PDA

View Full Version : Obama says Palin's pregnant daughter "off limits"

JSUCamel
09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/?last_story=/politics/war_room/2008/09/01/obama_responds/

Davian93
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
~looks at McCain~

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Hell of a pick you senile old man!

tanaww
09-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I think she should be off limits. The fact that her 17 year old daughter made a poor decision and is accepting the consequences of that decision with the love and support of her family is hardly a political issue. She will have a hard enough time even without the press on her ass 24/7.

I am also sickened when McCain's adopted daughter is made a political issue. First off, don't discriminate between biological, step- and adopted children. Second, leave the kids alone. They have a right to privacy and they are not the candidate.

Obama's a classy guy for telling people to leave Bristol Palin alone. They should!

Davian93
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I heard that they're having a quickie wedding to make it look better....that's real smart. You should ruin a 17 year olds life in order to help your political career.

I heard a nastier rumor going around that the girl's baby brother is actually her kid too but that they're pretending its her brother instead...I personally think that one's BS but that's the stuff that's already going around becuase of this moronic pick on McCain's part.

tanaww
09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I think it's more of a quickie wedding because culturally that is just what is done. I doubt Sarah's political career is a factor. My reading suggests that she was very up front with the McCain campaign about the situation before she was chosen as the VP nominee.

And given the timelines, It isn't possible for the youngest Palin to be his sister's baby. He was born in April. If she's due in December, she got pregnant in February or March, right? If every one in the world were held accountable for the stupid things their teenage children do EVEN THOUGH WE TOLD THEM NOT TO (ahem!), it would be a really bizarre world, no?

And given the other options available, I'd hardly call Palin a moronic pick. It got me thinking about voting McCain.

Instead, I'm pretty sure I'll write-in myself.

Davian93
09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Oh, I don't think its true Tana...I'm just repeating what I've already seen about the situation...pretty sad what people come up with eh?

She has no experience and is unqualified...even if I agreed completely with her politics that would turn me off.

Also, you know and I know that this will be held against Palin by some...they'll say if she can't run her own household how could she possibly ever be prepared to be VP...etc etc etc.

I find the situation hilarious.

irerancincpkc
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
The right move by Obama, I think, and he does have serious control over his campaign, so I don't think we will be hearing anything about it from them.

And as evil as I think Sarah Quayle Palin is, this sort of thing (unfortunatly) happens all the time, sometimes to people with excellent parents.

Obama and the democrats don't need to attack her on this when there are so many other things. We don't need to act like Republicans would in the same situation.

tanaww
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Also, you know and I know that this will be held against Palin by some...they'll say if she can't run her own household how could she possibly ever be prepared to be VP...etc etc etc.

RS and B are two of my children. Does this mean I can't be President?

I mean, I'm sorry. I've got other issues with Sarah Palin but her daughter getting knocked up isn't one of them. Serves her right for that Abstinence Only bullshit. Anyone who thinks children don't have sex because their parents don't want them to is just, well, naive.

Hopper
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Ummmmm . . . . . considering your choice for VP, your kids are the least of your worries.

Ozymandias
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't think that it needs to be pointed out by Obama. This isn't an issue which is going to sway the crucial middle of the road voters. This is the kind of thing thats going to sandbag McCain's support among the people he needs most; religious right wingers. Thats the bread and butter of the Republican voters, and without them they don't have a shot. McCain isn't particularly popular among church pews anyways, and what does this say?

Who cares if they're pro life - for a platform that advocates abstinence, the very fact of the pregnancy works against them.

Palin = worst choice for VP in the history of bad choices.

Frenzy
09-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Um, Spiro Agnew ozy? Andrew Johnson? Aaron Burr?!? i don't study history, but even i know those three are worse than a rookie from oil country.

Terez
09-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Um, Spiro Agnew ozy? Andrew Johnson? Aaron Burr?!? i don't study history, but even i know those three are worse than a rookie from oil country.
Only because they proved themselves worse in office. At this stage in the game, they looked good compared to her. :p

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 06:10 AM
And I've always been a staunch defender of Andrew Johnson, for some reason...

Mort
09-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I heard that they're having a quickie wedding to make it look better....that's real smart. You should ruin a 17 year olds life in order to help your political career.

I read somewhere that Palin is a good (?) christian follower, so whatever the campaign says, maybe her religion says a wedding must happen now.

Ozymandias
09-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Only because they proved themselves worse in office. At this stage in the game, they looked good compared to her. :p

terez nailed it ;)

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't think that it needs to be pointed out by Obama. This isn't an issue which is going to sway the crucial middle of the road voters. This is the kind of thing thats going to sandbag McCain's support among the people he needs most; religious right wingers. Thats the bread and butter of the Republican voters, and without them they don't have a shot. McCain isn't particularly popular among church pews anyways, and what does this say?

Who cares if they're pro life - for a platform that advocates abstinence, the very fact of the pregnancy works against them.

Nope. She's better than Quayle. Simply because she can speak. Or at least inner-ear transmitter technology has advanced. By the way, will there be any attempts to make sure that the debates - both presidential and vice presidential - are not simply the candidates repeating what their campaigns whisper in their ears a la W?

I don't think this pregnancy thing will do anything to drive away the Evangelicals. They were very energized by the choice - another reason it is not as dumb as it looks. This still may be a masterful choice given the Republican's proven ability to distract from the issues.

EDIT: This is what I want to see investigated rather than pot-smoking and poor choices from her family. Granted the source has a lean (not faux news lean though), but still, this is the stuff Im hearing. Close ties with lobbying firms that got her 7k population town $29 million in pork. Tight with the Stevens and other corrupt Alaskan politicos until very recently. On board with the Bridge to Nowhere until very recently.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26504638

Davian93
09-02-2008, 07:30 AM

I mean, I'm sorry. I've got other issues with Sarah Palin but her daughter getting knocked up isn't one of them. Serves her right for that Abstinence Only bullshit. Anyone who thinks children don't have sex because their parents don't want them to is just, well, naive.

LOL...I agree completely Tana...I guarantee it will still happen...kinda like people holding Obama's muslim faith against him.;)

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I do get a kick out of Dobson, et al rushing to praise the Palin family for handling all of this. You know damn well they would be frothing at the mouth and starting a lynch mob if the shoe were on the other foot.

For the record, I don't think it should matter at all. Nor does the DUI 22 years ago or whatever. Nor does her smoking legal pot (or hell, illegal for me. probably would get a small number of points in my book for that...not a lot, but a couple :D ).

What bothers me is that this is clearly a gimmick choice. All surface and very little substance (not none, like Quayle, but not a lot). And I think it might just work, which galls the crap out of me. Putting the earpiece in in the debate. Having the campaign proxies parade the kid around. Pointing out how brutal and mean it is to ask any tough questions to this cute, All-American hockey-mom. I have a bad feeling about this to be honest.

Oh, and while I said that Dick Cheney was the best insurance policy Bush could have, if McCain wins, he best keep an eye on his own party. I have no doubts that there are many on the Right who would see it as God's Will to have an anti-choice creationist in the top-job.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I read somewhere that Palin is a good (?) christian follower, so whatever the campaign says, maybe her religion says a wedding must happen now.

She's Roman Catholic...though according to Ozy that's the only true Christians.;)

Davian93
09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26501863/

Can we say "Whoopsy"?

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Well, now they are starting betting on whether or not Palin will withdraw from the ticket. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/prediction-market-starts_n_123136.html)

At first I thought that sounded absurd, but with everything that has came up, (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/members-of-frin.html) I'm not sure anymore.

Crispin's Crispian
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
At first I thought that sounded absurd, but with everything that has came up, I'm not sure anymore.

