PDA

View Full Version : TSR: Aviendha, Wise Ones and Dreamwalking

Tamyrlin
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Here are pertinent quotes to Aviendha, the Wise Ones and Dreamwalking (there are more, these are the ones up through chapter 23). As I've mentioned in the past, it has been my belief for quite some time that Aviendha and her importance was known to the Wise Ones through their Dreamwalking. I hadn't gone back to grab the pertinent quotes, but that seems proved out, at the very least, through The Shadow Rising. It's clear that Dreamwalking differs from Dreaming, in that Dreamwalking is Dream/Portal World/Future scanning, it's the ability to see the many possible futures with some clarity, but not all. Similar to what is seen in the Rings of Rhuidean, variations on the future and the outcome of those variations as the Wise Ones detail in these quotes. What also appears clear is Aviendha's importance to the Wise Ones. One of the reasons that they cite for their hastiness is "because Aviendha struggled so long against her toh". They needed Aviendha, and the reasons behind that became even more clear in ToM. The other reason for their Haste is Rand. Aviendha and Rand.

All of this is suggestive of the important role Aviendha will play, and makes it clear that Dark Dreamwalking would be a very vital skill to the Dark One. I'm hoping we come to find out that there was at least one of such.

Finally, while I won't get through to ToM to write my full theory on Nakomi, I like to think that the Wise One's knowledge and continued dreaming would at the very least have made them aware of Nakomi, if not that they played a clear part in that "deception" of a sort. I continue to believe that they did, but I do not have the quotes at the moment to back up that speculation.

One last thought: Aviendha sees very far into the future in her second walk through the columns, something I do not believe a Dreamwalker can do with any clarity. I wonder if they have misunderstood how to save the remnant because they are only capable of seeing some of the early future of the Aiel in variation, specifically the parts where the Aiel survive the Last Battle and the important role Aviendha's children seem to play in their continuing survival after that battle is over. But, that they do not see the darker future, and therefore are not capable of understanding just how important Aviendha's role will be to the actual remnant of a remnant of a remnant of a remnant.

The following quotes should make Dreamwalking and its potential clear to you, if you haven't read them in a while, and also it should be clear how powerful of a talent it really is and just how knowledgeable the Wise One Dreamwalkers are of what may come. And I love how Wise Ones are also capable of sensing Tel'aran'rhiod, sensing it's life of a sort, the life of dreams and walkers and how they are affecting T'A'R. I never focused on that in the past.

----

TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 39 - Threads in the Pattern
Rhuarc shrugged as if it were of no account. "The sept chiefs will take their turns, and try to decide if they truly wish to go Rhuidean when I die. I would not have come, except that Amys and Bair and Melaine and Seana stalked me like ridgecats after a wild goat. The dreams said I must go. They asked if I truly wanted to die old and fat in a bed."

TITLE: Dragon Reborn
CHAPTER: 39 - Threads in the Pattern
"You spoke of dreams," Egwene said. "Do your Wise Ones know what their dreams mean?" "Some Do. If you would know more than that, you must speak to them. Perhaps they will tell an Aes Sedai. They Do not tell men, except what the dreams say we must Do." He sounded tired, suddenly. "And that is usually what we would avoid, if we could."

TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 22 - Out of the Stone
"What would you suggest I do?" the Aes Sedai said dryly. "I can hardly drag him away by his ear. We may be about to see how useful Dreaming really is."

CHAPTER: 23 - Beyond the Stone
Rhuarc climbed the slope with a smile. "I am come back, Amys, though not by the way you expected, I will wager." "I knew you would be here today, shade of my heart." She reached up to touch his cheek, letting her brown shawl fall down onto her arms. "My sister wife sends her heart to you."

"That's what you meant about Dreaming," Egwene said softly to Moiraine. Lan was the only other close enough to hear. "That's why you were willing to let Rand try to bring us here by Portal Stone. They knew about it, and told you in that letter. No, that doesn't make sense. If they had mentioned a Portal Stone, you wouldn't have tried talking him out of it. They knew we'd be here, though.'.'

