship with Berelain. He scared her out of her wits when he fought his reflection in the mirror. After that, she was his Stewardess in Cairhien for a while; but nothing romantic.

He had a crush on Selene in TGH; but nothing that can be called a romance.

Lanfear is LTT's, not Rand's, former mistress. Rand had the romance button turned off when he met her. Only his ToM epilogue dream hints at "desire" when he dreams of Mierin.

Anyway, I read Rand as having 4 romantic relationships in WoT so far: Aviendha, Min, Elayne, and Egwene.

GonzoTheGreat
07-08-2012, 05:04 AM

Egwene
Aviendha
Elmindreda
Elayne
Lanfear
Selande
Berelain
Poor Else, always getting ignored.

Selande probably doesn't count, though, I agree with MS*.

* Or should that be MH? Don't really know what the proper abbreviation is.

maleshub
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Poor Else, always getting ignored.

Selande probably doesn't count, though, I agree with MS*.

* Or should that be MH? Don't really know what the proper abbreviation is.

MS :)

WinespringBrother
07-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Gotta disagree with you. He traumatized Selande with his "madness" tactic to a degree that she seems to have forgotten about seduction and prefers to run around doing Faile's bidding.

And he never had a relationship with Berelain. He scared her out of her wits when he fought his reflection in the mirror. After that, she was his Stewardess in Cairhien for a while; but nothing romantic.

He had a crush on Selene in TGH; but nothing that can be called a romance.

Lanfear is LTT's, not Rand's, former mistress. Rand had the romance button turned off when he met her. Only his ToM epilogue dream hints at "desire" when he dreams of Mierin.

Anyway, I read Rand as having 4 romantic relationships in WoT so far: Aviendha, Min, Elayne, and Egwene.

Well if you want to be picky about it, and please realize I'm not really being picky :P, he hasn't really been in a romantic relationship with Elayne or Aviendha either. 4 days in Tear, followed by 2 diametrically opposed letters and that one night with Elayne. A love-hate relationship followed by the Far Snows, follwed by the same love-hate with Aviendha until they reunited in Caemlyn. And while he is bonded to them now, he still has hardly spent time with any of them.

Forgot about poor Else. Whoops.

maleshub
07-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Well if you want to be picky about it, and please realize I'm not really being picky :P, he hasn't really been in a romantic relationship with Elayne or Aviendha either. 4 days in Tear, followed by 2 diametrically opposed letters and that one night with Elayne. A love-hate relationship followed by the Far Snows, follwed by the same love-hate with Aviendha until they reunited in Caemlyn. And while he is bonded to them now, he still has hardly spent time with any of them.

Forgot about poor Else. Whoops.

It is good that we're not being picky about this :p Why don't we take Rand's word for it? Who does he say he's in love with? And who says, in return, that she's in love with him?

Currently, only Aviendha, Min, and Elayne fit. And prior to them, there was Egwene.

Rand al'Fain
07-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Favorite Book-Shadow Rising, especially learning about the Aiel's past.

Favorite Main Character-Mat Bloody Cauthon, he gets the job done, does it in style, and will still make a wisecrack about something.

Favorite Secondary Character-Tuon, especially when she and Mat start going at it.

Favorite Arc-Mat and Tuon traveling with Luca's show. Some great momenets there.

Favorite Super Girl-Nynaeve, although bossy and arrogant for a while, her one constant is that what she did, she always did for others, mainly Lan and the other Two Rivers folk.

Least Favorite Protagonist-Egwene followed by Gawyn. Eggy ALWAYS seems to have things go her way some how, even having an Aes Sedai of nearly 50 years all of a sudden go stupid so that Eggy would look brilliant. And Gawyn, well, a good fighter yes, a good thinker? No, no he is not.

Favorite Forsaken-Lanfear. Although certainly not an ally of the Light, she only joined the Dark One to gain power, and power is what she craves.

Favorite Overall Part-Manethren Story. I have always enjoyed such tales, and that one was no exception.

utinbaho
07-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Favorite Minor character: 3 way tie between Weiramon, Vanin and Nuli.

Abbaaddon
07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Favourite character: Mat by far
Favourite part: Battle of Cairhien
Favourite arc: Mat's travelling with Tuon ending by the "rescue" from Furyk.
Other favourite part: Rand's confrontation with Egwene in the White Tower.
Favourite secondary character : Talmanes
Favourite "bad guy" : Moridin

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Favorite secondary character:

Sebben Baldwer

This guys is given A LOT, and I mean A LOT of screen time.

I am hopeful his role is explained in detail in the final book and he doesn't just *poof* die offscreen. Quite honestly I see him as the manifestation of Theoryland...the one who ferrets out little nuggets of info, the one who figures out this bit and that, then ties it all back together and reports. He is untrusting until you prove yourself, he can be quiet, stealthy, useful, spiteful. I like this little man and truly want him to survive. And not turn out to be evil incarnate.:eek:

Landro
07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
It's hard to name a single favorite scene so I'll list a few of my favorites

- Ingtar confessing to Rand and Begging for forgiveness. And then going off to to find his salvation.