Really, has that much come up, or is it just that we didn't know anything about her at all until last week? We knew about the ethic thing when she was first under consideration. The other few things are so minor and so few that I don't see how they're relevant.

Take any 10 seasoned Washington politicians and I'd bet you'd find nine with more "suspicious backgrounds" than Palin.

Sei'taer
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
EDIT: This is what I want to see investigated rather than pot-smoking and poor choices from her family. Granted the source has a lean (not faux news lean though), but still, this is the stuff Im hearing. Close ties with lobbying firms that got her 7k population town $29 million in pork. Tight with the Stevens and other corrupt Alaskan politicos until very recently. On board with the Bridge to Nowhere until very recently.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26504638

I'm not defending her, but I want to make a point. this is one of the things I get into in my job. We hire lobbyists all the time. For instance, we are getting ready to do a 7 mile long road project with the town next door and the funding from the state and the feds...about $18 mill and another $4 mill added in by us. We also get a lot of money for park land improvemants and every city in the country fights over sewer upgrade (and water upgrade) money as I'm sure Frenzy can tell you. Sometimes, it comes to the state first and is then distributed to the counties and cities that way. I can't necessarily say that there is anything bad about that part of the story.

Terez
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
And I've always been a staunch defender of Andrew Johnson, for some reason...
Oh god there really is something wrong with you...

Terez
09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Really, has that much come up, or is it just that we didn't know anything about her at all until last week? We knew about the ethic thing when she was first under consideration. The other few things are so minor and so few that I don't see how they're relevant.
Like her not even having any idea what the vice president does as of a couple of weeks ago?

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh god there really is something wrong with you...
Can't you take a joke? :D

Davian93
09-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Andrew Johnson did prevent the Radical Republicans from forming a military dictatorship in the Post Civil War era. Being a southerner you should appreciate that. It was a major part of the reason he was impeached. He's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be.

The Palin pick is up there with the Harriet Maiers SCOTUS pick by Bush...both had about the same amount of thought behind them.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Take any 10 seasoned Washington politicians and I'd bet you'd find nine with more "suspicious backgrounds" than Palin.

The difference is that with any 10 seasoned Washington politicians, you will have a record to hold up against the big question marks. With Palin, all you have is a decent claim to some competency on the energy issue.

Terez
09-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Andrew Johnson did prevent the Radical Republicans from forming a military dictatorship in the Post Civil War era.
Do you really think that what happened instead was better? Being a southerner you should appreciate that.
I don't appreciate trading one extreme for another, sorry. It was a major part of the reason he was impeached.
The second time. :p

Davian93
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Considering our democracy very well could have collapsed into a 1 party system with the Radical Republicans and Edwin Stanton in charge, yes I do think the what did happen was much much better in comparison. Johnson took one for the team by standing firm against them.

Terez
09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Considering our democracy very well could have collapsed into a 1 party system with the Radical Republicans and Edwin Stanton in charge, yes I do think the what did happen was much much better in comparison.
You might not feel the same if you were a poor black guy raised in the South. ;)

Davian93
09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
You might not feel the same if you were a poor black guy raised in the South. ;)

The Jim Crow laws weren't a result of Johnson's stand...a Republican dictatorship would have been horrible for the country. I doubt blacks would have been any better off if that had happened.

Sodas
09-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Wow, did this story blow up. I was at a BBQ last night, when one of my friends mentioned it to me out of thin air.

I told him the same thing I say now -

the mainstream media loves sex scandels, and anything even remotely close. So it's no surprise that this is the biggest story of the day.

In fact, I expect it to drip as the days go by, particularly if this "redneck" boyfriend decides to get cold feet.

But this story has nothing on the revelations about Palin's membership in the Alaska Independance Party. That is a bigger story, and it tells more about who exactly Palin is. However, with all the investigation going into Palin's daughter and the arguments on experience, it seems it will be lost in the noise.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 10:09 AM
But this story has nothing on the revelations about Palin's membership in the Alaska Independance Party. That is a bigger story, and it tells more about who exactly Palin is. However, with all the investigation going into Palin's daughter and the arguments on experience, it seems it will be lost in the noise.

Yes...a dumb hick from Alaska who blows whichever way the wind is blowing. You can't tell me there wasn't a more qualified FEMALE republican McCain wanted to pick for his gimmick. Hutchinson anyone?

My theory is this: McCain had a massive stroke while watching an IceTruckers/Deadliest Catch marathon on the History Channel and the only words he could utter were "Alaska, Alaska" He's since been replaced with a look alike (Think the movie "Dave") and they went with what they thought was his dying wish to have a VP from "alaska".

Sinistrum
09-02-2008, 10:20 AM
The Jim Crow laws weren't a result of Johnson's stand...a Republican dictatorship would have been horrible for the country. I doubt blacks would have been any better off if that had happened.

Actually yes they were. Johnson was adamantly opposed to both civil rights Amendments being proposed post war or any attempts to adequately enforce them. Literally read, the 14th and 15th Amendment clearly forbid Jim Crow, Literacy tests, ect. It was Johnson's refusal to enforce them through the military governships that directly lead to them being virtually meaningless for 80 some odd years and thus allowed the reconstituted Southern governments to come in and gut them.

tanaww
09-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah so her hubby got a DUI 22 years ago when he was approximately 22. I don't care.

She told her kids not to have sex until they were married. Her kids don't listen. I don't care.

Her sister's ex-husband is a douche who used a taser on his own son and needed to be fired for numerous cases of gross misconduct so he was. I don't care.

She's got no experience on a national stage. That I care about. Frankly I think McCain was maybe a fan of the terrible sitcom with Geena Davis playing the President after ascending to the office after the death of the elected President and thought that might be cool to try in real life. You know...just in case he gets sick.

I used to like McCain before he let the right castrate him. Now he's a parody of all that is wrong with the Republican Party and the religious right. I don't give a rat's ass who his VP nominee is. I'm not voting for him.

And I'm smart enough to look through the smoke and mirrors to see the real issues and leave the Enquirer bits where they belong.

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 10:31 AM
It amazes me that hasn't gotten more attention; only the political junkies seem to really know about it.

Terez
09-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I knew about it but I'm not a political junkie. I just go to lots of forums, and there are threads about her at all of them (hard to keep up with what's being said in which ones). So I knew about it cause I'm a forum junkie. :D

Terez
09-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Look how smart she is! (http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html)

11. Are you offended by the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

SP: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I'll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance. :rolleyes:

Crispin's Crispian
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Look how smart she is! (http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html)

:rolleyes:

Well c'mon, Terez. That phrase has been part of the Pledge for longer than Alaska has been a state, so it was good enough for Alaska's "Founding Fathers."

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
~shudders after reading her moronic responses~

Parents know best...blah blah blah. Um Sarah? Parents don't always know best. On another note, I wasn't aware that marriage was defined in the Constitution...SINCE ITS A STATE ISSUE YOU F@*@ING MORON!!!

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Forgot this bit from the same questionaire...

3. Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?
JB: We should not exclude abstinence-until-marriage education programs.
SP: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.
FM: No Response

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I wasn't aware that marriage was defined in the Constitution...lol...in her defense, it's possible she was referring to Alaska's Constitution.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
lol...in her defense, it's possible she was referring to Alaska's Constitution.

She's still an unqualifed moron.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Forgot this bit from the same questionaire...

3. Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?
JB: We should not exclude abstinence-until-marriage education programs.
SP: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.
FM: No Response

Awkward...LOL

Terez
09-02-2008, 11:19 AM
She's still an unqualifed moron.
Can't argue with that. :D

Davian93
09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I thought it interesting that she wouldn't support abortion in cases of rape...I wonder if her opinion would be different if she actually went through that experience? I'm guessing it might very well be.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2008, 11:28 AM
ROTFLMAO

Bob Barr's the Libertarian Candidate, right?

