PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs: Shadowspawn of a long forgotten age

Ashan alKoor
08-17-2012, 04:14 AM
I wrote up a theory and submitted it last weekend, but haven't seen anything appear. Not sure if I didn't follow the steps correctly.

Without having the submitted text (can't find a way to check my theory's status) I can only give you a brief rundown of what I typed.

Basically it all boils down to RJ admitting that the WoT series takes place in our world, and is both our future and past. I cite a few references here, Merk and Mosk, Lenn and the moon. I cited the interview in which he said the name of his world was Earth, and a different one telling that it was our past and future.

So with that in mind, where would dinosaurs fit into RJ's big picture of the wheel of time? They had to come from somewhere, and since the current shadowspawn were all created by Aginor (or a byproduct of his creations) after a long period in which the world forgot about the dark one, is it not plausible that dinosaurs were the shadowspawn of an age before ours, when we knew of the dark one?

Thoughts on this? For those who might think that i'm over-analyzing, RJ placed a lot of references to our world, and liked to link the ages together. Wouldn't he have thought about where dinosaurs fit into it?

The Unreasoner
08-17-2012, 06:05 AM
If anything, I think you're under-analyzing. Dinosaurs are probably natural creatures. For one thing, there would probably be no Darkfriends around to make them, for another there would be no Darkfriends around to use them.

Best case scenario is that in another Age, a Darkfriend brings dinosaurs in from a Mirror World where they haven't gone extinct, and then puts them to use. Sort of like the exotics.

Although of course: why? Dinosaurs are stupid and primitive. Probably useless in battle. Not that Trollocs are much better, but they are much closer to humans than they are lizards in terms of intelligence. Sure they look intimidating, but so do s'redit, to'raken, Draghkar. Basically, I think the Shadow can do better, one way or another. Exotics or genetic engineering. But dinosaurs? No.

Zombie Sammael
08-17-2012, 07:00 AM
There's a dinosaur skeleton in the Panarch's Palace in Tanchico.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I wrote up a theory and submitted it last weekend, but haven't seen anything appear. Not sure if I didn't follow the steps correctly.

FYI, There is a large queue of submitted theories. They require review by Tamyrlin, discussion, then posting if deemed acceptable, thoughtful, suprising, discussion-worthy, etc. You may have a wait, you may have your hopes dashed, you may be ignored altogether. ;)

Your post is a good alternative for discussion if you want to pursue off-the-wall ideas as this may lean that way in most eyes. Nonetheless, Welcome.

Terez
08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, theory submissions should definitely come with a warning: save your theory in a file of your own or you might never see it again.

Ishara
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
LOL - basically. But don't let that discourage you! Duplicate your efforts and post here on the forums as well!

As to your initial thoughts, I'd agree that while it may be tempting to think of dinosaurs as shadowspawn, I think the Occam's Razor solution is best here - they're just a relic of our Age.

Marie Curie 7
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
The thing is that extinct animals such as dinosaurs were not really accounted for by RJ in the world of the Wheel, even though it's supposed to be a future/past Earth:

tarvalon.net Q&A, Feb 26th, 2003 (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=180#8)

Question: In the Wheel of Time mythos, how do extinct animals come back into existence when the Wheel comes back around?

Robert Jordan: Well, the world I created is based on the ideas and conceptions of the world from a roughly medieval viewpoint; time being circular and such. I didn't quite try to make it completely scientifically accurate, so there really is no answer for the question.