Moiraine nodded without taking her eyes from the Wise Ones. "They wrote that They would meet us here, on Chaendaer, today. I thought it ... unlikely . . . until Rand mentioned the Stones. When he was sure-certain beyond my dissuading-that one existed here. . , . Let us just say it suddenly seemed very likely we would reach Chaendaer today."

Amys seemed to have dismissed him already. "There is one who came with you, Rhuarc," she said. Egwene expected the woman to speak to her, but Amys's eyes swept straight to Rand. Moiraine was obviously not surprised. Egwene wondered what had been in that letter from these four Wise Ones that the Aes Sedai had not revealed.

"It is not permitted," Melaine said firmly, addressing her sisters. She pulled her shawl up to cover her head. "The law is clear. No woman may go to Rhuidean more than twice, No man more than once, and none at all save they have the blood of Aiel."

"Why do you call him that?" Moiraine asked when he was out of earshot. "One Man. Do you know him?" "We know of him, Aes Sedai." Amys made the title sound an address between equals. "The last of the Malkieri. The man who will not give up his war against the Shadow though his nation is long destroyed by it. There is much honor in him. I knew from the dream that if you came, it was almost certain Aan'allein would as well, but I did not know he obeyed you."

"He is my Warder," Moiraine said simply. Egwene thought the Aes Sedai was troubled despite her tone, and she knew why. Almost certain Lan would come with Moiraine? Lan always followed Moiraine; he would follow her into the Pit of Doom without blinking. Nearly as interesting to Egwene was "if you came." Had the Wise Ones known they were coming or not? Perhaps interpreting the Dream was not as straightforward as she hoped. She was about to ask, when Bair spoke.

Amys nodded grimly. "And was made to blubber like a child for each of them. I only ran away five times the second month. I thought I was as strong and hard as a woman could be. I was not smart, though; it took me half a year to learn you were stronger and harder than I could ever be, Bair. Eventually I learned my duty, my obligation to the people. As you will, Aviendha. Such as you and I, we have that obligation. you are not a child. It is time to put away dolls-and spears-and become the woman you are meant to be."

"In Rhuidean," Amys said, "you will find three rings, arranged so." She drew three lines in the air, joining together in the middle. "Step through any one. you will see your future laid before you, again and again, in variation. They will not guide you wholly, as is best, for They will fade together as do stories heard long ago, yet you will remember enough to know some things that must be, for you, despised as They may be, and some that must not, cherished hopes that They are. This is the beginning of being called wise. Some women never return from the rings; perhaps They could not face the future. Some who survive the rings do not survive their second trip to Rhuidean, to the heart. you are not giving up a hard and dangerous life for a softer, but for a harder and more dangerous."

"In Rhuidean," Amys said, "you will find three rings, arranged so." She drew three lines in the air, joining together in the middle. "Step through any one. You will see your future laid before you, again and again, in variation. They will not guide you wholly, as is best, for they will fade together as do stories heard long ago, yet you will remember enough to know some things that must be, for you, despised as they may be, and some that must not, cherished hopes that they are. This is the beginning of being called wise. Some women never return from the rings; perhaps they could not face the future. Some who survive the rings do not survive their second trip to Rhuidean, to the heart. You are not giving up a hard and dangerous life for a softer, but for a harder and more dangerous."

Melaine cupped Aviendha's chin and turned the younger woman's face to her. "You have the strength," she said with quiet conviction. "A strong mind and a strong heart are your weapons now, but you hold them as surely as you ever held a spear. Remember them, use them, and they will see you through anything."

When Aviendha passed out of sight, Egwene sighed and turned back to the Wise Ones. She had her own purpose here, and holding back from it would help no one. "Amys, in Tel'aran'rhiod you told me I should come to you to learn. I have." "Haste," the white haired woman said. "We have been hasty, because Aviendha struggled so long against her toh, because we feared the Shaido might don veils, even here, if we did not send Rand al'Thor into Rhuidean before they could think."