Davian93
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
The quickvote poll on CNN.com asked the following question:

"Should voters care that Gov. Palin unwed teen daughter is pregnant?"

33% answered YES

So it does matter even if its stupid. Who cares if Juno's having a kid...it doesnt change a damn thing for the rest of us...BTW that movie sucked.

Sodas
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM
What I'd like to know more about is why does she drink a latte every day? Clearly, latte drinking is for liberals.

/snark

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, from someone who has foreign policy experience because Alaska is close to Russia, what do you expect? :D She is a nightmare. I really, really can't believe McCain picked her. I must having been giving him too much credit...

Davian93
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, from someone who has foreign policy experience because Alaska is close to Russia, what do you expect? :D She is a nightmare. I really, really can't believe McCain picked her. I must having been giving him too much credit...

I know I was...he really sold his soul to the Far Right...or he was really this wacky all along and was fooling all of us Independants.

Go...Obama?!?

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I know I was...he really sold his soul to the Far Right...or he was really this wacky all along and was fooling all of us Independants.

Go...Obama?!?

I think a little bit of both, leaning on the soul-selling.

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Heck, I'm starting to think Romney looks good in comparasion.

But I would like to thank McCain. It should make this election that much easier. :D

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Heck, I'm starting to think Romney looks good in comparasion.

But I would like to thank McCain. It should make this election that much easier. :D

Don't be too sure, Spammer. If people don't look past the surface - which I think most people don't - they will see a very attractive, moose-eating, gun-toting, mom-of-five-including-a-heartwarming-down's-syndrome-baby who has tackled the status quo and can effectively spout whatever line is whispered into the speaker in her ear. She will mobilize the base - which is a strategy that has worked for Republicans in the last 2 elections. And she is a woman.

The Republican Party has a spin/bait/switch/lie machine that the Dems can't begin to match - even the Clintons.

And then there is Diebold and SCOTUS for when it gets close.

Oh. And Obama is black. Which we will be reminded of in some subtle and not-so-subtle ways in the days before the election.

So I don't think for a second that this move hands the election to Obama. The Republican party has staked everything on the gamble that the American public won't do its homework and look past the surface of things. It has worked before and there is every likelihood that it will work again.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Sadly Ivhon is right in his assessment. The American people are for the most part stupid...we will possibly find out just how stupid they are in about 2 months.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 01:10 PM
On this pregnancy thing.

I have no problem with the daughter getting pregnant. Technically, I don't think that should be an election issue.

However, I do question what kind of mother knowingly subjects her teenage daughter to the embarrassment, shame and national attention this will cause. Politicians are supposed to do everything they can to keep their children OUT of the spotlight and she has put her daughter squarely in it in order to pursue her political ambitions.

Now. I could be wrong and assuming that a seventeen year-old pregnant out of wedlock kid who grew up in an abstinence-only household is going to be shamed and embarrassed by this. Maybe she doesn't give a shit. But I highly, highly doubt it.

Sei'taer
09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
On this pregnancy thing.

I have no problem with the daughter getting pregnant. Technically, I don't think that should be an election issue.

However, I do question what kind of mother knowingly subjects her teenage daughter to the embarrassment, shame and national attention this will cause. Politicians are supposed to do everything they can to keep their children OUT of the spotlight and she has put her daughter squarely in it in order to pursue her political ambitions.

Now. I could be wrong and assuming that a seventeen year-old pregnant out of wedlock kid who grew up in an abstinence-only household is going to be shamed and embarrassed by this. Maybe she doesn't give a shit. But I highly, highly doubt it.

First off. I agree with everyone about the pregnancy and I don't think people need to be too hard on her daughter. Ann Dunham was only eighteen and not married when she got pregnant with Barack...they got married six months before he was born. It happens to a lot of people and hopefully it will work out for her.

Second, to Ivhon. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a father with a 17 yr old daughter. I know if it was me being offered the VP and my daughter came up pregnant, and I turned it down because of that, she's is attuned enough to the world that she would feel like my not taking the VP job was her fault. Kids already think that adults blame them for a host of other things, when in reality it isn't true. How many kids so you know that think their parents got divorced because they were bad? Possibly she could be feeling that way anyway, scared to death she is going to cost her mother this oppotunity. Anyway, i don't know if I'm right or wrong, but thats my perspective.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
First off. I agree with everyone about the pregnancy and I don't think people need to be too hard on her daughter. Ann Dunham was only eighteen and not married when she got pregnant with Barack...they got married six months before he was born. It happens to a lot of people and hopefully it will work out for her.

Second, to Ivhon. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a father with a 17 yr old daughter. I know if it was me being offered the VP and my daughter came up pregnant, and I turned it down because of that, she's is attuned enough to the world that she would feel like my not taking the VP job was her fault. Kids already think that adults blame them for a host of other things, when in reality it isn't true. How many kids so you know that think their parents got divorced because they were bad? Possibly she could be feeling that way anyway, scared to death she is going to cost her mother this oppotunity. Anyway, i don't know if I'm right or wrong, but thats my perspective.

Two sides I guess. If it were me, I would turn it down and never let my family know that it was even offered. I certainly would agree with you that it would be wrong to give the kid any reason to think that you blame her for costing the opportunity.

On the other hand, I think it could very well be likely that this young lady could wind up deeply resenting having been put in a position where her dirty laundry is aired in front of the entire nation. Especially if McCain loses.

It may just be me, but I think talking and communicating through the first situation would be a WHOLE lot easier, since its all in the family and you dont have the entire nation involved.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Especially if McCain loses.

Ahem...When McCain Loses. ;)

Sei'taer
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
On the other hand, I think it could very well be likely that this young lady could wind up deeply resenting having been put in a position where her dirty laundry is aired in front of the entire nation. Especially if McCain loses.

yup, thats a good possibility too. I hate that any of the kids are brought into this on either side I got really pissed the other night when someone asked how she was going to handle her job with all those kids. I was screaming at the TV "Have you ever heard of Joe Biden! He did it with 2 kids and no other parent, you dumbshit!"

btw, my wife thinks I'm crazy when I talk to the TV.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
yup, thats a good possibility too. I hate that any of the kids are brought into this on either side I got really pissed the other night when someone asked how she was going to handle her job with all those kids. I was screaming at the TV "Have you ever heard of Joe Biden! He did it with 2 kids and no other parent, you dumbshit!"

btw, my wife thinks I'm crazy when I talk to the TV.

If it helps, I do the same thing Taer.

Isn't it funny that when a man with kids holds a job its nothing special but if a mother (and I emphasize the word MOTHER) does anything other than sit in the kitchen barefoot, the newsmedia acts as if she's just cured cancer. "How will this mother of 5 handle a job?" You never ever hear "How will this father of 5 handle a job".

I hate the newsmedia.

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Ahem...When McCain Loses. ;)
Davian, is that really you? :D

Not that I'm complaining...

Ivhon, she hasn't really gotten any good press, which makes me optimistic. I totally see what you're saying though, sadly, I guess.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
By Ivhon:

Oh. And Obama is black. Which we will be reminded of in some subtle and not-so-subtle ways in the days before the election.

WTF?

Want to bring up race a little more, Ivhon? Maybe call him "this little black boy" or say "the great majority of blacks will definitely be voting for Obama because he's black, and they feel a great sense of pride in him"?

Why the hell is anyone hung up on that fact? And why the hell do the Democrats keep bringing it up?

It's sad to me that people on both sides seem so hung up on race and gender...

The pro- and con- advocates of every thing in this election are making me sick with their hypocrisy.

It's also very funny how people are determining for the American public what is "off limits". Aren't decrees so much fun!?

Davian93
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Wait a minute?!? Obama's black???

