PDA

View Full Version : What to read next?

Nisheeth
08-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I just finished reading New spring (I read it after finishing the main story).
Now I was having no book to read, and am unable to decide which one I should read.
Any suggestions?

Isabel
08-12-2012, 01:07 AM
It really depends on what kind of books you like and what you are looking for:)

For example if you are a woman I could advice some urban fantasy. Some men also like it, but I wouldn't standardly advice to read Laurell K Hamilton. :D (just to give an example) I don't think I would advice anyone to read LKH anymore.

There are also good stand alone books or SF or whatever:p

So say what you are looking for and what you have read and liked.

Nisheeth
08-12-2012, 02:03 AM
I am male to begin with!
I like fantasy and sci-fi as a second choice.

Books I have read, and like quite a bit:
Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin
Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

These are the ones that come to me at the top of my mind. My preference would be a story with a dark protagonist (Dark Rand is why TGS is my favorite of the 13 books), or one with Gray and Gray morality, or Black and Black morality.

I would prefer series over Stand Alones.

Isabel
08-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Some recommendation:
- the coldfire trilogy by c.s. friedman
- the series by abercombe.
- the prince of nothing by bakker.
- you might like steven eriksen as well.
- have you read robin hobb, the assasin series? Not really gray, but it is very emotional.

Nisheeth
08-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Ah Thanks.
I had read nothing from those listed, and I think I will start with either Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice (that is the one I found), or The Prince of nothing.
Thanks again.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Definitely recommend the Sanderson Mistborn series, they've got the High Fantasy meets Ocean's Eleven sort of feel.

Trudy Canavan also has a series called The Age of the Five, which I actually liked even better than the Black Magician, her "storyteller's voice" is more grown-up. Totally different world though, so don't expect Sonea to pop up anywhere.

Duology: Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman is really pacy and interesting.

Both Goodman and Canavan are Australian (iirc), so it gives their world-building a slightly different feel compared to American writers.

Speaking of Australian: Ian Irvine has several series... the first part is I think A View from the mirror (?) I always forget because I read the second quadrilogy first by accident. And, I like the Geomancer quadrilogy (the second one, that is) best. Very dark world, you might quite like it.

Isabel
08-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I hope you like them. Those are not the best series ever, but series with Gray and Gray morality, or Black and Black morality.
Although the Assasin series is an exception on that list:p

Sarevok
08-12-2012, 01:15 PM
The Wheel of Time FAQ. (http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/)

Nisheeth
08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I hope you like them. Those are not the best series ever, but series with Gray and Gray morality, or Black and Black morality.
Although the Assasin series is an exception on that list:p
I am just started the Assassin series, and I think I will enjoy reading it. I didn't find the Prince of Nothing at the bookstore though, so it seems I won't be able to get to read it for quite some time.

Definitely recommend the Sanderson Mistborn series, they've got the High Fantasy meets Ocean's Eleven sort of feel.

Trudy Canavan also has a series called The Age of the Five, which I actually liked even better than the Black Magician, her "storyteller's voice" is more grown-up. Totally different world though, so don't expect Sonea to pop up anywhere.

Duology: Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman is really pacy and interesting.

Both Goodman and Canavan are Australian (iirc), so it gives their world-building a slightly different feel compared to American writers.

Speaking of Australian: Ian Irvine has several series... the first part is I think A View from the mirror (?) I always forget because I read the second quadrilogy first by accident. And, I like the Geomancer quadrilogy (the second one, that is) best. Very dark world, you might quite like it.
I will definitely read The Age of the Five, probably after the Farseer.

Davian93
08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I just picked up American Gods by Neal Gaiman.

Has anyone else read it? Is it good?

~please no spoilers~

GonzoTheGreat
08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
I think I've read that, but I can't remember anything at all about it. Thus, no spoilers, as asked.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-14-2012, 12:50 PM

~please no spoilers~

the story was interesting, but I didn't like the overall book. I didn't find his reality believable I guess and the techie tie didn't enthrall me at all. His female characters bothered me quite a bit.

Figbiscuit
08-16-2012, 07:24 AM

~please no spoilers~

I've added that to my wish list for my Kindle on the recommendation of a friend who loved it. She is quite into mythology and enjoyed trying to work out which the gods were he represented.

I have read Good Omens, however, and I loved that. Absolutely loved it.

Daekyras
08-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Hey yks,

I have tried to read trudi canavan. To this day she is the only writer for whom i have started a series and not finished. I just don't click with her at all.

For a little while i thought I was being misogynistic(though it has never been my way) and wasn't giving her a chance but tried twice since then and still can't get into her style of writing or plot structure.

It's a little furiating to me as I think i'm a bit OCD about reading series in order and entirety!

Does anyone else have a writer they just don't click with?

And I said writer, so no Goodkind!