"You believe they'd have tried to kill him?" Egwene said. "But he's the one you sent people over the Dragonwall to find. he Who Comes With the Dawn." Bair shifted her shawl. "Perhaps he is. We shall see. If he lives."

"Of course you do," Bair murmured in a tone that said that was not the same thing at all. "you sent a letter to me in Tear," Moiraine said, "before I ever reached there. you said a great many things, some of which have proven true. Including that I would-must-meet you here today; you very nearly commanded me to be here. Yet earlier you said if I came. How much of what you wrote did you know to be true?"

Amys sighed and set aside her cup of wine, but it was Bair who spoke. "Much is uncertain, even to a dream walker. Amys and Melaine are the best of us, and even they do not see all that is, or all that can be."

"The present is much clearer than the future even in Tel'aran'rhiod," the sun haired Wise One said. "What is happening or beginning is more easily seen than what will happen, or may. We did not see Egwene or Mat Cauthon at all. It was no more than an even chance that, the young man who calls himself Rand al'Thor would come. If he did not, it was certain that he would die, and the Aiel too. Yet he has come, and if he survives Rhuidean, some of the Aiel at least will survive. This we know. If you had not come, he would have died. If Aan'allein had not come, you would have died. If you do not go through the rings-" She cut off as if she had bitten her tongue.

"There is no one set path to the future. The Pattern makes the finest lace look coarse woven sacking, or tangled string. In Tel'aran'rhiod it is possible to see some ways the future may be woven, no more than that."

Moiraine paused. "Does that make a difference, that I have been told?" "Perhaps a great difference," Bair said reluctantly, "perhaps none. We often guide, but We do not tell. When We saw you go to the rings, each time it was you who brought up going, who demanded the right though you have none of the blood. Now one of us has mentioned it first. Already there are changes from anything We saw. Who can say what they are?"

"And what did you see if I do not go?" Bair's wrinkled face was expressionless, but sympathy touched her pale blue eyes. "We have told too much already, Moiraine. what a dream walker sees is what is likely to happen, not what surely will. Those who move with too much knowledge of the future inevitably find disaster, whether from complacency at what they think must come or in their efforts to change it."

"It is the mercy of the rings that the memories fade," Amys said. "A woman knows some things-a few-that will happen; others she will not recognize until the decision is upon her, if then. Life is uncertainty and struggle, choice and change; one who knew how her life was woven into the Pattern as well as she knew how a thread was laid into a carpet would have the life of an animal. If she did not go mad. Humankind is made for uncertainty, struggle, choice and change."

"We saw nothing of this for you," Bair added in a milder tone. "We did not see you at all." "And I would not say yes if you asked," Amys went on. "Four are required for permission, and I would say no. you are here to learn to dreamwalk."

"Almost anyone can touch Tel'aran'rhiod, but few can truly enter it. Of all the Wise Ones, we four alone can dreamwalk, and your Tower has not produced a dreamwalker in nearly five hundred years. It is not a thing of the One Power, though Aes Sedai believe it is. I cannot channel, nor can Seana, yet we dreamwalk as well as Amys or Melaine. Many people brush the World of Dreams in their sleep. Because they only brush against it, they wake with aches or pains where they should have broken bones or mortal hurts. A dreamwalker enters the dream fully, therefore her injuries are real on waking. For one who is fully in the dream, dreamwalker or not, death there is death here. To enter the dream too completely, though, is to lose touch with the flesh; there is no way back, and the flesh dies. It is said that once there were those who could enter the dream in the flesh, and no longer be in this world at all. This was an evil thing, for they did evil; it must never be attempted, even if you believe it possible for you, for each time you will lose some part of what makes you human. You must learn to enter Tel'aran'rhiod when you wish, to the degree you wish."

You must learn to find what You need to find and read what You see, to enter the dreams of another close by in order to aid healing, to recognize those who are in the dream fully enough to harm You, to. ..."