In other news, it was Palin's hubby that was a secessionist...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_politics

But in BREAKING NEWS: Palin may have voted for Pat Buchanan!!! (its towards the bottom of the article)

Davian93
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
And its started: Attacks on Palin labeled "Sexist". (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/)

Seriously WTF? We're not allowed to say she's unqualified because that's sexist? Seriously if this was a guy he already would have been laughed off the stage. Simply put we all know the only reason she was even considered was that she's female.

Go Obama.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey, some supporters of Obama are saying that if you oppose Obama, you are a racist, regardless of whether anything you disagree with is actually based on race.

Supporters of Hillary Clinton also said the same thing while she was running.

Turn about is fair play on this one.

From that article, I do think that Obama's contention that he has more executive experience is funny, considering he said "I think that our ability to manage large systems and to execute I think has been made clear over the last couple of years."

At least he acknowledges that it isn't his ability...

Both sides are screwed up and hypocritical in this one.

Davian93
09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Bryan, we both know she's unqualified...I for one am not willing to place her a heartbeat away for the big chair.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Unqualified or not, turn about is fair play. The Democrats shouldn't have been using those tactics if they didn't want them turned against them.

The only ones that are even remotely qualified, and I use remotely in a very strong manner, are McCain and Biden.

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Wait a minute?!? Obama's black???

In other news, it was Palin's hubby that was a secessionist...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_politics

But in BREAKING NEWS: Palin may have voted for Pat Buchanan!!! (its towards the bottom of the article)

Oh, he readily recalls that she was part of his organization. And in fact was quite zealous in it.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Go Porn-Stache Barr!

Davian, would you be interested in starting a new political party? ;)

Ivhon
09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
WTF?

Want to bring up race a little more, Ivhon? Maybe call him "this little black boy" or say "the great majority of blacks will definitely be voting for Obama because he's black, and they feel a great sense of pride in him"?

Because I have seen the Republican party throw last minute race-reminders in tight elections before and it has cost the black candidate. Contrary to the right-wing spin machine that you are buying, Obama has only brought race into the equation in response to his opponent(s) and their more prominent mouthpieces.

Why the hell is anyone hung up on that fact? And why the hell do the Democrats keep bringing it up?

See above. Several Southern states are in play. Republicans have made race an issue in the South before and had it work. Stands to reason they will do so again.

It's sad to me that people on both sides seem so hung up on race and gender...

Could not agree more. However, this is the world we live in. Witness the Democratic primary exit polls in Kentucky and W.Virginia.

The pro- and con- advocates of every thing in this election are making me sick with their hypocrisy.

Not exactly sure what you mean. I hope you arent calling me a hypocrite.

[/quote]It's also very funny how people are determining for the American public what is "off limits". Aren't decrees so much fun!?[/QUOTE]

It is up to the individual to determine his or her limits as far as smear campaigning is concerned (I think you are referring to Obama/Biden saying that the preggo girl is off-limits). Personally, I think it is a good sign that the campaigns are drawing some lines. The Republicans, as usual, are saying that they want a clean campaign but running almost entirely negative - and starting the attack adds, btw. I think the Democrats are trying to keep it on the issues, but you can't just sit there and be a punching bag when the other side slanders you. Cost Kerry the election last time.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
So, it is better to preemptive strike the race issue?

irerancincpkc
09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, like McCain saying if you don't vote for him you aren't a true American, right? :D But unlike Obama in such untruths, McCain doesn't emphatically deny them, like Obama has done with the race factor.

Obama's already proven he is willing to take the high-road in attacks, specifically by not allowing his campaign or supporters at all to question Palin's parenting. We know had it been Obama's seventeen year old daughter, we would never hear the end of the right wing complaining and preaching about the Godless and sinful left.

Bryan Blaire
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Who, exactly, is this "right wing" you keep talking about? I'm fairly certain that I'm probably considered part of that, and frankly don't care about Obama's parenting abilities either...

McCain is an idiot, I kinda feel that much is self-evident. Obama is obviously very intelligent, but stands on the wrong side of many issues for me.

And why are people still harping on "Nationalized Health Care"? Doesn't everyone realize that we already have that in the US?

Davian93
09-02-2008, 07:32 PM

:rolleyes:

So Terez, the link no longer works...it says the Blog has been deleted...Interesting.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others.

Terez
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
So Terez, the link no longer works...it says the Blog has been deleted...Interesting.
In before the housekeeping! :D

Terez
09-03-2008, 03:00 AM
The questionnaire has been retrieved, thanks to google cache (http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:Lh8LX8KyM6sJ:eagleforumalaska.blogs pot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html+sarah+palin+%22under+god%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us). :)

Davian93
09-03-2008, 06:18 AM
The questionnaire has been retrieved, thanks to google cache (http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:Lh8LX8KyM6sJ:eagleforumalaska.blogs pot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html+sarah+palin+%22under+god%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us). :)

Thanks Terez...my friends were asking for the link again as it got deleted...the Stalinists heavily at work apparently.

Brita
09-03-2008, 08:17 AM
If McCain wins I am moving to Australia.

Terez
09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
hahaha, that's awesome :D

Sei'taer
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
I think I'm gonna vote McCain...just for the hell of it. At least I can cancel out Davians vote.:D

GonzoTheGreat
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah, vote McCain. Those policies have to work eventually, don't they? Eight years of failure must've been a fluke.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, vote McCain. Those policies have to work eventually, don't they? Eight years of failure must've been a fluke.
Gonzo, you are the Greatest. :D

Crispin's Crispian
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
If it helps, I do the same thing Taer.

Isn't it funny that when a man with kids holds a job its nothing special but if a mother (and I emphasize the word MOTHER) does anything other than sit in the kitchen barefoot, the newsmedia acts as if she's just cured cancer. "How will this mother of 5 handle a job?" You never ever hear "How will this father of 5 handle a job".

It sucks being a man. It's so hard.

Actually, I heard a conservative commentator complimenting Biden about his dedication to the family the other day, so it's not like he's getting the shaft. 'Course, this was on PBS, and we know they are all lefties over there...even the righties like Pat Buchanan.

Anyway, Palin had to bring her daughter into it if she was going to join the campaign. The girl is five months pregnant, which means she will be giving birth approximately a month after the election. It's going to be awfully hard to hide that one from the news media, so why not make it an issue at the outset and let it die when everyone realizes that it doesn't fucking matter.

Damn it...part of me wants to vote for McCain just because Palin is getting so much heat for so little news.

Cary Sedai
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Damn it...part of me wants to vote for McCain just because Palin is getting so much heat for so little news.

~Washes that parts brain out with bleach~ There, all better. :D

My boss said this, this morning:

"If Palin supports family values, christianity, is pro-life and all that, then why did she not spend enough quality time with her children, specifically her 17 yo pregnant daughter? I think she spends more time thinking about her political career than her family"

I don't agree completely with that, even if she did spend quality time with her 17 yo daughter, that's no gaurantee against pregnancy. Teenagers do what they want.

It is a shame that the daughter is going to have so much media coverage, unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it.

It will have an impact on how people see Palin. I know that everyone in my office (lol - 4 people) are not voting McCain.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Little news? There is not enough news time being dedicated on her and her inexperience, hard core conversative views, and damaging connections. Instead, the media is obsessed with her daughter.

Crispin's Crispian
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Little news? There is not enough news time being dedicated on her and her inexperience, hard core conversative views, and damaging connections. Instead, the media is obsessed with her daughter.
If people want to discuss that, they absolutely should.

But I am sick of hearing about stupid things like whether she was properly vetted because of her pregnant daughter, drunk husband, or possible support of a group that, at one time, supported Alaskan secession. That's all little news.