- Rand's trip through the glass columns

- Birgitte revealing to Mat she knows he blew the horn.

- Verin betraying the BA to Egwene.

- Perrin figuring out what Balwer really did for a living and the interaction that follows.

- Nyneave (Strongest AS) Telling Daigian (weakest AS) that ranking AS by stength in the OP is unfair.

frenchie
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Favorite story arc: Rand's trip to see the history of the Aiel

Favorite scene. The Cleansing of saidin

Favorite main character: Rand

Favorite secondary character: Verin

Favorite book: Lord of Chaos

GonzoTheGreat
07-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Favorite secondary character:

Sebben Baldwer

This guys is given A LOT, and I mean A LOT of screen time.

I am hopeful his role is explained in detail in the final book and he doesn't just *poof* die offscreen. Quite honestly I see him as the manifestation of Theoryland...the one who ferrets out little nuggets of info, the one who figures out this bit and that, then ties it all back together and reports. He is untrusting until you prove yourself, he can be quiet, stealthy, useful, spiteful. I like this little man and truly want him to survive. And not turn out to be evil incarnate.:eek:
Maybe he is Bela's clever brother. After all, Sherlock Holmes had one too, didn't he?

Lupusdeusest
07-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Oh, but I love the concept of Evil Balwer. It's always been a pet of mine.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
08-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Favourite lines/rants: Surely a Mat quote.
Ahh...Mat. I do love it. Who was he talking to in that second quote? (I can't remember, but the nature of the responses makes me think of Thom.)

I just have to say that I can't stand Gawyn or Elayne. I'd rather hang out with Galad, even though I'd probably end up executed as a 'Darkfriend.' Actually, while we're at it, let's add Faile and Cadsuane to the list of "protagonists" that I can't stand.

Now, for the happy bits...

Favorite Comedy Duo: Mat and Talmanes are absolutely amazing together. Especially because of how often Mat reflects on the stiff, boringness of Talmanes.

Favorite Fight Scene: Mat vs. Galad & Gawyn - he could barely even stand up!

Just the First Favorite Moments That Come to Mind:

Perrin blacking out and killing two Whitecloaks the first time Hopper died (even though Perrin was still terrified of his connection to the wolves)
Mat reading the script on his Ashandarei for the first time (because that's when the Odin-connection finally clicked - yes, at the most obvious moment... good for me)
Rand finally breaking through the shield, busting out of the box, and sneaking around, stilling AS like a sniper at Dumai's Wells
Rand finally telling Cadsuane to get out of his face
Perrin witnessing Rand's transformation atop Dragonmount (for some reason, I'm really happy it was Perrin who got to witness that)
Verin
Pretty much anytime Lan gives Rand advice
And, this fantastic little interaction between Perrin and Leane, which I just read today (from Ch. 7, TGH):
"They're the only eyes I ever had," he growled. He felt a little abashed, speaking to an Aes Sedai in that tone, but he was as surprised as she when he took her gently by the arms and lifted her to one side, setting her down again out of his way. As they stared at each other, he wondered if his eyes were as wide with shock as hers. "Excuse me," he said again, and all but ran.

GonzoTheGreat
08-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Ahh...Mat. I do love it. Who was he talking to in that second quote? (I can't remember, but the nature of the responses makes me think of Thom.)
Favorite Comedy Duo: Mat and Talmanes are absolutely amazing together. Especially because of how often Mat reflects on the stiff, boringness of Talmanes.
TGS, Chapter 20, On a Broken Road

Landro
08-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Rand finally breaking through the shield, busting out of the box, and sneaking around, stilling AS like a sniper at Dumai's Wells

Rand only stilled the 3 AS who were left to maintain his shield. The others were only shielded and knocked out.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
TGS, Chapter 20, On a Broken Road
So... I unwittingly answered my own question? Awesome. Er... I mean... good job uncovering my purposeful attempt at in-post foreshadowing, Mr. The Great.

Rand only stilled the 3 AS who were left to maintain his shield.
Well, now you know why my name's not Munin. Thanks, Landro. By ruining that "memory," you probably saved me from a pretty disappointing, or confusing, reread of that scene.

And, now, some real foreshadowing, which I just read today:
Verin, TGH, Ch. 12 - "Well, child, remember that even a blackthorn bush has flowers sometimes, beautiful and white among the thorns."

Frenzy
08-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Favorite ta'veren: Honestly? Perrin. Rand's a sulky prat for most of the series, and Mat's a bit of a cliche. Fun, though.

Favorite of Rand's trio: Aviendha, then Elayne, then the plot device in pants.

Favorite support hero: Lan. he's a cliche too, but damn if he isn't badass. And Nynaeve rulez and is my favorite character in the series.

Favorite Aes Sedai: Moiraine, Siuan, Verin, Cadsuane. All have the air of mystery, the power, the self-sacrifice to reach their goals.

Favorite couple: Lan & Nynaeve. It makes the teenaged girl i was when i started reading this series all dreamy-eyed.