Davian93
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM

But I am sick of hearing about stupid things like whether she was properly vetted because of her pregnant daughter, drunk husband, or possible support of a group that, at one time, supported Alaskan secession. That's all little news.

Well they could talk about her extensive record...oh wait she doesn't have one.

On the mother/father working thing...I think the newsmedia's protrayal that I mentioned above hurts equality for females...its the equivalent of mentioning that Obama's candidacy is historic because he's black...blah blah blah. A woman or man should be judged on their value as a person not on their value as a "working mother" or father etc etc...Does that make sense. I'd like our society to get to the point where it doesn't matter to anyone that Obama is black or Palin is a mother.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't agree completely with that, even if she did spend quality time with her 17 yo daughter, that's no gaurantee against pregnancy. Teenagers do what they want.

Cary, even if she did spend quality time with her daughter, it was more than likely NOT discussing the Birds and the Bees. A simple comment of, "I'd prefer you not do it, but if you're gonna act stupid and rebellious and defile the family couch or the backseat of the car, there's this newfangled contraption called a condom..."

Cary Sedai
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Cary, even if she did spend quality time with her daughter, it was more than likely NOT discussing the Birds and the Bees. A simple comment of, "I'd prefer you not do it, but if you're gonna act stupid and rebellious and defile the family couch or the backseat of the car, there's this newfangled contraption called a condom..."

uhm, Gil... I just said the same thing and you quoted it...

The quote above it, in my previous post, is what my boss said. I was using it as a reference to what a lot of people have been thinking. I said I didn't completely agree with it.

Also I highly doubt she told her daughter about birth control, she wants abstinence only taught.

Ivhon
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Nono. God doesnt like condoms and good girls dont.

So there's no need to talk about it, is there.

Now let's go ban some books!!!

Gilshalos Sedai
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I was kinda agreeing with you Cary and then expanding upon it. ;)

Palin's only saving grace is that she does practice what she preaches. At least we won't be hearing about a backroom abortion for her daughter.

Cary Sedai
09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
You know what would be really sad? If we hear of an interview with her daughter, where her daughter says "I didn't want to keep the baby, but my mother wouldnt' give me a choice"

Now, that could take place tomorrow, next year, five years, ten years from now, or never.

I'm not sure why that possibility popped up in my mind. Maybe because, I have the feeling that Palin does put her career ahead of her family. I have no facts for this, it's just a gut feeling I have. Not that it matters to me if she does or doesn't, that's her choice. I just get a vibe of hypocricy from her.

Crispin's Crispian
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Are there really sexually active 17 year-olds in the US that aren't aware of condoms or birth control? Really? I suppose there are undereducated or ignorant people that don't understand fertility.

Again:

If Palin supports family values, christianity, is pro-life and all that, then why did she not spend enough quality time with her children, specifically her 17 yo pregnant daughter? I think she spends more time thinking about her political career than her family

Palin's apparently pretty conservatively Christian, which might mean that premarital or teenage sex was absolutely forbidden, which means her daughter wasn't comfortable chatting up mom about effective methods of birth control.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Palin's only saving grace is that she does practice what she preaches. At least we won't be hearing about a backroom abortion for her daughter.
I'd bet that is only because they didn't want to take the risk. If the media would find out about that... yikes.

Cary Sedai
09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Palin's apparently pretty conservatively Christian, which might mean that premarital or teenage sex was absolutely forbidden, which means her daughter wasn't comfortable chatting up mom about effective methods of birth control.

Agreed.

I think that what my boss said, is what a lot of people are thinking, though. Of course, I'm basing that thought on the talk here in the office and the talk from my regular customers at my other job. (Don't ask me why, but I have a lot of political talks with customers at the conveinece store, maybe it's cause of gas prices...)

At any rate, her daughters pregnancy is not proof for or against wether or not she puts her family first. Teenagers are notorious for doing what they want, and usually it's the opposit of what thier parents want.

But since Palin wants to show everyone she's a christian, she's pro-life, she's for family values, etc. Most people are going to view who daughter as a failing of hers. I'm not certain why. Maybe it's for the same reason the majority would rather hear the bad than the good. Good is boring.

JSUCamel
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Are there really sexually active 17 year-olds in the US that aren't aware of condoms or birth control? Really?

Short answer: yes.

Davian93
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Short answer: yes.

He's a former teacher...he would know. Kids are amazingly ignorant of certain things...especially when their parents deliberately keep them in the dark about things and refuse to allow them to have the school tell them either...as if thats gonna stop them from having sex....because that's been proven to work so many times...

Palin's up there with Hillary for me on the annoying scale.

Ivhon
09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Yall did catch the bit about having wanted to ban books out of the Wasakallia library and then trying to fire the librarian when she objected, right?

Realnow
09-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Sounds like your describing a normal good old American family to me. Who doesn't have messed up problems and strange convictions in their life and/or family?

Crispin's Crispian
09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
But seriously. I knew about condoms in, like, 4th grade or something. I don't buy the "ignorance about what's available" argument. It's a lot more likely that they were ignorant about how easy it is to get pregnant at certain times of the month (not to mention things like how long the egg is viable after ovulation, how long after sex sperm are viable, etc.).

My point is simply that you can't blame her mom for her having unprotected sex.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Yall did catch the bit about having wanted to ban books out of the Wasakallia library and then trying to fire the librarian when she objected, right?
Yes. That was priceless.

Then there is this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5702697&page=1

The 'Likely Damaging' Report on Palin which has been scheduled for release a few days before the election, the McCain camp is taking pages from the Bush/Cheney/Rove playbook and trying to stall it until after the election.

JSUCamel
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
But seriously. I knew about condoms in, like, 4th grade or something. I don't buy the "ignorance about what's available" argument. It's a lot more likely that they were ignorant about how easy it is to get pregnant at certain times of the month (not to mention things like how long the egg is viable after ovulation, how long after sex sperm are viable, etc.).

Long answer: They know about condoms because of pop culture. But they haven't had other myths dispelled. There are an astounding number of high school students who think a girl can get pregnant just by kissing a boy. They think if you pull out, it's okay. They think if you eat certain foods, you won't get pregnant. They think all kinds of crazy things that are totally false, but because the parents don't teach them what's correct and what's incorrect, the kids don't learn.

Yes, they know you can wear a condom.
Yes, they know how to have sex.

But they also think other things because nobody has taught them otherwise, and these things they believe may counteract the wide availability of condoms and other forms of birth control.

Simply put: the parents MUST take responsibility to teach their children about sex: how it works, how to prevent pregnancy, what "facts" are actually myths, and WHY they should wait until they're older (not just "because the Bible says so" or because it's "wrong"... talk about responsibility, maturity, MONEY, time commitments, etc).

If a parent refuses to have The Talk with their child, then that child might hear rumors from friends and, since their parents haven't dispelled those rumors, believe them to be fact.

Worse, if a child goes "Mommy, can I get pregnant if a boy kisses me?" and the mother says "Don't kiss boys til you're married. That's what Jesus would do," then she hasn't dispelled the myth and the child might believe that kind of junk.

Davian93
09-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes. That was priceless.

Then there is this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5702697&page=1

The 'Likely Damaging' Report on Palin which has been scheduled for release a few days before the election, the McCain camp is taking pages from the Bush/Cheney/Rove playbook and trying to stall it until after the election.

~shakes head~

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
This is awesome. I laughed a lot. :D

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-earmarks3-2008sep03,0,6145252.story

The paragraph that states the earmarks didn't start in her town until she became Mayor is particulary compelling. And the fact that she was on McCain's list... :D Keep on touting that reformer image, McCain...

Sei'taer
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I had the talk with my daughter a long time ago (she's 17 now) and then when she hit puberty put her on birth control. I had the talk with my son (he's going to be 12 in December) 3 or 4 years ago. I explained everything to them both. My daughter sat down with her mother first, because I think it is much bettert o get the initial talk from the parent that is the same gender, then came to me and I answered all the questions I could from my perspective. We even got on the net and went over a few things. I had the initial talk with my son, and he then went and talked to his mother about it to get a female perspective. Now all I can do is hope that they are were taught well enough and have a strong enough will to do the right thing when the situation happens.

Yes, I did put my daughter on birth control. Now let me say something about that. My 2 year old was conceived while my wife was on birth control, which is only 98% affective or something like that. This is why I teach and preach abstinence to my kids. Sure, birth control may be in use, but there are chances of breakage or that 1 or 2 % rate that is left open by the pill. Abstinence, on the other hand, works 100% of the time. Always. Now, was her daughter on the pill? Dunno, but I can't assume she wasn't either, because I have been thru that deal.

Next, earmarks are legal, right? They go thru the congress all the time for and from both parties. Although I hate them and I wish we could get off them, you cannot blame someone or smear them for using them to better your town or county or state, after all, you paid the taxes so the money essentially comes from you so it might as well be used for you to have better roads, better sewers and better drinking water. Levees to keep water away during floods or hurricanes. As far as McCain going after her for it...well, Biden said some pretty intense and nasty things about Obama. Thats all politics really. It happens. If you read some of the books on the Clinton admin, Gore and Clinton despised each other. I'm sure there are others down thru history that made snide remarks about each other during the nomination process, or even in congress, or meetings with governors and then wholly received the support of the same individual later. If you read the article, it even says that Palin was "disgusted" that small towns like hers were dependent on earmarks. I live in that same world. I work for a small town and we have tons of earmarks go thru here each and every year. Thats the way government works and I won't down someone for taking a road like that, just like I wouldn't down someone who went on food stamps when they were in trouble. I don't like food stamps, and I think they are abused too, but when they are needed, well...

Next, on this Monegan thing. From what I can find, the trooper tased his son (which, for me automatically disqualifies him from being in a position of power, if he's that f'ing stupid, then he deserved to be fired). Then he told his ex that he would kill her mother and father if she left him (which is making a threat against the family of the Governor) and he got a suspension out of it. Should he and his boss both have been fired? I don't know, but I'm sure we'll find out when the report comes out. I have talked to a friend from Alaska and he says it's all just talk and it'll all come out when the report is released and probably be a non event.

And last, I think I'm going to take a pointer from the olde phartes. Maybe I'm slowly becoming one.

Vote McCain/Palin...and really piss Gonzo off (http://worldmeets.us/detelegraaf000002.shtml).

Davian93
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
On the subject of earmarks: Wouldn't getting that much in earmarks make her a really good mayor? I mean her job as mayor is to help her town and she certainly did that.

She is probably a decent governor as well which is a good thing as she'll still be governor this time next year.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
On the subject of earmarks: Wouldn't getting that much in earmarks make her a really good mayor? I mean her job as mayor is to help her town and she certainly did that.

It's just the fact she said she is against them, and that is one of McCain's selling points.

Davian93
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
It's just the fact she said she is against them, and that is one of McCain's selling points.

Getting earmarks isn't a talent that would help her as VP anyway...who the hell would she be cozying up to for free money at that point anyway?

Palin sucks.

Terez
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't buy the "ignorance about what's available" argument. It's a lot more likely that they were ignorant about how easy it is to get pregnant at certain times of the month (not to mention things like how long the egg is viable after ovulation, how long after sex sperm are viable, etc.).

My point is simply that you can't blame her mom for her having unprotected sex. Yeah I can. My mom took me to the gyn as soon as I started hanging out with my first real boyfriend, and the gyn asked me if I wanted birth control. I did. Mom preached to me from early childhood about how getting pregnant at 15 ruined her life (not in an emo way though, lol) and she made sure not only that I knew about birth control but that I had it. That's a huge step, you know...but Palin doesn't approve of "explicit" sex ed. What other sort of sex ed is there? Oh yeah. "Don't do it." :rolleyes: Get with reality, woman. lol...and you have to take birth control pills at the same time every day or they don't work. Most people who get pregnant on the pill don't do that.

I had the talk with my daughter a long time ago (she's 17 now) and then when she hit puberty put her on birth control. Oh god...I hit puberty at 11!

Vote McCain/Palin...and really piss Gonzo off (http://worldmeets.us/detelegraaf000002.shtml). hmmm...an "extremely successful" operation to neutralize an actual WMD program....and they're even cooperating with the CIA.......go Dutchies!! :D

Too bad that site can't spell "Telegraaf", though...

Sei'taer
09-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Too bad that site can't spell "Telegraaf", though...

too bad I can't read whatever fucked up language it's written in either.

Mort
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Errr, it's in english? Are you trying to read the dutch version? :) Good luck with that. :D

Sei'taer
09-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Good luck with that. :D

You ain't shittin'

tworiverswoman
09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
If McCain wins I am moving to Australia.Then where will Davian want to live?

I'm as apolitical as they come -- but I've been wandering around the internet today looking at all kinds of stuff about Palin. She has effectively shut down any possibility that I will vote Republican. I don't have any desire to vote for Obama, either. I'm hearing NOTHING about alternate candidates (other than Tanaww and Hopper -- a distinct possible write-in, if such were allowed here).

I will say that, for all the hand-fluttering and hysteria about some of the things she's said, a lot of it is being blown out of proportion. But I'm not pleased with the fact that her first act as Mayor was to fire the Police Chief and the Head Librarian for "not being supportive enough" -- this after asking the Librarian how to go about banning certain books (among which are reputed to be the Harry Potter series...). I will not vote for an Evangical Christian who allows her religious faith to guide her political choices.

Sigh.

Maybe New Zealand. It's awful pretty.

irerancincpkc
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/03/republican_women_turn_to_the_g.html

Female Republicans embraced identity politics with gusto today, touting the virtues of presumptive vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin and suggesting that any attempts to question her qualifications amounted to blatant sexism.
"She has taken on the corrupt special interests in Washington and Alaska. She has stood up for families and made a difference," Swift said. "She is more prepared than Barack Obama to be the president of the United States. ... The Republican Party will not stand by while Sarah Palin is subjected to sexist attacks."

Sorry if I've been yippy with the articles, no more for a while, I just couldn't pass this up. :confused:

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-03-2008, 09:53 PM
(among which are reputed to be the Harry Potter series...). I will not vote for an Evangical Christian who allows her religious faith to guide her political choices.

Kinda unrelated, but I think it's funny the way so many Evangelicals were gung-ho about banning Harry Potter, when Harry Potter ended up being a pretty solid parallel for Christ.

Terez
09-04-2008, 04:03 AM
I can't either, but they had the emblem from the original page right there with the correct spelling. :rolleyes: Plus, the mistake they made would have been a mistake in the English spelling as well, so there's no excuse. :)

GonzoTheGreat
09-04-2008, 04:52 AM
I can't either, but they had the emblem from the original page right there with the correct spelling. :rolleyes: Plus, the mistake they made would have been a mistake in the English spelling as well, so there's no excuse. :)
No excuse? Isn't the fact that they're Americans sufficient excuse anymore?
No Child Left Behind must've been a lot more succesful than I thought.

Terez
09-04-2008, 05:08 AM
No excuse? Isn't the fact that they're Americans sufficient excuse anymore?
No Child Left Behind must've been a lot more successful than I thought.
It wasn't, but that's still no excuse. :p

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
DC, they tried to ban Narnia, too, way back when.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 07:42 AM
DC, they tried to ban Narnia, too, way back when.

Damn talking lion is a tool of the devil!!!