Favorite ruler: Sorelia. She is SO badass it defies logic.

Favorite Maiden of the Spear: Sulin. i'm convinced she's one of the top 3 best warriors in the series.

Favorite Great Captain: Tough one. Rodel Ituralde is downright brilliant, but i have to give props to Pedron Niall. He's like the Erwin Rommell of the series.

Favorite Ashaman: Don't really have one

Favorite Warder: Lan

Favorite Randland monarch: Ethenielle or Tenobia

Favorite Aiel Wise One: Sorelia. Therava was highly effective, but i still don't understand why she put up with Sevanna for so long.

Favorite battle scene: Seanchan attack on Tar Valon, and by the Last Stand in Emonds Field. Can't decide which I like better.

Favorite Foresaken: Semirhage, hands down. The others fought & hated each other, but they feared her. That's power.

Favorite Darkfriend: Mazrim Taim. Assuming the Last Battle is won, the damage he's done with the Black Tower will take centuries to repair.

Sinistrum
08-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Favorite ta'veren: Mat, he kicks ass and brings the comic relief. Him and Talmanes over the last two books have been priceless

Favorite of Rand's trio: Aviendha since I can empathize with wanting to stab people all the time

Favorite support hero: Elyas. The guy sneaks up on ninjas.

Favorite Aes Sedai: well since there are only four actual ones to choose from (Moiraine, Siuan, Egwene, and Verin) I'm going to say Egwene. The mark of a good character is evolution and she has done some serious evolving over the series into an outright badass.

Favorite couple: Mat and Tuon. Watching them spar has been fun.

Favorite ruler: Morgase, the only one to have actually broken free of a Forsaken's influence all on her own

Favorite Ashaman: Hopwil, poor guy took one for the team big time.

Favorite Warder: Birgette

Favorite battle scene: Battle of Tar Valon and Dumai's Well in a tie

Favorite Foresaken: Moridin

Favorite Darkfriend: Mehlindra, that sneaky little minx

Favorite Scenes: Perrin forging his hammer, alternate lives through the portal stone, Mat breaking into the Stone, Mat in the ter'angreal in Rhuidan, the Aes Sedai kneel to Rand, Mat coming to Salidar to "rescue" Egwene, Mat's 1st encounter with the Gholam, Moridin and Rand's dream chat, Egwene fragging to'raken by the handful,

Terez
08-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Really, Sini? I'd have pegged you for an Egwene-hater.

Sinistrum
08-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Oh I wasn't a fan at the beginning. She was an obnoxious know it all. The adam took her down a few pegs though as did the aiel wise ones. Once she got around siuan is when her character really took off. Like I said, she evolved. Her scene confronting elaida was awesome. She basically was the voice of the reader. Just like tam confronting cadsuane which was another one of my favorite scenes.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Just like tam confronting cadsuane which was another one of my favorite scenes.
What book/chapter was that in? I am very sad to say that I don't remember it, and I don't think I can wait for my re-read to get that far before revisiting it.

After re-reading EotW, I've started thinking that Tam might just be the ultimate greatest character in the series... or, at least, the most downright, plain ol' respectable one.

Good call on Perrin forging the hammer, and Mat vs. the gholam, by the way.

Sinistrum
08-08-2012, 12:27 AM
tGS, Reading the Commentary. Basically calls her out as the obnoxious, manipulative bully that she really is. Also forgot to mention Rand apologizing to the Aiel and Tam for being an idiot.

Ishara
08-08-2012, 07:25 AM
TITLE: The Gathering Storm

CHAPTER: 48 - Reading the Commentary

Tam cut off as he was suddenly lifted into the air by unseen hands. "You recall, perhaps, what I said about civility, boy?" Cadsuane asked. "Cadsuane!" Nynaeve said. "You don't need toŚ" "It's all right, Wisdom," Tam said. He looked at Cadsuane. Min had seen her treat others like this, including Rand. He had always grown frustrated, and others she did it to were prone to bellowing. Tam stared her in the eyes. "I've known men who, when challenged, always turn to their fists for answers. I've never liked Aes Sedai; I was happy to be rid of them when I returned to my farm. A bully is a bully, whether she uses the strength of her arm or other means." Cadsuane snorted, but the words had irked her, for she set Tam down.

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Sin & Ish. See? Respectable. Go Tam!

Yo, for real, though, Rand's apology to Tam (for nearly killing him, right?) is one of the moments that randomly pops into my head for no reason and brings tears to my eyes everytime. That, along with Mat's final gholam battle, Perrin's forging the hammer, Perrin's "...and the axe was a feather in his hands" for Hopper, and Nynaeve's refusal to leave imaginary Lan behind during her test for the shawl (i better not be misremembering that one).

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
"Well, thank you very much for that," he said bitterly. "You did not have to scare me to death just so you could tell me there is no need to be frightened!"

Thank you, Perrin. Some people think you're slow, but you're doing just fine. (Except for the whole thing about taking way too long to embrace wolfbrotherness. Oh, and the obsessing over Faile thing.)