Terez
09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
The Last Battle scene was very much unorthodox Christian Apologetic stuff as well - it heavily implied that good people go to heaven even if they worship evil gods...

Crispin's Crispian
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
The right wing blogs loved it, the left wing blogs thought she was mean and sarcastic.

Since most here are moderate or at least thoughtful, it will be interesting to hear your feedback.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
The right wing blogs loved it, the left wing blogs thought she was mean and sarcastic.

Since most here are moderate or at least thoughtful, it will be interesting to hear your feedback.

I'd say she was pandering to the Religious Right but then she's further right than even them...

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I haven't heard it or read it.

Brita
09-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Then where will Davian want to live?

~~sigh~~ There was a time when I thought Dav's obsession with Canada was just an excuse to come see me- but the online banter has all but stopped and now I am left with a gaping hole in my heart. Not even a giggity giggity.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

I'm just happy they're not using the Down Syndrome kid as some kind of weird prop every time she makes an appearance...that would just be wrong.

BTW, as a "crusader" for special needs families (She said she was one) she CUT the Special Needs budget in Alaska over 60%.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Oh and...Giggity. ;)

Ivhon
09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I find it discouraging that the Republicans are launching attacks from mosques.

By that I mean, every criticism of McCain is an unwaranted attack on a war hero. And every criticism or question of Palin is sexist.

As for the speech itself. What does it mean? She can read someone else's words? Ok. So can I, can I be VP? She is clearly working the base of the party. Fine. She's a vicious little tart. Fine, I expect that from both parties, but particularly the Republicans. They are just a nastier bunch. She's just your average hockey mom (Im gonna hurl the next time I hear that expression) girl next door type. I DON'T WANT MY NEIGHBOR TO BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE. I want someone who knows what they are doing. God damn, we just had 8 years of constant disaster with a guy you could sit down and drink a beer with if he weren't a recovering alcoholic (that last is not a slam at Bush... I have never slammed him for his wilder past. Its simply that you can't actually sit down and drink a beer with the guy). I want someone with a BRAIN - preferably better than mine - and the sense to USE it. Not some average schmoe. This country is turning into Idiocracy with its continuing obsession with mediocrity.

irerancincpkc
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Even though I agreed with pretty much nothing she said and I think she is evil, I will try to be objective.

She knows how to speak (read a telepromter), if not on Obama's level, then most definatly better than McCain. She energized the crowd, which doesn't take much at these things, though not in the right way.

Substance... well... I'll avoid that. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Even though I agreed with pretty much nothing she said, I will try to be objective.

REALLY? You did?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-04-2008, 12:13 PM
The Last Battle scene was very much unorthodox Christian Apologetic stuff as well - it heavily implied that good people go to heaven even if they worship evil gods...

Except when your gods are lipstick and nylons :rolleyes:

Ishara
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
REALLY? You did?

Um Gil, tell me that your sarcasm hat and not your didn't finish reading the rest of the sentence hat....lol.;)

As for the speech - she wasn't speaking to me. Never mind about her complete lack of international experience or knowledge, never mind her total lack of constructive "executive" experience. If I was a voting American I'd be seriously concerned that she has absolutely no concept of life beyond her own white picket fence backyard.

Don't deride the competition's ability to mobilize and unify communities and multiple races when the closest you've gotten to another race (and no, I'm not talking natives) is an oreo cookie or a twinkie. Please.

Just another hockey mom? What the hell does that mean? Sorry, but who plays hockey except for the rich (or at least middle class) and white?

Who and what does she stand up for? No one and nothing I know.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I find it discouraging that the Republicans are launching attacks from mosques.

By that I mean, every criticism of McCain is an unwaranted attack on a war hero. And every criticism or question of Palin is sexist.

As for the speech itself. What does it mean? She can read someone else's words? Ok. So can I, can I be VP? She is clearly working the base of the party. Fine. She's a vicious little tart. Fine, I expect that from both parties, but particularly the Republicans. They are just a nastier bunch. She's just your average hockey mom (Im gonna hurl the next time I hear that expression) girl next door type. I DON'T WANT MY NEIGHBOR TO BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE. I want someone who knows what they are doing. God damn, we just had 8 years of constant disaster with a guy you could sit down and drink a beer with if he weren't a recovering alcoholic (that last is not a slam at Bush... I have never slammed him for his wilder past. Its simply that you can't actually sit down and drink a beer with the guy). I want someone with a BRAIN - preferably better than mine - and the sense to USE it. Not some average schmoe. This country is turning into Idiocracy with its continuing obsession with mediocrity.

I am in complete agreement with the above statement. I'm sick of our country's obsession with mediocrity. Shouldn't she get a trophy or a ribbon just for showing up?

Realnow
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Um Gil, tell me that your sarcasm hat and not your didn't finish reading the rest of the sentence hat....lol.;)

As for the speech - she wasn't speaking to me. Never mind about her complete lack of international experience or knowledge, never mind her total lack of constructive "executive" experience. If I was a voting American I'd be seriously concerned that she has absolutely no concept of life beyond her own white picket fence backyard.

Don't deride the competition's ability to mobilize and unify communities and multiple races when the closest you've gotten to another race (and no, I'm not talking natives) is an oreo cookie or a twinkie. Please.

Just another hockey mom? What the hell does that mean? Sorry, but who plays hockey except for the rich (or at least middle class) and white?

Who and what does she stand up for? No one and nothing I know.

So you can't vote for Obama if your not black?

Brita
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I am in complete agreement with the above statement. I'm sick of our country's obsession with mediocrity. Shouldn't she get a trophy or a ribbon just for showing up?

LOL- oh Dav, you're hilarious. And she's a precious snowflake from Alaska- so you can't say anything bad or she'll melt way down in the South like that.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry. LOL, I even read that sentence a few times, just to make sure.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
LOL- oh Dav, you're hilarious. And she's a precious snowflake from Alaska- so you can't say anything bad or she'll melt way down in the South like that.

I dont think I've ever been this turned off by a politician...she makes Bush look like a moderate.

Terez
09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Except when your gods are lipstick and nylons :rolleyes:
True, that. I had forgotten about Susan. But we are talking about a Christian Apologist here...they rarely make any more sense than those who don't bother to apologize. :)

irerancincpkc
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry. LOL, I even read that sentence a few times, just to make sure.
My bad, for akward wording... :o

Ishara
09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
So you can't vote for Obama if your not black?
Um, what?

Seriously, where did I say that? Where did I imply that? Get a grip and re-read what I wrote please.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-04-2008, 12:43 PM

My mom's side of the family - which is Irish-Catholic-staunch-Republican - all love that about her. They think it makes her a "real American." (As if that means anything, right?) So I guess it's a selling point for some people, at least.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
My mom's side of the family - which is Irish-Catholic-staunch-Republican - all love that about her. They think it makes her a "real American." (As if that means anything, right?) So I guess it's a selling point for some people, at least.

So staunch Catholic Republicans like the Catholic Republican...stunning.

tanaww
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
So I'm wondering if the whole "Hockey Mom" thing doesn't make her a closeted Canadian?

Ishara
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
My mom's side of the family - which is Irish-Catholic-staunch-Republican - all love that about her. They think it makes her a "real American." (As if that means anything, right?) So I guess it's a selling point for some people, at least. Which is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Nothing she's said so far has made her a relevant figure in this election. She shouldn't be trying to get elected on the basis that she and her family are just "regular" middle-upper class people with no exposure to, let alone understanding of the common community and it's denizens.

(Not calling your family uncommon btw DC, just feeling like she's selling herself based on her mediocrity)

Terez
09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Aren't all Alaskans closet Canadians?

But all Canadians are closet Americans so it's not like it makes much difference...

tanaww
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Aren't all Alaskans closet Canadians?

But all Canadians are closet Americans so it's not like it makes much difference...

This is why we should just buy Canadia from England. Like the Louisiana Purchase but... bigger.

And with moose.

And Hockey.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
My bad, for akward wording...

LOL, no problem. To be honest, I may be a bit distracted by a swollen nose. My dog smacked me in the face with her great big honking paw when I was playing with her last night (this is the 100# black lab). My sinuses are still throbbing and my eyes are swollen.

Terez
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
This is why we should just buy Canadia from England. Like the Louisiana Purchase but... bigger.

And with moose.

And Hockey.
Don't forget polar bears...

Davian93
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM

If Palin keeps up her "good work" that won't be an issue for much longer.

tanaww
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM

I am trying not to think about bears (http://www.wikiality.com/Bears).

Moose, Hockey, Beer, Fishing... Canadia!

Brita
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
You know- before I started reading the Non WOT section of TL, I just had no idea Americans were so obsessed with Canada. We have always thought we were inorindinately obsessed with the US- but who knew it was actually the other way around?

Life is full of surprises.

Crispin's Crispian
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Which is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Nothing she's said so far has made her a relevant figure in this election. She shouldn't be trying to get elected on the basis that she and her family are just "regular" middle-upper class people with no exposure to, let alone understanding of the common community and it's denizens.

(Not calling your family uncommon btw DC, just feeling like she's selling herself based on her mediocrity)
It's clearly a play on the classic "soccer mom" phrase, which is so convoluted now that you can't even find a good definition of it. It was used extensively in the early 90s election campaigns to describe the suburban, minivan-driving mother demographic (not clear whether they are conservative or liberal...maybe it doesn't matter).

She's both aligning herself with that demographic, and also differentiating herself from it by using hockey instead of soccer. (They don't play soccer in Alaska, donchaknow.)

I also think she might be a little condescending by implying that hockey is a tougher sport (and that hockey moms have to be tougher) than soccer (which I guess it is).

irerancincpkc
09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
LOL, no problem. To be honest, I may be a bit distracted by a swollen nose. My dog smacked me in the face with her great big honking paw when I was playing with her last night (this is the 100# black lab). My sinuses are still throbbing and my eyes are swollen.
Ouch. Hope it feels better soon...

Oh, and I want the media to talk about the Polar Bear thing. I think more Americans would relate to that travesty than the more technical political junk.

Crispin's Crispian
09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
You know- before I started reading the Non WOT section of TL, I just had no idea Americans were so obsessed with Canada. We have always thought we were inorindinately obsessed with the US- but who knew it was actually the other way around?

It's not Canada we're obsessed with, it's Canadians. Can you post a pic?

;)

Terez
09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
We're not obsessed with Canadia. We've just always thought of it as being an extension of the US. So then we come on the internet, and encounter real Canadians, and find that they are offended and even horrified at the association. So we make fun of them for pretending to be any different than us. :D

Brita
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
It's not Canada we're obsessed with, it's Canadians. Can you post a pic?

;)

Well that kind of obsession I can handle. But you first- Terez has spoken so highly of you ;)

Davian93
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I also think she might be a little condescending by implying that hockey is a tougher sport (and that hockey moms have to be tougher) than soccer (which I guess it is).

You know because its the spectators that are playing the sport not the guys on the ice or anything. As a former ice hockey player, I am grossly offended by her.

Terez
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Terez has spoken so highly of you
He's pretty hawt for a book nerd, true.

Ishara
09-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Well that kind of obsession I can handle. But you first- Terez has spoken so highly of you ;)
That's cause dude is hot. And like probably the best (sounding, I'll admit I have no real idea) husband/ father ever. Makes it hard it to hate him when he's all smart and sensitive and stuff. And hot.

*man I need my devil smiley*

Gilshalos Sedai
09-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Ouch. Hope it feels better soon...

Thanks, you and me both. That dog has huge feet.

Brita
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
That's cause dude is hot. And like probably the best (sounding, I'll admit I have no real idea) husband/ father ever. Makes it hard it to hate him when he's all smart and sensitive and stuff. And hot.

I believe you! But in reality, I really should make my own judgment on that. It wouldn't be right to go on hearsay alone. So Muttley- now for the sake of justice and fairness you will just have to post a picture for me. I'll be waiting ;)

tanaww
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Well it is quite frustrating for us to have to keep correcting the spelling of your own country for you. It is C-A-N-A-D-I-A. Or the future states of British Columbia (that'll have to change - we'll call it Tana's Columbia), Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec, Ontario, Newfoundland... You get the idea.

(Yes, I know there are more. I wiki'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_popu lation) them. It's just that I'm lazy.)

Davian93
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I know I "americanized" all the provinces at some point on the old boards...I'll have to go find that post...gave um good American names instead of the crazy ones they have now.

Yukon=East Alaska. etc etc

Terez
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I really should make my own judgment on that. It wouldn't be right to go on hearsay alone.
Since Muttley is all modest...PM sent. ;)

Brita
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Heh heh- thanks Terez. You really are the girl with all the tricks up her sleeve. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/devil.gif

Crispin's Crispian
09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Heh heh- thanks Terez. You really are the girl with all the tricks up her sleeve. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/devil.gif
WTF? This is getting out of hand. It's not hard to find pics of me if you know where to look.

Brita
09-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry :o I guess I charmed Terez inadvertently. I have to be a little more careful with my significant charming abilities.

Davian93
09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry :o I guess I charmed Terez inadvertently. I have to be a little more careful with my significant charming abilities.

Giggity.

Brita
09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Giggity.

Now that's what I'm talking about! The healing has begun.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
09-04-2008, 03:25 PM
So staunch Catholic Republicans like the Catholic Republican...stunning.

Is she Catholic? I thought she was non-denominational, which is why I brought that up. I don't know if this is typical of most Catholics, but my family detests any religion that isn't Catholicism. To them, Protestants are only a step above Satanists. So she won them over on the "average American gal!" thing, and I totally agree with you Ishara - that's no basis for election.

Since Muttley is all modest...PM sent.

Creeper :p

Davian93
09-04-2008, 03:28 PM
IIRC she was raised Catholic but now attends Wasilla Bible Church...which is an offshoot of the Westboro Baptist Church I believe...;)

Terez
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Creeper :p
Creeper? hmph...if I was a creeper I wouldn't have announced it. :p

Sei'taer
09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
WTF? This is getting out of hand. It's not hard to find pics of me if you know where to look.

I posted a pic...or maybe Pops did it of all of us in Seattle and the ol Dog was in it. May have to hunt up that post about Seattle. Here it is! (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305&page=2) The Dog is first on the left...well, i guess you can read the post as well as me...

SauceyBlueConfetti
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I do not recall EVER seeing that picture. I need to keep up on things better.

SDog, you ARE cute. : ) Look, I agreed with Terez on something!!!

who else is in the picture? Herid Fel and 'taer and who else???

Sei'taer
09-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I do not recall EVER seeing that picture. I need to keep up on things better.

SDog, you ARE cute. : ) Look, I agreed with Terez on something!!!

who else is in the picture? Herid Fel and 'taer and who else???

from the left: SDog, Taer, Son of Elvis, Herid Fel

SauceyBlueConfetti
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM

Hockey vs. Soccer? Are ya kiddin' me? C'mon Mutt, NO CONTEST.

THE ONLY THING I can agree with this woman about is Hockey.

THE ONLY THING.

So far anyway. And it smears Hockey, a sport that is unfairly maligned and ignored. No, not enough to have hockey be the red-headed step sister of the sporting world, now it has REPUBLICAN LEANINGS!!!

GACK!!!!

Terez
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
THE ONLY THING I can agree with this woman about is Hockey.
Look, you agreed with me about something else! Well, not the hockey, but the rest of it...